Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

VMWare in 10.13 has been incredibly buggy for me. I’m close to just carrying around multiple laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evis posted:

VMWare in 10.13 has been incredibly buggy for me. I’m close to just carrying around multiple laptops.

What version? I'm running 10.0.1 on macOS 10.13.1 with zero issues. And I use the gently caress out it. Mostly Linux builds, but a Win 10 VM as well.

e: also 15" rMBP 2016

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Is APSF working for fusion drive macs yet? I was finally able to get High Sierra but it didn’t give me an option to switch. I tried doing it in recovery mode, but the convert option is greyed out. I just turned off file vault too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Haggins posted:

Is APSF working for fusion drive macs yet? I was finally able to get High Sierra but it didn’t give me an option to switch. I tried doing it in recovery mode, but the convert option is greyed out. I just turned off file vault too.

You answered your own question there.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just didn't know if there was something I wasn't doing right. I had to wait forever to upgrade to HS and I just assumed it was because of my fusion drive. Did Apple just give up?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Haggins posted:

Just didn't know if there was something I wasn't doing right. I had to wait forever to upgrade to HS and I just assumed it was because of my fusion drive. Did Apple just give up?

I don't know for a fact, I just know it's true.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Haggins posted:

Why did you have to wait?

A permanent "give up" is unlikely. They discussed Fusion Drive support features in their WWDC APFS sessions earlier this year (it's supposed to permanently store all APFS metadata on the SSD for performance), so the best guess is there's some edge case bug in either conversion or operation that they figured should not hold up High Sierra release.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BobHoward posted:

A permanent "give up" is unlikely. They discussed Fusion Drive support features in their WWDC APFS sessions earlier this year (it's supposed to permanently store all APFS metadata on the SSD for performance), so the best guess is there's some edge case bug in either conversion or operation that they figured should not hold up High Sierra release.

Yeah... I have the same level of optimism that the "modular" Mac Pro won't be just another expensive, outdated heap of poo poo destined for obsolescence.

If they can sell you a new Mac with a bigger SSD with an obscene markup, APFS for Fusion Drives is not a priority. Maybe that's massively cynical, but the fact that Boot Camp is broken as poo poo right now speaks volumes imo.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Theophany posted:

Yeah... I have the same level of optimism that the "modular" Mac Pro won't be just another expensive, outdated heap of poo poo destined for obsolescence.

If they can sell you a new Mac with a bigger SSD with an obscene markup, APFS for Fusion Drives is not a priority. Maybe that's massively cynical, but the fact that Boot Camp is broken as poo poo right now speaks volumes imo.

google searched to find out if there are stories of people hacking APFS onto fusion drives (successfully or not) and instead found a story that Hair Force One (aka Craig Federighi) promised an end user that it will happen in a future High Sierra update

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/25/apfs-fusion-drive-high-sierra-update/

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BobHoward posted:

google searched to find out if there are stories of people hacking APFS onto fusion drives (successfully or not) and instead found a story that Hair Force One (aka Craig Federighi) promised an end user that it will happen in a future High Sierra update

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/25/apfs-fusion-drive-high-sierra-update/

Genuine lol.

Although he said that they "plan to." A plan has a heckuva lot of wriggle room.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Theophany posted:

i think most people clamouring for a modular mac pro would be satisfied with them just putting some pci slots in the thing; can't wait to see them screw that up

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Generic Monk posted:

i think most people clamouring for a modular mac pro would be satisfied with them just putting some pci slots in the thing; can't wait to see them screw that up

Pretty much. I'm gonna be sad once this old 4.1 gives up the ghost!

I'd genuinely be interested to know what the sales numbers were as a percentage of total Macintosh revenue for the Mac Mini and Mac Pros back in the day. I've no doubt they were nowhere near the notebooks sales, revenues and profits. But were they that bad that leaving the Mini to languish and retooling the Mac Pro to be another G4 Cube failure were really the right moves to make?

Perhaps I'm just one of those obsolete old farts who likes having a desktop machine and a laptop that fill totally different roles.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Theophany posted:

But were they that bad that leaving the Mini to languish and retooling the Mac Pro to be another G4 Cube failure were really the right moves to make?

Obviously

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BobHoward posted:

No idea, it wouldn't let me upgrade until like 3 weeks ago. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I keep everything updated on the app store at least once a week. I even had a few security updates between the first release and when I was able to upgrade. I assumed it was held back because of the fusion issue.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

We are in the middle of relocating so I have been staying in a hotel since I’ve already started my new job. I came home this weekend to pack and decided I probably needed to back up my laptop to our Time Capsule since it had been a while. I got an error message saying that to improve reliability it needed to create a new backup for me. Is there something that causes this to happen or was it because it had been about a month since I backed up last? Kind of annoying to lose years worth of backups.

Honestly this really bugs me because it's a euphemism for "Whoops, we just noticed your backups are spontaneously hosed! Can we just start again from scratch?"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

fleshweasel posted:

Honestly this really bugs me because it's a euphemism for "Whoops, we just noticed your backups are spontaneously hosed! Can we just start again from scratch?"

I mean, on the one hand, yea, but on the other, at least it's verifying backup integrity?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I've noticed that since the High Sierra upgrade a few weeks ago, every other day or so, TM decides it needs to back up the entirety of my now APFS SSD. :confused:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Haggins posted:

No idea, it wouldn't let me upgrade until like 3 weeks ago. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I keep everything updated on the app store at least once a week. I even had a few security updates between the first release and when I was able to upgrade. I assumed it was held back because of the fusion issue.

How did it not let you upgrade? As far as I know, unless you’re in a managed environment at an organization that vets App Store upgrades, Apple does not “hold back” operating system updates. I updated my Fusion drive 2013 iMac on the first day.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

Jokes on you! They will revive NuBus

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Last Chance posted:

How did it not let you upgrade? As far as I know, unless you’re in a managed environment at an organization that vets App Store upgrades, Apple does not “hold back” operating system updates. I updated my Fusion drive 2013 iMac on the first day.

It just wasn't pushing the upgrade in notifications I'm guessing. I had to search for the update on the App Store rather than seeing it show up in "updates" or seeing any prompts to update.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

I don’t think High Sierra shows up as an update. You have to grab it separately from the store.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ahh that must be why.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't yet been able to update to High Sierra. My computer just won't connect to the server for some reason, wired or wireless. I just tried again and no luck.

I've had problems with the App Store updates since I got this though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What’s the best way to associate mailto links with gmail in a safari window?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Martytoof posted:

What’s the best way to associate mailto links with gmail in a safari window?

There’s an extension. Pretty sure it’s in the extension page.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Jokes on you! They will revive NuBus

I'm starting up the Connectix machine as we speak

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
It's been another solid year for my stay-at-home MBP (my alternate, secondary laptop), but I decided it should be restarted, for good measure, but not because I had too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have finally installed High Sierra and my house did not burn down.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The most notable thing about the last three OSX updates is how painless they've been. Only issue I had with High Sierra is games from GOG.com that use Wineskin not working without a bit of fiddling. I mean Pro Tools 11 is also a mess but that's more because Avid are lazy greedy fucks.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
My hope for the update process is speeding it up. Since they implemented SIP, updates take forever to install.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I still haven't updated, because I'm kind of nervous about the process of dealing with non-native video card stuff. I'll probably just throw the Radeon back in until the update is finished.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm still stuck trying to figure out why Time Machine thinks it needs to back up the entirety of my SSD every other day, before it eats up all the space on my NAS.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

I waited till 10.13.1 to install High Sierra and unfortunately I've seen some bugs. Odd graphical glitches while playing Twitch videos full screen, and a couple times it's had the Window Server crash (which forces you to log out because that's the parent process to basically everything in your login session). In other words, the transition to Metal-based Window Server isn't going super smooth on my hardware (late 2013 rMBP 15").

Other than that, it's been mostly painless.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Djimi posted:

It's been another solid year for my stay-at-home MBP (my alternate, secondary laptop), but I decided it should be restarted, for good measure, but not because I had too.

Nice. I've had a few worrying incidents over the past year on my 2014 MBP where it wouldn't wake up or it KP'd, so I'm kind of thinking one of these days I'll just blow it away and reinstall. It's been upgraded for three years now and there's so much crust from apps long gone that it's probably the easiest way clean it out now.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I'm not really a Mac guy, but I (consulting) just got passed a bunch of problems from a mac heavy business all related to MBPs only.

The problems seem to be the USB drivers for various usb-c dongles (mostly ethernet - I've got a RTL8153 based one, but others reported too, could be the same chipset though) are getting corrupted.

Therefore the dongles are being recognised upon plugging in, but the OS is not installing the correct drivers so they can't be used. Fun thing is that they (reportedly) used to be working.

Anyone run into this at all? I've found the driver pkg, so I'll do a reinstall of them, just seems to be a weird issue.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple gets new programmers to redo the USB stack with every new OS, they spectacularly hosed up USB for El Capitan, ever since they've been a bit better.

People who produce third-party USB networking adapters for Macs that use non-Broadcom chips include Realtek, MediaTek, Ralink (acquired by MediaTek) among others.

Usually stuff like that can be resolved by going to the chipset vendor's website and praying they updated the drivers for the latest macOS.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
After updating to High Sierra, I noticed that Logic Pro X’s custom icon dialog — which is supposed to just show images sorted by file name — was all out of order. A few other apps do the same thing. To test this I created a folder with duplicate files numbered sequentially and wrote an Automator script to generate a list, and this is what I got:
code:
~/Desktop/Files/File 08.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 09.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 10.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 04.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 05.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 11.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 07.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 13.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 12.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 06.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 02.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 16.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 17.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 03.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 15.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 01.txt
~/Desktop/Files/File 14.txt
It seems to be related to APFS, because when I put the folder on an external HFS+ volume, the list was sorted correctly. Does anyone have any idea what’s causing this? And is there anything to do about it besides reporting it to Apple?

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
The order of files returned by some APIs is undefined, but some software incorrectly presumes it is sorted in whatever way, which is no longer the case in High Sierra, even for HFS+ allegedly.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
In High Sierra's Notes, is there a way to change the lowercase A back to its previous style, as it still is in the glyph selector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Triglav posted:

In High Sierra's Notes, is there a way to change the lowercase A back to its previous style, as it still is in the glyph selector?

It's part of the particular font, I think. Can you change that?

e: manually yes but it doesn't change the default for new notes.