Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Wirth1000 posted:

Welcome to the off-season thread for Formula I. The regular season thread is bad enough... how low can we go?

Competitive state after 2017

• Lewis Hamilton is the reigning Driver God-Emperor of The Greatest Racing Series Of All-Time as we go into 2018.
  • Hulkenberg still unfulfilled in terms of his potential. Time is the fire in which we burn and he will be jumping out of the flames any year now to claim his own Champion Title.
  • Stroll poo poo, so what
  • Mercedes ends the season with another crushing victory over Ferrari
  • Bottas rules, thread drools

Teams of 2018
As of the end of the 2017 season

Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport | 2017 World Constructors' Champion
Drivers: Lewis Hamilton (44), Valtteri Bottas (77)
(Both returning for 2018)

Mercedes have done it again with their 4th constructors' championship in a row. Just non-stop churning out dominating car after dominating car. Can they do it again in the 2018 Formula I season??? We await with abated breath to see if the gently caress ups in Maranello can actually take the fight to them.

Scuderia Ferrari
Drivers: Sebastian Vettel (5), Kimi Raikkonen (7)

Perpetual gently caress-ups. Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Musical chairs of management and technical staff. Heavily politicized internal structure. Endlessly endearing. Most popular team with the largest worldwide passionate fans. Everyone knows what a Ferrari is.

Red Bull Racing
Drivers: Daniel Ricciardo (3), Max Verstappen (33)

Sahara Force India FI Team
Drivers: Sergio Perez (11), Esteban Ocon (31)

Looking to rebrand from their Indian identity as they admit it heavily restricts their ability to attain sponsorship for some reason probably cause of racism or that nobody in India actually gives a gently caress.

Williams Martini Racing
Drivers: Felipe Massa (19), Lance Stroll (18)
(Massa retiring, Stroll remains for 2018)

The team that all other teams look to as a role model. The gold standard. Legends of motorsport and Formula I. New to FI? This is the team to root for, cry for, scream for and experience ecstasy.

Renault Sport FI Team
Drivers: Nico Hulkenberg (27), Carlos Sainz Jr. (55)

Renault is back. Process of rebuilding the team, expanding the factory and hiring a fuckload of staff to make them once more a competitive force in FI.

Scuderia Toro Rosso
Drivers: Pierre Gasly (10), Brendon Hartley (28)
(Drivers retained)

This team exists so Red Bull can have an extra vote.

Haas FI Team
Drivers: Romain Grosjean (8), Kevin Magnussen (20)
(Drivers retained)

They seem stable and have established themselves. Some sponsors might be nice to have for next season. Gene Haas might just say gently caress it and ditch, who knows?

McLaren Honda
Drivers: Fernando Alonso (14), Stoffel Vandoorne (2)
(Drivers retained)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814128&userid=118938

Sauber FI Team
Drivers: Marcus Ericsson (9), Pascal Wehrlein (94)
(Ericsson yet to be confirmed, Wehrlein gone)

Meet Ferrari's newest beau after ditching Haas. Also, an ancient poo poo team which peaked when BMW bought them then lingered on after BMW hosed off. 2018 a new era of Sauber?!

Drivers of 2018

Not everyone has been confirmed so who cares.

Discord, IRC, Misc.

We're on a fairly active Discord so come on in.

Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu

There is also an IRChannel but come on... let go already.

IRC: irc://irc.synirc.net/F1

Previous Threads

2016-17 Off-season | 2016 season | 2015-16 Off-season | 2015 Part 1|2015 Part 2 | 2014-15 Off-season | 2014 season | 2013-14 Off-season | 2013 season | 2012-13 Off season | 2012 season
2011-12 Off-season | 2011 Part 1|2011 Breakaway (stop talking about phones!)|2011 Part 2 | 2010-2011 Off Season | 2010 Part 1|2010 Part 2 | 2009-2010 Off season
2009 News and Views|2009 Part 1|2009 Breakaway Thread|2009 Part 2 | 2008-2009 Off season | 2008 Part 1|2008 Part 2|2008 Part 3 | 2007-2008 Off season
2007 Part 1|2007 Part 2|2007 Part 3 | 2006 Part 1|2006 Part 2|2006 Part 3|2006 Part 4|2006 Part 5 | 2005 Whole Season | 2005 Part WTF | 2004 Whole Season

i didnt read this poo poo F1 is dead because the logo is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
F1 logos have always been poo poo to be fair.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stroll has his work cut out for him. A big improvement is needed next year. It remains to be seen if he can deliver on the flashes of promise his had this year. He’s looked downright awful otherwise.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

Stroll has his work cut out for him. A big improvement is needed next year. It remains to be seen if he can deliver on the flashes of promise his had this year. He’s looked downright awful otherwise.

Nervously Lance sat down onto the sofa while Esteban went into the kitchen to fetch some coffee. When he came back he looked a bit sheepish.
"I'm sorry but I can't offer you any sugar. I wanted to borrow some from Max but ... well, he gave me you instead and I can't put you into the coffee, right?" Lance gaped at the Frenchman but couldn't say anything. Esteban sighed.
"Lance, listen." He began. "I don't know if I did something to you or if you just don't like me. But please, please just tell me so that I finally can get over it."
At this Lance snapped out of his thoughts.
"Why would I not like you?" He asked in bewilderment. Esteban shot him a quick glance before averting his eyes again.
"It's just ... you seem to avoid me. I figured you didn't want to talk to me but I don't understand why!" Lance's mouth hang open. Then he quickly shook his head.
"No! Nonono, that's a misunderstanding!" He cried out. "I just ... well, I ... oh gently caress it!" Lance took a deep breath. "I really like you, Esteban. But ... I made such a fool out of myself when you visited for the first time! I thought you didn't want a clumsy guy like me. So I just..." Lance trailed off. Esteban's eyes lit up in realization.
"Oh, Lance!" He cooed and quickly sat down next to the Canadian. "I thought you were adorable! You looked so cute back then that I just wanted to haul you up from the floor and kiss you right there. When you avoided me I started to fear the worst but now..." Lance gaped at the Frenchman.
"You ... you wanted to...?" Esteban nodded.
"And I still want to. What about you?"
And instead of answering verbally Lance just grabbed Esteban and pulled him into a searing kiss.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

A grand slam is what lance gives his sister.

:discourse:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0-4ijHYK2s

How the hell did I miss this

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

poty posted:

I hope the branding changes include making this the official F1 song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97jfl21c4Ek
:haw:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

poty posted:

I hope the branding changes include making this the official F1 song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97jfl21c4Ek

"Daddy! Make me as bad as Lance!"

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

track day bro! posted:

i didnt read this poo poo F1 is dead because the logo is bad

The new F1 logo does not have enough Tilke

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Season was okayish, first third was actually really fun.

Now let's see if all four engines are closer together next year, and what will be the first Halo-induced injury.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

No idea, it's quite old

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
stroll driver of the day

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Let me be the first in this thread to say Kimi is poo poo and it's frankly a travesty that he still has a seat in 2018 let alone in a championship contending team

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
Hey guys, that was quite some season, huh? Remember Well Done Baku? I think that it'll be rare for us to see a race like that one again, get it? Haha "rare".

In other news, I hope everyone continues to roast that new Force India logo for all eternity, speaking of logos, I hope they never update the F1 logo. Hey did you guy see know that there is actually a "1" hidden in the negative space next to the "F"?

I sure didn't. Haha wow what an idiot I am!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

aequalis posted:

Haha wow what an idiot I am!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If anybody wants to read a more in depth article about the design of the new logo:

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formula-1-unveils-new-identity-wieden-kennedy-london/

e:

delete this crap

gret fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 26, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

gret posted:

If anybody wants to read a more in depth article about the design of the new logo:

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formula-1-unveils-new-identity-wieden-kennedy-london/

e:

delete this crap

F1 Regular and F1 Torque typefaces are pretty cool and good. F1 Turbo is total garbage

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

gret posted:

e:

delete this crap

quote:

they had a logo but they didn’t really have an identity

Advertisment agency bullshit, I work in this arena

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
GP2 logo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

F1 Turbo is the old NASA font

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Haha! Joke's on you! Took the bait; hook, line and sinker!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

gret posted:

e:

delete this crap

This looks like poo poo.

Thanks, America.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

gret posted:

e:

delete this crap

loving lmbo its W+K. two things here.

1. Wieden and Kennedy were the ad firm very much responsible for Nike's success in the 90s and then took on Subaru's North American advertising and you should very much read about that period of time because it should give you incredible insight into who wieden and kennedy are and why this new logo means gently caress all despite them saying it does.

quote:

Quite frankly I just thought, look, there’s no way that we’re going to do an ‘F’ and ‘1’ any better than they’ve done it; it’s a beautifully simple way of doing it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Some tasty ligatures in the typefaces too
:goonsay:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm not really sure what's going on in that picture but this is my favourite part of it

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

HJB posted:

I'm not really sure what's going on in that picture but this is my favourite part of it

Massa/Grosjean at Williams as well

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

gret posted:

e:

delete this crap
Now I know what it reminds me of.

It's like the kind of logo that'd be on the box for a cheap knockoff toy F1 car you'd find in a newsagents or poundland.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
it's really bad to use more than two fonts at once, let alone three, let alone ones with letter width and kerning that vary that much

the whole thing looks like an unreadable mess, like something i'd have designed when i was 16

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That's a smorgasbord of examples, you'd never actually have that stuff all together

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Everything just seems like a huge regression to coincide with America's own regression and collapse.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Journo guy in the paddock Phillip Horton got some driver opinions on the new logo:

https://twitter.com/PHortonF1/status/934810516228399104

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tsaedje posted:

a championship contending team

:laffo:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yes there's nothing wrong with the old one, it is in fact very good. The new one is not amazing but it's perfectly fine, it's totally acceptable, extremely ok, mediocre at worst.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Why are the typefaces/font different for the letters in Verstappen and Ricciardo in the thing on the left there?
That’s pretty messy and inconsistent.

Change is good, I like what they’re doing, but they could have incorporated the old logo. It wouldn’t seem too out of place, just add more curves to it if that’s what they wanted.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

I didn't say how well they'd contend for it, and they'd've been closer in the WCC this year with a non poo poo driver instead of Raikkonen

In a way I'm glad they're idiots who keep paying him huge amounts to be poo poo, but I'd far rather he'd gently caress off

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Somebody point out to me what the hell Kimi brings to Ferrari at this point?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Poor Are Dan, once again screwed by the racists at Red Bull, and allowing Bland Kimi to pass him in the driver's tally at the end of the season.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Wirth1000 posted:

Somebody point out to me what the hell Kimi brings to Ferrari at this point?

Ice cream! Hahahahahahahaha having a poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Completely missed this but back in April Jos the Boss got arrested for some brawl or whatever.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/f1-star-max-verstappens-dad-10150593

Which apparently lead to Jos' dad (Max's grandfather) to seek out a meeting with Helmut Marko to ensure that Jos' insanity wouldn't affect Max's career.

http://en.f1i.com/news/264318-verstappen-family-rattled-jos-antics.html

• Locked thread