Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
it puts the lotion on it's skin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcITGNWtoIc

edit:

Now lets rub!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Anticheese posted:

I really have no idea who greenlit the Hammerhead video all but saying "Hey this thing is a white elephant and maintaining this thing is a pain in the rear end that requires a lot of manual busywork" right before going HEY BUY THE HAMMERHEAD!

The more mundane busywork the better for most citizens.

They should get into free to play Korean MMOs.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
We are all going to have a nice collective laugh when it turns out Ortwin socked away a hundred million into his private Caribbean bank account, and the Roberts will end up dead broke with repossessed leases of everything including the kitchen sink espresso machine.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Lladre posted:

We are all going to have a nice collective laugh when it turns out Ortwin socked away a hundred million into his private Caribbean bank account, and the Roberts will end up dead broke with repossessed leases of everything including the kitchen sink espresso machine.

This is probably the best case scenario. The backers lose everything, Chris is broke and a worldwide joke, we have a good laugh, nothing really changes.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

It's nothing to do with that. For those of us who have developed multiplayer games, it almost always starts out as a single player session with stub code for all the networking bits which you later fill in. And that off-line mode is valuable for testing because without the actual data set earlier on, you have no idea how you need to streamline your code down the road.

And that's typically the problem that Star Citizen has. They somehow figured that - untouched - the baseline CryEngine network layer was adequate. It wasn't - as anyone who has played a CryEngine multiplayer game will tell you. But they decided, wtf, we're just going to make an MMO anyway.

Having done that, knowing that they're never - ever - getting an MMO out of this poo poo-show, they decided to focus on other things, while making minor to subtle revisions to the network layer in order to be able to actually come up with a proper client-server (FYI CryEngine base networking is peer-to-peer, but you can hack in a client-server model if you wanted to). It's how the PU came to be, whereby they were touting "persistence" despite the fact that there was nothing actually persistent (db store and pulls are not persistence) about it.

So, right now in 3.0, hype aside - with zero optimizations to their networking - each client in a serssion sends in excess of 4K bytes (I poo poo you not, fire up Wireshark and see) per second to the server. The server response is over 160K bytes - to every loving client. This is only part of the reason why the server shits itself so frequently.

However, there is NO fixing their networking layer without ripping it all out. They know this - that's why they haven't touched it. And even though they have yet to switch to LumberYard's own implementation (LY deprecated the base CryEngine networking), even doing that won't help because that too wasn't designed for large scale networking.

The end result? As I've written over and over, they're never - ever - getting an MMO out of this. If they don't collapse in the short-term, and somehow limp (they won't - they're hosed, it's just not news yet) along putting bandaid on the PU until they poo poo out SQ42, the closest they're ever going to get to meaningful multiplayer, is precisely where they are right now, but with fewer clients.

I hope that some day we get a quality post mortem from this. I’d love to know how many of the problems CIG faced and continue to face are because Chris Roberts felt like everything was an easy task that should have been done in a week.

We have 6 years of proof that he thinks everything should have been done quickly.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

hot balls man no homo posted:

They've managed to buy themselves another week of life. Maybe a little less, like 5 days at the estimated burn rate. But then again, those new job postings might mean that they are cutting the fat.
that's the soothing balm on my lowball for the ship sale. 2 million or 10 million, it still doesn't buy them much time

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Rugganovich posted:

Humble Bundle have a thing on for Java books
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/java-books

Someone with the knowledge should say a yay ot a nay for that.

That's an incredible selection of books for $15.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
just putting together the fake salesman, VA work, mocap and the ship itself probably runs into the few hundred thousand, let alone actually getting something like that into the game

the pioneer alone probably adds tens of millions of technical debt up in this motherfucker

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TheAgent posted:

just putting together the fake salesman, VA work, mocap and the ship itself probably runs into the few hundred thousand, let alone actually getting something like that into the game

the pioneer alone probably adds tens of millions of technical debt up in this motherfucker
I mean... did you see the last advertisement video they made? They clearly don't give a poo poo about the fidelity of their ads anymore.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
they might look bad, but how many times do you think that ship was refactored before getting final approval

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It is time the Stimperor stepped in to make sense of this thread's madness.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol I couldn't be hosed to watch their dumb Grand Tour ripoff video for the new jpeg until just now. Jesus Christ it's smoothbrains all the way down.

Why would you need to do a daily visual inspection on the entire outside of your futuristic space warship?
Why would you need to do it floating like 60 feet above the things you're gonna be looking at?
Why would you only send one loving guy to do the whole thing?
WHY WOULDN'T HE BE TETHERED IN SOME KIND OF WAY?

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

The Titanic posted:

I hope that some day we get a quality post mortem from this. I’d love to know how many of the problems CIG faced and continue to face are because Chris Roberts felt like everything was an easy task that should have been done in a week.

We have 6 years of proof that he thinks everything should have been done quickly.

I think it would take a good few months alone to unravel the mess that is Star Citizen. There's so many angles you could go in from; CIG itself, Chris' management style, Sandi taking advantage of CIG for acting purposes, Ascendant pictures, loans, management's payouts, etc. The list is huge.

Sadly, it might not ever be done because there might just be too much to analyse. Which is a shame because I don't think this should ignored as a 'oh well, they tried' failed kickstarter; they deserve to have all their dirt brought into the light.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wouldnt you just have your robot drone do all of this 1,000 years into the future

why are people still delivering packages like its 1985

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Do I have everything right in my head here?

CIG take out a loan from Coutts with a spurious reason (leveraging the whole company and IP in the process), presumably because they couldn't make it to the year-end without the influx of money.
CIG stop refunds for a time (or are they still paused?) to stretch out what they have that little bit longer.
CIG releases 3.0 well before schedule and with seemingly no fanfare or hype. 3.0 is just dropped into the wild. According to EightAce, this may have been because Coutts had come knocking?
CIG begins a 10 Day Sale (unprecedented?) including a whole bunch of 'limited' ships and other lucrative dangling carrots. On the first two days, it makes basically the same amount of money, which is a bit strange, and then the third day drops off hard.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

TheAgent posted:

wouldnt you just have your robot drone do all of this 1,000 years into the future

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Ash1138 posted:

about $462k for today

seems low for a "pulling out all the stops" kind of day

Nah, pulling out all the stops is near the end when they put every ship back up for sale and you get people buying whatever the whale holy grail ships are.

That and selling land.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Nah, pulling out all the stops is near the end when they put every ship back up for sale and you get people buying whatever the whale holy grail ships are.

That and selling land.

Wasn't that the first two days with Idris and Javelins?

And land is coming tomorrow is the theory, right?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheAgent posted:

This poo poo is so dumb my sixty year old father laughs at it when I describe it to him

Roberts is outdated to people in his own loving generation

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess they can make a giant war or something that happens 150 years before the game starts that destroys most technology and makes black people go back to mopping floors and white bald dudes deliver your packages

meanwhile my new floor cleaning robot I picked up on black friday is loving cool as hell (even though it disturbs the gently caress outta the cat/dog)

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

wouldnt you just have your robot drone do all of this

Not a very nice thing to say about Sandi

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/bupkmle.gifv

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
c'mon crobber release 3.0 to the rest of us so I can spend my last week semi off work griefing the poo poo outta streamers

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Milky Moor posted:

Do I have everything right in my head here?

CIG take out a loan from Coutts with a spurious reason (leveraging the whole company and IP in the process), presumably because they couldn't make it to the year-end without the influx of money.
CIG stop refunds for a time (or are they still paused?) to stretch out what they have that little bit longer.
CIG releases 3.0 well before schedule and with seemingly no fanfare or hype. 3.0 is just dropped into the wild. According to EightAce, this may have been because Coutts had come knocking?
CIG begins a 10 Day Sale (unprecedented?) including a whole bunch of 'limited' ships and other lucrative dangling carrots. On the first two days, it makes basically the same amount of money, which is a bit strange, and then the third day drops off hard.

This is about right. Every now and again I hit a point where none of this seems real any more, we're at one of those points now

Oh you forgot that they're selling jpegs of land now, jpegs of land. That's jpegs of land.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

How does that even happen? :psyduck:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is that a shoeprint?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
reason 1: the game is a janky piece of poo poo
reason 2:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
If his suit wasn't the same color as the ground I would totally make that into :goatsecx:.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Some guy made a Star Citizen scene in UE4
http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/star-citizen-silent-hill-2-spyro-dragon-recreated-unreal-engine-4/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the dog is melting :ohdear:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Hav posted:

Someone's looking to be replaced with a script.

Edit:

You have to have had some engineering or process background to understand what Agile was trying to do, then understand that it's entirely misapplied by almost everyone because there's a cherry-picking, and not a large amount of normalizing of deviance around defining what the people making the decisions about the process are looking to hide. Yeah, it's mostly bullshit, but there are very specific reasons for creating narratives (extreme programming), story points and an overall goal, but they usually miss the messy 'we're gonna work things out' and end up sitting on one person's lap.

I sat in a meeting a couple of weeks ago where three people described the same problem differently, then were overrode by their boss who described a fourth thing. That's a massive failure in alignment, and no amount of agile can get around the blind men and the elephant. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant)

Opinion ahead, beware; I suspect that a lot of this has had to do with a culture of acceptance rather than actually using a test-driven system where the _design starts with the tests_. There's a lot of mis-interpretation of 'agile' as 'not loving planning', or 'just making things work' that's beginning to bring out a lot of technical debt. However, I have been doing the equivalent of archeological forensic programming for the best part of a couple of decades.

I'd suggest that we get more celebrity driven than cargo-cult, though. Because 'X' recommends something doesn't mean that it's _right_, but there's just acceptance rather than testing. Case in point, we ignore vendor claims when it comes to performance for network devices and instead test them ourselves.

Again, opinion.

This.

And I'm shutting up about the day job now.

programming chat is good

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

Wasn't that the first two days with Idris and Javelins?

And land is coming tomorrow is the theory, right?

Nah it's slightly different. The idris and javelin are put up with the restricted quantities throughout the sale but the "Grand Finale" every year is to put every ship back on sale except I guess the alien ones.

They usually match the huge first day numbers with huge closing numbers.

It's pretty funny that their yearly sales have been going on so long we can talk about them like this.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

That's not how a mop works.

You people are there crunching 24/7 watch the help mop the kitchen.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I found a few books and discovered that programming is complicated, but at this point he's should JUST CODE.

Here's a good challenge for him to try once he gets his bearings. I wrote this in Java, but it could be translated fairly easily to just about any object-oriented language. It will force him to be comfortable with the basics, and there are plenty of opportunities to go read about concepts as they come up. He'll have to read up about terminology (like, "hey google, what does unmarshal mean?). It's gonna throw him right into the messy world of searching strings for patterns, but despite that pithy quote about regular expressions, you gotta know em. I sometimes give questions like this out as tech tests for prospective candidates, and have them walk me through their solution.

Problem: https://repl.it/@Toops/Car-Exercise
Solution: https://repl.it/@Toops/Car-Exercise-Solution

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hot balls man no homo posted:

This is probably the best case scenario. The backers lose everything, Chris is broke and a worldwide joke, we have a good laugh, nothing really changes.

a return to normalcy

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

890 Jump back on sale, they are throwing absolutely everything at this.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16259-ORIGIN-Anniversary-Special-Sale

Stay strong! Wait for the crucible! Remember you can repair stuff!

Or that giant mining ship with the big laser nose. :)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Patch notes for the 3.0ab PTU deployed last week have finally arrived

"NOTE: Other content and features are in and listed in the notes, but currently not the focus of this testing phase as they undergo bug fixes and polish. Additionally, there's content that is not listed in the notes that are intended for live release and will be added iteratively during the testing cycle."

"Content missing key elements:
User Interface
Insurance and Persistence
Internal Ship Docking
Comm System"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

lol 3.0ab???