Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Deadfire beta:

Have people tried multiclassing two spellcaster classes? With how long a lot of spells take to cast it doesn't necessarily seem like a great idea, but I'm kinda curious about it.
The closest thing to a double caster multiclass I've tried is a Wizard/Cipher focusing on self-buffs. That plays more like a lovely Wizard/Rogue, though, partially because I used the Ascendant subclass and that seems to straight up not work right now. At the very least I don't know what an Ascendant's maximum Focus is, but I have definitely never reached it. Probably should have gone Soulblade but at that point you're not really treating the Cipher half of the multiclass as a caster anymore.
I might try a Lifegiver Druid combined with some Wizard subclass at some point but I'll need to look into the different spells more. And I also really want to try a 5 Ranger party.

Also, has anyone ever had a character get injured and not hit the rest button immediately? The injury mechanic seems to not do anything right now beyond use up food, which seems virtually impossible to run out of anyway.

e: Oh, and after playing the beta for a bit I'm glad the party size was decreased. I was never outright opposed to it since I think party-based RPGs can be fine with any party size from 3 to 10+, but with new subsystems added and all it's definitely a good change.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

e: Oh, and after playing the beta for a bit I'm glad the party size was decreased. I was never outright opposed to it since I think party-based RPGs can be fine with any party size from 3 to 10+, but with new subsystems added and all it's definitely a good change.

I don't mind it just because with my 6 man parties I tend to get lazy with 1 or 2 guys in the party and just have them set as more self sufficient characters anyways. Like I always want a Ranger in my parties because they're a good reliable damage dealer that requires little fuss to get solid dps out of them.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't mind it just because with my 6 man parties I tend to get lazy with 1 or 2 guys in the party and just have them set as more self sufficient characters anyways. Like I always want a Ranger in my parties because they're a good reliable damage dealer that requires little fuss to get solid dps out of them.
That was usually Edér for me, who I generally built as some half-tank, half-DPS guy that just ran into a few enemies to hold down a flank.

In some fights, especially with more caster-heavy parties, there were also often just a lot of spells and other effects going off, and just having less people on the screen helps with visual clarity as well. Although the beta doesn't really have anything on the level of the PoE1 Xaurip bounty either. Which may be due to changed encounter design. Massive spell alpha strikes being toned down/impossible due to casting times also helps.

e:
Bug report: I've seen Xaurip Champions completely freeze (including their animation) when they try to use Lay on Hands but I kill their target before it resolves twice now.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 27, 2017

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, that general AI bug is the cause of freezing/suicides and is currently in the bug queue but not yet fixed.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, has anyone ever had a character get injured and not hit the rest button immediately? The injury mechanic seems to not do anything right now beyond use up food, which seems virtually impossible to run out of anyway.
The injury mechanic is designed to consume food, which, if you are using food for rest bonuses, becomes a more compelling reason to keep playing with injuries. It is designed to be relatively low-pressure when you're playing at lower difficulties and a bigger deal at higher difficulties where the food items are more vital to gaining a statistical edge.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

The injury mechanic is designed to consume food, which, if you are using food for rest bonuses, becomes a more compelling reason to keep playing with injuries. It is designed to be relatively low-pressure when you're playing at lower difficulties and a bigger deal at higher difficulties where the food items are more vital to gaining a statistical edge.
I definitely don't use food for stat buffs enough so I usually don't lose anything by resting, but right now I don't see any food bonus make up for the HP penalty alone. Enemies are pretty smart about going after vulnerable targets when they can and damage swings can be huge (a random generic Lagufaeth can crit for 50+ damage with Necrotic Lance etc.), there's no way I'm walking around with an injury penalty as it is now. Maybe if the character that gets knocked out is a caster that stays in the back, but usually it's a squishier melee character that really shouldn't start any fight with less than max HP.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah the HP penalty is pretty brutal and more or less calls for an insta-rest. Standard injuries like you got in PoE1 gave a malus that you could cope with to a reasonable extent and soldier on.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
In PoE1 it was a recurring issue that if a character got hit bad enough to get knocked out, it inevitably meant they were gonna keep getting knocked out because something made the enemies target said character in the first place and an injury certainly doesn't make them a less juicy target. Usually it was the squishiest melee character, except early on in my first playthrough on Hard where it was Pallegina as my tank because she didn't have enough Deflection/tank-y talents and abilities yet, and so when she did successfully get the enemy's attention she'd just buckle too fast to keep up with.

Humorously, it's been comparatively easy to stay alive on my PotD Wizard solo playthrough so far. It was a bit of a struggle pre-Caed Nua and immediately afterwards, but at the moment I'm only just level 7 and between summons, Hardened Veil and self-buffs my Deflection is high enough to barely ever get hit unless I expend all my resources and have to get in a slugging match to finish a fight. Anything that attacks Fortitude is my one weakness so far but other than knock-downs - where the enemies can't hit me during it anyway - there's been surprisingly few attacks against fortitude that don't require a vs Deflection hit first, thus far (except loving Necrotic Lance, is bullshit I tell you).

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, this just happened when I reloaded my current save:

I guess next time I'll just quit the game when I notice more glitches than usual instead of playing on for an hour. :v:

Kinda feel like it's time for a new party after that. Maybe I'll try that Lifegiver/Wizard after all.
And I read something about Beckoners being good? I have a really hard time not rolling a WILDRHYMER every time.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Beckoners are easy mode right now because their summons weren't really tuned so you can just flood the battlefield with insane skeleton armies.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

easy mode right now
insane skeleton armies
I'm so conflicted.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there a trick to getting Gsync working in Pillars 1? Scrolling is ridiculously stuttery.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

victrix posted:

Is there a trick to getting Gsync working in Pillars 1? Scrolling is ridiculously stuttery.

I don't think I encountered any issues, but tips that apply to other Unity games probably work for pillars.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cheston posted:

I don't think I encountered any issues, but tips that apply to other Unity games probably work for pillars.

Two seconds of googling found it right after I posted this, sorry :cripes:

Fix was launching with '-force-opengl'

Smooth as butter now :toot:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Does that fix some tooltips vibrating in PoE1? I'd show you what I mean but, uh... taking a screenshot of something moving doesn't work well. It looks blurry and has some shake to it (up and down).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Prism posted:

Does that fix some tooltips vibrating in PoE1? I'd show you what I mean but, uh... taking a screenshot of something moving doesn't work well. It looks blurry and has some shake to it (up and down).

I know exactly what you mean because I just ran into it - the FIRST (and only first) spell on each characters quick spell list looks like it's superimposed on itself. Really distracting. Only seems to affect those first slots so far at least though.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

I definitely don't use food for stat buffs enough so I usually don't lose anything by resting, but right now I don't see any food bonus make up for the HP penalty alone. Enemies are pretty smart about going after vulnerable targets when they can and damage swings can be huge (a random generic Lagufaeth can crit for 50+ damage with Necrotic Lance etc.), there's no way I'm walking around with an injury penalty as it is now. Maybe if the character that gets knocked out is a caster that stays in the back, but usually it's a squishier melee character that really shouldn't start any fight with less than max HP.

Yeah, I'm currently having difficulty imagining what bonus could be worth %25-75 less HP; even with something crazy like +5 Might or what-have-you that'd be a risky proposition. Plus, if someone with a truly vital bonus got injured I'd probably just reload, that's certainly what I did whenever I got hit with a trap in the beta. I love the idea of using food instead of camping supplies, btw, I just think the HP debuff is a bit much right now.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Injuries are also stupidly strong when you can apply them to enemies via traps.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

victrix posted:

I know exactly what you mean because I just ran into it - the FIRST (and only first) spell on each characters quick spell list looks like it's superimposed on itself. Really distracting. Only seems to affect those first slots so far at least though.

This is happening to me too. Sometimes it fixes itself when you mouse away and back again, and other times it doesnt.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Has anyone unlocked the final level of the soulbound hat? It requires you to "drink a beverage in every bar in the Eastern reach". I'm pretty sure I've bought and consumed one drink at every inn in the game (Gilded Vale, Dyrford, Copperlane, Brackenbury, both in Ondra's Gift, Twin Elms, even Stalwart for good measure) but nothing happened. I'll try it again in case I missed one. I might have misinterpreted what it meant, but I can't imagine anything other than "consume a drink inside the inn" or "buy a drink from the innkeeper and consume that drink while still inside the inn"

E: never mind, I evidently got distracted when I went to the Salty Mast to do this before :downs:

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 28, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Octo1 posted:

Injuries are also stupidly strong when you can apply them to enemies via traps.

traps being useful is actually really cool

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

traps being useful is actually really cool

Yes, but they're a little too good now. Placing a trap makes noise so enemies are automatically attracted to it, so you walk away (in stealth) wait for an enemy to trigger it, then repeat this 3 more times to kill the enemy without ever starting combat. There would be locations and enemies this wouldn't be viable, but for most others it would be overwhelming. At the very least traps should be limited to only the first tier of injuries (-25% health + permanent debuff would still be very good).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You can add custom classes! It's a hell of a lot of work but you can get it to appear as a selection, plus you can name what the crossclasses are named. The only problem is I can't think of any possible base class that isn't just a variant of the existing classes.

The much more reasonable thing to do is to add subclasses (is what what they're called?). I'm working on making a weird Sorcerer class that gains multiple empowers per encounter. Disadvantage TBD.

Octo1 posted:

Yes, but they're a little too good now. Placing a trap makes noise so enemies are automatically attracted to it, so you walk away (in stealth) wait for an enemy to trigger it, then repeat this 3 more times to kill the enemy without ever starting combat. There would be locations and enemies this wouldn't be viable, but for most others it would be overwhelming. At the very least traps should be limited to only the first tier of injuries (-25% health + permanent debuff would still be very good).

huh

somehow still less broken than bg2 traps though :colbert:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't know if it's too late for this and if it's actually down to me/my monitor or a complaint people would agree with, but the attribute icons, while very pretty, get very difficulty to read while scaled down in the tooltips.

Take for example, the perception icon. It's not just an eye, but there's swirly stuff around it, which makes it surprisingly busy when it's a tiny icon, though it's nice to look in the scripted interactions success screens.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/935573319121649664

Huh.

I'm torn. One the one hand, I like making resolve a more active stat. Purely defencive stats never really sit right with me, and Pillars had two of them.

... but going to the model of "might strength is for weapons and resolve is for spells" is... off-putting to me. I liked the universality of stats quite a bit. I'm also curious if resolve affects the second wind that athletics gives you.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

The Crotch posted:

Huh.

I'm torn. One the one hand, I like making resolve a more active stat. Purely defencive stats never really sit right with me, and Pillars had two of them.

... but going to the model of "might strength is for weapons and resolve is for spells" is... off-putting to me. I liked the universality of stats quite a bit. I'm also curious if resolve affects the second wind that athletics gives you.

Huh. Huh.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Huh indeed.
Did the people yelling that PoE needs to copy everything from DnD finally start getting to Ropekid, or something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Aaaaargh

It's like every single change to the game mechanics is being chosen to indirectly rump-prong ciphers

"Look, you can have a stat to help you gain focus, or a stat to help you spend it. Not both."

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Crotch posted:

I'm also curious if resolve affects the second wind that athletics gives you.
It will affect any healing that originates from you (other than from potions), so yes. It would affect Lay on Hands, Second Wind, Constant Recovery, Holy Radiance, etc.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i'm all for that change, woo

this also helps dual classes from becoming too uber. If you can be great at magic and fighting equally good why wouldn't you cram everything into might?

when you could only be one class, having "raw power" abstracted as a single stat made sense, but now that you can be a battlemage you have to actually choose which one you're good at

now that spell damage and healing are based on resolve, the name "resolve" makes no sense

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Crotch posted:

Huh.

Yeah. Huh. I liked that in general, every stat was fairly useful for everyone, but anyone who doesn't use primary weapons that much now really doesn't have any reason to put any points into Str. Huh.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Aaaaargh

It's like every single change to the game mechanics is being chosen to indirectly rump-prong ciphers

"Look, you can have a stat to help you gain focus, or a stat to help you spend it. Not both."
Yeah, and gish characters in general. But with sweeping changes like this, they're still clearly working on major, major balance changes so who knows, maybe they'll take the base power effects into account. Or somehow include Resolve into the damage equation when accounting for Soul Whip's effect, for instance. Also, Per still exists as a stat that helps you gain and spend Focus, and works pretty thematically with Ciphers as investigators to boot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

i'm all for that change, woo

this also helps dual classes from becoming too uber. If you can be great at magic and fighting equally good why wouldn't you cram everything into might?

when you could only be one class, having "raw power" abstracted as a single stat made sense, but now that you can be a battlemage you have to actually choose which one you're good at

now that spell damage and healing are based on resolve, the name "resolve" makes no sense

Hybrids are already limited by ability selection.

The problem for ciphers is you need weapon damage to gain focus to cast. This breaks that mechanic because now if you pump weapon damage to gain focus, your damage powers will be weaker, while if you put points in resolve for damage powers, you won't be able to gain the focus to cast them

Arrrrrg *endless screaming*

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Im trying to RP a bit and trying to figure out how to make a male pale elf sounding name. If i remember right most examples in PoE1 were female so there dont seem to be many examples. I think its supposed to be similar to Aedran names so i guess ill just go with some kind of aedran name?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

It's more or less willpower at this stage.

I don't know how I feel about this change. Should lead to more build diversity and making some hard choices, but I think it's going to lead to a definite caster/physical damage dichotomy. You just don't have the points to spread around.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hybrids are already limited by ability selection.

The problem for ciphers is you need weapon damage to gain focus to cast. This breaks that mechanic because now if you pump weapon damage to gain focus, your damage powers will be weaker, while if you put points in resolve for damage powers, you won't be able to gain the focus to cast them

Arrrrrg *endless screaming*

I thought focus gain was based off of purely hit vs not hit so accuracy and attack speed were #1 for ciphers. It's based off damage too?

Iretep posted:

Im trying to RP a bit and trying to figure out how to make a male pale elf sounding name. If i remember right most examples in PoE1 were female so there dont seem to be many examples. I think its supposed to be similar to Aedran names so i guess ill just go with some kind of aedran name?
fargoth

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I hope they really rebalance how stats are checked for conversations or we're going to end up with lovely caster supremacy issues where their primary stat unlocks all the good dialogue that resolve did in PoE1.

:(

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zore posted:

I hope they really rebalance how stats are checked for conversations or we're going to end up with lovely caster supremacy issues where their primary stat unlocks all the good dialogue that resolve did in PoE1.

Well you see it's much harder to learn how to be a caster than to swing a sword so when you think about it caster supremacy is totally justified :smuggo:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So what counts as "spell damage"? I'm hoping that doesn't mean "anything besides auto-attack." I'd assume martial classes like fighters, barbarians and rogues' attack powers will be tagged for strength-based damage, but what about monks, rangers, and paladins?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zore posted:

Dialogue skills are used far more for checks than straight stats.

As of two months ago, Resolve had 32 checks, Might had 34. By comparison, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Bluff are all checked 100+ times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dick Burglar posted:

So what counts as "spell damage"? I'm hoping that doesn't mean "anything besides auto-attack." I'd assume martial classes like fighters, barbarians and rogues' attack powers will be tagged for strength-based damage, but what about monks, rangers, and paladins?
Yes. If it's a weapon-based attack, it uses Strength.

• Locked thread