Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's more because the BGM has to be capable of (theoretically) looping indefinitely to cover the full 5 minutes of a Ranked match plus indeterminate overtime.

That said, I also agree the new bands need their own versions of Now or Never.

Well then each loop should last 2 minutes, not 1:47 or something. :colbert:

That's also the only thing that tempers my looking forward to the soundtrack-- if it's all designed to loop forever, do they just kind of fade out all the tracks mid-song? I forget how the first soundtrack did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
If there's a clutchier, luckier Salmon Run final round, then I wanna see it too. :3:

http://twitter.com/HPGrenade/status/934880802717908992

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

H.P. Grenade posted:

If there's a clutchier, luckier Salmon Run final round, then I wanna see it too. :3:

http://twitter.com/HPGrenade/status/934880802717908992

Leaf Lock fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 8, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

H.P. Grenade posted:

https://twitter.com/nephzinho/status/933376778231455744

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

In S+ Splat Zones, all three of my teammates and one enemy disconnected at the same time. We were winning. When I lost from being alone, I got a crack. Like the game just decided, well they had a disconnect too, you should've just won 1v3!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flowers posted:

In S+ Splat Zones, all three of my teammates and one enemy disconnected at the same time. We were winning. When I lost from being alone, I got a crack. Like the game just decided, well they had a disconnect too, you should've just won 1v3!

A couple days ago two of my teammates and all of my opponents disconnected. My last remaining teammate and I just ran around covering everything in ink and spamming Booyah until we got the KO

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Glad to see Splatoon disconnects are alive and well. Everybody except me and one other guy disconnected, and we basically just 1v1’d.

Is that on Nintendo or individuals or a little of both?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FartingBedpost posted:

Glad to see Splatoon disconnects are alive and well. Everybody except me and one other guy disconnected, and we basically just 1v1’d.

Is that on Nintendo or individuals or a little of both?

Both. The network is peer to peer, but the netcode in general is worse than Splatoon 1's.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

It’s unfortunate, because this game is fun, but three games in a row where I’m one of two-three people finishing really blows.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Flowers posted:

I think if the disconnect isnt in the first 30 seconds the game gets counted as a "real" game no matter what. ive had a bar broken by losses with a DC on my team.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I thought most of my connection issues were on my end. I mean they probably are, but still...

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

FartingBedpost posted:

It’s unfortunate, because this game is fun, but three games in a row where I’m one of two-three people finishing really blows.

I love everything about this game, but the drat netcode has me considering quitting ranked.

Ranked down again to S+0 on rainmaker after two losses (two cracks). The first game, we had a guy just sitting in spawn, the second game, everyone just dies and the rainmaker gets dunked in 30 seconds after...

- I notice some guy trying to flank.

- I see the rainmaker coming up the right, but my team is spawning and heading towards the rainmaker, I turn my attention to flanker.

- After a protracted gunfight I kill him, turn around, my entire team is dead and the rainmaker is dunked again.

It's a lose lose situation most of the drat time.

You grab the rainmaker to try to move it, and everyone scatters. Nobody paints, and you trade with douche running ninja squid + hero roller #371.

You kill guys and clear a path, but nobody does the objective. In several of the matches leading up to being ranked down, I switched to luna and did some flanking work. I killed two guys, traded with the last, look at the map and people playing turf war.

Then you have the guys with splattershots strafing as fast as your nzap with no run speed up equipment because the game's net play is garbage, then sometimes you do something incredibly stupid and come out on top because who the gently caress knows. I said this about Splatoon 1 and I'll say it again about this game, but the feeling of doing well is hampered by suspicions that you only did well because you're warping or just absorbing bullets on the other player's screen.

At any rate, here's a clip so this post isn't just me venting my frustrations with this game.

https://twitter.com/LogothX/status/934961975498379264

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 27, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Waffleman_/status/934965138184011777

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

H.P. Grenade posted:

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/934616495023202304?s=17

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

The Switch's wifi is so bad it can't reliably handle local wireless with other systems that are feet away without dropping. Wireless connections are a plague on this game more so than in Splatoon 1.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played wired.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't really had any major problems on my end using wifi.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Leaf Lock posted:

The Switch's wifi is so bad it can't reliably handle local wireless with other systems that are feet away without dropping. Wireless connections are a plague on this game more so than in Splatoon 1.

Oh yeah, you're right. The fact that the switch is wifi by default and people have to buy an adapter just to play wired must hurt the average game quality a shitload. It's rumored that the worse your connection is, the more the game favors your console's version of the events. Maybe I should just unplug my wired adapter and go full wifi and see what happens.

The fact that even LAN is screw would explain some of the weirdness I saw during a splatoon 2 tournament I watched a few weeks ago. (People dying to baller who were well out of range)

quote:

I haven't really had any major problems on my end using wifi.

It's not super noticeable at first, but the more you play the more you realize something is wrong. When you're playing the game at anything even resembling a high level, dying to people before they appear on your screen becomes an infuriatingly frequent occurrence. You die quick, so those moments where the game barfs all over itself can mean the difference between winning a fight and losing.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 27, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Night Blade posted:

Oh yeah, you're right. The fact that the switch is wifi by default and people have to buy an adapter just to play wired must hurt the average game quality a shitload. It's rumored that the worse your connection is, the more the game favors your console's version of the events. Maybe I should just unplug my wired adapter and go full wifi and see what happens.

I can tell you a secret: the vast majority of people use wifi for game consoles, even on consoles that have ethernet built in, because wifi is ubiquitous and it's easier to just connect to wifi.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I've played on wifi plenty and the only time it was a regular problem was trying to play via cell on a moving train. Otherwise I'd say disconnects are very uncommon.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

Night Blade posted:

The fact that even LAN is screw would explain some of the weirdness I saw during a splatoon 2 tournament I watched a few weeks ago. (People dying to baller who were well out of range)

I'm mainly talking about disconnects and not general lagginess. Every time I've seen a group of people trying to play local salmon run wirelessly, they can't do it. It will randomly drop connection making it unplayable. If that's endemic of the Switch hardware then it completely ruins the vision of the device as a go anywhere LAN machine that it was originally marketed as.

I do wonder if the tick-rate is increased if you're playing all wired LAN. Probably not because that would be good and stuff.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Leaf Lock posted:

I'm mainly talking about disconnects and not general lagginess. Every time I've seen a group of people trying to play local salmon run wirelessly, they can't do it. It will randomly drop connection making it unplayable. If that's endemic of the Switch hardware then it completely ruins the vision of the device as a go anywhere LAN machine that it was originally marketed as.

I do wonder if the tick-rate is increased if you're playing all wired LAN. Probably not because that would be good and stuff.

This is pretty disappointing ,as someone who tried to get six Wii U consoles all playing a "local" game of Splatoon and failing apparently because we only had three Ethernet adapters in the mix. Figured they’d have that poo poo sorted for the ostensibly handheld Switch.

Like just tell us what the supported configurations are. Can only play local multiplayer when you’re all on wired? Fine, just say that so I don’t waste my time.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

I can tell you a secret: the vast majority of people use wifi for game consoles, even on consoles that have ethernet built in, because wifi is ubiquitous and it's easier to just connect to wifi.

Yeah, that makes sense.

In this situation, it makes a bad situation worse. It would be nice if we could at least see your opponent's connection quality in bars.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alright, I'm going to try and organize a one off tourney. It will be at 5:00pm CST on Sunday, December 10th. The format will be Turf Wars, best out of three games, between two teams of four player. Get in on this. Even if we get 8 players and you want to volunteer, do so, as a slot might open up. Unsure about your skill level? Join anyway. It's a fun good time.

EDIT: I also need two volunteers to be team captain.

EDIT2: Changed the date to the 10th so as not to step on the toes of the release of XC2.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 27, 2017

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm a bad, but I would like to do this

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bell_ posted:

I'm a bad, but I would like to do this

Only the second part matters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Goldie rounds are super easy and you at most need to open three gushers to find him. The issue is that pubbies will open every gusher. I had one guy going around and open every gusher even after the Goldie was found :psyduck:

This, gushers are consistently one of the easiest nighttime rounds for me, just behind cohocks 'n' cannons. Now grillers, there's a guaranteed shitshow almost every time.

Leaf Lock posted:

I play salmon run with my kids all the time and I never have any connection problems. As a related note, it may be because they're at like level 15, but on the odd occasion when I play turf war with them, I am as a god, annihilating the enemy team several times over and dying maybe once or twice if I get especially stupid and careless. I don't know if that's because the competition is less experienced or that the netcode favors us because we're both connected from the same source.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 27, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

EDIT2: Changed the date to the 10th so as not to step on the toes of the release of XC2.

Sure, I'll join in.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Feast your eyes upon the best charger in the world:

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/934186711948521472?s=17

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

This is me as a charger. I have trouble anticipating where people will be when they are not charger at me. Is there a good beginner charger? I was thinking the squiffer due to the fast charge.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The best chargers I've seen, even when they miss you, they're still loving up in a way that can disrupt your pathing to increase their potential second shot by bogging you down.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

^burtle posted:

The best chargers I've seen, even when they miss you, they're still loving up in a way that can disrupt your pathing to increase their potential second shot by bogging you down.

A good tactic for chargers is to toss your secondary weapon right at your feet before retreating since most players will try to rush and get up close if you miss them.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

jetpackhewy posted:

This is me as a charger. I have trouble anticipating where people will be when they are not charger at me. Is there a good beginner charger? I was thinking the squiffer due to the fast charge.

Splat charger is the best to get started with, and it's also the best overall imo. The firefin variant is ok for turf wars.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
https://twitter.com/g00dguy23/status/935283680364314624

Did I miss something? I could have sworn Splashdown used to revive teammates in Salmon Run. .Maybe the Eel or that drum blocked it?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Goodguy3 posted:

https://twitter.com/g00dguy23/status/935283680364314624

Did I miss something? I could have sworn Splashdown used to revive teammates in Salmon Run. .Maybe the Eel or that drum blocked it?

Eel can block it, partly what makes them such a nightmare when two show up and start wrapping around and protecting each other from literally everything.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

That was definitely the Eel blocking it both times.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Alright, I'm going to try and organize a one off tourney. It will be at 5:00pm CST on Sunday, December 10th. The format will be Turf Wars, best out of three games, between two teams of four player. Get in on this. Even if we get 8 players and you want to volunteer, do so, as a slot might open up. Unsure about your skill level? Join anyway. It's a fun good time.

EDIT: I also need two volunteers to be team captain.

Sign me up!

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
Is it just me or something I never noticed before with this SR map but does anyone else hear a jingle or something like that between rounds?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

jetpackhewy posted:

Spend some time learning your control sensitivity in Sheldon's danger room. Practice following the targets. Once you got that down you can practice snapping to them.

Most of getting good with chargers is just practice. Snapping and jump shots, etc. Also, when I want to take someone out I use the terrain as a guide. Having a fixed point of reference is incredibly helpful for targeting squids.

pokeyman posted:

Sign me up!

And pokey makes three. Still 5 slots left folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Drumpf Card posted:

Is it just me or something I never noticed before with this SR map but does anyone else hear a jingle or something like that between rounds?

That's always been there.