Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

hot balls man no homo posted:

This is probably the best case scenario. The backers lose everything, Chris is broke and a worldwide joke, we have a good laugh, nothing really changes.

Pretty sure the top brass already cash out about once a year. Now they're just riding the lightning.

Didn't they pay themselves back for the IP which they sold themselves in addition to paying themselves back for developing that IP before the funding started rolling, while also paying themselves the salary they set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Toops posted:

lol halfway through your second paragraph I was like did you attend David Braben's School of Gameplay or something?

Sandro - a haiku

Sandro hits Vegas
Dealer asks “What’s your game, friend?”
Sandro laughs, “War, baby!”

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Awesome! posted:

is that a shoeprint?

This simple act of firing of mah laser space RPG at a decal making it expand to 100 times its size, causes me to wince in pain at the kind of cacophony of lovecraftian widgets and gizmos that must govern the corporeal fabric of Space Resident Evil.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just saw someone on twitch ask if anyone else was excited for star citizen. i said star citizen is a scam get a refund. he immediately asked if i was derek smart lol

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Milky Moor posted:

lol 3.0ab???

:lol: yep

From the patcher:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I love non lethal weapons. Like that stun baton that’s in all the video games these days. Or the dart gun.

Does the ship have a dart gun or big emp baton it can thwack other space boats with?

If somebody hits the ship I’m knee deep in cleaning the chin out of the hot tub in, will I be electrocuted to death? Will I then maybe live, but be crippled until a medic on a search and rescue ship can find me? :science:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wait a minute here... where did you get this picture of me skinny dipping?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

SC is more of a Costa Concordia than a Titanic at this point.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dusty Lens posted:

:golfclap:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

532 left, hurry, hurry, hurry.

That’s s very expensive, very sharp butt plug. I hope whoever is buying these limited ships they definitely didn’t sell before as limited and never to be sold again and also not actually build into the game several years ago is careful with them today. Never know what you might poke out!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Good gods! Kayak has measles! Get well soon doggo!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

now that I'm almost done healing from surgery and not popping painkillers like max payne I need to get with you about some artwork stuffs

I’m always ready! Though slow and often times terrible and substandard of quality!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm getting one for Uncle Derek and I to share so he can tweet about it and Reddit can whine that "well actually you see it's leased by Beet!" as we run them over or however combat works in this lovely non-game

I... uh... :chloe:

I hope you both thoroughly enjoy sharing the sharp anal toy.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Quavers posted:

From the patcher:

My favorite has to be this line: "Vehicle customer app on wrong mobiglass button, and, also, we didn't do it yet."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dusty Lens posted:

:golfclap: Yes, it's the captain being an rear end in a top hat.

On Crobblers looking like a fool to his own age cohort: he and I are the same age, and his vision of the future is so ridiculously antiquated. Compare to Alistair Reynolds or Charles Stross, other people in our age cohort. Hell, Nancy Kress is 70, and her futures seem actually futuristic. Crobblers is just putting World War II in space.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Quavers posted:

From the patcher:

I await the day of 3.0aaaaaaab.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Also, let's just try to unwrap this one: "Ekhart's first mission breaks the player character."

What?

That's like saying "Getting into your car makes your house catch fire."

What the gently caress is wrong with Star Citizen? I've never seen bugs like this before.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know jack poo poo about computer programming but their complete disregard of all standard industry conventions for their build designations pisses me off. 1.0 is always supposed to be the fully developed launched product right? They're at like 0.03 right now.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Latin Pheonix posted:

I think it would take a good few months alone to unravel the mess that is Star Citizen. There's so many angles you could go in from; CIG itself, Chris' management style, Sandi taking advantage of CIG for acting purposes, Ascendant pictures, loans, management's payouts, etc. The list is huge.

Sadly, it might not ever be done because there might just be too much to analyse. Which is a shame because I don't think this should ignored as a 'oh well, they tried' failed kickstarter; they deserve to have all their dirt brought into the light.

We just need a few confirmed reports of devs in a meeting:

:rant: So I see that it’s been a week, and we still haven’t redefined internet technology yet. What’s the loving delay?

:magical: Well sir, uh, Rob is only part time. He’s still working on his associates degree as an IT -

:rant: I don’t want your loving excuses. Rebuilding core internet communication technology should be a few day process. Didn’t you see me in that loving Charter Commercial where I already did the hard part?

:magical: Sir, we’re still trying to figure out how CryEngine did-

:rant: Shut your mouth! If you can’t do it, I’ll make sure you never work in this industry again. Tomorrow I’m going on camera again. I’m making a loving video where I’m programming this poo poo in my sleep fixing up all your cock ups. If this poo poo isn’t done by next Tuesday, you will all be fired. I’m sick of your lazy abilities to do nothing for my project. I’ll get another pack of high schoolers in here with loving talent to back them up and get this out in a few days.

:magical:

:magical:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know jack poo poo about computer programming but their complete disregard of all standard industry conventions for their build designations pisses me off. 1.0 is always supposed to be the fully developed launched product right? They're at like 0.03 right now.
It annoys me too. That and calling the game "crowdfunded" make me twitch.

Much like everything else it's a constantly thumping drone of dressing the product to present it as more ideal; in this case, appearing closer to complete. When a layperson encounters a tweet saying "Star Citizen 3.0" they're more likely to imagine it's a real game.

Everything is about pretending it's a complete, real game for people to buy ships in while also being a pledge toward a future project you may never receive.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

It is time the Stimperor stepped in to make sense of this thread's madness.

The Stimperor loves pain and all things exquisitely painful,

But even this thread makes him fear for his very being.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Anticheese posted:

I really have no idea who greenlit the Hammerhead video all but saying "Hey this thing is a white elephant and maintaining this thing is a pain in the rear end that requires a lot of manual busywork" right before going HEY BUY THE HAMMERHEAD!

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol I couldn't be hosed to watch their dumb Grand Tour ripoff video for the new jpeg until just now. Jesus Christ it's smoothbrains all the way down.

Why would you need to do a daily visual inspection on the entire outside of your futuristic space warship?
Why would you need to do it floating like 60 feet above the things you're gonna be looking at?
Why would you only send one loving guy to do the whole thing?
WHY WOULDN'T HE BE TETHERED IN SOME KIND OF WAY?

It's actually really simple: the "it's a broken down piece of poo poo but it's got character and I love it" sci-fi tech trope. Serenity from Firefly and the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars are the obvious two, but it's not uncommon to have "this piece of poo poo ship broke down again" as the Problem Of The Week in other sci-fi series. Both are "pieces of poo poo" in their own established universes, beloved by their owners despite their quirks, and beloved by the fanbases of both shows. People are literally daydreaming about "how cool it would be to have a ship like that IRL, and everyone who thinks it's a piece of poo poo can go gently caress themselves because it's got ~character~" and don't spend a second of time thinking about the actual offscreen pain-in-the-rear end maintenance time involved for either.

So basically another iteration of "it works in movies but trying to put it into a game is going to make your game suck" realism simulation. But they're never going to learn that it sucks because it's not actually ever going to end up in the game, so they're just going to fall for the next game that promises exactly the same thing.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
3.0 in weeks not months! [Insert 7 months of zero updates here] Coutts loan, GamesCom, ShitizenCon, Anniversary Sale, Holiday Livestream.

What does your heart tell you?

Everything is fine! Exactly!

Buy a Hammerhead!

I can't wait to type this out again next year.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Fandred is a special kind of stupid. He is attributing Something Jone's post to me; though I actually responded and explained they were actually LOD models.

God these guys are hosed.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Fandred is a special kind of stupid. He is attributing Something Jone's post to me; though I actually responded and explained they were actually LOD models.

God these guys are hosed.

Wait!! I just noticed that /r/ds is finally spilling into /r/sc! NICE!!! :laffo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

It annoys me too. That and calling the game "crowdfunded" make me twitch.

Much like everything else it's a constantly thumping drone of dressing the product to present it as more ideal; in this case, appearing closer to complete. When a layperson encounters a tweet saying "Star Citizen 3.0" they're more likely to imagine it's a real game.

Everything is about pretending it's a complete, real game for people to buy ships in while also being a pledge toward a future project you may never receive.

Star Citizen's crowdfunded success story has made it to college textbooks.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sooo cute. :3:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

MilesK posted:

I'm impressed that someone made a textbook where the next edition will actually be worth getting.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Toops posted:

Also, let's just try to unwrap this one: "Ekhart's first mission breaks the player character."

What?

That's like saying "Getting into your car makes your house catch fire."

What the gently caress is wrong with Star Citizen? I've never seen bugs like this before.

This is the way CIG and CR do code.

Basically if it were real life, it would be :
Take a bite of an apple, it tastes like purple, the room you're in is now a polar bear, you are happy with how your fins look, the toilet is broken so you must tell the gunslinging cowboy to stop being the leaning tower of pisa, you're on a Micropachycephalosaurus.

Pray CIG never have sway over anyones real life.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
This thread just keeps on giving.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

MilesK posted:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Toops posted:

Well Chris Roberts does like Starship Troopers.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MilesK posted:

That's fine, that's crowdfunding. Calling it crowdfunded now is disingenuous.

Sabreseven posted:

This is the way CIG and CR do code.

Basically if it were real life, it would be :
Take a bite of an apple, it tastes like purple, the room you're in is now a polar bear, you are happy with how your fins look, the toilet is broken so you must tell the gunslinging cowboy to stop being the leaning tower of pisa, you're on a Micropachycephalosaurus.

Pray CIG never have sway over anyones real life.
Then a giant shoe print appears around you. You twitch, confused, but nothing else happens. Excellent baklava.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

From the patcher:

1: Those missions we told you about? Lying.

2: Remember that persistence thing we had two years ago? Well we lied, sorry.

3: A ship has no real attachment to you, even though we told you it was a big part of the game. Sorry, we lied again! Oopsy daisy!

4: All those awesome videos of mobiglass customizing of- gently caress guys, we don’t even have genders for characters yet, of course we’re lying to you. Gosh.

5: Remember those awesome repair mechanics with picking out materials and focusing repair arms and- come on guys, of course it’s not in because we literally have no idea how to do any of this. We just lie... about everything.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Then a giant shoe print appears around you. You twitch, confused, but nothing else happens. Excellent baklava.

Somewhere, on the other side of the 'verse the Hawk flaps its wings

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Found a gif of FTR's entrance to the thread and events leading up to the 3.0 vlog redemption save, viewed from reddit's backyard

https://i.imgur.com/TNgWYz9.gifv

quoting this from the Past

This is better than the entirety of the 10 pages posted before

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This just gets better every time.

it really does

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

I don’t want to point out how hilarious the VR error is... but hey at least the author will always have another revision for her/his Star Citizen entry. Next years $475 book will edit out the VR part.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

I know we all cheered a bit for a "LOL they broke" Sale period, but im happy this thing has a few more millions in the Tank. i only got here half a year ago and this place is cool and good and i like the (sometimes weird) people and the thread the way it is.

And lets be honest theres no way they burn through less than 3-4 Million a month with those employee counts, so this sale bought them the much proposed "2 Weeks" so far.

This is the best post.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's been a thing in versioning for a while to release a new version every month. Chrome is currently version 62.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

That's fine, that's crowdfunding. Calling it crowdfunded now is disingenuous.

If you had read the textbook you'd know they were crowdfunded $4.2 million to make an Oculus Rift game. Then they continued crowdfunding through their website surpassing $85 million and now they're making a game where you move boxes around empty moons.