Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

DanZX posted:

I picked Witcher 3 for PS4. Any good tips for a beginner on this whole Witcher business?

You may think that given the way the skills are split up that sign usage, swordsmanship, and alchemy are three totally distinct playstyles but you ought to be using all three, even if you don't invest points. You can get away with not using all your abilities on easy, but not on any other difficulty. I'm hesitant to give any more advice because it's a fun game to discover, but I do remember getting smashed on an early boss fight over and over and it was because I wasn't using signs. Enjoy yourself, the game is one of my all time favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

1redflag posted:

Force lightening melts bad guys when fully upgraded. I remember force push being pretty clutch too as a lot of fights take place on catwalks above bottomless chasms.

Any tips on fighting the Jedi master guys? I've beaten the first two levels, but those guys were kicking my rear end.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Zaodai posted:

So I picked up Nioh on Steam, been loving it so far despite having not played much of Souls games in the past.

I do have a couple of specific questions, however. I've played with most of the weapons, and I think for my first playthrough I'm going to go Axe/Spear (though I also liked Tonfas, Single Swords, and to some extent the chain sickle for future playthroughs), and I feel like Heavy Armor would go well with that. That said, I've found a bunch of good medium armor early and not much good Heavy armor. Does that get better later? Is Heavy Armor with an Axe a not-poo poo choice?

Heavy armor w/ Axe is completely viable once you get into the swing of things w/ how ki pulsing works. I'd also invest in the stats and skills that make it easier for you to move around in heavy armor in the future. You should also check out skills in other weapon skill trees to see if there's anything that can benefit your eventual playstyle; this can be bonus stats, extra damage in specific stances, and carrying extra of certain items.

What's more is that resetting your stats is pretty easy and cheap, so there's no wrong way to go about doing things. It took me a long while to set up a ranged weapon build and had to rely on swords until I got everything set up, but the reset made the final setup painless.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DanZX posted:

I picked Witcher 3 for PS4. Any good tips for a beginner on this whole Witcher business?

Play the main story for a while until you want a change of pace then explore the side missions. It'll seem like an impossible amount of things to do if you try to explore every map and get every sidequest from the start of each map area. Unless you are on easy, and maybe not even then, explore the options for how combat works, potions, oils, bombs, traps, signs, crossbow, etc. Find a style that works for you and build your character around those. The Witcher is pretty famous for difficult/tricky combat in a different way then Dark Souls, but you'll get contrary opinions about why/how from almost everyone on this forum.

Decide if you want to become a Gwent master asap. Gwent is a better CCG then most CCGs released as actual games. It's not crucial to anything but if you like CCG you might have more fun with that then with the main game. Buying/finding all the cards isn't impossible just sometimes tricky and some are one time opportunities.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The most important Witcher 3 advice is that bombs, oils and potions only need to be crafted once and will replenish themselves with strong alcohol upon meditation, so if you're the kind of player who hoards consumables instead of using them in RPGs, make sure to drop that habit when playing W3. Use all your tools liberally.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Zaodai posted:

I do have a couple of specific questions, however. I've played with most of the weapons, and I think for my first playthrough I'm going to go Axe/Spear (though I also liked Tonfas, Single Swords, and to some extent the chain sickle for future playthroughs), and I feel like Heavy Armor would go well with that. That said, I've found a bunch of good medium armor early and not much good Heavy armor. Does that get better later? Is Heavy Armor with an Axe a not-poo poo choice?

Oh, and are there Souls style mimics in this game? I ran into the Doppleganger in the chest that wants you to match his gesture when he hops out and the mimic wall guys, though that took me longer to figure out what he wanted rather than just shanking them but I'm curious if there are those mimics where you go to touch something and it just loving one shots you out of nowhere like an rear end in a top hat.

For the former, I'd say heavy armor is absolutely the best way to go for axes/spears since most of the armor sets that give good bonuses for those weapons are heavy sets. When I say heavy I mean loving heavy though, so you'll want to invest in stamina heavily if you want to wear the majority of the set for it's bonuses. For the latter, the answer is nah. Not a whole lot of instant death stuff besides being knocked off of high things by sneaky assholes IIRC.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
witcher 3 has no level cap so how feasible is it to get every skill in the game because becoming overpowered and overleveled is my poo poo

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The White Dragon posted:

witcher 3 has no level cap so how feasible is it to get every skill in the game because becoming overpowered and overleveled is my poo poo

Not really. You are going to have to pick a playstyle (or 2 or 3) if you want to get deep on the skill charts.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

1redflag posted:

Not really. You are going to have to pick a playstyle (or 2 or 3) if you want to get deep on the skill charts.

E. Also, there are only so many slots that you can equip skills to, and they are level limited.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The White Dragon posted:

If you are on PC you can get a mod that allows you to equip all the skills. It Is quite overpowered and breaks a game designed around only having 12? skills active.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Thanks for all the answers.

I love doing side quests but I’ll try to not burn myself exploring every inch of the map then

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You actually do want to scour the map in the starting area (White Orchard) because the whole thing is covered in shrine deals that give you skill points, giving you an early way to boost some of the combat skills.

It's the map after that, the enormous gently caress-off one where a level 20 monster might be hanging out near a level 5 questgiver, where you should stick to the main plot for a bit.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also assuming it's also a thing in the console versions, changing the movement mode from regular to "alternate" from the options might make Geralt's movement feel better.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In Witcher 3 like 90% of the leveling is from the main quest, side quests give little xp. When the game gets hard do more main story to level up.

Also don't worry about weapon and armor crafting except for items labeled "witcher gear." The only exceptions are in Blood amd Wine DLC I think and that is like level 30+ stuff.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anything for Steamworld Heist it seems fairly straighforward, but I just got my rear end kicked the first time I encountered big mechs with shields, so worth asking.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Anything for Steamworld Heist it seems fairly straighforward, but I just got my rear end kicked the first time I encountered big mechs with shields, so worth asking.
Move around and utilize the environment. There are a lot of explosives scattered around the game and most fights can be easily resolved by just finding the correct firing positions.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I haven’t played a Pokémon since ruby, but I picked up Ultra Sun. Anything I need to be aware of? Any missable or ultra pokes out there?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I haven’t played a Pokémon since ruby, but I picked up Ultra Sun. Anything I need to be aware of? Any missable or ultra pokes out there?

There’s been a lot of big changes since Ruby, especially in the last gen, so I’ll try to bullet point the important ones that come to mind.

-Physical/Special is no longer tied to the attack’s type. They’re now all determined individually.

-Fairy type is a new one. They’re strong against Fighting, Dark, and Dragon but match poorly with Poison, Steel, and Fire.

-TMs are now unlimited use

-HMs are out as of Sun/Moon. There are now “ride pokemon” you call to do HM-ey things. The moves still exist but aren’t unremovable anymore.

-Pokepelago (which you can access after the third trial) is now the place to grind out EVs, berries, and evolution stones. Save up your lil pokebeans so you can get everything except the hot springs up to level 3 sooner rather than later.

-Online stuff is now on the go with Festival Plaza. Local trading and battling, and online trading and battling are still around, and there’s some kinda poorly thought-out festival booth gimmick there too that you can probably ignore unless you’re into dyeing your clothes or whatever.

-Protags wear clothes now.

-Playing the grooming game will raise a pokemon’s affection, which in turn gives it an experience bonus, lets it spontaneously shrug off status effects, hold on at 1hp, and so on. It takes 3 rainbow pokebeans or approx. 10,000,000 regular ones to get it to max.

-As far as Missable Ultra Pokemon go, I think they’re all tied into the story (mostly toward the end or postgame) and are pretty clearly telegraphed, but the only one that really sneaks up on you is Tapu Koko. The story changes in Ultra Sun so may want to look up where you fight it so you can be prepared.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

SiKboy posted:

Sally is really, really good. Give her a strong handgun, your best ammo and try to soften up multiple enemies with your other squddies as necessary. So long as she gets the killing blow she can routinely chain one bonus kill after another.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Kind of reverse, but in the theme of this thread, I'm playing Until Dawn after it was one of those games on Playstation+, knowing nothing about it going in. I've been playing it with a couple of friends, watching like a movie, yelling at the characters, having them make the decisions etc, but me controlling it because I can do QTE's and stuff, being the only real gamer of the crew. Its been GREAT! The trouble is, we're at the bit where

Mike goes to the SANITARIUM (snooooooze) and the killer(s) appears to be a 'madman' (men?). We did pet a doggo, which was cool, but.... SERIOUSLY? A Sanitarium? OH WITH A 'scary' ELECTRIC CHAIR!!!!!! Also, Rami Malek's character got cut in half, in what felt like a kind of a perverse railroaded way where I didn't get any say in what was happening, and non of the options followed the internal logic of the characters, but it pretended like it was my choice and I was then chastised for it. Rami Malek is a friend of one of the group I'm playing with, and it was kind of a big draw that he was in it. So now, we're suddenly all really kinda burnt out on the game. All the characters left feel kind of objectionable now, the 'threat' is suddenly a hum-drum video-game threat instead of an interesting spooky threat (which is almost inevitable with horror, Hitchcock's 'what you dont show' and all that) and it suddenly feels like a chore that I'm (as the video game guy) putting them through, and for me it feels like its massively cack-handedly trying to set up a Bioshock esque 'would you kindly' twist with Peter Stormare's cut aways.

I want to see it through, but I don't know if I want to subject my friends to it if it's actually as bad as it suddenly seems. (Which would be a massive shame because it just took such a turn, it did feel amazing at first!) I just wanted to know, without any spoilers as to what happens, if you think we should keep playing, or if I should finish it on my own, or maybe just not bother at all? Thanks for any input, and sorry that this kind of deviates from the thread.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Keep going. If I remember right, you're about to hit the point where it'll make or break the game for you guys.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

!Klams posted:

Until Dawn
I think you should definitely keep playing. Pretty much everything you mention has a payoff coming up.

Man it's so easy to keep a poker face on the internet.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Leavemywife posted:

Keep going. If I remember right, you're about to hit the point where it'll make or break the game for you guys.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think you should definitely keep playing. Pretty much everything you mention has a payoff coming up.

Man it's so easy to keep a poker face on the internet.

Ok, fantastic, thanks so much, this is exactly what I was hoping for! I'll let them know.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
So I just picked up Kingdom: New Lands for the Switch. There is a great game in there but how the hell do you make money except for the merchant? Seems like I always have to little to get started on the boat.
Also, should you expand your kingdom or just hang tight and upgrade your initial area?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

anything important for grandia ii? playing anniversary if that makes a difference.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

baram. posted:

anything important for grandia ii? playing anniversary if that makes a difference.

It's really linear, you can't miss anything except one optional dungeon towards the end (Raul Hills)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Mass Effect Andomeda? Just nabbed it on a great sale on xbox live. I've played all the others in the series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

baram. posted:

the golden rule of grandia 2
1) the first attack in every character's tech list will inflict Cancel on its target. it always knocks the target out of their current action, or knocks their atb back by one stage. nothing is immune to Cancel. NOTHING IS IMMUNE TO CANCEL

1a) if you level up a Cancel tech to maximum, its charge time is reduced to 1 tick of the ATB clock, essentially turning them into interrupts that, with clever turn management, you can abuse to completely lock down any boss in the game.

other, far less useful things
2) defense as an action has a secondary use: it delays your turn by half an action, so your next turn comes twice as quickly as it would've normally. you can use this to time your cancels!
3) there are a couple minigames. they're repeatable, but there's no indication that they are, or that you get prizes for doing them. they give pretty nice rewards--the game will tell you when it won't give you any more--but if you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em. at least try to do the one later in the game where you catch nuts, you win a missable item that gives you some pretty good equippable passives.
4) stupid system thing that you shouldn't really care about : anniversary edition is based on the PC/dreamcast build, so if you're an absolute min-maxer, every nut item in the game is randomized when you grab them and you can just savescum a ton of stat-increasing items from one-time pickups :v:
5) extremely stupid system thing that you really really really shouldn't care about : each character has a hidden cast affinity that changes the more you use a spell. if you use them tons of times--and i mean tons, like dozens and dozens of times--you'll shorten your cast time by entire milliseconds

if you haven't played grandia 2 before, you shouldn't play it on hard. enemies have tremendously inflated stats and it's really designed for players who have done stupid poo poo like beating late-game bosses without taking damage once. i'm one of those players and i barely beat the final boss by the skin of my teeth.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 27, 2017

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Mass Effect Andomeda? Just nabbed it on a great sale on xbox live. I've played all the others in the series.

Gonna second asking for stuff on this since I just grabbed it for ten bucks at Gamestop after eight months of apprehension.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
This probably doesn't count as "first time" but a while back I played Witcher 2 up until I beat the kayran. While the writing and story was basically on par with 3, I wound up quitting because of how janky and lovely the game is. For whatever reason, it's not a big deal to me now and the game is starting to stick. Any general advice? Should I go Roach or Iorveth the first time?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

This probably doesn't count as "first time" but a while back I played Witcher 2 up until I beat the kayran. While the writing and story was basically on par with 3, I wound up quitting because of how janky and lovely the game is. For whatever reason, it's not a big deal to me now and the game is starting to stick. Any general advice? Should I go Roach or Iorveth the first time?

I would go Roach the first time. Iorveth kind of sits around doing nothing and Roach becomes your partner in crime. Make sure you make a save before you make the decision so you don't have to slog through Act 1 again. Iorveth' s path isn't bad and has some really great characters, namely the dwarves. Regardless of what you choose you should play the other path since there is a lot you'll miss regardless of what path you choose.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s honestly a matter of taste. I liked roche but others liked iorveth.

Roche has you following a black ops soldier without a country on a series of unpleasant tasks for scummy people on a quest to restore his nation; iorveth imo is a more traditional defend the downtrodden against the racist human horde story (with the caveat that iorveth is a heartless terrorist).

Both have their charms, and you should absolutely play both because you learn completely different things about the story on each path.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

-If you’re familiar with Dragon Age 3 then you’re familiar with this game. The world design, mission structure, most of the crafting, party interactions, and endless treadmill of bullshit are the same. There’s even a meta-score that lets you unlock stuff the same way.

-Speaking of that, unlock the secret drop points perk. You get tons of great stuff that way.

-Classes as they existed in ME1-3 are out so all the skills are available to mix and match. Some are gated behind needing a certain amount of points in either Combat, Tech, or Biotic skills.

-Instead of classes you have Profiles which unlock/upgrade as you dump more points into the three skill categories. Profiles give a bunch of passive buffs and a unique skill or two depending on which you pick. For instance: the “Infiltrator” Profile requires Combat and Tech investment and, when active, outlines enemies through the scope and gives you extra headshot damage and sniper and pistol damage and whatever.

-You can switch between three pre-saved loadouts of 1 profile and 3 skills at any time.

-Establishing the forward outposts is vital because they heal you and reload everything you’re carrying. They also serve as fast travel points which is valuable when you find yourself trucking around the same square mile of wasteland for hours with people’s laundry.

-Another thing to prioritize are the big ol’ robo pillars which lets you into the robo vault. Not only will the vault have valuable stuff, but will improve conditions on the planet and let you set up an actual base.

-If you want everyone to survive in the end, make sure you have located/recruited all the Pathfinders.

-The last tier of your squaddies skills are unlocked when you do their loyalty mission. You will have more than enough points to get there, but you still need to do them.

-If you deign to do a bunch of Tasks (the lowest tier, errand missions), then you will have more than enough skill points too.

-Don’t do all of the tasks. Don’t even do most of the tasks unless you like them. They suck all the fun out of the game and after dozens of hours of poo poo all you will end up with is being overleveled.

-You can mostly ignore the Apex Missions unless you want to get into multiplayer (which is pretty similar to ME3’s). You can also set them and forget them for minor rewards that will add up later. They’re save file-agnostic so you can unlock the high tier rewards with a newbie character for a nice treat.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is Thaler in either of the W2 paths? I really liked that dude in W3. I found a note from the guy who killed the she troll(seriously who wouldn't help the troll) that mentioned him.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

!Klams posted:

Until Dawn

1. Keep playing.

2. Give us your thoughts on the game after you're completed it.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is Thaler in either of the W2 paths? I really liked that dude in W3. I found a note from the guy who killed the she troll(seriously who wouldn't help the troll) that mentioned him.
He isn't, that's the only time he's mentioned in Witcher 2. He has a much larger role in the first game.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah. Also, will it be really obvious when it's time to pick between Roach or Iorveth? Main story wise I'm at the point where I've defeated the Kayran and got the Rose of Remembrance and I'm supposed to seek out Iorveth while Triss is doing whatever sorceress stuff to get the memory spell ready.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah. Also, will it be really obvious when it's time to pick between Roach or Iorveth?

it's obvious enough but it doesn't just wave it in front of your face. you'll have two missions, "meet up with roche" and "meet up with iorveth" and before you finalize your choice, you get a dialogue option for "i need some time to think about it."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Laughin at the idea of Geralt saying "gently caress all of you, I'm siding with my horse"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

gallilee posted:

So I just picked up Kingdom: New Lands for the Switch. There is a great game in there but how the hell do you make money except for the merchant? Seems like I always have to little to get started on the boat.
Also, should you expand your kingdom or just hang tight and upgrade your initial area?
I feel like part of the charm of this game is finding out just what exactly it is that investing your money does so I'll just spoiler this in case.

The merchant will be your initial way of getting decent money (as well as the 2 or 3 chests deep in the woods) but you also get it from archers and later on farmers. Archers will hunt rabbits that appear in the grasslands that appear when you cut down trees (not sure on exactly how much space you need before they start appearing, you should soon get an idea) which drop a coin each. The archers will pick this up. They'll drop all their money the next time you go past them. Farms can be built when you've upgraded your base area enough that a third stall appears. You can then invest in areas where there's a stream and a farm will appear. Farms take time for crops to grow but drop a lot of coins so having a couple can be useful.

You want to start expanding relatively soon, ideally in the direction of the boat so that your builders don't have too far to run each night. Also don't necessarily build a fortification or a tower just because the space for it is there. The RNG means that their placement isn't always great.