Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be your champions come Sunday Morning?
This poll is closed.
Bisping/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 51 29.82%
Bisping/Garbrandt/Namajunas 8 4.68%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 16 9.36%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Namajunas 3 1.75%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Namajunas 12 7.02%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 62 36.26%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Namajunas 6 3.51%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 13 7.60%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

the first three prelims were amusingly bad, then everything from the tiny Wanderlei Silva woman who screamed with each punch on was great

I might put it on tonight. I like fight pass, but I hate it when good live poo poo gets "stuck" on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Highlights from the Shanghai card from me:
- the incredibly corny translator
- one Chinese fighter coming out to the theme to The Journey West, 2 coming out to two different versions of Once Upon a Time in China
- none of the Chinese fighters having any mic skills and also incredibly soft voices not helped by the low mic
- Li Jingliang charging over the cage all the while the door is open right next to him

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

i could see overeem ngannou being boring with reem on his bike and ngannou not being technically sound enough to overcome Uberfleein. hope i'm wrong

i think ngannou will wade through him in 1 round

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Funnier how Chris Weidman got the poo poo beaten out of him by Rockhold who then got sparked by the GOAT inside a round (imo)

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So that 19 year old kid with 15 fights who won last night fights out of this gym. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qv33dm/inside-chinas-mma-club-for-poor-and-orphaned-boys
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/10...e-fighting-news

If child abuse is the best base for MMA he’s really going places

Fat Twitter Man fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 26, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Chris Weidman got knocked out seven times in a row, so it's hard to blame him for saying weird, crazy things.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
To all Alex Caceres fans: gently caress you

To judge who gave him the fight on Saturday: die and burn in hell

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

a lot of strong feelings about Bruce Leroy

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

Highlights from the Shanghai card from me:
- the incredibly corny translator
- one Chinese fighter coming out to the theme to The Journey West, 2 coming out to two different versions of Once Upon a Time in China
- none of the Chinese fighters having any mic skills and also incredibly soft voices not helped by the low mic
- Li Jingliang charging over the cage all the while the door is open right next to him

The Once Upon A Time In China song is the GOAT of kung fu hype up songs.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

kensei posted:

Need Chris in there too somewhere.

ok weidman v jacare and bisping can fight ya boi eryk anders

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

I.N.R.I posted:

i think ngannou will wade through him in 1 round

Ngannou is just lucky Jared Rosholt isn't in the UFC anymore to cast a wrestle upon him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/madness_mma/status/934911668609368064

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

"There are no clean getaways.....just clean plates."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

i could see overeem ngannou being boring with reem on his bike and ngannou not being technically sound enough to overcome Uberfleein. hope i'm wrong

Never underestimate Overeem's ability to walk into a stupid punch then just stand there with a dumb look on his face as he loses to someone he is measurably better than.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I don't think he's really any better than ngannou which is why i'm positive he'll win

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

El Roncho posted:

To all Alex Caceres fans: gently caress you

To judge who gave him the fight on Saturday: die and burn in hell

I enjoy Bruce Leroy and his fights and the only malice I bear is towards the ref who didn’t stop it between rounds when he was clearly unconscious

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Chris Weidman sure is a whiny baby.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

I don't think he's really any better than ngannou which is why i'm positive he'll win

I'm not convinced there's a fighter that's harder to predict than Overeem. Has anyone had such crazy highs and lows? And not just at opposite ends of their careers?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trast posted:

"There are no clean getaways.....just clean plates."

Ahahaha

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not convinced there's a fighter that's harder to predict than Overeem. Has anyone had such crazy highs and lows? And not just at opposite ends of their careers?

Belfort.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NO KNOWN WEAKNESSES

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That's a good pick, but even then, his highs and lows are the products of the exact same thing. He blitzes early, then tires. He still looks like that crazy scary rush fighter early on, even when he loses. The Overeem that skillfully shut down JDS then put him out with more or less his first punch does not look like the same guy who was perplexed when Ben Rothwell showed that he'd seen an early George Foreman fight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

That's a good pick, but even then, his highs and lows are the products of the exact same thing. He blitzes early, then tires. He still looks like that crazy scary rush fighter early on, even when he loses. The Overeem that skillfully shut down JDS then put him out with more or less his first punch does not look like the same guy who was perplexed when Ben Rothwell showed that he'd seen an early George Foreman fight.

The lowest low of his career was because his sister was kidnapped and he completely lost his mind. Ever since he got his poo poo together it has mostly been because he's strong early and fades quickly, but there are also fights like against Anderson Silva where he got completely psyched out by Andy putting on a mask and couldn't blitz him at all.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Vitor's fight against Anthony Johnson was a landmark bout because Vitor had finally run into a man who gassed out and gave up even before he could.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRafTer posted:

The lowest low of his career was because his sister was kidnapped and he completely lost his mind. Ever since he got his poo poo together it has mostly been because he's strong early and fades quickly, but there are also fights like against Anderson Silva where he got completely psyched out by Andy putting on a mask and couldn't blitz him at all.

That was less mental and more Anderson playing matador

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fat Twitter Man posted:

That was less mental and more Anderson playing matador

Vitor pretty much just stands there and gets kicked in the face, not really a charging bull in this one.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Vitor pretty much just stands there and gets kicked in the face, not really a charging bull in this one.

so all you’ve seen of the fight is a gif of the finish

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fat Twitter Man posted:

so all you’ve seen of the fight is a gif of the finish

I watched it live. Nothing happens for like two and a half minutes, there are a couple of very short exchanges, a scramble, and Vitor gets flattened with a kick he never sees coming. I dunno what bullfights you watch, but generally the bull and fighter doesn’t circle each other mostly feinting for four minutes before the bullfighter stabs the bull straight in the face.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I forgot about the kidnapping thing. I'll have to revise my question to 'Is there fighter so inconsistent who's inconsistencies can't be traced to a physical decline or a personal trauma?'

I think it'd be pretty hard to find one as odd as Overeem.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I watched it live. Nothing happens for like two and a half minutes, there are a couple of very short exchanges, a scramble, and Vitor gets flattened with a kick he never sees coming. I dunno what bullfights you watch, but generally the bull and fighter doesn’t circle each other mostly feinting for four minutes before the bullfighter stabs the bull straight in the face.

I could go jack slack and post 100 gifs or I could go fatherdog and just say Nope.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This forum spends about 100x as much time playing armchair psychologist as it does actually trying to understand fights

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I forgot about the kidnapping thing. I'll have to revise my question to 'Is there fighter so inconsistent who's inconsistencies can't be traced to a physical decline or a personal trauma?'

I think it'd be pretty hard to find one as odd as Overeem.

Uriah Hall. Sometimes he's a killer, but just recently broke a 3 fight skid. I guess there was just a lot of hype built up around him after he kicked that dude's head off during TUF. He has no physical or emotional issues that I know of.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I remember putting on "Beat It" during Belfort v Silva and it was the smartest thing I've ever done

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Untrustable posted:

Uriah Hall. Sometimes he's a killer, but just recently broke a 3 fight skid. I guess there was just a lot of hype built up around him after he kicked that dude's head off during TUF. He has no physical or emotional issues that I know of.

Uriah Hall is composed entirely of emotional issues

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Uriah Hall is composed entirely of emotional issues

I was unaware. My research was mainly looking at his record and seeing W, W, W, L, W, W, L, L, L, W in his last 10 fights.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Untrustable posted:

Wasn't he heavy favourite to win TUF but then Gastelum won when Hall just couldn't be agressive during the final and basically didn't show up.

Then he merks some decent guys later on whilst losing tepid decisions to gate keepers and cans.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Vitor Vs Anderson imo is the best representation of Vitor's personal psychosis. He gets beat, acknowledges that he got beat, then slowly and publicly starts reframing the fight, and it incrementally turns into a freak loss out of nowhere as he was just about to deliver the death blow. I think it's one of the reasons why he's had such a long career, and the fact he's now getting stomped without having any success at all is why he's close to retiring.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

willie_dee posted:

Wasn't he heavy favourite to win TUF but then Gastelum won when Hall just couldn't be agressive during the final and basically didn't show up.

Then he merks some decent guys later on whilst losing tepid decisions to gate keepers and cans.

Uriah Hall tends to have trouble pulling the trigger when he needs to, and it seems he does a lot better when he’s angry and motivated, whether by people saying he has no chance against his opponent or by the death of Paul Walker. I think it’s not productive to psychoanalyze him for the same reason I’m not going to say someone could win more fights if he improved his squat form; I’m not his S & C coach or his sports psychologist. I will say, as someone who’s watched Uriah Hall win fights he should have lost and lost fights he should have won, that he needs to develop a jab and throw combos more so his offense is more threatening.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Isn't Uriah Hall the guy who sat alone on his own table when the TUF crew went out to a restaurant or something

Uriah Hall is mega weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Uriah Hall tends to have trouble pulling the trigger when he needs to, and it seems he does a lot better when he’s angry and motivated, whether by people saying he has no chance against his opponent or by the death of Paul Walker. I think it’s not productive to psychoanalyze him for the same reason I’m not going to say someone could win more fights if he improved his squat form; I’m not his S & C coach or his sports psychologist. I will say, as someone who’s watched Uriah Hall win fights he should have lost and lost fights he should have won, that he needs to develop a jab and throw combos more so his offense is more threatening.

He's a counter puncher who waits for openings, but is kind of slack about generating those openings. You could argue that it's about level of competition, but he murdered Gegard Mousassi and got cautiously outpointed by John Howard.

Zzulu posted:

Isn't Uriah Hall the guy who sat alone on his own table when the TUF crew went out to a restaurant or something

Uriah Hall is mega weird

Yes, resulting in a brilliant crash zoom on him drinking lemonade alone.

• Locked thread