Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

S+ now has so much stuff that I'm pretty certain that 90% of its features will never be in the base game. The pulling mechanic and being able to pick up placed structures might get implemented in the base game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Colapops posted:

I'm surprised Wildcard hasn't integrated S+ yet, tbh. Weren't they talking about doing that at some point?
Not counting maps, their last "integration" was a real shitshow, worse than the original in every way.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Colapops posted:

I'm surprised Wildcard hasn't integrated S+ yet, tbh. Weren't they talking about doing that at some point?

They were, yes. Not sure when/if it will happen, though. I hope they integrate it soon. It will hopefully be more stable and I never liked the idea of "put it down and its down forever".

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.
Looks like the "pull" issue has been resolved with the S+ stuff for the most part. Still having issues with S+ fridges, though. If I stack them, I can't access the fridge on top. All I have is a "Lock" or "Unlock" option.

Getting closer, but dammit, its annoying.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Useless poo poo I learned: Going around in god mode to read the dino dossiers gives you the items. They're attached to the cheevos not the mode, my life is a lie.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
For the more solo/rp type players, have a nice large pen build guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWZxlkz9IIQ

wit
Jul 26, 2011
So from the new area released on Ragnarok, its multilayered desert area where the top is scorching hot but underneath in the cracks its all trees and rivers and stuff. I'm guessing they'll be using Ragnarok for a while as the melting pot of all the DLCs which is cool and good as hell, but it will also mean Rag wont be finished any time before the next expansion. If they're giving each type of terrain even share the aberration stuff will take the middle. I hope to christ they work out the bugs soon because i've seen 2 flying penis horses and several deep swimming dilos. Area looks so easy to raid even with existing kit from a bird but top is flat enough to build on on top.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The creators of Ragnarok recently said that they'd mine Aberration for nice looking rock assets etc, but they wouldn't be implementing any new mechanics or biomes that Aberration might have. I guess they want to protect the brand new DLC against being redundant almost immediately. Looks like someone else will have to make another master map that includes all the Aberration stuff as well. (Probably just before a new piece of DLC launches with brand new stuff which that map wont have either, for the same reasons :v:)

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gunder posted:

The creators of Ragnarok recently said that they'd mine Aberration for nice looking rock assets etc, but they wouldn't be implementing any new mechanics or biomes that Aberration might have. I guess they want to protect the brand new DLC against being redundant almost immediately. Looks like someone else will have to make another master map that includes all the Aberration stuff as well. (Probably just before a new piece of DLC launches with brand new stuff which that map wont have either, for the same reasons :v:)

Odd, but there's definitely going to be at least some kind of utility of the Aberration stuff on that part of the map. Its a little underground cave biome with ceilings but you can't survive long on the surface. If its not going to be a service to the new dlc its a good impression of it. The carno to herbivore ratio feels like a medium spawn, but unless they add a new resource I can't see any strategic advantage of settling in what's essentially a beach with a hat.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

wit posted:

Odd, but there's definitely going to be at least some kind of utility of the Aberration stuff on that part of the map. Its a little underground cave biome with ceilings but you can't survive long on the surface. If its not going to be a service to the new dlc its a good impression of it. The carno to herbivore ratio feels like a medium spawn, but unless they add a new resource I can't see any strategic advantage of settling in what's essentially a beach with a hat.

It sounds like the desert answer to the murder snow more than anything.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Are the optimization issues really that bad? I've been interested in playing this game and saw today that it's $30 on Steam.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Bloopsy posted:

Are the optimization issues really that bad? I've been interested in playing this game and saw today that it's $30 on Steam.

Ark is the only game that's ever made my ups produce an overvoltage alert. It literally drew more power from my UPS than it could deliver over a sustained period of time.

I've played bad games, I've played badly designed games, I've played Bad Rats. I've never had anything else trip my UPS like that, though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

Last winter I used my PC as a supplementary heater for my room by playing ARK. Hope that helps.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Warmachine posted:

Last winter I used my PC as a supplementary heater for my room by playing ARK. Hope that helps.

I'll be moving on then.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Bloopsy posted:

I'll be moving on then.

Ok, gently caress the tech, anecdotal specs time.
Its not as spazzy as people talk if you're realistic. I bought a gaming rig last year - a budget one, assembled aka made for games to run on ultra 3 years ago plus probably 75% idiot tax - for like a grand in pounds. It runs it at medium settings perfect, high if I solo. So if you spent more than that in the last 5 years it'll run. And if you're playing it you will never play it on super pretty settings. You'll run with goons at lower settings, because if you render trees first while flying through the air then you can't see pubbies to bully and you'll be told to downgrade your settings even if you have a space age computer. My old rig could run watchdogs as the sad, sad reason i bought it. This at medium ran well and I had fun. It has been optimized, but never run it at the best quality. If you run it at anything over medium (as no streams or youtube videos do) you're at a disadvantage.

Its as optimized as second life when it was a thing was, they just added sliders like them and said sure its super real. They don't care if it cooks you hotter than the sun. Run medium, where you can see people, where you can shoot fuckers almost like an fps. It looks great too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

I'll be moving on then.

It's not a downside if you live in the frozen north.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There's an awesome bug where you can spawn on anyone's bed (273.62). Of course this has caused a massive shitstorm, as turrets don't seem to recognise non-tribe members when they spawn in on the bed.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

You Am I posted:

There's an awesome bug where you can spawn on anyone's bed (273.62). Of course this has caused a massive shitstorm, as turrets don't seem to recognise non-tribe members when they spawn in on the bed.

Even if they fix the spawn on anyone's bed thing, that is very interesting to know about turret AI and what flags you in world as part of a tribe.

Yamacruiser
Sep 28, 2011

I am the one who knocks!
I rented an Xbox server from nitrado if anyone here still plays. Only 10 slots for now but will expand as needed.

Sever name - [US] Arkaholics Anonymous
Ragnarok pvp
2x exp & harvest
3x taming
5x egg hatch
15x mature
2x loot quality

Message Yamacruiser on xbox for password or any other questions.

PartTimeNinja
Jul 15, 2017

Aberration december 12th. The D.E.A. will be scouting the map on release.
From what we hear though you can only bring characters to the new map.
You can't bring items and tames with you.
So, having a 100+ character to bring with will be beneficial.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Bleh... anyone know how long the sale is going to last? Even with the discount it's like 60 bucks with the DLCs. I'm wavering.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

7c Nickel posted:

Bleh... anyone know how long the sale is going to last? Even with the discount it's like 60 bucks with the DLCs. I'm wavering.

I recently picked it up with this sale and decided to pass on the DLC bundle, figuring by the time I’ve gotten my fill of the base game the DLC might be on sale later. I think the sale lasts through tomorrow only though.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Siets posted:

I recently picked it up with this sale and decided to pass on the DLC bundle, figuring by the time I’ve gotten my fill of the base game the DLC might be on sale later. I think the sale lasts through tomorrow only though.

Well like, if you're playing with goons you can absolutely play on the main island forever and use the toys they bring back from the other arks. Haven't played in a while (will probably jump in again for abberation) but I expect all the servers are end game now and the gates are being guarded or blocked. Playing straight after the new server rollout, every server you played on the island that didn't have a coherent alpha always had at least one dick on a wyvern or griffin attacking beach bobs, so the dlc is kind of pay to win. That said, if you're playing without a tribe there is no win state. But its a satisfyingly unique experience of home invasion of its own. When playing solo even while at work I'd have little moments of fox news paranoia that some foreign fucker is breaking into my home and interfering with my avatar because I'm not there. Almost always well founded too. Can't sleep. Chinese will eat me. Can't sleep. Chinese will eat me.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That scenario literally just happened to my friend and I’s humble little thatch hut last night at around 4am. :shobon:

The game is great fun in a bizarre and endearing way. It is quite unique.

e: live transcript that woke me up last night

Siets fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 25, 2017

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I do actually have a question about the game. I've noticed that a majority of servers I have tried have severe rubber band lag issues. The one server I found that did not have this problem was an Extinction server that apparently resets fairly often. Are there servers out there that do not have rubber band lag issues in combat that aren't Extinction? I am wondering if after a long enough time has elapsed there are just too many player buildings and the servers start to implode with lag?

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

Siets posted:

I do actually have a question about the game. I've noticed that a majority of servers I have tried have severe rubber band lag issues. The one server I found that did not have this problem was an Extinction server that apparently resets fairly often. Are there servers out there that do not have rubber band lag issues in combat that aren't Extinction? I am wondering if after a long enough time has elapsed there are just too many player buildings and the servers start to implode with lag?

There’s rubber banding on essentially all the servers even those with single digit populations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Siets posted:

I am wondering if after a long enough time has elapsed there are just too many player buildings and the servers start to implode with lag?
Garbage accumulating is a big part of it. Unofficial servers that wipe often, limit tames, limit building, and/or increase decay have less of an issue.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 26, 2017

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Yeah I've seen videos of stripmined bald islands, and heard of alpha tribes so obnoxious that their builds all over the island lag everyone within even slight draw distance. I kinda hoped that backend and pc's would have caught up with the scale of the game, but really ark's premise is let everyone do everything ever, see what happens.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Like heres one of the mods meant to reduce pollution http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=894364745

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've also heard stories of glitchy spawns out in the water with like hundreds of creatures

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've also heard stories of glitchy spawns out in the water with like hundreds of creatures

I know that when they were expanding Ragnarok the spawns were nuts.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Siets posted:

3 years after release, they finally got actual tracing and performance testing tools, and learned that no poo poo, having 500+ autoturrets and another 500 species X turrets all in render and running the AI logic every tick causes the server to completely poo poo itself. Like 500-700+ms per tick, just on that code. So yeah, server running at a generous 1-2 FPS would cause the server to lag like a son of a bitch.

So instead of coming out with a solution that supports the current 'huge metal box covered in 800 turrets' meta to defend against anyone with a steggo and a stack of C4 from wrecking your poo poo, they up and announce that any time more than 100 turrets are in render range of each-other will just stop working.

Like holy poo poo, it's not hard to have more than one kind of autogun with different strengths and balances, seriously.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

3 years after release, they finally got actual tracing and performance testing tools, and learned that no poo poo, having 500+ autoturrets and another 500 species X turrets all in render and running the AI logic every tick causes the server to completely poo poo itself. Like 500-700+ms per tick, just on that code. So yeah, server running at a generous 1-2 FPS would cause the server to lag like a son of a bitch.

So instead of coming out with a solution that supports the current 'huge metal box covered in 800 turrets' meta to defend against anyone with a steggo and a stack of C4 from wrecking your poo poo, they up and announce that any time more than 100 turrets are in render range of each-other will just stop working.

Like holy poo poo, it's not hard to have more than one kind of autogun with different strengths and balances, seriously.

Uh, I haven't played in a while but my experience with PVP in this game makes me assume that now the meta is to intentionally put hundreds of turrets on a platform saddle and move it to the enemy base to stop their turrets from firing due to too many in the area.

Which is... bad and dumb.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Surely the smart thing would be any AI ploppables doing the same thing in range of something have a single AI rule and makes them just actors. You could even make it in world an give the guns a master computer or the plant x some kind of queen and you could make up rules for them. That AI would make sense for a lot of groups of the dinos wild and owned too. Someone comes into conflict with one and it takes over as its own thing maybe. Deffo with ploppables like plant x and guns. Sure there would be exploits found, but could they be any more stupid than hiding behind dropped indestructible item satchels or holding and pointing a dodo like its your hostage?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I'm brand new to the game and still just getting a handle on how things work past stone tier, but I have to imagine there are going to be other solutions to the Steggo + C4 problem than just turrets? Just spitballing but:

-Powerful tamed dinos roaming the perimeter on aggressive
-Extra wall layers / maze structures to increase the C4 requirement
-Strategic placement of rocket turrets

At a certain point, I don't really think a base should be able to automatically defend itself at all hours of the day with zero player interaction either. Unkillable alpha tribes indicate to me that once a server has become established, that's it - the game is over for that server. It discourages new players from wanting to join and try their luck. I don't see that as good gameplay design overall, but I've also never partaken in an end game raid so I don't really have a grasp on how realistic it is to truly overtake an existing alpha tribe.

These giant clusterfuck bases are clearly killing performance too. It's cool that goons have an insane empire, but it melts my GTX 1080 system down to an 8FPS slideshow of an experience. It's the only game where I can hear my GPU's fans while wearing my noise canceling headphones. Even outside the base there is constant rubber-banding with everything else on the map. Not saying turret nerfing is the only solution to this, far from it, but I am glad they are at least taking steps to address it.

Siets fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 28, 2017

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Siets posted:

-Powerful tamed dinos roaming the perimeter on aggressive

Nah, you can't do that, because the first time they aggro a brontosaurus it'll come tail swipe every structure in your base to death.

Also they'll end up fixating on a dodo and wandering out to sea to drown.

Also you can't give them a path to roam if you set them to wander they'll walk half the map away and fall into the wyvern trench.

Basically all dinosaurs are essentially useless for base defense of any kind.

That whole system could probably use a rework and this is probably a good first step in the right direction.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hah wow. For all the things the AI gets right in this game, that sure is lovely that dinos can’t be used for base defense.

So wandering really only works if you entirely pen your area. At first I thought “ok, just make a pen around the island” but then a determined enemy player could just knock down a part of the outer wall and the dinos would proceed to own themselves shortly thereafter. :(

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just hopped back into this to gently caress around for a few weeks. Once I get a decent stable of dinos it won't be a problem obviously, but have they STILL never put in a solution for mass spoiling meat?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What do you mean by mass spoiling meat?

I learned last night you can do Split All on a stack of meat to speed up that process greatly if you want spoiled meat for narcos. The flip side is also true where you can keep everything in stacks to greatly reduce spoilage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh snap. Is Split All an option on right click now?