Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
So how was the Hey Arnold Jungle Movie? I ended up missing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

E: I'm disgusted by how much food CN is wasting on all these 200th episode of TTG promos.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who was feeling the same way. They're giving ammo to the haters, as if loving up the schedule of several of their flagship shows wasn't enough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

THEY loving COOKED IT TOO

GUYS

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

No.1 Special posted:

So how was the Hey Arnold Jungle Movie? I ended up missing it.

The movie's climax made me cry. The only thing close to a flaw is that the second act went way too fast in order to reach the midpoint.

It was excellent.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, it was heartwarming and wonderful.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

Also it's that time again.

God, this makes me foam at the mouth every time I see it.

Apologies if I've asked this before, but is there something different about the way kids' brains are wired nowadays compared to when we were growing up? Sure, back in the 90s we had marathons, but they would usually be relegated to holidays or other special events. But none of this poo poo that seems to happen on a goddamned daily basis.

I mean, just practically speaking, who the hell are these oversaturated schedules directed at? I don't care how big a fan you are of Teen Titans Go, that poo poo has got to be tiring as gently caress when you see the same episodes over and over again in such a short amount of time. And this applies to ANY show, mind you.

Though, to be fair, I guess. This sort of crap isn't limited to kids shows. USA and TNT went crazy with reruns of House and Law and Order: SVU, and other networks do the same poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nick kinda blazed the trail for the cartoon channels airing hours and hours of Spongebob all day.

On another note; since it's been literally decades since I recall Hey Arnold, should I watch some episodes to catch up before catching The Jungle Movie? And any ones in particular you recommend?

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 26, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cartoon Network is more focusing on people watching their shows on the on-demand app. Cable TV's dead, yo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr Interweb posted:

God, this makes me foam at the mouth every time I see it.

Apologies if I've asked this before, but is there something different about the way kids' brains are wired nowadays compared to when we were growing up? Sure, back in the 90s we had marathons, but they would usually be relegated to holidays or other special events. But none of this poo poo that seems to happen on a goddamned daily basis.

I mean, just practically speaking, who the hell are these oversaturated schedules directed at? I don't care how big a fan you are of Teen Titans Go, that poo poo has got to be tiring as gently caress when you see the same episodes over and over again in such a short amount of time. And this applies to ANY show, mind you.

Though, to be fair, I guess. This sort of crap isn't limited to kids shows. USA and TNT went crazy with reruns of House and Law and Order: SVU, and other networks do the same poo poo.

DVRs and streaming didn't exist when you were a kid. Reruns are effectively worthless in a world where your entire back catalogue is available anywhere at any time and your audience is tech savvy enough to take advantage of that, so may as well show.the same special multiple times so if a kid is going to watch it live he doesn't have to worry about missing the only airing due to getting back from his weekend at Dad's late or something.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I wish I hadn't seen what the villain of the new Miraculous episode 'Gigantitan' looked like before I watched it, because it would have made a great episode even better if I'd been surprised. French farce meets Reservoir Dogs meets Ocean's 11 meets Honey I Blew Up The Kid. (Seriously, if you're planning to watch it don't mouse over the spoiler tag if you don't know what's coming.) It's also two episodes in a row where things go so pear-shaped for Hawk Moth that I almost felt sorry for him. The animators must have had fun with his scenes, because they were so much more than the usual "Hawky stands in his room o' doom issuing empty threats".

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Inescapable Duck posted:

On another note; since it's been literally decades since I recall Hey Arnold, should I watch some episodes to catch up before catching The Jungle Movie? And any ones in particular you recommend?

I assume you already know to watch The Journal, and possibly Parents' Day, as a direct prequel to The Jungle Movie. Aside from that, you could probably pick just about any set of episodes at random and it will all come back to you.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

A bit old, but have y'all seen this video about Legend of Korra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ekVcFsa2A&t=24s

I'm not a big fan of these youtubers that have those annoying avatars/personas that have like 3 different frames signifying an emotion or action they're feeling/performing at a given moment, but that being said, he pretty much nails every single problem I had with LoK.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 27, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Broken clock, I guess. Mr. Enter is still garbage though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Broken clock, I guess. Mr. Enter is still garbage though.

Agreed.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hey,he's also right about the Emoji movie. Sure, it's the lowest a fruit can hang, but I'll take it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pro tip: avatar tla was never good

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

your worst opinion yet, somehow

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how his self-depiction is a shadowy figure in a trenchcoat, but his youtube icon is just a normal ol' face. He's got some good points, but he has a bad habit of going off on tangents that get too far away from the central point of "I did not like this piece of media and why."

Korra was really frustrating to watch. They never really had a focus for too long through the series. The characters aren't consistent enough to have fun following. The social issues could be interesting, but they don't spend enough time on them for them to really matter. The turn of the century aesthetic could've been fun, but it's so all over the place and gets dropped for most of the major plot points so for the bulk of the show is about some kind of spooky mysterious man with mysterious magical powers. I've heard that the series ends well, but I never got around to finishing the final episode because I resented the fact that it all came down to a giant robot instead of any social issues or character drama.

Also I'm still angry that Korra never just started her own gang like I expected right at the beginning.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

a take hotter than the deepest pits of the Fire Nation while Sozin's Comet flies overhead

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I feel like Mr Enter generally has okay opinions about cartoons but
a. His attempts at humor are awful
b. His voice is difficult to listen to

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Enter, we get it. You don't like Teen Titans Go. Let it go.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

looks like we got a korra fan in our midst

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avatar TLA doesn't help up greatly writing-wise when it compares to other cartoons that aren't afraid to take things a little more seriously, but the design, choreography and worldbuilding of it are still pretty cool.

Korra seemed to me like a bad idea from the outset given it was both more ambitious (tackling social issues both real and fantastic, presenting a more modernised setting, older protagonists with Teen Issues rather than the kids-forced-to-grow-up-fast of the original) and had less time to work with. I don't get why every writer seems to think Teen Drama is automatically catnip when it can be a total anchor on a show.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Avatar TLA doesn't help up greatly writing-wise when it compares to other cartoons that aren't afraid to take things a little more seriously,
Mind listing these other cartoons? I've never heard of them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I forgive most of LoK's faults because the last ten minutes were so goddamn hilarious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

VolticSurge posted:

Mind listing these other cartoons? I've never heard of them.

Eh, maybe I worded that wrong. Early episodes in particular have a more cliched sense of humour and characterisation (and Aang can get a bit grating) compared to the kind of self-awareness you get these days, but that might not be as big an issue as I remember. Not a lot of subtleties in characterisation, aside from Zuko anyway.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

I don't get why every writer seems to think Teen Drama is automatically catnip when it can be a total anchor on a show.

I think they were riding too high on how huge shipping got with the original show, so they really went out of their way to try to court that sort of thing later. The love triangle they ended up doing though was so petty and thoughtless that it would've been more at home in a lighthearted wacky comedy instead of alongside brutal beatings and social upheaval.

I feel like they could've made any of the plots they tried work, but there was no way they could make every one of the plots they tried work, especially within the timeframe they were working with.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I believe Korra's biggest issue was pacing, mostly because it started with only 13 episodes, but by the time it was renewed and then expanded to include additional seasons, production was so far ahead it was too hard to go back and rework things to support the extended storylines, which is why everything felt so disjointed and inconsistent.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
korra season 4 is way better than anything from atla, but you have to watch three seasons that vary from mediocre to awful to get there first

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Venuz Patrol posted:

korra season 4 is way better than anything from atla, but you have to watch three seasons that vary from mediocre to awful to get there first

Season 3 was pretty great too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Half the time I could swear writers are trying to re-live their dimly remembered high school years where they actually get to go out with the pretty popular girl this time, or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Enter, we get it. You don't like Teen Titans Go. Let it go.

Also, whoa you mean to tell me that characters on Seth MacFarlane shows don't have a very consistent characterization and do stupid things to set up cutaways? Stop the loving presses man, the people have to know the truth! :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Season 3 was pretty great too.

For all it's many problems, Season 2 at least did introduce some decent characters at any rate (for example, Varrick is one of my favorite characters in the whole franchise and one of the few good things about that season). But yeah, Korra doesn't really start getting good until the second half.

This is probably because it was just supposed to be a one-shot miniseries at first and as such they kind of had to make the rest up as they went along (which might be why Korra herself suddenly seems to take a step backwards in character development at the start of Season 2).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 27, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Interweb posted:

looks like we got a korra fan in our midst

oh no korra was terrible, but largely cuz it was based off a bad show to start with, it was doomed from the beginning

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

korra is good

except the first half

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
First half is the weakest the franchise ever was, but not that far from the first half of ATLA S1, except for a couple of great bits and the Wan episodes, season 3 is the strongest the franchise ever was and Season 4 is good, but not as good a climax as ATLA.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
LoK sucked. That said I’d still really like a third series that takes place in the future.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

LoK sucked. That said I’d still really like a third series that takes place in the future.

I'm guessing another Avatar series isn't going to happen any time soon. The creators are kind of burned out right now (the graphic novels notwithstanding) and Nick seems to want nothing to do with the franchise anymore.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Beyond just being a fun wacky character, Varrick is the living embodiment of the era that Korra is supposed to be in. He's everything good and bad about the time, rich, charismatic businessman and inventor, and warmonger who doesn't care about the little people he destroys.

Korra, Bolin, Asami, and Mako are all just a bunch of angsty teens who would be more at home a century later, and the villains could be from literally any time period aside for a few superficial period philosophical references. The whole period aesthetic is really inconsistent, and there's so much missed opportunity there. They don't fully explore the whole transition between old and new like they could've.

And of course, the comics did everything that Korra failed to do but better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

I wish I hadn't seen what the villain of the new Miraculous episode 'Gigantitan' looked like before I watched it, because it would have made a great episode even better if I'd been surprised. French farce meets Reservoir Dogs meets Ocean's 11 meets Honey I Blew Up The Kid. (Seriously, if you're planning to watch it don't mouse over the spoiler tag if you don't know what's coming.) It's also two episodes in a row where things go so pear-shaped for Hawk Moth that I almost felt sorry for him. The animators must have had fun with his scenes, because they were so much more than the usual "Hawky stands in his room o' doom issuing empty threats".
Yeah, Hawkmoth's frustration was hilarious in this episode. Makes me wonder if they're setting up him bringing in Natalie as Paon because he seems to have lost his touch with picking villains he can control and admits he needs a little help, here and is running out of ideas.