Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

gallilee posted:

So I just picked up Kingdom: New Lands for the Switch. There is a great game in there but how the hell do you make money except for the merchant? Seems like I always have to little to get started on the boat.
Also, should you expand your kingdom or just hang tight and upgrade your initial area?

In addition to above, Small non spoilery tips

* Try to map out the area when you first start and don't have much to do anyways. If you find that there are no portals on one side of the map then you are free to totally neglect defensive structures on that side.

* Try letting your horse eat grass.

* If your purse starts overflowing (and it will eventually) you can actually fit more "in" by piling them on top. The coins actually have physics modelling and you can make a pile on top of the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Picked up Horizon Zero Dawn in the Black Friday sale. I know nothing about it other than it has robot dinosaurs and everyone raves about it. Looking forward to going in pretty cold but any general tips or advice?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

baram. posted:

anything important for grandia ii? playing anniversary if that makes a difference.

I do not know if this was changed in the anniversary edition but your party is never yours to choose because its controlled by story. That said, there will come a point very close to the end of the game where a party member will be lost to you forever. If you search the zone after that cutscene when you regain control there is an item that refunds you all the points you invested in them.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Was going to post that Grandia II tip almost to the letter, so here's a summary:

1) Level up those cancel skills as first priority. Level 5 is literally one tick, so it's very rare to ever be beaten by an enemy, and you can even end up cancel-juggling bosses for many turns.
2) Your healer has an AoE sleep ability that is effective for almost all of the game, so if she's not canceling, sleep is usually a solid standby.
3) One character has a rage ability. It is timed to go off during boss battles but this is not guaranteed, so don't fret too much.
4) There is only area in the whole game where I really felt I wanted to power-level. When you get off on an island and there's a rocky area at the end, for some reason I found it easy to end up under-leveled there. It's not like a legendarily hard battle, but that's the one time I'd advise racking up some extra levels preemptively.

quote:

Pokemon Sun/Moon
The biggest difference is that the game throws pokemon at you, and you can change between pokemon you find freely.

When you equip the new Exp Share, it will boost your overall XP gained such that absolutely any Pokemon you have in your party, even new Pokemon you pick up in the wild, will level up sufficiently to be competitive. You can switch in found pokemon and wild pokemon pretty much at will, anytime, without negatives.

The game hands you Pokemon for literally everything. Z-moves? You get a pokemon with one and its gem. Ultra evolution? You get an ultra evolver already equipped. Need a water type? You're handed a Lapras. Don't bother searching for a pokemon to fill a role, or leveling a pokemon for an upcoming role, until you're in the area and sure you won't be handed one.

You can even catch decent pokemon that cover all the bases (fire/water/grass/electric) in the first forest area. So all your bases will be covered before you've even really started the game, if you hunt around a bit.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Return it. It's the only game I've preordered as an adult, I bought every DLC there was for the entire original trilogy, and I got two achievements into this game and deleted it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Return it. It's the only game I've preordered as an adult, I bought every DLC there was for the entire original trilogy, and I got two achievements into this game and deleted it.

I got it on xbox live for like :10bux:. I'm a number of hours into it and I don't understand everyone's issue with it tbh. It's no ME2, but it isn't some steaming trash heap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I got it on xbox live for like :10bux:. I'm a number of hours into it and I don't understand everyone's issue with it tbh. It's no ME2, but it isn't some steaming trash heap.

I got it from EA Vault and yeah. Its unfocused and the plot is seemingly designed around keeping you as uninvested as possible after an initial intriguing setup but it all works fine enough. If you liked ME1-3 there really isnt a reason you should dislike it unless youre specifically looking for a taut narrative

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Barudak posted:

I got it from EA Vault and yeah. Its unfocused and the plot is seemingly designed around keeping you as uninvested as possible after an initial intriguing setup but it all works fine enough. If you liked ME1-3 there really isnt a reason you should dislike it unless youre specifically looking for a taut narrative

The developers have made updates which caused the game to crash for a large number of users.

There are non-trivial reasons to say this is a bargain bin title at best, and hold on to your receipt.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

revwinnebago posted:

The developers have made updates which caused the game to crash for a large number of users.

There are non-trivial reasons to say this is a bargain bin title at best, and hold on to your receipt.

Where do you live that you can return open video games?

I asked for things to know before I played, not hot takes concerning vague issues with the game. I have Gamespot if I want bad game reviews tia

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Every squadmate is worse than any squadmate that has ever been in a mass effect game and the plot is hot garbage. It isn't the studio who created the original trilogy, this studio had ported one game before being tasked with making this game. In the five years it took to make it, they squandered the majority of their time and money trying to make a galactic procedurally generated game of some sort but had to scrap nearly everything and start over late in the development process.

By the time I was talking to important characters who made 4th-wall breaking jokes about how badly their faces are animated, and being sent on some ponderously tedious fetch quests duller than ditch water, and I was dreading just about anyone actually talking to me, it was clear to me I'd be better served keeping good memories of the original than forging ahead into an experience I was detesting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

Picked up Horizon Zero Dawn in the Black Friday sale. I know nothing about it other than it has robot dinosaurs and everyone raves about it. Looking forward to going in pretty cold but any general tips or advice?
The tips on the wiki are pretty solid. One thing that's kinda hard to pick up on is how states work.

Some ammo can put enemies into certain states, like fire arrows can set an enemy on fire. Each hit you land on an enemy fills up a little circle over their head, and only when that is full will they actually be on fire, at which point the circle turns into a countdown timer for how much longer they'll continue to burn. States are also really useful so definitely check out what your enemies are weak against and put that effect on them.

The game tells you what each kind of loot can be used for and some stuff is only good for selling. When it says trading, that means that item is at some point required to get new equipment from a merchant. Sell your loot, but maybe keep one of each heart and lens until you get a grip on keeping track of what you will and won't still need. Making jobs for items puts quests for required components in your errand list and is handier than it sounds.

Equipment I got next to no use out of were traps and most outfits but your mileage may vary.

Don't frontload the sidequests, the point of no return comes late, is clearly signposted, and if you've already done all the sidequests the last few main missions can get a bit samey. Take it easy and do whatever you feel like.

Oh, and look at the bottom of mid-game merchants' ressources list for a very handy and very cheap piece of kit.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

Every squadmate is worse than any squadmate that has ever been in a mass effect game and the plot is hot garbage. It isn't the studio who created the original trilogy, this studio had ported one game before being tasked with making this game. In the five years it took to make it, they squandered the majority of their time and money trying to make a galactic procedurally generated game of some sort but had to scrap nearly everything and start over late in the development process.

By the time I was talking to important characters who made 4th-wall breaking jokes about how badly their faces are animated, and being sent on some ponderously tedious fetch quests duller than ditch water, and I was dreading just about anyone actually talking to me, it was clear to me I'd be better served keeping good memories of the original than forging ahead into an experience I was detesting.

Noted. Thanks for continuing the derail.

Another game I would like tips for: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. played Human Revolution through twice.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Playing on console probably alleviates some of the major issues. It was definitely an unmitigated poo poo-heap on PC though.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kenny Logins posted:

A few things for Assassin's Creed: Origins:
  • The game drops you in media res for an opening act/tutorial that lasts about 5 hours. If things don't make a ton of sense yet, give it a little more time.
  • You can set your mount to autopilot and scout ahead with your eagle while still making progress on the road. Most useful for spotting hunting opportunities en route to a distant target.
  • Horses are just slightly faster than camels but not much. Chariots/carts are fast and fun but they don't play nice with pedestrians/fellow travellers, and will start conflicts with soldiers.
  • You can upgrade weapons to be useful at your current level. Accordingly, never sell/disassemble yellow (legendary) weapons/shields.
  • Unfortunately, upgrading weapons is expensive and money is tighter in this game than others in the series. Pick two melee weapon categories you like and two bows categories you like to keep reasonably upgraded (or else to keep the level-appropriate weapons you'll be finding). Choosing a melee weapon with reach is handy for fighting/hunting on horseback and fighting mounted foes.
  • On that tip, the skills to equip a second bow and a second melee weapon are extremely good quality-of-life improvements.
  • Until you've upgraded most of your upgradeables, do not sell but only disassemble blue/purple weapons/shields. Wood, bronze and iron are difficult to effectively hunt for until mid-game, so disassembly will be your best source for those.
  • The game waits a while to give you certain loading screen tips. One important one they sleep on is to push the left stick in (or equivalent on pc) on the main gear screen to get a legend of all the different weapon attributes (like 'stealth damage', etc).
  • Generally, most of the inner ring 1 ability point skills are worth taking. Also, combat in this game is more in-depth so overpower skills are useful to prioritize to make it more fun.
  • XP bonus skills are very small awards and this game is full of sidequests with substantial XP rewards which will be your main way to level. Don't bother with XP bonuses unless it's on the way to another skill you want.
  • The improved predator bow upgrade is fun as gently caress and let you curve around obstacles in many situations to do one hit ranged kills; worth getting early but it only has an effective range of 70m max.
  • Tool skills aren't as useful as they used to be as they generally only work on enemies lower level than you and berserk is no longer ranged. Fire bombs are handy for keeping foes at bay while sailing, sleep darts are as useful as ever, and smoke bombs (with damage/knockdown upgrade) remain helpful, to give you options.

Do you ever get a minimap? I'm having a lot of trouble seeing bad guys when I'm murdering my way through temples and outposts, and Senu isn't the easiest thing to spot guys with, yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Another game I would like tips for: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. played Human Revolution through twice.

Using the map is hugely important because the entire city is a rat's nest. The levels aren't as well designed as the previous one's, so don't feel bad if you have to break with your stealth run and just gun dudes down.

There aren't really any locked off areas once you are in a zone, so if you want to rob the bank immediately you can at least try it.

Also always get on the train car for non augmented people because it's funny.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

The tips on the wiki are pretty solid. One thing that's kinda hard to pick up on is how states work.

Some ammo can put enemies into certain states, like fire arrows can set an enemy on fire. Each hit you land on an enemy fills up a little circle over their head, and only when that is full will they actually be on fire, at which point the circle turns into a countdown timer for how much longer they'll continue to burn. States are also really useful so definitely check out what your enemies are weak against and put that effect on them.

The game tells you what each kind of loot can be used for and some stuff is only good for selling. When it says trading, that means that item is at some point required to get new equipment from a merchant. Sell your loot, but maybe keep one of each heart and lens until you get a grip on keeping track of what you will and won't still need. Making jobs for items puts quests for required components in your errand list and is handier than it sounds.

Equipment I got next to no use out of were traps and most outfits but your mileage may vary.

Don't frontload the sidequests, the point of no return comes late, is clearly signposted, and if you've already done all the sidequests the last few main missions can get a bit samey. Take it easy and do whatever you feel like.

Oh, and look at the bottom of mid-game merchants' ressources list for a very handy and very cheap piece of kit.

To clarify a bit on weapons, once you get the purple quality weapon of a type, you're done unless you want to do the hunting lodge side quests. You can get those weapons very, very early in the game. All they really do is open up more ammo types.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kruller posted:

Do you ever get a minimap? I'm having a lot of trouble seeing bad guys when I'm murdering my way through temples and outposts, and Senu isn't the easiest thing to spot guys with, yet.
Nope. Intentional design decision against having one, or having eagle sense/vision that highlights baddies automatically.

You need to get good with Senu, but after you have the predator bow it helps for on-the-ground sniper-scouting too.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I"m sorry two posts in a thread that gets 20 posts a day got your panties caught up in a huge wad. I hope you are able to recover and continue posting normally.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

I"m sorry two posts in a thread that gets 20 posts a day got your panties caught up in a huge wad. I hope you are able to recover and continue posting normally.

You're the guy tripping over himself to pound out a meltdown about why you hate a game, when nobody cares or asked for it. I already moved on from it, you should do the same my dude.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Using the map is hugely important because the entire city is a rat's nest. The levels aren't as well designed as the previous one's, so don't feel bad if you have to break with your stealth run and just gun dudes down.

There aren't really any locked off areas once you are in a zone, so if you want to rob the bank immediately you can at least try it.

Also always get on the train car for non augmented people because it's funny.

Are there any trap augs to avoid, major choices that give way better rewards or plot development, etc?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 27, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

You need a pretty good video card.

Do every side quest. If you don't, the game is terribly short.

Takedowns are your friend. Regardless of whether you are playing a sneaky or a shooty playstyle, you should be doing takedowns all day long. Unless you're roleplaying a psycho killer, there is no advantage to doing a lethal takedown, ever.

The stungun is a silent one-shot knockout, but the range is woefully short. If you add a laser, you will only see the dot if you are within range.

EMP weapons stun robots et al but do not damage them.

Trying to do a takedown on a robo-suit guy will kill you, unless you EMP them first.

Unlike DXHR, there are very few lovely augs. I personally can't think of a use for mark 'n' track, and I never used hacking: fortify, but everything else is good.

Remote hacking is awesome, and Typhoon makes a great panic button (remember to buy ammo). +Max health and dermal armor are also good. Also Icarus landing, because the game is realistic about falling damage: a drop of more than one story will kill you without this.

Generally you can (and should) pick up anything that's not nailed down. There are a few exceptions: for example, the arms dealer in your apartment will get angry if you pick up the beer on the counter. You can also hack and steal like crazy in TF29 headquarters and no one cares.

The shotgun is great, everything except the pistol and machine pistol is good. Remember to use AP ammo against armored dudes.

When you're in The Throat, MANUALLY save often. It is possible for you to slip and fall, and pass through an autosave volume on the way down, causing you to fall and die again when you load the autosave.

Against the final boss, Stun with EMP, then takedown..

Easter Egg: click the cereal box in your apartment after at least halfway through the plot.

Don't get too attached to the storyline. Squeenix has decreed that there will be no more Deus Ex releases.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 27, 2017

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Where do you live that you can return open video games?

I asked for things to know before I played, not hot takes concerning vague issues with the game. I have Gamespot if I want bad game reviews tia

Choose 1:

a) Turn the autism knob down. For any other Vulcans who might be confused, "Hold on to your receipt" is a generic metaphor that the consumer should be wary.

b) Who buys physical games new? Even if you want a physical copy, you can get new games used for $5 off at Gamestop because tons of drug addicts run a deal where they steal the games off the loading dock at Walmart and sell them for cash/credit. The rest of us use services like Steam, which has a refund system that could help anyone who runs ME:A and gets a crash. "Hold on to your receipt" here would be slang for make sure you reserve the option to get the 2-hour refund.

c) Tips to only purchase a game when it's bargain-bin and that it's riddled with game-crashing bugs for many players, are valid things to know before you play. As is the general tip to "do not play this game". Even if you do play the bad game, knowing that lots of people express reservation is a good way to tone down your expectations and not expect AAA quality. A great example might be Alpha Protocol, where game has many glaring flaws that mean I'd never have wanted anyone to pay $60 for it new because they'd throw the controller during the dumb opening airport missions. But for a bargain game it's full of amazing promise and well worth playing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

revwinnebago posted:

Turn the autism knob down.

Great idea, you should do that.

I already own the game, got it on the Xbox store for dirt cheap, plan on playing it. Quit being pedantic and making GBS threads the thread up.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Talking bout Mass Effect: Andromeda.

So I got it a while ago and dip in and out. Got a lil past the meet with the "noble savage" Avatar homies. The upgrade and crafting systems are impenetrable. There are 3 places menu consoles to walk to before you can identify a good gun to build, build a good gun, and remember to equip that gun 10 minutes later.

I've built my personal weapons around level 2. You get locked into your upgrade path on guns due to research/resource constraints. Anybody got any words on what builds are decent?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Great idea, you should do that.

I already own the game, got it on the Xbox store for dirt cheap, plan on playing it. Quit being pedantic and making GBS threads the thread up.

you both suck please stop ty

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven’t played the game since they patched in the gun that everyone uses in cutscenes (the ghost) so maybe things have changed but i recall the Valkyrie being a pretty OP weapon, so if you’re gonna dump your mats into improving one gun, that’s a good choice.

Combos were pretty underpowered compared to the state they were in in ME3, so don’t focus on those, unless something got patched.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven’t played the game since they patched in the gun that everyone uses in cutscenes (the ghost) so maybe things have changed but i recall the Valkyrie being a pretty OP weapon, so if you’re gonna dump your mats into improving one gun, that’s a good choice.

Combos were pretty underpowered compared to the state they were in in ME3, so don’t focus on those, unless something got patched.

Are upgrades the main way to increase my power overall, or can I expect to find loot in good supply?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feeeeel like the game drops plenty of loot? And vendors will generally have at-level stuff for you to buy if you’re hurting for an upgrade. The problem is that you can’t control what you find, so you may end up with lots of shotguns and pistols when your build/play style favors assault rifles or Whatever. So doing the crafting thing grants a level of control.

I ended up using cheat engine to give myself infinite credits and crafting mats because I disliked the system so I can’t really give good tips about how to best economize unfortunately

Zushio
May 8, 2008
So for The Witcher: Enhanced Edition anything else besides what is on the wiki?

I keep hearing about a combat rebalance patch? Any advice there?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

The best combo in ME:Andromeda I’ve found is as a Vanguard, and speccing the charge move to refill shields + lance and also ruin or whatever the weird aura one was. I don’t remember.

One-shot huge damage sniper rifles and the N7 sub machine gun are both great. One of the Kett shotguns is a fan favorite but I forget which.

The crafting system is odious but once you get a hang of it, it’s not too bad. The first step is Research where you spend the points you earned by scanning stuff. You spend those points on increasing levels of blueprints; such and such armor or weapon Mk I - X. With those blueprints you’ve unlocked you can build the weapons and armor. You use crafting materials (minerals and whatever) to craft the goods. The plus side to crafting your own stuff is that you can stick on some intrinsic mods that either increase some stats or alter the way the weapon works, like turning bullets into seeking plasma or mini grenades, or giving armor a reactive shocking defense system.

Are upgrades the main way to increase my power overall, or can I expect to find loot in good supply?

Upgrades and skill points in the appropriate category are your bread and butter especially if you’re focusing on gunplay. If you’re focusing on powers then skill points are king; armor and guns are there to carry Tech/Biotic-related mods like cooldown reduction and combo damage.

Loot is pretty plentiful and levels with you, but it’s all unmodded vanilla stuff. To give yourself an edge on loot, take the Andromeda perk that reveals the secret caches. The loot in those is either high quality gear or a lot of crafting material, and worth grabbing.

im cute fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 28, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anything special I need to know for StarCrawlers?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe one more for Horizon: I never used resistance potions much because the interface for selecting them is pretty awful, but whenever I did I found them to be very useful. Might be a habit worth getting into.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My Lovely Horse posted:

Maybe one more for Horizon: I never used resistance potions much because the interface for selecting them is pretty awful, but whenever I did I found them to be very useful. Might be a habit worth getting into.

You can slow time while cycling through potions by pressing L1.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

70 HOURS

MOTHERFUCK

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
More about Horizon Zero Dawn (I haven't played the expansion):

The game has three difficulties, and each one will give you a different feeling: Easy makes you feel insanely powerful and you can easily kill every robot with your normal, Hard makes you feel you are actually hunting giant robo dinosaurs that shoot lasers and that if you do not control every part of the fight and use all your tools and stealth, you're toast. Play the way you want.

The wiki says that you should keep one of every item you find for trading purposes. This is completely wrong and led to a lot of people complaining about inventory juggling in the game thread. What you should do is:

- Sell every white thing besides the first stack (second if you're paranoid). That's enough to craft all the ammo you'll need, forever.
- Sell every green thing unless you need it RIGHT NOW to upgrade something. They are very easy to come by.
- Keep one of the blue things until you use it for an upgrade for the first time, then sell them. I'm pretty sure you only need one of each, but even if you need more by the time you reach that second upgrade you should have a very good idea of where to find the part you need.
- Exception: rat and geese parts, because you'll need them eventually for the maximum capacity upgrades and they are frustrating as hell to get.
- That said, you really don't need massive upgrades to ammo and backpack capacity because you can craft ammo on a whim and you are actually selling your stuff instead of hoarding it.
- As a benefit, you can buy anything as soon as you come across it, because you're actually selling stuff.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anything special I need to know for StarCrawlers?

If you set off an alarm, you'll get into a fight in every single room. It's extremely tedious and annoying, and made me quit the game because after a while it just started feeling grindy. So, uh, don't set off alarms I guess!

Edit: To be a bit clearer, you need to look out for things like trip wires and laser grids. I think that failing hacking and things can set off alarms as well. The game likes hiding the tripwires in places you don't expect, so it's quite easy to accidentally trigger them.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 28, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kruller posted:

Hold down LT when scouting with Senu and any enemies anywhere near your cursor will be highlighted. It's pretty easy to do one pass over the target before infiltrating and mark every guard by just waving the cursor back and forth in a search pattern. Especially since Senu can see through solid walls.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Hold down LT when scouting with Senu and any enemies anywhere near your cursor will be highlighted. It's pretty easy to do one pass over the target before infiltrating and mark every guard by just waving the cursor back and forth in a search pattern. Especially since Senu can see through solid walls.

It might just be because I just got to Alexandria but his area of effect on that is pretty small. I assume syncing with towers more will make sweeping over areas less fiddly? I always seem to miss a few guys and only by pure luck do I not get ambushed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kruller posted:

It might just be because I just got to Alexandria but his area of effect on that is pretty small. I assume syncing with towers more will make sweeping over areas less fiddly? I always seem to miss a few guys and only by pure luck do I not get ambushed.

Yes. You can usually scout big camps (as in 30-40 guys or so) in 10 seconds once Senu stops being lazy.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I have never played any Metal Gear games, and want to start with the original 8-bit games. What are the best versions of those to play? And, with minimal spoilers, are there any particular gotchas that require out-of-game knowledge? I have heard the 8-bit games had a thing similar to the infamous "back of the CD case" puzzle that showed up later in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Sometimes changes to the plot can happen between knocking enemies out on a mission and not touching anyone at all (and killing obviously).

The stun gun's probably the best pick of weapon for the tutorial level.

maou shoujo posted:

I have never played any Metal Gear games, and want to start with the original 8-bit games. What are the best versions of those to play? And, with minimal spoilers, are there any particular gotchas that require out-of-game knowledge? I have heard the 8-bit games had a thing similar to the infamous "back of the CD case" puzzle that showed up later in the series.

The versions included with MGS3: Subsistence are probably the easiest option if you have a ps2 or xbox but if you don't you aren't missing too much, they don't hold up. Most people would probably agree Metal Gear Solid is the earliest good starting point to the series.

Metal Gear 2 and Solid both have read-the-back-of-the-box tricks in them, but the solution never changes so you can just hit up google or something. It isn't actually even required in Solid, they'll give you the solution eventually.