Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hibernate is gaaaarbage never use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold

Carecat posted:

Help I came back and installed too many mods using CKAN.

If you want to prune, probably reduce the total number of parts - with Nertea's, KW rocketry, B9, and USI you probably have somuch redundant stuff - you could easily cut Ven's and use janitor's closet to prune out the stock parts. I tend to just go with KW, Nertea's, and a heavily pruned B9 which meets pretty much all needs for whatever you want to do in the system.

Also with so much variety you can do without tweakscale - in fact, going without tweakscale would actually encourage you to work within the constraints of what you have available, rather than just scaling anything to be the exact fit for what you want.

OldMold fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 25, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nevets posted:

Anybody else getting BSOD's on trying to hibernate/restore Win10 after playing a heavily modded game? I figure it's either KSP or the recent 'content' update.

We're not in the Windows 9x era anymore. On the NT kernel, and especially since 6.0 (Vista), it's basically impossible for user-level applications to cause a BSOD. They're pretty much a 100% certain indication of a kernel mode driver acting up or a hardware failure.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Finished up my latest project, a large "Space Dock" for in-situ construction. SimpleConstruction (The EPL fork) has the ISRU which allows for Ore->Metal, and allows engineers in your Science Lab to turn that metal into RocketParts, which if you know EPL allows for the building of ships off-world. Ample ore and Rocket Part storage, good amounts of LqFuel/LqOx and LH2 as well.

Over 250 parts, over 1,000 tons full. Took 12 launches to complete (and five of those launches were just for launching the tank-arms 4 at a time.)

TIMG'd because I just got a 1440p monitor.

More pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/dgREv

Otacon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 27, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That looks rad as hell and way more clean and organized than my stations ever do.

I'm still saving up for the $3.5M needed to upgrade to R&D 3 so I can unlock ISRU components in this game. I've got the Duna Probes strategia mission, though, and my cluster of four landers and two orbiters just entered Duna SOI, so I should have a big pile of cash arriving shortly.

For the first time, I have probes in flight to basically everywhere -- I missed the first Eve transfer window, but I've got two probe packages en route to Jool, one each heading for Dres and Eeloo, and the Duna one just arrived. I hosed up the Moho probes, though; the first one I screwed up a course correction burn and it's stuck in solar orbit, and the second one went whipping past at 2kps even after emptying its tanks trying to enter orbit.

The lander inside it might have been able to at least make orbit, except that I forgot to fit the orbiter with a relay antenna, so it went dead as soon as it was released from the cargo bay. :v:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
A friend gifted me this game and I am having a lot of fun with it. Just finished luna fly-by and orbital rendezvous and rescued Jeb, who has been trapped in space for a week. I got a problem though. How much fuel does gravity turning and boosting into orbit at optimal point and other such tricks save? I am trying to figure out how much I have to fuss about these things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pedro0930 posted:

A friend gifted me this game and I am having a lot of fun with it. Just finished luna fly-by and orbital rendezvous and rescued Jeb, who has been trapped in space for a week. I got a problem though. How much fuel does gravity turning and boosting into orbit at optimal point and other such tricks save? I am trying to figure out how much I have to fuss about these things.

Quite a lot, actually. Thrusting along the direction the ship is traveling (or directly backwards) is much more efficient than misaligned thrust, so you'll want to plan your maneuvers to do that whenever possible. You can easily spend twice the fuel or more on a suboptimal course or mistimed intercept.

If you would like to fuss about fuel in the best possible manner, install a mod that calculates the DV of your rocket and have a chart of destination costs handy.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It is easy to imagine ridiculously suboptimal navigation. It is like a hyperbola with asymptotes along the X and Y axis (+X being "efficient", +Y being fuel budget); the difference between "complete ignorance" vs "incompetent" is much much greater than "incompetent" vs "amateur". Depending on where you are, it might only be 5~10 percent savings, which isn't much to fuss about in the base game.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Otacon posted:

Finished up my latest project, a large "Space Dock" for in-situ construction. SimpleConstruction (The EPL fork) has the ISRU which allows for Ore->Metal, and allows engineers in your Science Lab to turn that metal into RocketParts, which if you know EPL allows for the building of ships off-world. Ample ore and Rocket Part storage, good amounts of LqFuel/LqOx and LH2 as well.

Over 250 parts, over 1,000 tons full. Took 12 launches to complete (and five of those launches were just for launching the tank-arms 4 at a time.)

TIMG'd because I just got a 1440p monitor.

More pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/dgREv

I saw this on Reddit and thought it was really cool! Whenever I've built orbital shipyards in the past usually I wind up launching a 200+ ton (dry weight) monstrosity into orbit in one go, which can be a pain for obvious reasons. (In the days before Konstruction ports, so I was trying to keep docking physics bugs to a minimum.) I'll probably be trying something similarly modular in my new save that I just started.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

metasynthetic posted:

I saw this on Reddit and thought it was really cool! Whenever I've built orbital shipyards in the past usually I wind up launching a 200+ ton (dry weight) monstrosity into orbit in one go, which can be a pain for obvious reasons. (In the days before Konstruction ports, so I was trying to keep docking physics bugs to a minimum.) I'll probably be trying something similarly modular in my new save that I just started.

Thanks!

I know what you mean... I tend to just launch impossibly huge things because I use SpaceY Heavy Lifters and it's hilariously fun sometimes. I spent almost 2 months planning and building this station out (usually only playing on weekends) and considered launching it all at once, more than once. It was extremely tedious, but I wanted that tedium for this - it's definitely my most complex station yet, but not the largest. This is a few shots of my inital spacedock design before I found the NanoDock part that's in the above screenshot... you'll notice I still intended to finish it up with launching the girder-tanks from NearFuture. Scrapped using the part because the sides kept popping off when it got within 2km of any other crafts. Main engine stack is 7.5m, side stacks are 5m. If memory serves, this was over 1,000 tons.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 2, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I love how completely ridiculous yet in-hindsight-obvious that mounting approach for the spacedock is.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

metasynthetic posted:

I love how completely ridiculous yet in-hindsight-obvious that mounting approach for the spacedock is.

Definitely something strange about launching a spacedock with a rocket already in it, discarding the rocket on the way to orbit, and then building another rocket where the first used to be!

Sometimes I overdo it with screenshots, and this was one time that it paid off. Here's that launch composed of about 60 of them. Watch fullscreen as the images used are 1080p.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/PalatableShockingArmedcrab

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope reality one day catches up to Kerbal Space Program.

That would be a really interesting real launch. Completely impractical unless you limit TWR to like 1.3 and under and keep it subsonic until the upper atmosphere though.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

My brother-in-law texted me this week:

quote:

I just had my last engineering lecture for a very long time. And it was about calculating your trajectory after flying by Venus. Highschool senior me is very proud

Thanks for introducing me to KSP!!

He gets commissioned as an officer in the US Navy next Saturday and is off to flight school in January. All because his sister's goon husband told him about a rocket game played by a Scottish wizard.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nth Doctor posted:

He gets commissioned as an officer in the US Navy next Saturday and is off to flight school in January. All because his sister's goon husband told him about a rocket game played by a Scottish wizard.

Poor guy. Video games really do ruin lives

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Scottish wizards: no sense of right and wrong

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Kerbal Space Program: a rocket game played by a Scottish wizard

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Nth Doctor posted:

Nice.... although technically I’m not a wizard since I can explain what I do.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nth Doctor posted:

Tell him to come to GiP and post in the Navy thread so we can tell him not to do it. And then so we can milk years of comedy from fresh blood.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
He's a noble. It won't be the same.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

illectro posted:

I can explain how transistors, integrated circuits, and microprocessors work; but most people's eyes glaze over until you get to the part which explains how to get their Netflix working again. If magic is just technology that is so advanced that most people can't understand it then physicists, engineers, chemists, etc. are wizards for all intents and purposes. The only reason we don't pay our modern miracles the respect they're due is that everyone born in the last 70 years has lived with the miraculous every day, to the point where we've given up on wondering how the magic happens and just want to know what it'll do for us.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

illectro posted:

Yeah, yer a sorcerer not a mage :v:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nalesh posted:

Yeah, yer a sorcerer not a mage :v:

I believe the correct term is "astromancer".

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm back into the game, re starting a career for the first time since the beta, and loving it.

Do you guys change the atmospheric heating settings? Or enable stuff like G-forces killing parts or Kerbals?

I'm tempted by this, as I notice lots of stock parts can re-enter Gael just fine sans heat shield. I worry that by making this harder I'll gently caress myself when I return to Gael at interplanetary speeds.

Also, what do you guys use to add more to the science game? I see there are mods that add all kinds of experiments. I'm not really looking for more poo poo to stick onto probes as it just feels like busywork. Something that requires setup, something that is a bit realistic, adds some fun to the game is what I'm after here. Not looking for station science, but stuff that encourages me to explore other bodies.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I enabled G forces / pressure settings and haven't really noticed any practical impact to be honest. I think the only scenarios you're likely to see the come into play would be things that are going to kill you anyway or really out there stuff like flying spaceplanes deep in a gas giant atmosphere. Don't remember if I messed with temperature settings. Anytime I'm doing interplanetary returns, it means I'm far enough along that I have the inflatable heatshield anyway.

Not a mod, but I changed science in my current (also GPP) game by giving myself 1000 science to skip the super-early stuff that I've done a hundred times already, while also cutting down my overall science rate to 30%. I'm not playing with [strike]any[/strike] many mods that add science experiments, and I haven't used the MPL either. (I guess scansat counts as extra science.)

This setting feels like a really good sweet spot, for GPP at least. I did visited to Iota and Ceti, which bootstrapped my research to get the higher level experiments, causing me to go back for another trip or two, which put me in a good position to start launching interplanetary probes but left manned impractical. A couple of years later, most of my probes have since hit their destinations and I have just enough tech now to put together a manned mission to Niven or Gratian (including USI life support.) I've been taking as much partial science as I can from my probes because I need it right away!

These don't add new science, but [x] Science! and For Science are good mods which make it easier to track what experiments you have / haven't done, and to run them for you automatically instead of clicking every part.

I had a cool moment in this playthrough: one of my first interplanetary probes was targeted at Gratian / Geminus, and as mentioned my science rate is low so at this point I think the most advanced engine I had was a Terrier. No suitable heat shields for aerocapture. This particular design was for planets with satellites, using a base stage which keeps 2 probes attached until arrival, at which point each breaks off to make independent maneuvers. For Gratian, the base stage had just enough dV to make the intercept with 50 m/s for final adjustments. Both Gratian and Geminus have relatively strong gravity, so the dV to make (highly elliptical) orbit is something like 1200, which leaves my probes with 200 left.

Once I enter Gratian's SOI, I fiddle with the Geminus probes' maneuver node and find out that it's pretty favorable to use the Oberth effect at periapsis, along with a couple other burns, to get myself into a close polar approach to Geminus, enabling it to make orbit. This is great since at launch I wasn't sure if I'd be able to pull that off or if I'd have to settle for a flyby. But there's a problem: even though I made some small burns on SOI entry to adjust the Geminus probes' orbit, it and the Gratian probe would hit periapsis within seconds of each other.

Except one was on a polar and one on an equatorial approach, hundreds of kms apart, so no firing both engines at the same time.

The Geminus probe's trajectory was intricate, and if any burns were off it would at best cost me a lot of dV and at worst completely fail. I decide my attention will be focused on it at periapsis since the precision was crucial.

For the Gratian probe, I cranked the engine power down to 10% and started doing a slow burn a few minutes ahead of periapsis, and set a KAC alert to pull me back to the Geminus probe 10 seconds before firing, which would take about 45 seconds. Once that was done, I would come back to the Gratian probe, crank the engines back to max, and hope I didn't take so much of an efficiency hit that I couldn't make orbit.

Everything worked perfectly. Was one of the best moments I've had playing this game.

I used the last of the Geminus probe's dV to get in a slightly better but still eccentric orbit, Scansat is going to take forever but I think I can scan the whole moon. The Gratian probe is still super elliptical orbital period of 60+ (I think) days. It has a little dV left, but I'm very very cautiously going to try high altitude aerobraking.Would still take years to get low enough even if it works though, I might just send a manned mission by then.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Nevets posted:

I can explain how transistors, integrated circuits, and microprocessors work; but most people's eyes glaze over until you get to the part which explains how to get their Netflix working again. If magic is just technology that is so advanced that most people can't understand it then physicists, engineers, chemists, etc. are wizards for all intents and purposes. The only reason we don't pay our modern miracles the respect they're due is that everyone born in the last 70 years has lived with the miraculous every day, to the point where we've given up on wondering how the magic happens and just want to know what it'll do for us.

I too am a techno wizard. I regularly joke that electricity is black magic (semiconductor physics makes no sense to anyone not balls deep in it), and that RF is straight up turbo voodoo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, P/N junctions are magic?

Wait until you tell people that the electrons actually move from negative to positive. That'll blow their poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wait, P/N junctions are magic?

Wait until you tell people that the electrons actually move from negative to positive. That'll blow their poo poo.

???

?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The charge moves from positive to negative. The electrons go the other way.

The charge is like the gap in a line of cars in gridlock. While the front car may go, and all of the cars slowly move up, the gap between them moves against the flow of traffic.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Is everything just a series of water pipes, or a collection of spring elements?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is there a way to cheat-move kerbals into a craft on a remote body? I forgot to populate a crew pod and I only noticed when I landed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BgRdMchne posted:

Is everything just a series of water pipes, or a collection of spring elements?

Both :science:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Imagine a mass at the end of a spring, oscillating back and forth.......FOREVER

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

Is there a way to cheat-move kerbals into a craft on a remote body? I forgot to populate a crew pod and I only noticed when I landed.

Yes. There may be a mod, but just look in your save file and make the adjustment by comparing with a manned craft.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Peas and Rice posted:

Kerbal Space Program: a rocket game played by a Scottish wizard

That Scottish wizard was from the Mün.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Yes. There may be a mod, but just look in your save file and make the adjustment by comparing with a manned craft.

I can only get this to half-way work.

From the tracking station, Bobert now shows up as crew of the vessel. But when I got to pilot it, it still shows as empty. I assume there's some other field I need to change but I can't find what it is.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Count Roland posted:

I can only get this to half-way work.

From the tracking station, Bobert now shows up as crew of the vessel. But when I got to pilot it, it still shows as empty. I assume there's some other field I need to change but I can't find what it is.

Save editing is really janky and complex, doubly so when you use mods. The trick is to have a similar setup to compare to the one you're changing. So if you're trying to save-edit a kerbal into a craft, you'll need to have another craft with a kerbal in it, check everywhere that kerbal is referenced and any place the vehicle UUID is referenced, etc, and try to make the craft you're editing match that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've been playing the hell outta kerbal again and man, i really really wish squad would start giving us better options for rovers, bases and spaceplanes. the stuff that is in the game right now just doesn't really cut it for any of these and i dislike relying on mods to have bases that don't look like hot garbage and spaceplanes that don't require absurd setups because rapiers only come in one size. it's frustrating that the next patch/expansion sounds to just have more rocket parts in it because as far as rockets go, we're already set on that front.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Question about the Mobile Processing Lab.

So I collect my experiments and turn it into data and have the lab process the stuff, ok.

I come back at random intervals to transmit the data back. But this takes a ton of electricity, and if the juice runs out before all the data is done then the whole thing just aborts.

Do you guys deal with this by having a power source that exceeds the requirements of the antenna? I really didn't think I'd need this many solar panels just for transmitting poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
You either need to produce more, or have a battery bank that is trickle charged with capacity to perform your desired action.