Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just got done hacking my DSi using the guide someone posted in this thread. It was the funniest loving hack ever and I have been modding consoles since the PS1 days. You had to have Flipnote Studio installed (thankfully I did) but then you had to add these files to the SD card, load them into Flipnote Studio, and copy and paste them exactly 122 times. Not 121, and not 123. 122. Then you had to exit the program and the hack would work. I don't know why I found it so loving funny but I was laughing my rear end off when it worked. I guess just the absurdity of it. My 2nd favorite hack ever was the original Wii hack where it loaded when you jumped off of Epona or something in Twilight Princess.

Anyway after doing the hack I learned that there was nothing else to do but wait. The actual hack isn't even out yet. All I did was get my DSi down to an exploitable firmware.

I hope the hack coming out doesn't require an eShop purchase because Nintendo got rid of the DSi e-shop earlier this year.

Anyway the only thing I want the hack for is to be able to play Zelda 4 Swords on my DSi XL with big beautiful pixels like God intended

Zenostein posted:

Thanks for this, though.

You're welcome. It's the first time I ever wrote a guide like that so let me know if anything is confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My 2nd favorite hack ever was the original Wii hack where it loaded when you jumped off of Epona or something in Twilight Princess.
The original TP hack was a save file with a "name" so long that it triggered a buffer overflow when you talked to a NPC who tried to say your name, so you could just play that save file totally as normal and pretend that nothing was weird and then suddenly talk to a dude and HAK UR WII

it was pretty great

e: also what the hell, does that link on the last page say native support on a 3DS for any GBA ROM I want? :eyepop:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: also what the hell, does that link on the last page say native support on a 3DS for any GBA ROM I want? :eyepop:

Basically, yeah. Nobody is quite sure why Nintendo never did it officially, outside of the 10 they released for the Ambassador Program (which was essentially an apology to early adopters of the 3DS who bought before the price dropped by $80, only 6 months after the initial release.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I didn't realize that the Ambassador Program's existence implied how trivial it would be to, for instance, put FFV on something with a better backlight than my GBA-001.

...I should probably hack something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

m2pt5 posted:

Basically, yeah. Nobody is quite sure why Nintendo never did it officially, outside of the 10 they released for the Ambassador Program (which was essentially an apology to early adopters of the 3DS who bought before the price dropped by $80, only 6 months after the initial release.)

I think Nintendo didn’t release those or more to buy because they didn’t like how you have to boot into a separate mode without access to the 3DS UI and the 3DS probably wasn’t powerful enough to emulate them their liking so they just scrapped it.

Native GBA rules and is my favorite thing about 3DS homebrew. It absolutely owns to be able to play the fan translation of Mother 3 natively.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't realize that the Ambassador Program's existence implied how trivial it would be to, for instance, put FFV on something with a better backlight than my GBA-001.
The only catch is, there's an extra bit of firmware that got installed alongside the Ambassador Program's files, which was the GBA firmware, and new 3DSes don't come with it. (Luma takes care of that, though.)

SeANMcBAY posted:

Native GBA rules and is my favorite thing about 3DS homebrew. It absolutely owns to be able to play the fan translation of Mother 3 natively.
It is indeed awesome. It's a shame there are a handful of games that will never work 100% right, though. (That being those with additional hardware in the cart, like Warioware Twisted, Yoshi Topsy-Turvy [or Universal Gravitation, depending on region], Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble, and Boktai.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There’s also some weird screen burn-in issues with games like the GBA F-Zero series but they’re fine if you play them with a filter enabled.

Shame the other games can’t work. I have an emulator on my phone just to play WarioWare Twisted and it’s amazing. Nintendo could honestly release that game pretty much unchanged on mobile and it would work.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s also some weird screen burn-in issues with games like the GBA F-Zero series but they’re fine if you play them with a filter enabled.

I would absolutely love the technical explanation for this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No one knows for sure, but there are certain modes or ways in which things can be displayed on a 3ds screen that make pixels stick.

I have witnessed it first hand, not on a gba game, but playing emulated nes Tetris way back when the 3ds was first hacked.

It’s not technically burn in, it’s not 100% stuck pixels. AFAIK no one knows for sure what it really is.

Basically whatever causes it causes pixels to get stuck for quite a long time. I spent a day or so panicking that I had ruined my (at the time) new 3ds by hacking it. It magically fixed itself after a while though.

It happens so inconsistently, and is not permanent so I don’t think there has been a ton of effort to investigate.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

It probably depends on which type of screen the 3DS in question has as well. I get a similar effect (temporary burn-in) on my PC monitor if I have parts of the screen unchanged for an extended period of time. (It's not a CRT.)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's why I bought a bootleg cart copy :cool: Feels even better to play on an actual GBA.

I should throw the extra carts I have on SA-Mart, they'd make good Christmas presents for people.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Have any of you messed with Animal Crossing: New Leaf save editors? I just want to change my character’s face but won’t bother if it gets me banned from online or corrupts my save or something.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I did, and it was fine. The JK editor or whatever it's called that can export your save is good, just make a couple of backups and then go to town with the editor. It lets you do a lot of "illegal" (in the game sense) stuff, but I just used it to move someone's house and change their dumb shirt. It was an easy process.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Is it possible to use an external HDD and on your computer at the same time? I heard there was some new tech that allowed that but I might've misheard.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Stink Terios posted:

Is it possible to use an external HDD and on your computer at the same time? I heard there was some new tech that allowed that but I might've misheard.

What?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Look up wbfs2fat

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Welp, looks like I ate some words on my post. I'm talking about the Wii U :v:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Stink Terios posted:

Welp, looks like I ate some words on my post. I'm talking about the Wii U :v:

If you're taking about a hard drive you use for storing Wii U games, then no.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I wish there was a way you could have both a Wii/GameCube hard drive and a WiiU hard drive plugged in at the same time. Or a single hard drive that supports both. That would be awesome.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I wish there was a way you could have both a Wii/GameCube hard drive and a WiiU hard drive plugged in at the same time. Or a single hard drive that supports both. That would be awesome.

I mean, you could just use injections of them into WUPs. Wii ones work great, I've had issues with gamecube ones, but a 64 GB SD card makes up for that.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Can't you put the vWii one in the back and use that UStealth thing to remove format nag on boot?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Keito posted:

Can't you put the vWii one in the back and use that UStealth thing to remove format nag on boot?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

WilliamAnderson posted:

I mean, you could just use injections of them into WUPs. Wii ones work great, I've had issues with gamecube ones, but a 64 GB SD card makes up for that.

Wow, these posts just showed how out of date I am with the Wii U stuff. The only thing I know about my setup is that I did something with my Mario 64 DS VC game that turned it into a haxchii logo, and when I click it, it says it's loading MochaCFW. However looking at the GBATemp guide, it specifically says that MochaCFW is for people who don't want to use a DS VC title to launch it :psyduck:

Should I just start this whole thing over from scratch? Or is it trivial to remove MochaCFW and switch to CBHC?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Wow, these posts just showed how out of date I am with the Wii U stuff. The only thing I know about my setup is that I did something with my Mario 64 DS VC game that turned it into a haxchii logo, and when I click it, it says it's loading MochaCFW. However looking at the GBATemp guide, it specifically says that MochaCFW is for people who don't want to use a DS VC title to launch it :psyduck:

Should I just start this whole thing over from scratch? Or is it trivial to remove MochaCFW and switch to CBHC?

Well you have the option of using MochaCFW or Haxchi FW via Haxchi. If Mocha is already set up right (you can run the homebrew channel launcher/other things installed via wupinstaller) there's not much of a reason to change it? Someone else who knows more could answer this one.

CBHC just makes the wii u run haxchi when it boots after being shut off instead of running the system menu. Haxchi then runs Haxchi FW or something else (MochaCFW) and that boots into the patched system menu

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is only Nintendo-adjacent, but I’m hoping this thread has the answer. Cross posted from the retro thread:

My local meijer has all these cool looking retro portables for $20 or $30 depending on the model. A very cursory google says they’re filled with knock off and public domain games.

I’m wondering if these can be hacked to run real 8 or 16 bit roms? I’m a sucker for the handheld form factor (especially the GBA and DMG formfactors) and color screen but it’s not really worth the cost unless they can run real games.

Anyone know about these or know if they’re hackable? Google is weirdly returning forum posts from 2005, so I’m guessing these share a name with a different system?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I tried the second and third one of those and the buttons are some of the worst I’ve ever used on a handheld. I’m not sure you’d want to play roms on those even if it was possible.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

havenwaters posted:

Well you have the option of using MochaCFW or Haxchi FW via Haxchi. If Mocha is already set up right (you can run the homebrew channel launcher/other things installed via wupinstaller) there's not much of a reason to change it? Someone else who knows more could answer this one.

CBHC just makes the wii u run haxchi when it boots after being shut off instead of running the system menu. Haxchi then runs Haxchi FW or something else (MochaCFW) and that boots into the patched system menu

Thank you for all this. Yeah I guess I just wanted CBHC so it boots instantly.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is only Nintendo-adjacent, but I’m hoping this thread has the answer. Cross posted from the retro thread:

My local meijer has all these cool looking retro portables for $20 or $30 depending on the model. A very cursory google says they’re filled with knock off and public domain games.

I’m wondering if these can be hacked to run real 8 or 16 bit roms? I’m a sucker for the handheld form factor (especially the GBA and DMG formfactors) and color screen but it’s not really worth the cost unless they can run real games.

Anyone know about these or know if they’re hackable? Google is weirdly returning forum posts from 2005, so I’m guessing these share a name with a different system?

OK this is hilarious because I just bought the mini arcade cabinet one yesterday while I was at Target because they had them for $8 there (looked like they were clearing them out).

The weird thing I noticed was how much I love the screen. I expected one of those deals where everything is running at the wrong aspect ratio and wrong resolution but no, it's oddly great looking. I wish I could explain exactly what I mean but it's razor sharp and low resolution in a good way. Reminds me of the GBA Micro screen even though it's bigger, if that makes sense.

I can crack it open sometime next week and see if there's a USB port somewhere or something

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

k

They can’t.

From what I can tell these are running Onebus VT03 hardware, a weird NOAC variant that is graphically superior but no evidence it runs NES roms. Plus there is no chance it has removable storage or an easy way to add storage.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 5, 2017

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I did some more research and turns out it IS sort of possible to use a FAT32 drive on the Wii U, but all implementantions are janky WIPs with a lot of problems, which is why it's so hard to find.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
So we know the 3DS has, inside its DS hardware, what's needed to run GBA games natively. Does the DSi (XL) possess that same hardware? I know it has no GBA slot, but with the DSi CFW that may release soon, is there a possibility we'll be able to play GBA games natively? Really interested in that big screen.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

WilliamAnderson posted:

How do I do this? Do you inject them yourself or download them premade?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Olivil posted:

So we know the 3DS has, inside its DS hardware, what's needed to run GBA games natively.

Not really, it just has an optional bit of firmware (AGB_FIRM) that lets it run GBA games. (Luma and other CFWs generally take care of that now, though.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Olivil posted:

So we know the 3DS has, inside its DS hardware, what's needed to run GBA games natively. Does the DSi (XL) possess that same hardware? I know it has no GBA slot, but with the DSi CFW that may release soon, is there a possibility we'll be able to play GBA games natively? Really interested in that big screen.

Holy poo poo this would be awesome

Fun fact, all DSi XLs have dual IPS screens.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

m2pt5 posted:

Not really, it just has an optional bit of firmware (AGB_FIRM) that lets it run GBA games. (Luma and other CFWs generally take care of that now, though.)

It does though. The DS architecture kept the GBA hardware, and so did the 3DS as well for backwards compatibility with DS software.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Holy poo poo this would be awesome

Fun fact, all DSi XLs have dual IPS screens.

Really? That’s disappointing that Nintendo cheaped out on that for 3DS and only a random selection of those got IPS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait, a CFW for the DSi is coming? In what is nearly 2018?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Really? That’s disappointing that Nintendo cheaped out on that for 3DS and only a random selection of those got IPS.

Yup. I returned my snes edition to Amazon. I'm not paying $200 for a shittier screen than my launch unit.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait, a CFW for the DSi is coming? In what is nearly 2018?

It's not out yet exactly. Ask me about how I felt after spending two hours downgrading the firmware only for the guide to suddenly end.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What does the cfw bring that a flash card doesn’t already do? Or is the point to skip the flash card?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

We might finally be able to install Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition to a fresh DSi.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What does the cfw bring that a flash card doesn’t already do? Or is the point to skip the flash card?

Native GBA would be a big one that’s worth it.

Yup. I returned my snes edition to Amazon. I'm not paying $200 for a shittier screen than my launch unit.

I lucked out and my launch N3DSXL has it. I know people in the main 3DS thread act like it’s crazy to care if it’s IPS but it’s such a huge upgrade from the lovely TN screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want a dsi xl now even though I have a 3ds and a ds lite. What is wrong with me, thread?