Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I find too much joy from Thaumcraft hungry chests. I am setting up a bank of infernal furnaces and just like to watch the chests munch on all the stuff that falls out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Unless you're really attached to it, you can drastically reduce the RAM requirement for Simple Life by removing Decocraft. Good advice in general, really!

If you want gnarly custom furniture, you can still mess with Chisel & Bits, too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ah yeah, decocraft is a well-known dumpster fire in terms of performance, you never want to have it installed if you can help it

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

taiyoko posted:

I play the Simple Life 2 with 4 gigs, but adding foamfix anarchy was the biggest thing that made it playable for me.

That did the trick, thanks!

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

Unless you're really attached to it, you can drastically reduce the RAM requirement for Simple Life by removing Decocraft. Good advice in general, really!

If you want gnarly custom furniture, you can still mess with Chisel & Bits, too.

How does this affect the quest book, since a lot of those rewards are Decocraft junk?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

No idea on that one. I haven't had to test those circumstances.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Minecraft Modding: just download more ram you scrubs

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So there's a Buildcraft alpha up for 1.11.2 and 1.12.2.

The comments are full of people pissed that they're not doing a 1.10 version.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

So there's a Buildcraft alpha up for 1.11.2 and 1.12.2.

The comments are full of people pissed that they're not doing a 1.10 version.

Are any mods still dependent on Buildcraft these days? Or did they all switch over to Thermal Expansion?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If I'm feeding apples to a gourmaryllis at a slow pace, do I still need to jumble up its diet? I was reading that the mana it extracts from one food is inversely correlated to how many times in a row it has received that food. So I am assuming I need to run these apples through a cyclic assembler alternately making apple juice and apple sauce. Does it have enough of a memory to figure out what I'm doing there and thwart me?

It's there to use up all the apples from my tree farm, so I'm not really looking into making it a featured part of my energy generation, but I also don't want it to basically be a garbage can for apples either.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If I'm feeding apples to a gourmaryllis at a slow pace, do I still need to jumble up its diet? I was reading that the mana it extracts from one food is inversely correlated to how many times in a row it has received that food. So I am assuming I need to run these apples through a cyclic assembler alternately making apple juice and apple sauce. Does it have enough of a memory to figure out what I'm doing there and thwart me?

It's there to use up all the apples from my tree farm, so I'm not really looking into making it a featured part of my energy generation, but I also don't want it to basically be a garbage can for apples either.

never heard of that, is it new?

I normally just set up a potato farm for a gourm. set a therm (or the one that replaced fuel in a furnace) so it drops baked potaoes on it and its good.

Another super one is a pit of chickens. hopperhock to pick up drops. Dispenser to throw eggs into another pit. The flower to kill adult chickens, then another hopperhock to get the raw chicken into a furnace.

How are you getting enough apples to feed one?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

hungry hungry flowers.

I think it's how much hunger the food is worth. The more fufilling the food is, the more mana you can get with it. a cooked ham will give more mana than however many apples it's worth of hunger, if I am remembering it correctly.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Someone know of a mod/plugin for 1.7.10 that includes a chunk claiming feature that works by command line, e.g. something that could be installed on a server without requiring a client side install? It's become a problem on a server I'm helping run with a friend of mine for GTNH, and while we could just add FTButils, we're trying to avoid making people install something extra client side due to inevitable confusion for frequent new players.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A gourmaryllis only remembers the last food it ate, and how many times in a row, so alternating apple juice -> apple sauce will give you the full mana for both.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

why am i still playing this pack augh

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Modded Minecraft: why am i still playing this pack augh

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Apparently I should've taken the bait on Spice of Life sooner. I've spent more time playing Stardew Valley inside Minecraft since I started GTNH than anything else so far. And no, not out of any remotely real need for the food variety. If you don't care about spamming, you can keep yourself fed on nothing but raw ingredients indefinitely. I got a perverse satisfaction out of making my first supreme pizza from all homegrown ingredients.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I am on win10 now. I havent installed curse, and nor do i want to :/
Is there anyway to get the forge versions for multimc other than the twitch launcher?

Or has any kind soul ported some of the pack played here to the technic launcher?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SugarAddict posted:

What the gently caress happened to my stupid baby avatar?

lowtax occasionally changes the stupid newbie avatar to something else based on his whims

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

I am on win10 now. I havent installed curse, and nor do i want to :/
Is there anyway to get the forge versions for multimc other than the twitch launcher?

Or has any kind soul ported some of the pack played here to the technic launcher?

Getting Forge on multimc is easy. Getting packs with all the mods and configs? You'll need to install the twitch (or other) launcher and port it to multimc first. That's what us launcher-haters do.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Taffer posted:

Getting Forge on multimc is easy. Getting packs with all the mods and configs? You'll need to install the twitch (or other) launcher and port it to multimc first. That's what us launcher-haters do.

Yeah i have a few mod packs that ive done like that. I have MSB2, Simple life 2 and FTB horizons 3. but i need the forge versons before they will work. Assuming that the instance files from doing it before work on win10.

And i just tried to play the MSB2 on technic, but i just launches vanilla mc?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

That's a third party posting of the pack, not from the author, for whatever that's worth. I don't know if I'd trust it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

NuclearCraft is kinda interesting. Kinda wish it was in the dw20 pack.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Toadsmash posted:

I find it amusing that a mod which adds nothing but decorative models bloats the RAM requirements way out of proportion while Chisels & Bits lets you build at 1/16 scale within each normal block space and has no perceptible impact on performance.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

NuclearCraft is kinda interesting. Kinda wish it was in the dw20 pack.

I don't. It's extremely unstable and has a million unresolved bugs. It really didn't belong in MS2 in its current state. Dev is working on it, but hasn't been able to give it the time it needs. It's an awesome mod, but it's pretty thoroughly busted right now.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

General Specific posted:

I find it amusing that a mod which adds nothing but decorative models bloats the RAM requirements way out of proportion while Chisels & Bits lets you build at 1/16 scale within each normal block space and has no perceptible impact on performance.

Chisel and Bits doesn't add new models and textures for each bit you ever might use.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

I don't. It's extremely unstable and has a million unresolved bugs. It really didn't belong in MS2 in its current state. Dev is working on it, but hasn't been able to give it the time it needs. It's an awesome mod, but it's pretty thoroughly busted right now.

Does it? I only ran into the one bug with the nitrogen collector. Then again, I am not using the fusion reactor at all.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I've terraformed and flattened a new area for my base in Direwolf20 1.12, and I'm trying to brainstorm a little bit of the general layout before I start plunking down my storage and processing system.

So far I've got:

1. Refined Storage
2. General manual machine bank area
3. Automated machine bank processing / crafting area
4. Botania
4a. Astral Sorcery
5. Plant/tree area (probably mostly TE phytogenic insulators/cloches so I can put up nice decorative trees)
6. Big Reactor (Compact machines?)
7. Draconic Core and Charging/Enhancement area
8. Void Ore/Resource Miners
9. Bees
10. Integrated dynamics? Maybe? I haven't figured out what this mod really does
11. Mob farms
12. RFTools Dimension stuff
13. Gates (Nether, mining world, twilight, etc)

Any other fun themed areas I should think about?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

I've terraformed and flattened a new area for my base in Direwolf20 1.12, and I'm trying to brainstorm a little bit of the general layout before I start plunking down my storage and processing system.

So far I've got:

10. Integrated dynamics? Maybe? I haven't figured out what this mod really does

Integrated Dynamics is mostly about automating other stuff in mods, so it doesn't really need its own "area." If you use it, it'll be interwoven into other complex setups.

I guess you could make a Menril Tree grove and, like, a squeezer/drying basin area. That's about all it needs.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Devor posted:

9. Bees

Do we still need to stop and think about needing the stupid breeding/gambling simulator that is bees?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SugarAddict posted:

Do we still need to stop and think about needing the stupid breeding/gambling simulator that is bees?

yes

:kheldragar:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've started playing age of engineering with some friends who are completely new to modded minecraft. I've been in charge of tool making and just got our first coke oven online so ore doubling is next.

Any tips on what I should steer people towards? I noticed the guide recommends a mining dimension but that seems kind of cheaty. I'm thinking about making everyone some basic gear and throwing them at the nether.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I've started playing age of engineering with some friends who are completely new to modded minecraft. I've been in charge of tool making and just got our first coke oven online so ore doubling is next.

Any tips on what I should steer people towards? I noticed the guide recommends a mining dimension but that seems kind of cheaty. I'm thinking about making everyone some basic gear and throwing them at the nether.

Its absolutely not cheaty.
It has the same distribution of ores it just means you won't wreck the look of the overworld

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

If you ever require more than a billion of anything in minecraft it basically doesn't matter what kind of crazy automated resource gathering system you have, that's too much and will take months to complete if not years.

Yet in Draconic evolution i have a storage system with 53B RF stored in only 2 days. and the largest storage is 2.14T RF and i had 2 of those before the server restart.

and I use enderio Farming stations with octa upgrades providing 40 different magic crops with only 2 pulsers under each crop but it has already over filled my ME system (luckily i am getting both quartz and fluix from the farms.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

mehall posted:

Its absolutely not cheaty.
It has the same distribution of ores it just means you won't wreck the look of the overworld

So it's just for quarries and stuff? The name made me think it would be hugely dense with ores.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TheresaJayne posted:

and I use enderio Farming stations with octa upgrades providing 40 different magic crops with only 2 pulsers under each crop
I've never felt like pulsers were worth it. I dunno, they're expensive and I tried stacking like 64 under one plot and didn't notice a significant change. For that kind of investment the thing had better grow almost instant. What do you want from me?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I've never felt like pulsers were worth it. I dunno, they're expensive and I tried stacking like 64 under one plot and didn't notice a significant change. For that kind of investment the thing had better grow almost instant. What do you want from me?

Well i have seen instant (almost) for 4-5 under it grows in like 2 seconds

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

So it's just for quarries and stuff? The name made me think it would be hugely dense with ores.

It's not. It's a flat world that's eternal day and has a lot of cows. No other special properties. I put my base inside it when I played AoE.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's not. It's a flat world that's eternal day and has a lot of cows. No other special properties. I put my base inside it when I played AoE.

Don't sleep in the mining dimension though

Something... weird might happen

You and your bed blow up

SugarAddict posted:

I haven't figured out an actual use case for Bees yet. But I will one of these days. Mostly I like the aesthetic, and I have to do something with that Seed Oil I'm getting from squeezing the excess seeds from my cloches.

I see a bunch of stuff to do with Genes and Enzymes and Bacteria and Ethanol liquids that seems like it might bootstrap some interesting bee species

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
Would there be any interest if I started a kitchen sink mod pack server? Looks like most of the goon run servers outside of DPT are down. I wanted to try out one of the new 1.12 packs but hate playing single player.