Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I am so hyped for collecting bae blades!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

Aaaan that is why "anime" as a descriptor is worthless and meaningless.

Riki isn't great because he's a cutesy fluff ball with wacky eyes or whatever. He owns because he's a dead-beat dad who joins the hero's group to support and protect his seven kids.

Riki also owns because Riki sneaky

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Riki also owns because Riki sneaky

Heropon very cool.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anime as a critical adjective is largely useless, but I always take it more to refer to the cliches that show up very commonly in anime moreso than anything else. For good or ill, anime and Japanese games have a real problem with lockstep cliches.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I know this isn't a Switch thread, but someone drop a couple more exclusives for me besides Mario and Zelda, so I can really confirm my decision to buy a Switch. Pretty please and thank you.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Octopath, SMT5, and Metroid Prime 4 are the big ones that have my attention. I haven't been watching the console too much though so I'm also interested to know what else there is (specifically stuff that's not on PC as well).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Node posted:

I know this isn't a Switch thread, but someone drop a couple more exclusives for me besides Mario and Zelda, so I can really confirm my decision to buy a Switch. Pretty please and thank you.

Mario X Rabbids is an incredibly solid SRPG. Also Mario Kart 8 if you don't have it for WiiU, Splatoon 2 is a great shooter, Pokken Tournement is a fun fighter.

Those are all the current good exclusives.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Node posted:

They're making a new main RPG series Pokemon game for the Switch. It's the first time a main series Pokemon game will be on Nintendos console, rather than their handheld.

It's already in development.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cancelled my physical order today, and have preordered digital.

I think for the sheer amount of hours I'm going to be spending on this game, I like the idea of it always being there ready to go.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Any word on how long the game will be? I put about 100 hours into the first game and kinda burned out just before the ending.

Also this game better have some reference to Reyn Time. Reyn Time was the best time :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a glitch posted:

Any word on how long the game will be? I put about 100 hours into the first game and kinda burned out just before the ending.

Also this game better have some reference to Reyn Time. Reyn Time was the best time :colbert:

Xenoblade Chronicles had an average playtime of about 75 hours from just doing plot advancement, with about double that if you went insane and did all the sidequests. XCX was a bit of a trainwreck with its plot, but had about 150 hours of general content. So there's your ballpark.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/BurningAegis/status/934285229497503746

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

No it's worse in xbx because the entire song would start over every time you jumped and landed. It would've been way more bearable if it worked like this video suggested

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

idgi

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
I just ordered myself one (1) fine copy of this game, never played any Xenoblade games but I trust the hype and my desire for good action RPG on good old Nintendo Switch

That is my story of ordering this game, see you in about 2 weeks when I receive my very own physical copy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
in thinking of taking a day off

i still have to burn 3 days of holiday for the year anyway

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

English version of the character trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG8pz9plUQ

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Xenochav Chronicles 2

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tyberius posted:

English version of the character trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wG8pz9plUQ

Pyra's voice sounds very strange for her character model, but I like Rex's English voice a lot.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Half the characters sound like bad Jon Snow impressions

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

British/Australian/Irish accents, game confirmed Not Anime.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Anime as a critical adjective is largely useless, but I always take it more to refer to the cliches that show up very commonly in anime moreso than anything else. For good or ill, anime and Japanese games have a real problem with lockstep cliches.

Isn't a large part of this that only Otaku in Japan are willing to spending all their disposable income on stuff instead of saving it leading to their pop-culture to be incredibly skewed towards Otaku?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill try the dub out, may end up switching to sub tho

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chumbler posted:

British/Australian/Irish accents, game confirmed Not Anime.

I was pleasantly surprised that Zeke and Rex are basically Irishmen and there's a handful of Aussie/Brits in there. English voices all sounded pretty good in the trailer, even the Nopon guy sounded a bit like Riki

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The English voices in the other trailer left me cold and ready to turn on the Japanese voices, but this trailer makes me feel a bit better about them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really have no idea how accurate these accents are (I''m assuming they're authentic) but it was kinda hard to parse a lot of those lines for me. Hopefully it'll be better in the game proper.

I didn't get the chance to play XCX, but I'll probably pick this one up just because the first game was so good. It looks a lot more... well, obnoxious, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Sam Faust posted:

Being the central way of customizing your characters both in battle and cosmetically (there’s no visible equipment changes like in previous games)

Dammit, I was really hoping I was gonna get to find the rest of that megaman outfit Rex forgot to put on.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Sounds like they took all the audio balance complaints about XCX to heart.
https://twitter.com/hdkirin/status/931168179207806976

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ohtsam posted:

That's great news. What is with Nintendo first and second parties dropping sound balancing options anyway? Zelda and Mario both had no volume options.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

In Xenoblade Chronicles X, there was a unqiue song that played whenever you entered the Skell flight module. If you were flying around for a long time you got to hear the whole thing, but the reality is that often you'll be popping in and out of the flight mode constantly to get over small gaps. Unlike in that video the song doesn't remember where it was in last played, it just starts back from the beginning. So you'll keep hearing the start of the flight song over and over. Its dumb as hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Momomo posted:

I really have no idea how accurate these accents are (I''m assuming they're authentic) but it was kinda hard to parse a lot of those lines for me. Hopefully it'll be better in the game proper.

Pretty accurate, given they're the natural accents of the VA's :v:.

It's a rather nice callback to Nintendo EU using British actors because Nintendo US didn't want to localize Xenoblade Chronicles.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The OST for this is going to be phenomenal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKS3X0wlm8

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so far the most disappointing thing is breaking tradition of mixing and matching goofy outfits for your characters. I loved that about the other games and think Rex's diver helmet Quasimodo backpack is awful. I'm switching to Zeke asap.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New trailer, that is potentially a bit spoilery

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

eonwe posted:

in thinking of taking a day off

i still have to burn 3 days of holiday for the year anyway

Worth it imho, I'm only taking a half-day but that's because the game store is near my workplace and I cbf driving out just to pick up a game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm taking two days off, though that's partially because I'm moving over the weekend as well.

Still, no shame. It's your vacation, use it how you want. I'm not big on travel so I take days off to play a new game all the time. I love that Nintendo has been releasing things on Fridays instead of Tuesdays, because I can just turn it into a long weekend instead of weekend-work monday-take tuesday off

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ohtsam posted:

Really hope more games start doing this, good on them

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Infinitum posted:

The OST for this is going to be phenomenal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKS3X0wlm8

The lyrics are TERRIBLE, they're better off keeping things in Latin or general hymns like past games.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Nintendo of Australia's twitter account may have more or less spoiled two eventual party members with the way they have worded their latest tweets.

Entirely obvious choices on who they are, but nothing we definitively know for sure based on pre release media alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Why have I seen zero mention anywhere that Pyra has the loving Zohar on her chest?