Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The mods approved and it seems like the rule has been repealed: Armchair booking is back on!

Some ground rules: 1. No booking current stuff, the cut-off is 2 years back. No rebooking this year's shows or what star you currently hate/love. That was what started the rule in the first place.

2. Be creative. The basic idea is request weird stuff: How to re-book the Fingerpoke of Doom to make it make sense, make Chyna WWF champ, etc.

3. Each person then chooses the request and books it.

Simple.

To start with: Book 1999 Goldust to win the WWF title in a plausible manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldTennisCourt posted:

To remind myself I went back to cagematch.net to check his statistics - for some reason I remembered 99 Goldust as being involved in all the Terri break-up stuff that year but it happened earlier. His loss percentage in 1999 was 81% :stare:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm no good at fantasy booking, but I think the key is to use Mankind. I'd have Goldust befriend Mankind after The Rock rejects Mankind. Goldust and Mankind could reignite their bizarre pairing from 1996. Mankind would still win the title at Summerslam, but instead of dropping to Triple H, Goldust would turn on him and win the title during their feud.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

OldTennisCourt posted:

In regular continuity, Dustin Runnels acted like a born again Christian with the swerve being that Goldust was the one coming back instead of Jesus. Then he had a short feud with Blue Meanie, got Meanie to become his sidekick, had Ryan Shamrock in his corner for a bit, won the IC title, lost it weeks later to Godfather, then lost a dark tag match on PPV before moving off to WCW to do that Seven gimmick.

So let's play up the religious context. Having Meanie and Ryan Shamrock with him is the beginning. Goldust becomes a cross between Raven and Bray Wyatt, not just carrying himself as a corrupting influence, but for proclaiming himself THE corrupting influence. "This used to be a beautiful world until I existed." Goldust was the harbinger of what turned WWF into the edgy reality it had become. While he wouldn't outright use the term, he depicts himself as the God of the Attitude Era.

Suffice to say, Goldust would hold onto that Intercontinental Championship for much longer than two weeks. In time, the Godfather would bow to him.

Vince wanted to do an incest angle with the Shamrocks and while they wouldn't go as far as to actually bang or anything, Ryan would come onto her brother under Goldust's influence. This would give us a Shamrock/Goldust feud to keep him distracted from the main event while his faction would gradually become stronger. Over months, in backstage segments, we'd see that Goldust seemed to have some kind of influence over Mankind, who he would refer to as his apostle. GTV would reveal Goldust as the one who moved the briefcase in that one Austin ladder match with the clip ending with Goldust acknowledging the "hidden" camera, as he's the one behind GTV as well.

Goldust would increasingly take responsibility for everyone's actions in his promos. He's the reason why Mick Foley became a deranged sadist. He's why Undertaker worshiped Satan. He's why the Ringmaster became a cold-blooded psychopath. He's why a blue chipper became the epitome of greed and ego. Why a blue-blooded snob became a degenerate. Why a billionaire who moonlighted as a commentator became a violent control freak. Goldust poisoned the well and created a company of monsters.

Then you go to Summerslam 99. Mankind wins the championship in a triple threat because Jesse Ventura's the referee and needs a face to win. In the follow-up, Goldust attempts to fingerpoke-of-doom Mankind, but Foley can't allow it to happen. He transforms into Cactus Jack as a survival mechanism and is able to fight against Goldust. Still, Goldust is able to get the title off of him thanks to Foley's mental tug-of-war and interference. Goldust is also able to absorb much of the Ministry of Darkness into his stable to tie in with Undertaker taking time off.

Even if he has an army, it's Goldust's army of midcarders and jobbers against an unlikely united front from the top guys in the company. By the next PPV, Goldust's faction is completely decimated by the likes of Austin, Rock, Triple H, Cactus Jack and Big Show. Austin gets a title match against Goldust and once the interference is dealt with (thanks mostly to Triple H), Austin kicks the poo poo out of Goldust. Triple H then clobbers Austin with the sledgehammer and drags him over Goldust's body so Austin becomes champ, but Triple H can continue being an rear end in a top hat heel contender.

Survivor Series happens as is, but with one big change: Goldust is the one who makes fun of Big Show's dead father instead of Big Boss Man. Big Show runs through what's left of Goldust's stable, Goldust walks off, Austin gets run over, Big Show takes his place and Big Show has a short feud with Goldust over the belt. At least this time, Goldust can take credit for Big Show's rampage to the title. Big Show retains the title and moves on to losing it to Triple H shortly after.

Does that work?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I'm no good at fantasy booking, but I think the key is to use Mankind. I'd have Goldust befriend Mankind after The Rock rejects Mankind. Goldust and Mankind could reignite their bizarre pairing from 1996. Mankind would still win the title at Summerslam, but instead of dropping to Triple H, Goldust would turn on him and win the title during their feud.

That's a cool choice; I feel concerned that it would put the focus on Mankind and make Dust a belt pillow as opposed to an actual champion.

I think if you're going to make 1999 Goldust a believable champion you start the push with his win over the Blue Meanie in February. He gets his Bluedust lackey and with that we start to shift his character from the whole "gay fear" idea into a more megalomaniac concept, feeding off the "he is coming" angle from 98 so that he's here to preach the gospel of Golddust (the goldspel? ). I would have to do a bit more research into the whole "Higher Power" storyline but if it paid off in 1999 or early 2000 pre-wrestlemania it's revealed that Golddust is the Higher power and he uses the Ministry to strong arm his way into the WWF title scene, ideally winning it at Wrestlemania to kick off a new arc with Undertaker at some point breaking away.

I'm phone posting but I'm thinking I could do a more accurate and in depth booking with access to my computer and Wikipedia.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

In regular continuity, Dustin Runnels acted like a born again Christian with the swerve being that Goldust was the one coming back instead of Jesus. Then he had a short feud with Blue Meanie, got Meanie to become his sidekick, had Ryan Shamrock in his corner for a bit, won the IC title, lost it weeks later to Godfather, then lost a dark tag match on PPV before moving off to WCW to do that Seven gimmick.

So let's play up the religious context. Having Meanie and Ryan Shamrock with him is the beginning. Goldust becomes a cross between Raven and Bray Wyatt, not just carrying himself as a corrupting influence, but for proclaiming himself THE corrupting influence. "This used to be a beautiful world until I existed." Goldust was the harbinger of what turned WWF into the edgy reality it had become. While he wouldn't outright use the term, he depicts himself as the God of the Attitude Era.

Suffice to say, Goldust would hold onto that Intercontinental Championship for much longer than two weeks. In time, the Godfather would bow to him.

Vince wanted to do an incest angle with the Shamrocks and while they wouldn't go as far as to actually bang or anything, Ryan would come onto her brother under Goldust's influence. This would give us a Shamrock/Goldust feud to keep him distracted from the main event while his faction would gradually become stronger. Over months, in backstage segments, we'd see that Goldust seemed to have some kind of influence over Mankind, who he would refer to as his apostle. GTV would reveal Goldust as the one who moved the briefcase in that one Austin ladder match with the clip ending with Goldust acknowledging the "hidden" camera, as he's the one behind GTV as well.

Goldust would increasingly take responsibility for everyone's actions in his promos. He's the reason why Mick Foley became a deranged sadist. He's why Undertaker worshiped Satan. He's why the Ringmaster became a cold-blooded psychopath. He's why a blue chipper became the epitome of greed and ego. Why a blue-blooded snob became a degenerate. Why a billionaire who moonlighted as a commentator became a violent control freak. Goldust poisoned the well and created a company of monsters.

Then you go to Summerslam 99. Mankind wins the championship in a triple threat because Jesse Ventura's the referee and needs a face to win. In the follow-up, Goldust attempts to fingerpoke-of-doom Mankind, but Foley can't allow it to happen. He transforms into Cactus Jack as a survival mechanism and is able to fight against Goldust. Still, Goldust is able to get the title off of him thanks to Foley's mental tug-of-war and interference. Goldust is also able to absorb much of the Ministry of Darkness into his stable to tie in with Undertaker taking time off.

Even if he has an army, it's Goldust's army of midcarders and jobbers against an unlikely united front from the top guys in the company. By the next PPV, Goldust's faction is completely decimated by the likes of Austin, Rock, Triple H, Cactus Jack and Big Show. Austin gets a title match against Goldust and once the interference is dealt with (thanks mostly to Triple H), Austin kicks the poo poo out of Goldust. Triple H then clobbers Austin with the sledgehammer and drags him over Goldust's body so Austin becomes champ, but Triple H can continue being an rear end in a top hat heel contender.

Survivor Series happens as is, but with one big change: Goldust is the one who makes fun of Big Show's dead father instead of Big Boss Man. Big Show runs through what's left of Goldust's stable, Goldust walks off, Austin gets run over, Big Show takes his place and Big Show has a short feud with Goldust over the belt. At least this time, Goldust can take credit for Big Show's rampage to the title. Big Show retains the title and moves on to losing it to Triple H shortly after.

Does that work?

This is exactly the poo poo this thread was made for.

Okay next one: book a better option for the Higher Power.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Jake "the Snake" Roberts.

"Austin I told you you needed to put your faith in a higher power like I had, but you took my hand and slapped it away, mocking my faith with your bastardization of the gospel. You mentioned John 3:16, did you ever learn what that passage is?

" For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " all that I have done has been to show you the light, Austin, because I, of all people, know that to find the light you have to walk through darkness. But you don't believe, do you? So you won't have eternal life, Austin. I am going to destroy you and your corrupting influence on the world!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wasn't Jake actually originally slated for the Higher Power position?

Gavok, loved your Goldust idea.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

From a storytelling position it makes perfect sense if Jake is the higher power and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the original plan. Funnily enough in theory the Vince as the Higher Power isn't a bad idea either IF they hadn't had the Ministry going after the McMahons and instead focused on everyone else.

Also yeah Gavok your Golddust book was great; we had the same idea but I think you had a way more detailed concept than i did in terms of development and payoff.

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Jake the Snake would have been an excellent choice.

Remember hearing/reading rumours that people thought the Higher Power might be Don Calis. I could have seen that working.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Ted DiBiase would have been a good choice as well. He has a history with both Stone Cold and the Undertaker, and his motive would be a corporate takeover from Vince.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Ted DiBiase would have been a good choice as well. He has a history with both Stone Cold and the Undertaker, and his motive would be a corporate takeover from Vince.

"Everybody seems to forget that there is no higher power than the Almighty Dollar! Hahahahahaha!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Book a competent WCW Invasion. As a way of making it a little easier, let's pretend you don't decide to cheap out completely, you can have Sting, Scott Steiner, and Ric Flair.

Added optional challenge: use Raven & Saturn in a half decent way.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

This is gonna go into a fantasy booking black hole, but I can’t think of a better place for this:

Because they had someone dress up as Mae Young’s grown-up-from-baby Hand from that awful Mark Henry skit years before as a throwaway joke, I imagined Mark Henry tag-teaming with the Hand as a take on “Master Hand” from Super Smash Bros who somehow had kayfabe-breaking overpower rules (like, Superplexes with the double-teammate assist would be protected for eternity).

How the hell could anyone get that gimmick over?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Book a competent WCW Invasion. As a way of making it a little easier, let's pretend you don't decide to cheap out completely, you can have Sting, Scott Steiner, and Ric Flair.

Act One: Sting, Steiner, Flair, Booker T, and DDP do the Nexus Invasion. WWF challenges them to a Survivor Series match vs. Rock, Austin, Angle, The Undertaker, and Chris Jericho. If WCW wins, all the former WCW employees get on TV, if they lose, they're all fired. Jericho does a Hogan style betrayal. The six of them form the main WCW faction, the rest are all B-Teamers. They win all the belts.

Act Two: Vince is furious and wants to get rid of WCW more and more as they win on WWF guys and hold all the titles. Ric Flair expresses his desire to take over WWF and get it renamed to WCW. At the Invasion PPV, it's War Games with Sting, Steiner, DDP, and Jericho vs. Rock, Austin, Angle, and Undertaker and the winner controls Monday Night RAW. It ends in a wild brawl between both rosters, but Sting gets Angle in the Deathlock, and Ric Flair sprays mace in his eyes, making him surrender. The final WWF RAW is aired the next day, and Vince is humiliated and run off.

Act Three: Ric Flair becomes Commissioner of WCW and RAW, and Vince even goes on media to talk about how the World Wildlife Fund was suing them and they needed to rename the company. WCW starts to let their hair down and relax a bit, as it seems this will be the new status quo, and Sting, Booker T, and DDP all express a desire to compete normally, but the WWF guys say they haven't given up, and somehow, they'll bring the WWF back. Months later, Vince reappears, saying if he can't have the WWF back, he'll burn the place down, and let it turn into complete chaos. Vince brings in ECW, who destroy everyone with weapons, WCW and WWF alike. ECW employs guerrilla tactics and weaponry to mess up RAW as much as possible. Ric Flair tries to get them under control with security, cops, and other tactics, but fails, and eventually all the wrestlers get sick of this and turn on him. Ric Flair begs Vince to call ECW off, but Vince only will if control of the company returns to him. Sting, Booker T, and DDP are in favour of giving control back to Vince, but Jericho, Flair, and Steiner don't want to. In fact, wrestlers in all three factions are split on the matter of who should control the company. Austin is OK with anyone who isn't Vince, and some of the ECW guys don't care if Vince brought them in and want Paul Heyman in charge.

Climax: This all leads up to the Royal Rumble, which will feature 10 wrestlers each from WWF, WCW, and ECW. The winner of the Royal Rumble not only wins a Wrestlemania title shot, but will get to decide who runs the company. Sting wins the Royal Rumble, and admits he's been foolish, and let his loyalty to WCW override his common sense. Sting says throughout the whole process there's only been one person level headed, neutral, and who would do whatever was right at the time. Sting gives the company to Linda McMahon, who comes out to declare that each faction has strengths, and that all three should be united equally to create one massive entertainment company. She says she's going to take the first initial from each faction, and call the company the WWE.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Book an outcome for the Nexus storyline that doesn't leave them looking like chumps, please

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Generico posted:

and call the company the WWE.

I'm not being sarcastic, I really dug that bit :)

Jenny Angel posted:

Book an outcome for the Nexus storyline that doesn't leave them looking like chumps, please

John...John just puts on the loving shirt.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, well played.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks!

quote:

Wade beats John and causes John to look deep inside himself, and realize that he was not the better man. He admits that there's something special about the Nexus that he wants to be a part of, and puts on the loving shirt. John Cena joins the Nexus legitimately, and helps them in matches, but he also starts to mentor all the members, and help them find their own voices and personas. Skip Sheffield becomes Ryback, Heath Slater takes on his rock star persona, Justin Gabriel becomes the Darewolf, Darren Young embraces his Primetime persona, and Michael Tarver and David Otunga form a tag team.

The Nexus starts to look up to John Cena more than Wade Barrett, and he gets jealous, despite Cena calling him the leader and respecting him as a guy who was able to beat him. Wade Barrett doesn't care and tries to kick Cena out of the Nexus, but all the other members refuse to let him. Cena and Wade have another match, and if Wade wins, Cena leaves the Nexus, but if Cena wins, he becomes the leader. Cena wins in a close contest, and Wade quits, even though Cena asks him not to, and offers to let them be co-leaders. John Cena says he's taught the other Nexus members all he can, and that instead of Cena leading them, they need a new leader who can keep them righteous while also letting them be their own entity, and not under Cena's shadow. Daniel Bryan returns as the new leader of the now babyface Nexus.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Book a competent WCW Invasion.

Jenny Angel posted:

Realize you have something hot, based on how well the opening angle went. Have the heels actually win matches with real stakes, then develop heat for a big blowoff, rather than be scared that your established star(s) can’t ever lose. Control the backstage backlash to a changing paradigm on air, and push forward with the new creative vision. The babyface eventually wins at wrestlemania

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Jake as the Higher Power would have been amazing.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 27, 2017

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Okay so the Nexus is one of those angles I've been trying to rebook for ages, so let's go with what I've got (be warned this is going to be super melodramatic as well as vague on events because my timeline sucks.)

So the initial Nexus attack happens pretty much as it happened, with the sole exception that WWE has some balls and doesn't summarily fire Daniel Bryan. They DO suspend him however. Barrett uses this as a lightning rod, stating that the Nexus spat in the status quo's face and instead of shutting it down, Daniel Bryan, one of the most talented individuals in Sports Entertainment was punished. This is a sign of how corrupt the system has become and it's time for a change, and he's ready to be the instrument.

Wade continues portraying himself as a firebrand, a voice of the downtrodden who is speaking for those who can't speak for themselves. Cena stands against him, saying he didn't win his WWE championship by sneak attacking people, but through Hustle, Loyalty and Respect, and when you're in the WWE you can't wait for a handout you have to EARN it. In the middle is CM Punk who tried to defend Cena from the Nexus but refuses to outright stand by his side, instead criticizing the Nexus for their shortcuts, something the Straight Edge Society looks down upon.

Battle lines are quickly drawn with the heel midcarders siding with the Nexus and the babyfaces joining with Cena. Wade Barrett wins the WWE title from Cena through the help of the Nexus and stands victorious, citing how it's the unity and teamwork of the Nexus that gives them strength.

CM Punk continues to stand on the sidelines, preaching Straight Edge Salvation and that neither Cena nor the Nexus understand what it truly takes to be a champion. During the buildup to Cena and Wade's title match, Punk wins the US title (was that the Raw midcard title? I can't remember).

Over the following weeks the Nexus begins to dominate the title scene, encouraged by Barrett's win and the Nexus Ethos; the original core Nexus getting as much focus as possible when they can work, while those who can't (I'm looking at you Tarver) take on supplementary roles, either enforcers or mouthpieces. Eventually they Nexus holds every available title except the one Punk holds and both the Nexus and Cena's faction start trying to petition Punk to pick a side. Punk refuses. It's decided a triple threat match will decide the champion at the next PPV, with Cena putting Kofi Kingston forward as the challenger for WWE, and Wade Barrett announcing the returning Daniel Bryan as his challenger. Bryan wins the match, defeating Kofi.

The Nexus stands dominant over the WWE (or at least RAW, I really struggle with figuring out how to integrate it without completely destroying the brand split and that didn't happen for a couple more years if I recall), but cracks begin to show. Sitting at the top Wade stops espousing the populist rhetoric he clung to so fiercely and begins talking about "protecting" what the Nexus has built. He becomes solely focused on defending his championship and lets his Nexus brothers become vulnerable. As Cena begins rallying his troops, Punk begins angling for Wade as well, calling him out on his hypocrisy. In addition, Daniel Bryan begins questioning the direction of the Nexus, not only where they're going but how he was left to hang when he was suspended, used as a martyr for the cause.

Eventually it all falls apart, with the more suggestible Nexus members joining the SES while the more idealistic ones strike out on their own or join up with Cena. Daniel stays by Wade, trying to bring him back to the ideals they started the Nexus with, but Barrett has gone completely off the deep end by this point, sacrificing anybody to protect his title including Daniel who is left alone at the mercy of Cena who lays an ungodly beating into him that was intended for Wade.

Finally we arrive at Wrestlemania where it's Wade Barrett, alone with nothing but his title and his lofty promises which have all proven to be hollow versus the Royal Rumble winner Cena who has spent a year building himself back up not only into a true potential champion but also a leader of men. Things go as expected with Cena getting the 3 and regaining the WWE Championship, only to find himself face to face with CM Punk, flanked by the true believers of the Straight Edge Society who intend to show him what it means to go against a force that understands what sacrifice TRULY means.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Renaissance Spam posted:

Okay so the Nexus is one of those angles I've been trying to rebook for ages, so let's go with what I've got (be warned this is going to be super melodramatic as well as vague on events because my timeline sucks.)

So the initial Nexus attack happens pretty much as it happened, with the sole exception that WWE has some balls and doesn't summarily fire Daniel Bryan. They DO suspend him however. Barrett uses this as a lightning rod, stating that the Nexus spat in the status quo's face and instead of shutting it down, Daniel Bryan, one of the most talented individuals in Sports Entertainment was punished. This is a sign of how corrupt the system has become and it's time for a change, and he's ready to be the instrument.

Wade continues portraying himself as a firebrand, a voice of the downtrodden who is speaking for those who can't speak for themselves. Cena stands against him, saying he didn't win his WWE championship by sneak attacking people, but through Hustle, Loyalty and Respect, and when you're in the WWE you can't wait for a handout you have to EARN it. In the middle is CM Punk who tried to defend Cena from the Nexus but refuses to outright stand by his side, instead criticizing the Nexus for their shortcuts, something the Straight Edge Society looks down upon.

Battle lines are quickly drawn with the heel midcarders siding with the Nexus and the babyfaces joining with Cena. Wade Barrett wins the WWE title from Cena through the help of the Nexus and stands victorious, citing how it's the unity and teamwork of the Nexus that gives them strength.

CM Punk continues to stand on the sidelines, preaching Straight Edge Salvation and that neither Cena nor the Nexus understand what it truly takes to be a champion. During the buildup to Cena and Wade's title match, Punk wins the US title (was that the Raw midcard title? I can't remember).

Over the following weeks the Nexus begins to dominate the title scene, encouraged by Barrett's win and the Nexus Ethos; the original core Nexus getting as much focus as possible when they can work, while those who can't (I'm looking at you Tarver) take on supplementary roles, either enforcers or mouthpieces. Eventually they Nexus holds every available title except the one Punk holds and both the Nexus and Cena's faction start trying to petition Punk to pick a side. Punk refuses. It's decided a triple threat match will decide the champion at the next PPV, with Cena putting Kofi Kingston forward as the challenger for WWE, and Wade Barrett announcing the returning Daniel Bryan as his challenger. Bryan wins the match, defeating Kofi.

The Nexus stands dominant over the WWE (or at least RAW, I really struggle with figuring out how to integrate it without completely destroying the brand split and that didn't happen for a couple more years if I recall), but cracks begin to show. Sitting at the top Wade stops espousing the populist rhetoric he clung to so fiercely and begins talking about "protecting" what the Nexus has built. He becomes solely focused on defending his championship and lets his Nexus brothers become vulnerable. As Cena begins rallying his troops, Punk begins angling for Wade as well, calling him out on his hypocrisy. In addition, Daniel Bryan begins questioning the direction of the Nexus, not only where they're going but how he was left to hang when he was suspended, used as a martyr for the cause.

Eventually it all falls apart, with the more suggestible Nexus members joining the SES while the more idealistic ones strike out on their own or join up with Cena. Daniel stays by Wade, trying to bring him back to the ideals they started the Nexus with, but Barrett has gone completely off the deep end by this point, sacrificing anybody to protect his title including Daniel who is left alone at the mercy of Cena who lays an ungodly beating into him that was intended for Wade.

Finally we arrive at Wrestlemania where it's Wade Barrett, alone with nothing but his title and his lofty promises which have all proven to be hollow versus the Royal Rumble winner Cena who has spent a year building himself back up not only into a true potential champion but also a leader of men. Things go as expected with Cena getting the 3 and regaining the WWE Championship, only to find himself face to face with CM Punk, flanked by the true believers of the Straight Edge Society who intend to show him what it means to go against a force that understands what sacrifice TRULY means.

My only problem with this is that I feel like ending WM on starting a new story is somewhat antithetical to the purpose of WM, which is to blow off the year's stories. So maybe save Punk getting in John's face for the next night.

Maybe at Rumble you could have had somebody debut and go on a win streak, also, and then have them challenge Punk at WM for his midcard strap with SES going to nutty lengths to make sure their Saviour stays champ. I dunno, did WWE have any big expendable lugs for this purpose at the time?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The other idea I remember finding really funny for the Higher Power was Brian Pillman having faked his death. "Smart marks. Smaaaaaaaart maaaaaaaarks..."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

The other idea I remember finding really funny for the Higher Power was Brian Pillman having faked his death. "Smart marks. Smaaaaaaaart maaaaaaaarks..."

I often wonder how much overlap there is between conspiracy theorists who buy into REALLY out there poo poo and wrestling fandom. It wouldn't surprise me if it was drat near a flat circle.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Book New Jack from debut to WWE champion.

Alternately - book New Jack from the time he enters the WWE until the time he takes the Undertaker's streak at Wrestlemania

This should be fun.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
At Judgement Day: In Your House, Paul Bearer was found in the back unconscious. JR later tells the crowd that he has been taken to a local medical facility and is healing well, but he has not shown up again since. Everything else happens as it actually did (minus any mention of The Ministry).

So, it's December 13th, 1998, and The Undertaker has just lost to Steve Austin in a Buried Alive match In a fury, Vince McMahon declares that there is a $100,000 bounty for anyone who eliminates Steve Austin from the rumble. Weeks go by, and nobody has seen The Undertaker since then, but wrestlers start disappearing. On the December 21st edition of Raw, when Owen Hart is scheduled for a match, but never comes out. The following weeks, it's Val Venis and Mark Henry. During this time, The Brood has made their debut, and The Acolytes have cast out Jackyl, warning of a great darkness on the horizon.

At the go home show for the Royal Rumble, Chyna wins the corporate rumble to be the 30th Entrant into the Royal Rumble.

At the rumble itself, when it comes time for the drawing, Owen, Venis, and Henry show up, no worse for wear. They draw their numbers, and there's a comedy bit where Owen tries to swap his number out for Henry's and is caught doing it.

When the rumble itself happens, Vince and Austin are fighting as is the storyline, and Owen is out at #8. Venis shows up at #13, and Henry is #27. When Chyna is entering at #30, two cloaked figures attack her and leave her laying, and The Undertaker returns, with Paul Bearer at his side, to take her place. Upon his entry, Owen, Venis, and Henry start working together to eliminate everyone. Austin and McMahon return, and seeing an opportunity, McMahon attempts to ally himself with the Undertaker and his allies, but winds up attacked by them himself. Between the two of them, Austin and McMahon manage to eliminate the three underlings, and the final three are The Undertaker, Austin, and McMahon. The Undertaker eliminates Austin with the help of Owen, Venis, and Henry, but McMahon takes him out afterwards with help from The Rock, who shows up as a distraction. Vince McMahon has won the 1999 Royal Rumble!

The next night, Vince attempts to get out of the bounty he offered, by claiming that he offered it to the wrestler who eliminated Austin, when techncially FOUR wrestlers eliminated Austin. This, combined with the crazy finish, has led to Commissioner Shawn Michaels declaring that Vince is going to have to put up his Rumble Shot AND the $100,000 bounty in a triple threat cage match, between himself, Steve Austin, and The Undertaker, at St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Meanwhile, Owen, Venis, and Henry aren't showing any allegiance to The Undertaker, and instead are acting like nothing happened.

At St. Valentine's Day Massacre, The Undertaker comes out with Bearer and three cloaked figures, presumably Henry, Owen, and Venis. The match is primarily Austin vs The Undertaker, with McMahon trying to escape every now and then and the other two stopping them. The match ends when the debuting Big Show puts Austin through the cage, giving him the win, title shot and $100,000. The Undertaker's three servants try to take advantage of this by attacking Austin and McMahon, and attempting to drag them off. They almost capture McMahon, but Austin and the Big Show manage to fight them off, Austin saving himself, and Big Show saving McMahon. In the scuffle, the hoods are removed from the cloaked figures, revealing them to be The Brood.

The next Raw, The Undertaker and Paul Bearer come out, with 7 hooded figures in tow. Bearer reveals the Ministry of Darkness, dedicated to evil. The seven figures here are the Seven Deadly Sins. Envy (Owen Hart removes his hood), Gluttony (Henry), Lust (Venis), Greed (Christian), Wrath (Edge), Sloth (Gangrel), and finally Pride. The final member does not remove his hood. Bearer says that their goal is nothing less than the destruction of the WWF.

At Wrestlemania, The Corporation tries their best to prevent Austin from winning the title, including taking out special guest referee Mankind, and interfering, however at the end of the night, Austin is the WWF champion.

At Backlash, Austin retains his title, despite Shane attempting to screw him out of it. The Undertaker and his sins appear after the match and attack Austin, The Rock, Vince and Shane. They manage to hold them all off, until Pride joins the mix and takes them all out. The PPV ends with The Undertaker posing with Austin's smoking skull belt.

The Main Event of No Mercy is Austin vs Triple H in an Anything Goes match for the title. Austin wins the match after a stunner to HHH. The Undertaker and the Sins (except Pride), but with the help of Mankind, who had wrestled Mankind the match before, they manage to fight them off. Austin, Mankind and Hunter stand in a semi-united front to end No Mercy.

In the leadup to Over the Edge, Vince makes a match between Triple H and The Big Show for #1 Contendership for Austin's title.

Over the Edge goes off without a hitch (Owen doesn't have a match as part of the Ministry), and during the main event, the sins interfere, and as a result wins the title.

At King of the Ring, the finals are Goldust vs X-Pac, with Goldust winning, earning a title shot. In the main event, Austin and The Rock face The Undertaker for the title. Through various shenanigans, DX and Mankind help drive off the sins (sans Pride), and Austin pins The Rock to win the title. At this point, a deep voice tells The Undertaker that he has failed him. The Undertaker apologizes to this person and begs his forgiveness, revealing that he serves him. Pride walks out, and takes off his mask.

Goldust stands there, and without a word beckons to the backstage. The acolytes walk out, carrying an unconscious Paul Bearer. The sins and the acolytes all surround Bearer, and he is crucified. The next night on Raw, he said that if The Undertaker failed to recapture the title from Austin, we would never see Paul Bearer on WWF television again.

At Fully Loaded, The Undertaker fails to recapture the title from Austin, so Paul Bearer was not allowed back on WWF television.

At Summerslam, with the help of the other sins, The Undertaker, and The Acolytes, Goldust defeated Austin to capture the title. He'd defend it against Austin and then transition into a feud with Kane after Bearer returns or something.

That should do it for both "Rewrite the Higher Power" and "Get Goldust the title in 1999." I tried to keep events similar without keeping them the same. I originally started this with the intention of keeping the Higher Power Vince, but then realized I could do both at once.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jenny Angel posted:

Don't fire Daniel Bryan.
Or at the very least have him side with Nexus when he gets rehired.
Have him be the one to lead it and beat John Cena and all that jazz.
No forcibly recruiting Cena into Nexus because that poo poo is always stupid as hell.
Bryan wins the WHT, Barrett seethes with jealousy, turns Otunga against him, recruits McGillicutty and Harris to aid him.
Heel Nexus (Barrett) vs. Face Nexus (Bryan)
Bryan wins and what was left of his Nexus disbands amicably because top faces don't need backup.
Then everybody's career continues the way it would have anyway because really the Nexus didn't really alter anybody's career arc.
Except for Bryan, who gets what he deserves while he's still healthy enough to enjoy it.

All of this of course hinges on a WWE culture that wasn't so John Cena reliant that they had him wrestle under a mask as "Juan Cena" after he got 'fired' for all of 3 weeks.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 27, 2017

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Added optional challenge: use Raven & Saturn in a half decent way.

In the Year of Our Lord 2001, the midway point of Wrestlemania 17 sees the ultimate comeuppance for years of dirtbaggery from one Vince McMahon. His son, Shane, having stolen World Championship Wrestling from his father just hours beforehand, helps his mother revive from a catatonic state so she can boot his father right in the jewels, and as Trish Stratus takes out the trash that is his sister, he places a some trash of his own against Vince's skull and delivers the Coast 2 Coast, securing the pinfall. The Boss has been humiliated. But the night is not over.

In the weeks prior, the World Championship match between Steve Austin and Champion The Rock has reached a fever pitch. Both men are faces, both men are the most popular men in the sport, both are at the top of their game, and they will fight for the biggest prize in the game. Austin has beaten The Rock before, but as the match wears on something is different this time. Despite using everything in his arsenal, The Rattlesnake seems unable to contain the Brahma Bull. As he grows more desperate, the match is intruded upon by... SHANE McMahon. A red-hot babyface after his struggle against his father, the crowd in the Astrodome cheers as he surprisingly helps Austin by preventing Rock from securing a pinfall! Austin seems to barely notice the interference, so single-minded is his focus on The Rock, but The People's Champion will not stay down, even kicking out of a seemingly-decisive Stone-Cold Stunner. Austin is at wits ends as Shane O'mac grabs a chair from ringside and offers it as the means to end the match. Austin takes a long, hard look at the steel weapon, takes it from Shane's hands... and clocks him with it, refusing the temptation to turn heel! He turns back to the downed Rock, flipping him a double bird and demanding he stand and fight... and Rock kips up, and signals Austin to JUST! BRING IT! There is one final blow-away sequence of counters, punches, and one last stunner sees Steve Austin once again crowned WWF Champion! Uncharacteristically, Austin offers a hand to the fallen Rocky, and JR speculates that after all these years, perhaps these two ultimate rivals have finally found mutual respect... and then from below the canvas, Shane crawls to his feet with a mic:

"For years, you've been kicking my dad's teeth down his throat Austin. I hoped that since we both hated his guts, things could be different between us. But now I see that if you're not with me... you're against me!"

The ring is rushed from several different directions... by WCW wrestlers! The exhausted Rock and Austin go back-to-back, swinging wildly at the likes of Buff Bagwell and Chris Kanyon, but can hold their ground only moments before they are overwhelmed. At the top of the ramp appears four figures, watching the carnage, and JR quickly identifies them: Diamond Dallas Page, master of the deadly Diamond Cutter, Ric Flair, pro-wrestling legend and former WWF Champion, current WCW United States Champion "Big Poppa Pump," Scott Steiner, and current WCW World Heavyweight Champion Booker T. As Austin and Rock are both beating into unconsciousness, the WCW wrestlers hoist up Shane McMahon into the ring, who takes the WWF Championship and spits on it before dumping it at his feet, moving up the ramp to join his, as JR puts it, "Four Horsemen of WWF's Apocalypse," before Mania goes off the air.

______

The Raw after Mania opens with Glass Shattering, as WWF Champion Steve Austin demands answers about Shane and WCW, and is immediately joined by The Rock, who wants the same. Vince has not been seen all day, leaving it to WWF Commissioner William Regal to assure the WWF staff and fans that the WCW contracted wrestlers acted of their own accord, and legal action IS underway. Austin says this isn't good enough, and demands the chance to settle things in the ring, but Regal says that WCW does not work for him, they work for Shane, and are not permitted to compete in WWF. This leads Rock to get a funny look on his face, and he asks Regal, "Hey, didn't YOU used to be a WCW wrestler? Why in the blue hell should I trust anything you say?" He Rock Bottoms Regal, and Austin joins in with a Stunner, and swears to raise hell until he can stomp a mudhole in every single WCW sumbitch who jumped him, and that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold Said So.

The cloud of WCW hangs over the rest of the opening hour, for heels and faces alike. Vignettes show The Big Show and IC Champ Chris Jericho facing anger and suspicion from their fellow superstars for being ex-WCW. The Radicalz seem to be in a near panic over possible retaliation from their former co-workers for jumping ship to WWF the prior year. Triple H corners X-pac and demands to know where "Scott and Kev," are in this whole mess, and he swears not to know a thing, leading Hunter to drop a veiled threat of coming for Pac if he even sees the tiniest glimpse of guys in Black and White. One notable match in the first hour is a hardcore title wrestlemania rematch between Raven and Big Show(who won the belt in this version). After Show retains the belt, Raven cuts an in-ring promo, sitting down in the corner of the ring, and talks about how he was once in WCW, and cryptically says that now that WCW is here, he knows how WWF will end: in blood and fire. An end that is closer than anyone knows.

The second hour begins with Right to Censor coming out en-masse, with Stevie Richards ready to cut a promo... only to have the entire stable be decimated halfway down the ramp by Rock and Austin. They occupy the ring and demand WCW show themselves or Raw would not go forward. They drink beers, sing songs, and crush any jobber who tries to interrupt them, until they are interrupted by much bigger guns: Kane and The Undertaker, the Brothers of Destruction. The situation seems explosive... until the Deadman asks Stone Cold for a beer, and similarly demands WCW show their faces before Raw be allowed to continue! Linda finally appears on the Titantron, and says the Shane and WCW have agreed to appear in the ring tonight, in the Main Event slot, as long as no WWF wrestler interferes with their public statement.

Shane and his "Four Horsemen," appear at the end of the night, surrounded by a huge escort of private security, "reminiscent of another top WCW star's signature entrance." Shane, Flair, Booker, Steiner and DDP all get their say, basically saying that last night was about nothing more than sending a message that WCW is the best and will rise again to television dominance under Shane's leadership. There is no conspiracy, former WCW wrestlers on the WWF roster are not waiting to turn on the company, and there is NO invasion, with Flair going out of his way to promise on his honor that these men are not "The Four Horsemen of WWF's Apocalypse," and he of all people would sure as hell know if they were. Once they're done, Austin, Rock and the Brothers hit the ramp, and make it clear that they don't give a drat whether there's an invasion or not, because for what they did last night there was drat sure going to be some BACKLASH! The four WWF wrestlers then fight there way past the police line and hit the ring, brawling hard with WCW's four men... until the lights go black. There is silence until an eerie violin begins to play, and a spotlight shines on the rafters. Sting sits high above the arena, looking down on WWF for the first time. The lights go back up... and all four WCW men are armed with steal chairs, battering the four WWF men mercilessly until they are helpless, then hitting them with Diamond Cutters, Book Ends, Figure Fours and Steiner Recliners. The WWF Locker Room empties to try and back their side up, but the security have recovered and are holding them back en masse as Sting descends, baseball bat in hand. The WCW stars dump their WWF competitors out of the ring... except for The Rock, who's ankles and wrists they tie up in all four steel chairs. "You know how I said there was no Four Horsemen here to kill WWF, Rocky? That's because THE STINGER! MAKES! FIVE! WOOOOOOO!" Sting then swings his bat, slamming all four of Rock's trapped limbs with sickening metal-on-metal bangs, presumably breaking both ankles and both wrists, crucifying The People's Champion. Raw goes off the air with Sting's music blaring.

-----

Over the next three months to the InVasion Pay Per View, tension builds as WCW's wrestlers continually interfere with day by day affairs. Lower card WCW wrestlers hang around arenas, jumping wrestlers outside and vandalizing trucks and rental cars. The Big 5 and Shane continue to hold press conferences about WCW's immanent relaunch and promises to kill WWF like Ted Turner never could, which "journalistic integrity," demands JR and the rest of the broadcast crew show the audience despite their distaste.

With The Rock injured and Mr. McMahon still MIA, Backlash focuses on the theme of mistrust in the locker room, with The Brothers feuding with The Radicalz and Kurt Angle feuding with Jericho, showing both the heel and face side of distrust of Ex-WCW Wrestlers, while Austin handles a challenge from Triple H, who beat him in 3 Stages Of Hell right before Wrestlemania, despite the distraction of WCW keeping him from putting his full attention on his opponent. This raises Triple H's ire as he casts the bout as the match to determine which man is the right man to lead WWF if was with WCW should come to their shores.

____

Judgment Day builds up with Sting reappearing, silently costing Austin a pinfall to Kurt Angle when he appears watching from the rafters as a distraction, triggering a Champ vs Champ match at the PPV where again Angle crusades against "the invaders within," this time targeting Austin for being a former WCW wrestler himself. The WCW Top Guys appear in the front row the following week, and Austin immediately jumps them, causing him to be slapped with a restraining order which will cause him to forfeit the title to Angle if he lays a hand on any WCW wrestler.... which the following week leads Sting to drop from the rafters and deliver his famous "test," handing Austin a baseball bat and turning his back to him. Austin tears around the ring, slamming the bat into every ringpost and ripping up the announce table... but does not strike Sting. Elsewhere on the card, Raven has been skulking around the locker room since Mania, having secret meetings with certain Superstars: Rhyno, Perry Saturn, Tazz and Justin Credible all find their way into dark corners with Raven, and find themselves winning matches after talking to him. Taker and Kane want to know why, and both challenge him to matches hoping to beat the info out of him... and in both matches he sits down in a corner and demands the ref 10-count him out before walking away. Raven says he will reveal what he knows only if Taker and Kane can win the Tag Team Championships from the Dudley Boyz... in a Tables match. The match is brutal as Raven sits at ringside, but the Dudley's eke out an unexpected victory against the odds by using Kane's own strength against him, countering an over-strength Last Ride Powerbomb that throws D-Von PAST the set-up table into a surprise 3-D. Raven leaves Taker to tend to his brother without saying a word. Chris Jericho and Triple H recover some momentum from recent losses with short-term feuds, but find some common group through the help of Mick Foley by laying out their mutual distaste for WCW, exploring the many reasons Jericho jumped ship at WCW's peak and talking about how he really believed in WWF and what he could make of himself here, while Triple H brings up how he wrestled a single match there as "Terra Ryzing," before realizing anyone who would work there willingly was poison for the industry, even his best friends. This lays the groundwork for what is to come.

____

The King of the Ring sees the cold war heat up, as Austin participates in the tournament rather than defend his title this month. With the Champion in the tournament, the biggest names in the company see the opportunity to secure a future title shot by beating him, and join in as well, putting focus on the tournament not seen in years. Meanwhile, in the undercard, Raven's friends quietly secure the European, Light-Heavyweight and Hardcore Championships, while Raven himself joins in the KOTR tournament despite the steep competition. The Undertaker and Kane, still desperate to find out what Raven knows about WCW's plans, are given a new challenge: capture the Tag Titles in a four-way TLC Match against the Dudleys, Hardys AND Edge and Christian. Only Michael Cole questions WHY the Dudleys would accept that match at Raven's request, and he is quickly silenced. The Top 8 on the go-home Raw sees Triple H, Austin, Jericho and Angle pitted against Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Rhyno and Raven in what seems like an insanely lopsided bracket. The matches (who's order is determined by random lots) see Austin nearly knocked out of the running when Sting again distracts him by watching from the rafters throughout his match with Eddie, Benoit takes Hunter to the absolute limit through pure wrestling skill, and Rhyno pulls off a huge upset over Angle when Ric Flair and the rest of the WCW crew enter the arena and take Front Row seats, distracting the pro-WWF zealot long enough for a HUGE Gore. The oddball Main Event of Jericho vs Raven is tense as Jericho tries to wrestle despite open heckling and a few tense confrontations with the WCW guys, and when the referee takes a bump its suddenly utter bedlam as WCW's crew jumps the guardrail! They attack Jericho like a pack of wolves, and it takes nearly a minutes for security, Austin, Triple H and the Brothers of Destruction to storm out in force. The brawl is massive, and WCW is quickly on the run, with the Main Eventers chasing them out of the arena... but there is still a match in the ring, and Raven, who has sat quietly in his corner through all of this, picks up the mess that is Jericho and hits the Raven Effect DDT. The ref reluctantly counts 3, ending the night with Raven advancing to the Semi-finals as the titantron cuts to the WCW guys piling into a limo and escaping Austin and Co.

KOTR itself is tense, as Austin faces Triple H in a war of a semi-final, and Raven faces Rhyno... and defeats him in mere seconds when he sits in his corner, goads Rhyno into Goreing him, and dodges out of the way, rolling his opponent up off a possible dislocated shoulder. The Brothers of Destruction finally secure the Tag Titles in TLC, and when they confront Raven backstage he tells them he will expose WCW's plans before the night is over. After a few more undercard matches (all title retention by Raven's friends Cole notes) and a Fatal 4way between Kurt Angle, Jericho, Benoit and Eddie where Jericho regains the IC title, the Main Event of Raven vs Austin for the King of the Ring crown is on... and when the bell rings Raven sits in his corner. WCW's entire locker room begins streaming in, with the top guys each leading a pack of men, and security gets shitcanned as they surround the ring like lumberjacks. Austin tries to look in every direction at once until Sting's music plays, and he rises from a trap-door built into the entrance ramp. Austin rolls out and gets right in Sting's face, telling him that this is the night they settle things and he'd fight the whole drat WCW locker room alone if he had to... while Raven instructs the referee to start the 10 Count. He does, and Jim Ross wonders what the hell the official could be thinking counting under these circumstances... until he recognizes former WCW referee Nick Patrick, hired just a few weeks before the company went out of business. The WCW army forms up between Austin and the Ring, and the Rattlesnake charges into them like a freight train, throwing men out of his way, desperately clawing for the apron.... but can't even lay a finger on the ring before the referee hits 10. He orders the bell rung, and on the Titantron the smirking face of Shane McMahon appears: "Ladies and Gentlemen, your new WWF King of the Ring: World Championship Wrestling's own, Raven."

____

The following night Vince returns, and declares open war over this outrage, FIIIIIIIRES Raven and Patrick, and unifies the WWF locker room behind Austin in a huge face turn, setting up the InVasion Pay Per View. WCW agrees to the interpromotional contest on one condition: Austin will put the WWF Championship on the line against Sting. Steiner faces Kane, Jericho faces DDP, Triple H squares off with Booker T, and Ric Flair personally requests to face The Undertaker. Booker and Steiner cheat to pull out victories in otherwise even contests, while Flair loses to Taker but makes it a Pyrrhic victory by stress-fracturing the Deadman's hand. Sting and Austin's bout sees the unthinkable come true when Shane McMahon helps his top gun screw Austin, and they walk out with the championship under WCW control.

The second half of the storyline sees Shane leverage his control of the WWE Championship with the Board, going over Vince's head to secure concessions. All WCW wrestlers are contracted with WWF. Raven is rehired and rewarded for his part by the resurrection of ECW, and the reveal that all his ex-ECW friends (including Rhyno, who faked the whole thing) who'd won the undercard titles were in on it with him to see their Tribe of Extreme risen and Paul Heyman back in the halls of power, and Tommy Dreamer, Rob Van Dam and Sandman join their ranks. Taker and Kane fight off a horde of Tag Team Challengers to keep the titles in WWF hands while Jericho is similarly targeted by the ECW faction looking to secure the IC belt. Triple H feuds with Sting, nearly reclaiming the belt but for the betrayal of Kurt Angle, who joins the Alliance (its always the Zealots...), and Austin also fails in his rematch. All hope seems lost until Survivor Series approaches... and The Rock returns. The Rock faces Sting in the Main Event, as Jericho and Raven settle the IC title, and Teams from ECW and WCW each take on groups of WWF wrestlers with every eliminated man being fired (to OVW until needed for some storyline), and WWF emerges mostly victorious, including reclaiming the Main Belt. WCW's only balm is Booker and Steiner retaining the WCW and US titles. This leads to Shane's act of desperation: he calls in the NWO as the build to Mania 18 and Icon vs Icon FOR THE BELT AS IT SHOULD BE looms on the horizon.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gavok posted:

Does that work?

That was brilliant - nice work.

The Goldust question made me wonder if there was ever a way to make a superstar out of Dustin Rhodes, or did he just not have the "it" factor without the makeup? What I came up with was the following (still trying to get him to world title contendership in 1999):

- At the start of the year, in a surprising return to the WWF, Dusty Rhodes admonishes the recently reborn Goldust for being an embarrassment to the family and asks why he can't be more like that good ole' boy Steve Austin, a true Texan. Goldust is shaken by his father's speech but doesn't immediately respond.

- Goldust attacks Austin during the Royal Rumble but is quickly dumped out in short order. Following the PPV, Goldust mostly disappears, but is seen in glimpses in the background, with ever-diminishing makeup.

- Just prior to Wrestlemania, Goldust returns with half his face in makeup and half uncovered, and challenges Austin to a match on the grandest stage, but is laughed off, treated like a joke. Austin says he's got bigger fish to fry and tells Goldustin to prove himself before trying to take on the rattlesnake.

- Goldust then picks a fight with the World's Most Dangerous Man Ken Shamrock, who whips him from pillar to post, but his never-say-die attitude does enough to earn him a spot in the Intercontinental title four-way at Wrestlemania, which he goes on to win (as Dustin Rhodes) with outside interference from Dan Severn, Barry Windham and Bradshaw.

- Together with his new posse, the "Good Ole Boys", his father as his manager and his new IC championship, Rhodes runs roughshod through the midcard, gradually adopting the mannerisms and look of Stone Cold along the way. He starts challenging other wrestlers to traditional Southern-style gimmick brawls (Dog Collar matches, etc.) where he ramps up the violence but always relies on his cohort to get him out of trouble at the last minute.

- The GOB posse start mocking Austin more openly while it seems like he's otherwise occupied in the main event, but at the Raw after SummerSlam he surprises them when they're in the ring and stunners all except Rhodes, who quickly shoots under the ring when Austin appears. He then re-emerges to knock Stone Cold out with a steel chair and almost delivers a piledriver to Austin on the chair, on his surgically-fused neck, but has second thoughts when a bunch of officials and other wrestlers come out on the stage to talk him out of it.

- But the piledriver fake-out is itself a fake-out! The GOB posse regroup and block everyone else from entering the ring, while Rhodes delivers a brutal piledriver to Austin, ramming his neck onto the steel chair. Austin is stretchered out and the GOB faction are escorted from the building by security.

- Rhodes goes on to insert himself into the main event program against Mankind as a replacement for Austin, arguing that he only did what Austin told him to do, prove himself and take out the rattlesnake. (Triple H doesn't win the title in this timeline). Foley puts Rhodes over as only Foley can, in a violent steel cage match for the world title.

- Austin returns and the grudge match for the title is set for Survivor Series in a Texas Death Match, and in the buildup Austin takes out each member of Rhodes' posse one-by-one until he evens the odds for the big PPV, and seals his victory following a bloody arena-wide brawl that ends with him throwing Rhodes off the ramp and into some electrical equipment that is gimmicked to explode on impact (this eventually paves the way for Rhodes' return as Goldust as he suffers another personality shift from his injuries).

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Rebook the DDP Stalker angle.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Writer Cath posted:

DDP wins the match. Done.

Seriously, his reveal as The Stalker got a big pop and his explanation that the whole thing was a mind game to goad Taker into a match while emotionally unsettling the emotionally un-unsettleable to make sure he would win it worked fine. He just needed to not get buried in the match that followed.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Here's a request that I'll leave pretty open ended:

Book CM Punk from the aftermath of MITB 2011 where "leaves" the WWE with the title until the point where he loses it.

I'm sure most of us can think of the obvious stuff like keeping him off WWE T.V. longer, having him pop up at other promotions, and keeping HHH out of his story in the short-term (and using him better if he does get involved), but I'm curious about what ideas people would have along the way, or what spins they can come up with.

One loose idea I have off the top of my head is just completely leaning in to making him the next Steve Austin and having him actually come back almost immediately (ignoring any inclinations Punk may have had at the time to get some blessed time off) because Vince offered too much money for even him to refuse, and that he's now the highest paid Wrestler in history with no one else even close and he can say whatever he wants. If you really want to sell it, have him on the mic telling everyone he can say whatever he loving wants (or something else that's definitely not pg but doesn't quite offend the parents of those poor innocent children in the crowd), and you bleep the hell out of it on the broadcast (and for a bit of extra safety you do it on a PPV promo so you don't necessarily freak out the network) but then Punk points out that hey, this mic's still live baby I'm untouchable! You only do it once, but you should only have to do it once to convey that now Punk isn't like anyone else on the roster.

Then you get into Vince and HHH always trying to come up with ways to make Punk lose the title or to punish him, but they don't just have the whole locker room kill him or have a fully rigged sham of a title match because they know Punk's the hottest thing in the business, he's their next Steve Austin super cash cow, and even after they get their precious title off him they want him as an attraction, just not as someone who's tarnishing the title's legacy.

From there you can run the Stone Cold playbook pretty effectively, bring in Laurinitis as a GM early and have him against Punk and being humiliated instead of Vince/HHH, build to a Punk/HHH match at Mania, have Punk start turning wrestlers against Vince by doing things like paying for their travel, letting them ride with him on his fancy new bus, kind of using Vince's own money against him in storyline. So Cena's being put up against Punk but can't quite beat him, and he refuses to face him in anything but a straight up match, and now when Laurinitis tries to screw Punk over by sending lots of guys against him out come guys like Kofi, Christian, Daniel Bryan (pre cash-in), hell even the Miz, really anyone who thinks they haven't gotten a fair shake, and Punk's the prophet who has proven that you can stand up to Vince and win.

Anyway, that's my silly idea that just came to me, hoping to hear your better ones! And sorry, I couldn't resist throwing out some booking of my own despite my being the one asking for it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Writer Cath posted:

DDP wins the match, reveals the entire stalking angle was an attempt to play mind games with and take Undertaker off the board during the Invasion. The whole 'make me famous' poo poo was a ruse in order to piss Taker off enough to take his mind off the major storyline and keep him out of it.

DDP not only beats Taker, but kicks his poo poo in so bad that he's 'injured' and goes away for a good portion of the Invasion storyline.

Taker comes back at a climatic moment but he's back to the classic persona.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Competently book The Shockmaster as a monster heel. Assume that the... incident from his debut still happened, and using Super Shockmaster is cheating.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NowonSA posted:

Here's a request that I'll leave pretty open ended:

Book CM Punk from the aftermath of MITB 2011 where "leaves" the WWE with the title until the point where he loses it.

In the TEW game our plan was to have Punk constantly get the better of Vince and HHH so they get desperate and bring back Brock, who was probably going to beat him at WM.

His first "scheduled" appearance was going to be a negotiation with Vince at HiaC in October and his first match would have been at Survivor Series. Though we still kept him as a focus even if he wasn't necessarily around.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Competently book The Shockmaster as a monster heel. Assume that the... incident from his debut still happened, and using Super Shockmaster is cheating.

Shockmaster goes to first match, stumbles to ring and actually fumbles getting into the ring. His opponents laugh at him but then he instantly annihilates them. Basically just play the gently caress ups as attempts to lure his opponents into a false sense of security and then he just dominates them in near squash matches.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

1) Take the stupid glitter stormtrooper helmet off of him.
2) Have him turn against Sting at Wargames. Or after Wargames if you still want Sting's team to win.
3) Have his whole gimmick revolve around Shockmaster going insane and destroying people whom he thinks are laughing at him (which is everybody).
4) Gradually phase that part of the gimmick out and just have him be a monster.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Writer Cath posted:

The stalker was Ric Flair.

Flair didn't have an insane multi-million dollar contract like the other stars left out of the Invasion, they just didn't think he was a wrestler anymore and wanted Shane to be the authority figure. Flair could make aggressively sexual madness work and no one would really mind if he and a flunky got the poo poo beat out of them by The Undertaker. More importantly, it frees Page up to be the other top guy in the main WCW stable instead of trying to give that role to Buff Bagwell or Test. DDP in a hilariously over-rehearsed match against let's say Rey Mysterio gets a very different reaction than Booker vs Bagwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ChrisBTY posted:

1) Take the stupid glitter stormtrooper helmet off of him.
2) Have him turn against Sting at Wargames. Or after Wargames if you still want Sting's team to win.
3) Have his whole gimmick revolve around Shockmaster going insane and destroying people whom he thinks are laughing at him (which is everybody).
4) Gradually phase that part of the gimmick out and just have him be a monster.

Honestly, everything except taking the helmet off him works great.

He needs the helmet or he's not the Shockmaster, he's just Fred Ottman.

e: alternately, have him lose the helmet in a lucha de apuestas match.

• Locked thread