Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want my old av back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I want the old F1 logo back along with the mid 2000s TV graphic packages with 2017 cars minus the shark fin without the halo and the 360 cam wort but we don't always get what we want, Dr. Gonzo.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DoctorGonzo posted:

I want my old av back

Only if the accompanying red text reads 'FERRARI ARE UTTER poo poo'

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think there are supposed to be three 1s on that logo, but only the 1 in the negative space looks like a proper 1.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

I think there are supposed to be three 1s on that logo, but only the 1 in the negative space looks like a proper 1.

The new logo is meant to be two cars coming around a corner and racing towards the finish line which is supposed to be the I which somebody that may not be aware of F1 would assume is FI but anyway it's actually meant to be a 1.

The actual explanation of the logo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The finish line isn’t as wide as a car tho.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

Only if the accompanying red text reads 'FERRARI ARE UTTER poo poo'

Stop trolling

Also what the gently caress is this poo poo

https://twitter.com/F1/status/934798729915146241

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Wirth1000 posted:

Journo guy in the paddock Phillip Horton got some driver opinions on the new logo:

https://twitter.com/PHortonF1/status/934810516228399104
Well, seeing as Hamilton took one look at the logo and promptly gave his cap back to Coulthard we already knew his opinion.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Can one of you give me an example of a situation where the logo would be used where there wouldn't be enough context to figure out it's obviously an F and a 1? Also using a straight line to represent a 1 isn't confusing anyway unless you are an actual idiot

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The new logo is so bad that Bernie will kill himself so he can spin in his grave

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Can one of you give me an example of a situation where the logo would be used where there wouldn't be enough context to figure out it's obviously an F and a 1? Also using a straight line to represent a 1 isn't confusing anyway unless you are an actual idiot

no because literally every single complaint leveled at Liberty, including the logo, is part of a dumb lazy meme that should be bannable

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Wirth1000 posted:

Journo guy in the paddock Phillip Horton got some driver opinions on the new logo:

https://twitter.com/PHortonF1/status/934810516228399104

https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/934034151598157825

https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/934904952308281345

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Liberty are committing the crime of trying to actually market Formula 1

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

What I love about these big companies and organisations doing a logo change is that the design process alone costs a fuckload for a few lines these days.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

Stop trolling

Also what the gently caress is this poo poo

https://twitter.com/F1/status/934798729915146241

lol at how poorly it renders at the size it appears in their Twitter bio in that embed

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

Liberty are committing the crime of trying to actually market Formula 1

In the most stupid and american way

Thanks Ants posted:

lol at how poorly it renders at the size it appears in their Twitter bio in that embed

in the fb phone app its the same, you cant even tell what the gently caress is that thing. so liberty good job i guess?

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 27, 2017

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

n

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

In the most stupid and american way

in the fb phone app its the same, you cant even tell what the gently caress is that thing. so liberty good job i guess?

lmao at thinking anything they have done is specifically American

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So is this the off season thread where we watch classic motogp races and talk about how awesome motogp is?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Why does the Formula One logo look like Force India's?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nsaP posted:

So is this the off season thread where we watch classic motogp races and talk about how awesome motogp is?

get out. now

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You Am I posted:

Why does the Formula One logo look like Force India's?

it doesn't

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

nsaP posted:

No, you're after a different thread for that. Maybe one with motogp in the title

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Liberty could bundle a blow job with every race ticket and this thread would be like "lmfao are Americans still getting their dicks sucked? the rest of the world has moved on to eating rear end"

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

Liberty could bundle a blow job with every race ticket and this thread would be like "lmfao are Americans still getting their dicks sucked? the rest of the world has moved on to eating rear end"

The rest of the world doesnt have Trump as their president.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The new logo sucks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't trust Liberty until they finally get the F1 streaming service done.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is ITVs first year of coverage, very 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EjdETRR7QA

Does anybody know what prompted the shift to this newer, much better polished form of F1 broadcasting? Everybody since has copied it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

gret posted:

If anybody wants to read a more in depth article about the design of the new logo:

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formula-1-unveils-new-identity-wieden-kennedy-london/

e:

delete this crap

Cool concept of what watching F1 through Robocop's HUD in 1990 would look like

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

A Formula 1

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

y'all got fuckin teresa may and angela merkel and that dumbass french dude, not much better

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

and justin trudeau is basically just a handsome, well-spoken neocon

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
You have a literal white supremacist moron and I mean genuine idiot low intelligence imbecile who quite possibly has early onset if not full blown alzheimer's in charge.... and that's somehow BARELY worse than a bunch of mediocre politicians?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

You have a literal white supremacist moron and I mean genuine idiot low intelligence imbecile who quite possibly has early onset if not full blown alzheimer's in charge....

Please dont talk about Scuderia Ferrari detractors like that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

DoctorGonzo posted:

They kinda do

y'all should be walking on eggshells cause if he even get's a whiff of pussy in your country, he'll be grabbing the gently caress outta it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The one on the right is a better logo and a much better font

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Thanks Ants posted:

This is ITVs first year of coverage, very 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EjdETRR7QA

Does anybody know what prompted the shift to this newer, much better polished form of F1 broadcasting? Everybody since has copied it.

Making the money they spent on the rights worth it? They gambled on it and ended up starting with one of the most dramatic seasons in history. Couldn't go back to Steve Ryder sitting in a dark studio ten minutes before the formation lap after that.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Liberty are actually being really sensible and saying things like 'you can't expect everything to change overnight because we bought into a sport that has a lot of catching up to do, but we're putting in the investment to make that happen'. Remember Bernie literally had no marketing department for a multi billion dollar business.

Having a coherent brand identity does actually matter when you're trying to sell something to sponsors and new fans, and some of the stuff they've done is actually quite clever if you ignore the marketingese and design document bollocks.

Having a simple big block of a logo lets it sit beside all the different corporate sponsors' logos without distracting from them while still making everything seem up to date and unified. The old logo is cool but it's definitely getting on a bit in a sport that sells itself on being cutting edge. The new one is kinda boring but that's actually by design.

They've deliberately gone for a primary typeface that looks distinctive and modern and works across devices.
The secondary fonts will be mainly for posters and signage and the like and are good contemporary takes on retro styles, though I'm not personally a fan of the aesthetic of F1 Turbo.

Yes I'm taking my new red text seriously

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Oh and here's my Chaos Fact™ while I remember:

Sebastian Vettel has finished ahead of Fernando Alonso in the standings in each of the last nine seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't trust Liberty until they finally get the F1 streaming service done.

Might be a while since I suspect it relies on existing regional TV broadcast contracts expiring, but :same:

HJB posted:

Oh and here's my Chaos Fact™ while I remember:

Sebastian Vettel has finished ahead of Fernando Alonso in the standings in each of the last nine seasons.

Stop this, I'm going to have a lovely Christmas as is, and all I want from santa is an Alonso (or Ricky D) WDC in 2018. :unsmith:

• Locked thread