Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you have a real Gen 5 cartridge somewhere you can just copy your save over to that and transfer from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Random googling has led to opinions that rednand may be no longer needed on WiiU so the 64GB card required for my black console may no longer be needed. Is this fact or is the answer to shut up and buy a drat 64GB card?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mailer posted:

Random googling has led to opinions that rednand may be no longer needed on WiiU so the 64GB card required for my black console may no longer be needed. Is this fact or is the answer to shut up and buy a drat 64GB card?

The answer is I never used rednand in the first place and I've been fine. So. Do what you want. Odds are 5.5.3 isn't going to happen unless it drops with BOTW DLC 2 so nintendo has stopped trying to patch the wii u and all you really need is a haxchi install and everything should be fine unless 5.5.3 actually happens and breaks haxchi. 5.5.2 didn't break haxchi.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know this isn't a Nintendo console, but I couldn't figure out where else to post this. The PS3 has been completely hacked as of today, with no need for a 47 wire NAND mod that only a surgeon can install. It can be done entirely via the web browser!

http://www.psx-place.com

Now me being mentally ill I purchased a PS3 the day it came out in 2006 and left it in my closet untouched for several years knowing one day I would need to be on an old firmware to hack it if a hack ever came out. So my system is already hacked. However, I am so happy at this news because I like it when other people are made happy by things that made me happy (a hacked PS3). Get yourself a 60GB or 20GB fat PS3 for cheap and no matter what the firmware version it has installed, you can run any and every PS1, PS2, and PS3 game right from an external (or internal; or both) hard drive!

Glad I could spread the good news and that more people can join me on the awesomeness that is a hacked fully-BC PS3!

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
OK cool but what the gently caress is that site and what is up with those "instructions"? Do you have a link that actually makes sense?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sharktamer posted:

OK cool but what the gently caress is that site and what is up with those "instructions"? Do you have a link that actually makes sense?

That is pretty much the first place it was posted at, so there really isn't a better guide. I didn't really read it because my PS3 is already hacked (no joke I actually bought one on launch and kept it sealed until a hack came out) so really have no reason to read the guide. But it seems like it has to be a fat PS3 (which is what you should be using anyway; unless it's the worthless Metal Gear Solid one with zero PS2 compatibility) so the guide does not work for the slim or super slim just yet. Only the fats. Anyway, it seems like you need to set your phone as a hotspot and do some shenanigans so that the web browser can load the files needed.

Now you can see why Nintendo did not ship the Switch with a web browser.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It says it works with the earlier slims. Also what the hell is up with your IZ thread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So ANY fat ps3 will work? My local pawn joint always has a few hanging around. Now I guess I have an excuse to grab one.

Aren’t the fat ones also the most unreliable ones?

E: This link makes it a bit clearer which models are in and which are out.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 25, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So ANY fat ps3 will work? My local pawn joint always has a few hanging around. Now I guess I have an excuse to grab one.

Aren’t the fat ones also the most unreliable ones?

Any fat PS3 will work, yes. You will want to try and get a 60gb or 20gb one so you can rip PS2 games to the hard drive.

The fat PS3s are pretty unreliable, yes. The launch one that I kept sealed in a closet I actually opened up and replaced the thermal paste as a precaution. There aren't many more precautionary fixes that I am aware of. I did some precautionary stuff to the original XBox 360s (replaced the x-clamps with bolts) and out of the 17 I did that to, zero have failed (friends and family and mine so they'd tell me if it ever red ringed). I wish I knew what was the best course of action for the fat PS3. I think those ridiculous clamps they use for the heatsinks is really dumb as well (puts ridiculous pressure on the motherboard but I am not sure what to replace it with).

Anyway if you truly are worried you can get a kit on ebay that will replace all the lead-free solder with lead solder, so it's way less likely to crack. The failures of the PS3 are identical to the 360: too much heat + idiotic heatsink clamps + lead-free solder = GPUs and CPUs detaching themselves from the motherboard.

I am not sure if the leaded solder kit on eBay is difficult to do. I actually bought a 2nd PS3 from a guy on eBay who specializes in using lead solder because I was worried about that very thing. For what it's worth, my lead-free 60GB PS3 has never failed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

While we’re on the subject of non-Nintendo console hacking, what can you do with first gen 360s these days? I just picked one up due to that crazy promotion GameStop did for today.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

While we’re on the subject of non-Nintendo console hacking, what can you do with first gen 360s these days? I just picked one up due to that crazy promotion GameStop did for today.

From what I understand, you can do a JTAG to them if you are on an old enough firmware. The JTAG I believe is considered to be the best hack because it has a 100% success rate of working, and requires very little in the way of a modchip to operate. I had an OG 360 on an old dashboard and I hosed up soldering the points because they ripped right off the motherboard with almost no effort. So I never got to JTAG it. I found another 360 on an old kernel/dashboard and since it was a different revision, the solder points were way easier. I JTAGed that one just fine. It basically lets me boot up an alternate dashboard if the USB stick is in.

Oddly enough it is recommended to use the Microsoft dashboard for ripping and playing games from the hard drive (it obviously won't check if the disc is in the drive). I almost never go to the alternate dashboard (called Freestyle Dash).

This was a long time ago but reset-glitch hack (RGH) is seen as a much less reliable mod. Supposedly you have to keep rebooting the system for it to work. I am not sure if this is still the case. But it is compatible with a lot more systems than the JTAG method.

It's such a shitshow trying to look up XBox 360 modchips (not really mod chips but ways to program the NAND) that I would absolutely love it if someone in this thread had a more comprehensive guide or info that wasn't from 2009.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

But it seems like it has to be a fat PS3 (which is what you should be using anyway; unless it's the worthless Metal Gear Solid one with zero PS2 compatibility) so the guide does not work for the slim or super slim just yet. Only the fats. Anyway, it seems like you need to set your phone as a hotspot and do some shenanigans so that the web browser can load the files needed.
Mine was MGS4 bundle (admittedly, the first wave of it) and has hardware BC?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Mine was MGS4 bundle (admittedly, the first wave of it) and has hardware BC?

Sony were being deliberately confusing back then as far as I am concerned. The first shipment of the Metal Gear Solid 80 GB fats had partial PS2 compatibility (they removed the emotion engine) but later shipments of the MGS bundle got rid of PS2 compatibility entirely. I remember people flipping the hell out that the only warning about this was a tiny strip of text on the back of the box near the copyright info.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I thought the gunmetal grey MGS PS3s were the "bad" ones (they were also 40gb, iirc) I don't remember the black 80gb ones not working.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I thought the gunmetal grey MGS PS3s were the "bad" ones (they were also 40gb, iirc) I don't remember the black 80gb ones not working.

yeah ALL the 40gb systems removed PS2 compatibility.

SOME 80gb units could do partial PS2. Some 80gb units could not play PS2 games at all. It was such a goddamn confusing time

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Fat PS3s in general are flimsy as poo poo.

e: oh i thought "bad" and "not working" were in reference to how they all break not backwards compatibility

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How is PS1/2 emulation these days?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

absolutely anything posted:

Fat PS3s in general are flimsy as poo poo.

e: oh i thought "bad" and "not working" were in reference to how they all break not backwards compatibility
Well, both are true. I'm on my second fat PS3 and that only because I haven't fired it up much or I'm sure I'd be on my third.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How is PS1/2 emulation these days?

PS1 is fine. You can go with some basic ps1 emulator that just does stuff relatively perfectly or you can use epsxe and throw in plugins and try upscaling stuff, etc. Games work fine generally.

PS2 is still a little bit behind dolphin/wii with some games not working in hardware mode right/parts of games not working in hardware mode right. However they got mipmapping working properly on the nightly branch so you can finally play ace combat 5 and ace combat zero in hardware mode with upscaling (though ace combat zero has pre-mission menu bugs in hardware mode).

Still some imperfections here and there on games when upscaling/hardware mode causing odd issues depending on the game.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

I know this isn't a Nintendo console, but I couldn't figure out where else to post this. The PS3 has been completely hacked as of today, with no need for a 47 wire NAND mod that only a surgeon can install. It can be done entirely via the web browser!

http://www.psx-place.com

Now me being mentally ill I purchased a PS3 the day it came out in 2006 and left it in my closet untouched for several years knowing one day I would need to be on an old firmware to hack it if a hack ever came out. So my system is already hacked. However, I am so happy at this news because I like it when other people are made happy by things that made me happy (a hacked PS3). Get yourself a 60GB or 20GB fat PS3 for cheap and no matter what the firmware version it has installed, you can run any and every PS1, PS2, and PS3 game right from an external (or internal; or both) hard drive!

Glad I could spread the good news and that more people can join me on the awesomeness that is a hacked fully-BC PS3!
Awesome, I got a PS3 with a broken DVD drive a few months ago and havent had a chance to even hook it up. Its an 80 gb Motorstorm bundle system so is that the fat kind? I have no clue

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

African AIDS cum posted:

Awesome, I got a PS3 with a broken DVD drive a few months ago and havent had a chance to even hook it up. Its an 80 gb Motorstorm bundle system so is that the fat kind? I have no clue

Yep, the motorstorm PS3 will play PS2 games via partial emulation.

Just be warned with the broken drive that a lot of PS3 games won't work. The reason is a good number of them require a PS3 game be in the drive (any game). What happens is you go to the MultiMan homebrew program and then select which PS3 game you want to play. Then it kicks you back to the main PS3 menu and you go to where the disc usually is and instead of whatever game you have in there, the game you chose in MultiMan shows up. I think some PS3 games will work without a disc in the drive but from what I understand a lot won't. If you can somehow cram a single disc in there you will be smooth sailing (unless your issue is the laser won't read).

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I didn't even know what model of ps3 I had, I'm shocked to find out that this hulking monstrosity is a "slim" model.

Does that mean I'm out now?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sharktamer posted:

I didn't even know what model of ps3 I had, I'm shocked to find out that this hulking monstrosity is a "slim" model.

Does that mean I'm out now?

This new exploit works on early slim models, so you need to check the model number to narrow it down.

Look on the underside, if it's a CECH-2xxx it's hackable but if it's a CECH-3xxx or CECH-4xxx then it's not.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
It's CECH-2xxx, I guess I have myself a project.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

repiv posted:

This new exploit works on early slim models, so you need to check the model number to narrow it down.

Look on the underside, if it's a CECH-2xxx it's hackable but if it's a CECH-3xxx or CECH-4xxx then it's not.

How high is the risk of me being locked out of Netflix and Youtube once an update hits? It doesn't really matter on Nintendo consoles, but the PS3 is basically my media player.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Just be warned with the broken drive that a lot of PS3 games won't work. The reason is a good number of them require a PS3 game be in the drive (any game).

I thought Cobra had bumped discless compatibility up to 100%?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

I thought Cobra had bumped discless compatibility up to 100%?

Honestly I haven't heard the name Cobra since that USB device they made a bunch of years ago. Is there a different method of running games rather than Multiman that does not need a disc in the drive?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Time to go dig out my launch 60.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Honestly I haven't heard the name Cobra since that USB device they made a bunch of years ago. Is there a different method of running games rather than Multiman that does not need a disc in the drive?

It's the very same Cobra. I think the developer decided to release/leak the code without the DRM dongle dependency when the product was more or less abandoned, and its functionality has since been integrated into other CFW like Rebug.

multiMAN has a Cobra mode called mmCM where it can hook into this, but I myself and probably many others prefer webMAN these days.

webMAN is a plugin that gets loaded on system startup which launches up a web server for choosing games and configuring it, but also populates a menu right in the XMB where you can load PS1/2/3 games directly. There are also some button combinations to switch between recent games and stuff like that, but I could never manage to remember them for very long.

Presentation wise it's barbones compared to multiMAN but it's so much faster to mount games without having to leave the menu. The last selected game also gets auto mounted on launch which is really nice.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

It's the very same Cobra. I think the developer decided to release/leak the code without the DRM dongle dependency when the product was more or less abandoned, and its functionality has since been integrated into other CFW like Rebug.

multiMAN has a Cobra mode called mmCM where it can hook into this, but I myself and probably many others prefer webMAN these days.

webMAN is a plugin that gets loaded on system startup which launches up a web server for choosing games and configuring it, but also populates a menu right in the XMB where you can load PS1/2/3 games directly. There are also some button combinations to switch between recent games and stuff like that, but I could never manage to remember them for very long.

Presentation wise it's barbones compared to multiMAN but it's so much faster to mount games without having to leave the menu. The last selected game also gets auto mounted on launch which is really nice.

Oh that's awesome. I gotta check that out! How is compatibility? I always have to do something wacky in MultiMan to get games working like check off that it's running from USB or redo all the file permissions or something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sharktamer posted:

I wrote up a whole guide of the steps I followed to mod a spare PS3 I had so hopefully it will help you out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841665&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post478724580

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Unrelated to the PS3 updates, does anyone have experience with Nintendont and GameCube injections on the Wii U? Got a bunch working but I've been hitting a snag on a couple of games which should be compatible with it, namely I can't get Melee to run, which is annoying, since I have a GameCube controller adapter for my Wii U.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is the recommended GBA emulator for a modded 3ds? Specifically to play FFV.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the recommended GBA emulator for a modded 3ds? Specifically to play FFV.

The 3DS can nativity play GBA games. I used this GBA injector to install FFV during the fiesta.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gba-vc-injector-for-3ds.438057/

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Many thanks.

Can you use cheats with this?

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 26, 2017

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Only the kind that get patched directly into the rom, it uses a very stripped down version of "virtual console", with no extra features beyond actually playing the games.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Oh that's awesome. I gotta check that out! How is compatibility? I always have to do something wacky in MultiMan to get games working like check off that it's running from USB or redo all the file permissions or something.

Compatibility is 100% as far as I'm aware, it has been in my experience so far anyway. Haven't had to fiddle with any settings since moving to COBRA and webMAN.

Games with big files split I think you still can't use without caching them to the internal drive or moving the whole game over, but what you apparently can do with COBRA is directly mount split ISOs on FAT32 formatted external storage. Think I'm going to try that soon for my split games as they've been a hassle with very little internal storage to work with.

NTFS support is also a thing, but it seems a bit more fiddly and only supports ISO format. You can also mount games from network shares.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

Compatibility is 100% as far as I'm aware, it has been in my experience so far anyway. Haven't had to fiddle with any settings since moving to COBRA and webMAN.

Games with big files split I think you still can't use without caching them to the internal drive or moving the whole game over, but what you apparently can do with COBRA is directly mount split ISOs on FAT32 formatted external storage. Think I'm going to try that soon for my split games as they've been a hassle with very little internal storage to work with.

NTFS support is also a thing, but it seems a bit more fiddly and only supports ISO format. You can also mount games from network shares.

Just wondering but why does everyone still recommend rebug? Even the latest guides.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Just wondering but why does everyone still recommend rebug? Even the latest guides.

It's the most feature-rich custom firmware out there for both CEX and DEX, while still being absolutely rock solid. This does mean releases take a while after new firmware updates are released by Sony. Nothing else really comes close though.

If you visit their site at rebug.me there's a long feature list posted alongside the latest version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Keito posted:

It's the most feature-rich custom firmware out there for both CEX and DEX, while still being absolutely rock solid. This does mean releases take a while after new firmware updates are released by Sony. Nothing else really comes close though.

If you visit their site at rebug.me there's a long feature list posted alongside the latest version.

The feature list is all well and good, but I cannot for the life of me, either on their site or psx-place, find a explanation of what any of it means. I get that cobra lets you run off isos so you can play ps2 stuff without a backwards compatible console, but I have no idea what difference there is between say, ferrox and rebug, besides a ton of debugging stuff.

I wrote up a whole guide of the steps I followed to mod a spare PS3 I had so hopefully it will help you out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841665&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post478724580

Thanks for this, though.