Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Anyone have any experience with Cooler Master's "mem-chanical" switches? It's impossible to get a hands-on test. I'd love an MX Brown keyboard but I'm on a budget.

I'm probably swearing in church here...

Depending on what you want/what your budget is you can get fairly cheap MX brown boards nowadays.

Worst thing you can do is spend money on a board you dont actually want as a stop gap then spending more money later.

By "what you want" i mean like full size, tkl, spasmodic disco lights etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just get a code :/

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My version1 WASD keyboard died. Is WASD still a solid brand? Anything better I should be looking at?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

My version1 WASD keyboard died. Is WASD still a solid brand? Anything better I should be looking at?

Get the one with pbt caps this time if you don’t care about the custom colors.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Anyone have any experience with Cooler Master's "mem-chanical" switches? It's impossible to get a hands-on test. I'd love an MX Brown keyboard but I'm on a budget.

I'm probably swearing in church here...

So coolermaster used to make Topre keyboards but it looks like they stripped out the guts and expensive PCB to make these. Not really going to be that much better than a regular cheap membrane.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So I checked over the OP and it doesn't cover the area I'm looking for.

I want to pick up a keyboard for work that has some macro keys so I can save some mousing and/or keystrokes at work.

Criteria:
1. at least 6 macro keys (more a plus, duh)
2. available in Canada
3. Under or close to $100
4. Not a piece of poo poo.

I'm currently using a Dell OEM keyboard at work, to give you an idea of where I'm at. Hit me with recommendations! Noise doesn't matter because my coworkers are already Noisy AF.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I want to pick up a keyboard for work that has some macro keys so I can save some mousing and/or keystrokes at work.

Criteria:
2. available in Canada

I'm currently using a Dell OEM keyboard at work, to give you an idea of where I'm at. Hit me with recommendations! Noise doesn't matter because my coworkers are already Noisy AF.

Logitech G105 has six macro keys and is on sale for $50 from bestbuy.ca

I haven't used it personally but have never had logitech stuff disintegrate on me.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Criteria:
2. available in Canada

There's some corsair keyboards that are around that and have macro keys. They are touted as "gaming keyboards" but are actually pretty decent.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Im going to post this again so somebody else with a realforce can make an equally expensive mistake.

https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-norbaforce-cnc-aluminum-housing-for-realforce-keyboards

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

mewse posted:

Logitech G105 has six macro keys and is on sale for $50 from bestbuy.ca

I haven't used it personally but have never had logitech stuff disintegrate on me.

CyberPingu posted:

There's some corsair keyboards that are around that and have macro keys. They are touted as "gaming keyboards" but are actually pretty decent.

Thanks for the leads folks!

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

ColHannibal posted:

Im going to post this again so somebody else with a realforce can make an equally expensive mistake.

https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-norbaforce-cnc-aluminum-housing-for-realforce-keyboards

Wonder how durable the powder coatings are...torn between gray and glossy white

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Deviantfish posted:

Wonder how durable the powder coatings are...torn between gray and glossy white

Powder coating is normally pretty strong, I went with black anodized.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

ColHannibal posted:

Powder coating is normally pretty strong, I went with black anodized.

After much waffling I finally went with glossy white to contrast with my black RF keys

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
When you get the case in like two years we'll need some pictures.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Deviantfish posted:

After much waffling I finally went with glossy white to contrast with my black RF keys

See you in the thread for pictures in 6-8 months

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping it'll be as advertised and only take like three months once it closes, since he seems to have his poo poo together more than most other GB folks. Then again, I'm still waiting on my Clueboard from Massdrop that I ordered in June...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Best Buy has the new Logitech G613 on sale for $69.99 (down from $140). I've been looking for a wireless keyboard, and I wanted to try mechanical keys and this fit the bill. I'm definitely liking it so far.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Anybody got advice on buying or a lead on an SA Godspeed set? I'm looking to outfit my Vortex Core.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I only succeeded in completing my set by haunting r/mechmarket, checking literally every waking hour or even more frequently.

edit: here's a link to search results for Godspeed sorted by newest that I :f5:ed a lot: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/search?q=godspeed&sort=new&restrict_sr=on

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 25, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got my MK Disco TKL in Brown, and I’m pretty sure it was the right choice. :buddy: Hells of noise, but I live alone, so whatever.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

edit: here's a link to search results for Godspeed sorted by newest that I :f5:ed a lot: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/search?q=godspeed&sort=new&restrict_sr=on

If you’re literally just haunting that for new entries, it looks like you can make an RSS feed out of that link by adding “.rss” just after “search”. I.e., https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/search.rss?q=godspeed&sort=new&restrict_sr=on.

(Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathogendavid/comments/tv8m9/pathogendavids_guide_to_rss_and_reddit/)

There’s probably an RSS feed reader out there that will alert you when new entries pop up, but I haven’t done any research. Or if you’re handy, you could write a script to do it in python or something; way easier than scraping HTML.

That’s a bit of a tangent, but OTOH this technique may be useful for some of the other poor degenerates in this thread. (I’m half-inclined to write a script that does this myself.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

and of course I had to decide my endgame would be an LZ-Ergo

Friend, there is not now, and there will never be, an endgame.

In fact that would be a good name for the 2018 keyboard thread: There Is No Endgame.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Is there anything I should be aware of when ordering dampeners that will prevent me from annoying people when bottoming out?

Just look at the most sold 2 bucks per 110 from Ali Express?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Is there anything I should be aware of when ordering dampeners that will prevent me from annoying people when bottoming out?
Maybe try thrusting more gently? :v:

Real answer, other than making sure it's the right size not really. There aren't many ways to gently caress up a rubber ring.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Collateral Damage posted:

Maybe try thrusting more gently? :v:

Real answer, other than making sure it's the right size not really. There aren't many ways to gently caress up a rubber ring.

I tried hitting my keys more gently but it’s not really sticking. I learned typing on an old typewriter and have been typing with this amount of force for over 2 decades so I’m not sure if I can really “unlearn” it.

I’ll grab a bag of rings and maybe remove them after a while to see if I’m getting used to a smaller travel distance.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

I tried hitting my keys more gently but it’s not really sticking. I learned typing on an old typewriter and have been typing with this amount of force for over 2 decades so I’m not sure if I can really “unlearn” it.

I’ll grab a bag of rings and maybe remove them after a while to see if I’m getting used to a smaller travel distance.

Could also look at a reverb/dampening matt to go under the keyboard.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Sorry, I was making a bad innuendo joke. :shobon:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CyberPingu posted:

Could also look at a reverb/dampening matt to go under the keyboard.

What kind of material do people us for that, neoprene or something?

I can’t believe I didn’t notice that... :doh:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

What kind of material do people us for that, neoprene or something?

I can’t believe I didn’t notice that... :doh:

Uhh usually just those large mousemats. TCG playmats also work fairly well too.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CyberPingu posted:

Uhh usually just those large mousemats. TCG playmats also work fairly well too.

For building it into your keyboard or just to put your keyboard on (I just found out the former is apparently a thing).

The noise mostly comes from the switch/keycap hitting the bottom of the case. I’m not dure if a mat would diminish the sound of that.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LochNessMonster posted:

For building it into your keyboard or just to put your keyboard on (I just found out the former is apparently a thing).

The noise mostly comes from the switch/keycap hitting the bottom of the case. I’m not dure if a mat would diminish the sound of that.

Uhhh you can get basically an o-ring sheet but there is no guarantee that it will fit your keyboard. O-rings are better, if not a bit fiddly.

The matt is basically to stop the vibrations from the case going through the desk which is a source of the noise. Id start with o-rings though and see if that helps.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

In your endo! :hfive:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

LochNessMonster posted:

Just look at the most sold 2 bucks per 110 from Ali Express?

If you have Cherry profile or OEM profile keycaps, then yeah any cheap-ol' 1.5mm thickness O-rings should do well for you. However, if you have a custom keycap set made by Signature Plastics in SA or DSA profile (like I do), you'll find out too late after buying a set of O-rings that a single 1.5mm ring under each keycap does bupkes for stopping bottoming-out.

I followed this advice for my SA keys and bought some thicker O-rings from LPWL. His help page also recommends using just one Thick O-ring or XXL O-ring per DSA key.

In fact, I just got the O-rings in the mail today but haven't installed them yet. I'll let you know how it goes after following the above redditor advice.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

If you have Cherry profile or OEM profile keycaps, then yeah any cheap-ol' 1.5mm thickness O-rings should do well for you. However, if you have a custom keycap set made by Signature Plastics in SA or DSA profile (like I do), you'll find out too late after buying a set of O-rings that a single 1.5mm ring under each keycap does bupkes for stopping bottoming-out.

I followed this advice for my SA keys and bought some thicker O-rings from LPWL. His help page also recommends using just one Thick O-ring or XXL O-ring per DSA key.

In fact, I just got the O-rings in the mail today but haven't installed them yet. I'll let you know how it goes after following the above redditor advice.

I currently have the stock pok3r keycaps installed since I’m waiting on the Godspeed XDA drop. I guess that similar enough to DSA so I’m eager to hear how does thicker o rings work for you!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Stock Pok3r caps work perfectly with regular o-rings.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The GMMK TKL without switches or caps is still on sale for $41 as a black friday special. I ordered one because it includes RGB lighting and seems to be cheaper than ordering pcb+stab+plate+case from aliexpress

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

G-Prime posted:

Stock Pok3r caps work perfectly with regular o-rings.

Yeah but I’m moving away from them as soon as my Godspeed arrives (which I believe is February).

Otoh, what’s 2-3 bucks.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I currently have the stock pok3r keycaps installed since I’m waiting on the Godspeed XDA drop. I guess that similar enough to DSA so I’m eager to hear how does thicker o rings work for you!

Looking at the photos and info in this reddit thread about XDA caps, it looks like you might just need a 3mm O-ring per keycap. The thread says they're 1mm taller than DSA caps, though this doesn't really say whether they are 1mm deeper on the inside where the O-rings go. The stems don't have the crossbars as seen in OEM/Cherry caps, though, so I'd guess going with LPWL's recommendation of 3mm O-rings would be a good start.

If that doesn't stop bottom-outs enough for you, I guess you could try a 2.5mm + a 1.5mm per cap.

edit: I've installed my variety of O-rings per the advice on reddit for rows 2 and 4 so far, and it's noticeably quieter on those rows than 1 and 3 with no rings. I don't really notice a difference in typing feel, either, so that's good.

The muted keys are about as quiet as a crummy HP/Dell rubber-dome keyboard, but the typing feel is the same as before. I think this is a win.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 27, 2017

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

I've got Canvas XDA and it takes 3 1.5mm o-rings per key to not hit the case or switches. Might be able to get away with 4mm but I only have 1.5mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Whatup gewns I just did my first build:

I have a CODE keyboard at home with cherry clears. Whenever I went to work my typo rate would increase exponentially due to the lovely wireless Mac keyboards we get.

Eames lounge inspired. QMK60 with 65 keys, cherry browns, rosewood case. Definitely like how much little pressure the browns require compared to the clears. I feel I get quite a bit of a finger workout with the clears, but these browns are as smooth as butter.

Wish I could get blues but alas, I work in an open office and would prefer not to drive everyone absolutely crazy.