Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Nalesh posted:

You'll probably be safe with 4 total of the zaw strikes, and 2 each of the zaw grips, since they're really not that good.
What about the after bullet jumping things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

10 each to max them out.

I don't suggest actually trying to do so right away, but have the blueprints at least.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Helter Skelter posted:

10 each to max them out.

I don't suggest actually trying to do so right away, but have the blueprints at least.
Are any of these things tradeable?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can I get away with never messing with zaws? They seem like something I never want to loving deal with.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khorne posted:

How many of the infested zaw parts should I buy?

You don't need the infested grips at all, unless you like how they look. Unlike the strikes which have the unique property of having viral damage, the grips are just boring number variations that end up being less optimal than the default grips anyways. Plus only strikes give mastery.

I would probably only get 1-2 each of the strikes. The rapier and staff are good so make those first. The scythe and polearm are okay if you're a completionist or you just really want a scythe. You also have the option to either build them full status to do Condition Overload stuff or try to get a mix of crit/status and do a hybrid thing, so you might want extra strikes to do both of those.

Khorne posted:

The blueprints aren't, but they said they'll come back in a future event. The gems you need to craft them are tradeable, but you'll need to farm cetus wisps yourself.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Can I get away with never messing with zaws? They seem like something I never want to loving deal with.

pretty much everything associated with the Plains is 100% optional

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Khorne posted:

Built ones are, but they're insanely cheap at 5k rep a set, that's 4 runs and you have both sets blueprints bought.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Nalesh posted:

You can rename any melee weapon.

I had no idea! Another one of those Ordis explanations I must have tuned out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

they're not really difficult in the slightest. you build 3 things. you stick them together. grats, you have a weapon.

this thing will literally tell you what the stats will be on something based on the parts: https://semlar.com/zawcalc/738

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Nalesh posted:

Built ones are, but they're insanely cheap at 5k rep a set, that's 4 runs and you have both sets blueprints bought.
I was looking more to sell them to people at some point in the future.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Johnny Joestar posted:

they're not really difficult in the slightest. you build 3 things. you stick them together. grats, you have a weapon.

this thing will literally tell you what the stats will be on something based on the parts: https://semlar.com/zawcalc/738

The difficult part is grinding ostron rep to level 3 or 4 to use the link you want and then grinding fishing and mining resources to actually build everything.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How to do a Melee-only Sortie Defense the Nova way:

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Just started playing this today, and loving it so far. Slowly figuring things out re mods, fabrication etc. How do I get more platinum though? The OP says I can get it through trade? Is that just selling mods? Because somewhere in the thread it also says don't do that. Or is trade something that's introduced later that I shouldn't worry about yet?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
You can sell mods to the game for credits. That's a terrible idea, you should never do that. You can also trade mods to players for platinum, which is an extremely good idea, but you have to be at least mastery rank 2 to trade with players.

You should really only spend platinum on extra warframe and weapon slots when you're starting out, almost everything else you can get for free by playing the game. Slots are one of the few things you can only get with platinum and pretty much the most important of those.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Flopstick posted:

Just started playing this today, and loving it so far. Slowly figuring things out re mods, fabrication etc. How do I get more platinum though? The OP says I can get it through trade? Is that just selling mods? Because somewhere in the thread it also says don't do that. Or is trade something that's introduced later that I shouldn't worry about yet?

Trade's introduced pretty early on but probably later in than you are right now. You get plat from selling mods and some other stuff to pubbies in trade chat. The "don't sell mods" is referring to "don't sell mods for credits from within the mod menu" because it's not worth it

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Aha. Gotcha. Cheers!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Washout posted:

I did this with a pretty godly riven and they are just trash, you kill one thing and then have to reload they are just a totally useless secondary, all the ammo consumption of twin graks without any of the ammo capacity.

Can't wait to try it!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is it just me or has prime stuff gotten more common over the last year?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I wouldn't know but I do know from playing for real the past two months there's only like, maybe a dozen or so prime weapons left for me to unlock and most are probably the vaulted ones. I've got all the primaries but latron p which was vaulted like, forever ago, and the only non-vaulted prime frames left are like hrdroid, nekros, and vauban.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Berke Negri posted:

I wouldn't know but I do know from playing for real the past two months there's only like, maybe a dozen or so prime weapons left for me to unlock and most are probably the vaulted ones. I've got all the primaries but latron p which was vaulted like, forever ago, and the only non-vaulted prime frames left are like hrdroid, nekros, and vauban.
I can check if I have a latron prime set. I had 4 sets but I was selling them off. They're relatively cheap.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
dumb newbie time! I just hit my first wall with the Jackal boss fight. Any special thing I should be aware of beyond the obvious 'hit the legs, kill the drones, don't touch the mines' poo poo? It feels like I'm missing something.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

dumb newbie time! I just hit my first wall with the Jackal boss fight. Any special thing I should be aware of beyond the obvious 'hit the legs, kill the drones, don't touch the mines' poo poo? It feels like I'm missing something.

Switch to public and have pubbies destroy it for you. Don't worry about feeling slow, no one is going to be mad at low MR player for something like that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even with duckets, there is a constant supply of relics and a constant supply of prime parts from using those relics.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Jackal is your introduction into how weirdly unintuitive and obtuse the "boss mechanics" of these things are. Especially when if you do it "wrong" a few shots it locks the entire guy into invulnerability and you have no idea what's happening and you want Canada to answer for this, somehow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

sexpig by night posted:

Make sure to upgrade the mods on your gun! A lot of newbies kinda ignore this system at first but mods are actually the main source of progression in terms of getting tankier and killier. If all you have is level 0 serration and ammo drum you're gonna take forever to beat him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

is it better to mod for shield, armor, or health, btw?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Early on in low level content shield is nice because it regenerates automatically, and in low level missions you don't get a lot of enemies to kill which means you don't get a lot of health drops.
Unfortunately several things screw over shield-focused players, like magnetic procs reducing your shields or toxin and bleed damage bypassing them entirely. If you rely on shields for too long you're gonna have a real unpleasant time getting oneshot through them by some infested poison cloud or an unlucky slash proc from a grineer bullet. So later on, health is more valuable.

Armor on its own is pretty useless for everyone (except rhino/nezha/frost, whose defensive abilities all get more hp from higher armor), but armor mods alongside health mods can be strong depending on the frame. Note though that armor only reduces damage to health not shields, so you really want a health mod too to get the most out of it. Also note that armor increasing mods give a percent bonus, which is only really good on frames who already have good base armor (ideally 150+). Anything less than that and you'll be more survivable by replacing the armor mod with a shield mod.

If in doubt, always go health.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

is it better to mod for shield, armor, or health, btw?

This really depends on the frame you're using. Beefy frames such as Rhino, Frost, or Inaros you want to focus on armor & health. Squishier frames such as Ember or Nova and you may want to push shields & health. Other frames like Trinity or Loki, who can maintain infinite shields & damage reduction and almost-permanent invisibility respectively, have no need to pump up any of them.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

And Tyler Too! posted:

How to do a Melee-only Sortie Defense the Nova way:

It blows my mind that you can't tell sortie ops what to do when you can tell syndicate ops to stay put just fine.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Imprisoning the guy in Gara's 4 is my new favourite thing

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
How do you find time-limited missions on the map?? Apparently there's one available, but I don't see anything but the same ones that were there before? They must be distinguishable somehow, so what am I missing here?

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Flopstick posted:

How do you find time-limited missions on the map?? Apparently there's one available, but I don't see anything but the same ones that were there before? They must be distinguishable somehow, so what am I missing here?

It's the "alerts" tab on the starmap. Looks like an ! in a triangle.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Zelmel posted:

It's the "alerts" tab on the starmap. Looks like an ! in a triangle.

Thanks. I've clicked on everything! The only thing that looks like a triangle is the matchmaking thing. (On PS4 if that makes a difference?)

There's the matchmaking, an R1 quests menu, something about refining (L3), and the chat window. There's a blinking icon in the top right that says '2d22h' but nothing seems to activate it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Flopstick posted:

Thanks. I've clicked on everything! The only thing that looks like a triangle is the matchmaking thing. (On PS4 if that makes a difference?)

There's the matchmaking, an R1 quests menu, something about refining (L3), and the chat window. There's a blinking icon in the top right that says '2d22h' but nothing seems to activate it.

You're so close! Keep mashing the L1 or R1 to tab through available mission types. Quests will be first if you have them, then the time restricted alerts, then enemy alerts, etc

The 2d thing is a booster you got, you can tell the type by its icon. Chains are affinity

Speaking of PS4, who all needs clan invites?

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 26, 2017

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Raptor1033 posted:

You're so close! Keep mashing the L1 or R1 to tab through available mission types. Quests will be first if you have them, then the time restricted alerts, then enemy alerts, etc

The 2d thing is a booster you got, you can tell the type by its icon. Chains are affinity

Oh yes, thanks! Swear that wasn't there before! Time for some loot! :)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raptor1033 posted:

Speaking of PS4, who all needs clan invites?

I do, PSN is SirBadgington

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The OP says the 75 platinum frames aren't the worst buy in the world, I'm assuming that means they're decent buys when on sale for 56 space ninja robot dollars?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 26, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

fknlo posted:

The OP says the 75 platinum frames aren't the worst buy in the world, I'm assuming that means they're decent buys when on sale for 56 space ninja robot dollars?

You can make all of them very easily at this point.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If you have to buy a frame with plat, buy Equinox. Grinding it out is not worth eroding your sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Khorne posted:

I can check if I have a latron prime set. I had 4 sets but I was selling them off. They're relatively cheap.

hell yeah I'm down I treat gaudy instruments of killing like pokemon