Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Will wands use Strength or Resolve to determine their damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Vermain posted:

Will wands use Strength or Resolve to determine their damage?
A wand is a weapon, so Strength.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

rope kid posted:

Dialogue skills are used far more for checks than straight stats.

As of two months ago, Resolve had 32 checks, Might had 34. By comparison, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Bluff are all checked 100+ times.

I think that was true in PoE 1 too, ratio-wise. The issue was that most might checks were for things like 'break down the wall' and could be circumvented by having someone with high might in the party or using a hammer+chisel. Resolve was irreplaceable since your companions couldn't make the dialogue checks for you and it tended to give better rewards or alternate quest solutions.

Its not really the raw numbers I'm worried about.

Like "i can't break down this wall for a shortcut but Eder can"! and "My character doesn't have enough resolve to pass this check for a sidequest so now I'm stuck in a fight' are very different things even though there are an equal number of checks here.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 28, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

rope kid posted:

Yes. If it's a weapon-based attack, it uses Strength.

So Flames of Devotion would be strength, while Sacred Immolation would be Resolve?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I thought focus gain was based off of purely hit vs not hit so accuracy and attack speed were #1 for ciphers. It's based off damage too?
Percentage of damage done. iirc, it was always like this but Draining Whip early on gave a flat bonus to focus, which is why so many early versions of ciphers used blunderbusses and dual fast weapons. Now Draining Whip just increases the percentage you gain as focus.

Dick Burglar posted:

So what counts as "spell damage"? I'm hoping that doesn't mean "anything besides auto-attack." I'd assume martial classes like fighters, barbarians and rogues' attack powers will be tagged for strength-based damage, but what about monks, rangers, and paladins?
It'd be interesting if anything that has a lash-like effect like Flames of Devotion, Lightning Strike, Soul Whip, etc used Resolve to calculate the bonus damage. It'd help a bit with some of the "but only gish builds need multiple stats!" thing and also give everyone a reason to put some points into Resolve.
Never mind. Still. They'll benefit, I suppose.

...while we're being really experimental, do we really need both Str and Con?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

rope kid posted:

Yes. If it's a weapon-based attack, it uses Strength.

I can live with this.

Ravenfood posted:

Been saying this for ages.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I thought focus gain was based off of purely hit vs not hit so accuracy and attack speed were #1 for ciphers. It's based off damage too?

yes, it's a function of damage (I believe 25% of damage dealt vs 35% in first game). This REALLY hurts for ciphers.

Entropy238 posted:

It's more or less willpower at this stage.

I don't know how I feel about this change. Should lead to more build diversity and making some hard choices, but I think it's going to lead to a definite caster/physical damage dichotomy. You just don't have the points to spread around.

Ravenfood posted:

Also, Per still exists as a stat that helps you gain and spend Focus, and works pretty thematically with Ciphers as investigators to boot.

The way the math works out on points to spend, prior to this change, as a Cipher, you basically wanted to max Int (for durations and AoE), then Per (because you HAVE to hit; accuracy is twice as important for a cipher as for everyone else, because you're rolling to-hit twice for each cast, once for the focus gain, once for the power cast). Then whatever points you could shave from Con and Res you could dump into either Might or Dex (roughly).

Now you'll still have to max Int and Per, but will have to put points in Res AND might. You'll be stuck cutting from con and maybe dex but dex has a huge impact on damage and effectiveness too so there's no go resolution at all.

It's just an acre of pain for the class, on top of what's already been done with the grazing removal and the much more stringently limited ability choices (fewer slots per level etc).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

A little weird to call this change a move to "caster supremacy" since a lot of standard fighter and paladin builds (especially) would benefit immensely from high Resolve and any CC-oriented caster is still unlikely to put a ton of points in it.

CottonWolf posted:

So Flames of Devotion would be strength, while Sacred Immolation would be Resolve?
Yes.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's just an acre of pain for the class, on top of what's already been done with the grazing removal and the much more stringently limited ability choices (fewer slots per level etc).

To be fair, you could just buff the base deflection/accuracy of ciphers to make up for the loss. 5 Accuracy = 5 per, effectively giving ciphers an extra 5 stat points to mess around with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm honestly not sure why we're introducing multiclassing and now walking back the good system that made multiclassing not lovely?

Like goddamn does this screw over hybrid characters a lot unless you're going for Weapon/Weapon or Spell/Spell. And they're already built in weaker than single class characters with the delayed power progression.

Entropy238 posted:

To be fair, you could just buff the base deflection/accuracy of ciphers to make up for the loss. 5 Accuracy = 5 per, effectively giving ciphers an extra 5 stat points to mess around with.

I thought everyone had equal base accuracy in Deadfire?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The way the math works out on points to spend, prior to this change, as a Cipher, you basically wanted to max Int (for durations and AoE), then Per (because you HAVE to hit; accuracy is twice as important for a cipher as for everyone else, because you're rolling to-hit twice for each cast, once for the focus gain, once for the power cast). Then whatever points you could shave from Con and Res you could dump into either Might or Dex (roughly).

Now you'll still have to max Int and Per, but will have to put points in Res AND might. You'll be stuck cutting from con and maybe dex but dex has a huge impact on damage and effectiveness too so there's no go resolution at all.

Yeah, but before a bunch of moaning about specific class balancing happens, we can see what they do with other tweaks first. Maybe they boost Soul Whip's effect a bit and/or increase the base damage of all spells a bit to compensate for the fact that your stats are going to be so spread out.

Basically, if they're drastically changing how stats work, I don't think its unreasonable to think that numbers on specific abilities will be tweaked. Besides, I like systems that reward all-around success and avoid having dump stats and/or give a worthwhile benefit to every stat. Sure, it might be better to give my barbarian that +4 strength gauntlet, but if I give it to my Cipher instead, I'm still getting some decent benefit. In the old system, there wasn't too much of an advantage to equipping Resolve items on a any class that wasn't front-line, so just tank it and don't worry about it. Now there's a huge reason to.

The more I think about it, the more I like the change provided there's some reason to not just turn every mage into the weakest thing on the planet.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zore posted:

I thought everyone had equal bases in Deadfire?

Whoops, forgot that. Maybe through an ability then?

rope kid posted:

A little weird to call this change a move to "caster supremacy" since a lot of standard fighter and paladin builds (especially) would benefit immensely from high Resolve and any CC-oriented caster is still unlikely to put a ton of points in it.

If this change goes through there's really very little reason at all to push for melee damage on Paladins imo – they already only hit about as hard as Chanters do.

edit: assuming you're not going as part as a physical multiclass combo

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I dislike the change

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ravenfood posted:

I strongly support the merge Con and Str movement. Full iconoclasm. Bring forth the Body attribute.

E: Always max Bod.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 28, 2017

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zore posted:

I'm honestly not sure why we're introducing multiclassing and now walking back the good system that made multiclassing not lovely?
I gave the reason in the tweet.

This is the second, possibly third time in the past few weeks where I've stated a change, given a reason for the change, and within a page of posts someone says, "I don't know why this change is being made."

Additionally, this is the time to try these changes and get feedback. We can sit back and theorize and do nothing; shrug our shoulders at an obvious weak point in the current arrangement; or try a new idea in the beta while we still have time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Like goddamn does this screw over hybrid characters a lot unless you're going for Weapon/Weapon or Spell/Spell. And they're already built in weaker than single class characters with the delayed power progression.

I thought everyone had equal base accuracy in Deadfire?
Could just give Soul Whip +5acc since its basically always-on as an immediate example.

Also, ropekid already brought up that it only affects spell damage, so a CC-focused caster can continue to ignore Resolve since they're going to be focusing on non-damaging spells in general. I don't know, I never really put too many points into Might for my Ciphers anyway. I used a few, sure, but they mostly went into Int and Per. I also just don't like min-maxing and tanking specific stats because I think its weird and video-gamey in general, so I never dumped Resolve, which possibly explains that.

Resolve always seemed a bit weak in PoE1 since all it modified was a few defenses, the effects of which could be mitigated with positioning. This gives it some much-needed power and there are already ways to increase melee damage that also benefit spells (dex and per). Its ok if your hybrid has all-around decent stats instead of a few god-tier stats as long as the scaling isn't exponential or something like that, plus it makes the pure melee classes have a bit more identity in some ways.

e: gently caress it, make it really simple and give diminishing returns with stat gains or do what early point-buy systems did and make really high levels of stats cost more points. There, hybrid characters are back on top of the pile, plus they have more options for getting the full benefits from magical equipment.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 28, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CottonWolf posted:

I strongly support the merge Con and Str movement. Full iconoclasm. Bring forth the Body attribute.

There must be some RPG that uses Body, Mind, and Soul as attributes, but I can't think of one.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cipher powers were more about buffs and cc than damage anyway (at least the way I played them) so that's not that much of a deal imo.

Samuel Clemens posted:

There must be some RPG that uses Body, Mind, and Soul as attributes, but I can't think of one.

I want to say Jade Empire...? Soul might have been called Chi or something though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, but before a bunch of moaning about specific class balancing happens,

If I can't wail and gnash my teeth what is the internet even for

Avalerion posted:

Cipher powers were more about buffs and cc than damage anyway (at least the way I played them) so that's not that much of a deal imo.

roughly half to two thirds of cipher powers do damage

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 28, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

rope kid posted:

This is the second, possibly third time in the past few weeks where I've stated a change, given a reason for the change, and within a page of posts someone says, "I don't know why this change is being made."

Additionally, this is the time to try these changes and get feedback. We can sit back and theorize and do nothing; shrug our shoulders at an obvious weak point in the current arrangement; or try a new idea in the beta while we still have time.

The reason is to make resolve more desirable a trait, correct?

I would argue it still isn't for most characters. Almost all the archetypes who dumped it in game 1 are still going to dump it; you don't need spell damage for Rogues/Monks/Rangers/Barbarians etc.

Personally I would have experimented with moving things away from Int instead of might. Test having Resolve affect the length of buffs/debuffs which would make it valuable to just about everyone who doesn't want it for defenses while still leaving Int as desirable for AOE.

This isn't supposed to be an attack on your design or some dumb 'change bad' thing, and I apologize if it came off that way. I just feel that the stated reason probably won't really make resolve any more desirable and fractures a system I liked in the first game.

Betas are for testing things out though so, we'll see how it goes :shrug:

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 28, 2017

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zore posted:

Personally I would have experimented with moving things away from Int instead of might. Test having Resolve affect the length of buffs/debuffs which would make it valuable to just about everyone who doesn't want it for defenses while still leaving Int as desirable for AOE.
I think that leaves Int with a narrow niche. Rogues, rangers, and most monks would gain very little from it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

rope kid posted:

I only have one thing to say about these changes: keep calling it Might instead of Strength, that's it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

rope kid posted:

I think that leaves Int with a narrow niche. Rogues, rangers, and most monks would gain very little from it.

Yeah, that's true, but as it is I can't really think of a reason to take new Resolve on a Ranger, Rogue, Monk or Barbarian. Sure it'll pump defenses, but it did in game 1 and people still completely dumped it on those classes.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
On the bright side, you can now build spellcasting classes that are more or less as equally good at CC as they are dealing damage through spells. Typical stat spread for a Wizard might look like:

Might: 6
Con: 8
Dex: 14
Per: 15
Int: 18
Res: 17

You can also wear a shield and be super-duper tanky and ward off aggro too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

The reason is to make resolve more desirable a trait, correct?

I would argue it still isn't for most characters. Almost all the archetypes who dumped it in game 1 are still going to dump it; you don't need spell damage for Rogues/Monks/Rangers/Barbarians etc.

This isn't supposed to be an attack on your design or some dumb 'change bad' thing, and I apologize if it came off that way. I just feel that the stated reason probably won't really make resolve any more desirable and fractures a system I liked in the first game.

Betas are for testing things out so, we'll see how it goes :shrug:
Hey, dumb idea. Make the duration that buffs last reflect both the target and caster's resolve too somehow, so if you dump it on your Ranger, buffs on your Ranger will fade pretty fast.

Though I do like the idea of separating AoE and duration from one stat because right now, that's a no-brainer for both attack and defense on anyone that tosses any kind of spell around. I like this idea better than the current change, even though I personally think it fucks ciphers over more than the current one. I also do think that while "might = damage" has a lot of gameplay benefits, it just feels difficult to conceptualize.

e:

rope kid posted:

Move the deflection bonus to Int, then. Rangers still might not gain much, but a class that's built around doing one thing really well can safely dump a lot of things.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 28, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

frajaq posted:

I dislike the change

Yeah I'm disappointed in it as well. Having a universal +%damage attribute was a cool bit of unique flavor to PoE's system and I think made building characters a lot more intuitive. And I gotta say I wasn't a fan of separate weapon and spell damage attributes in Tyranny. I dunno maybe it'll turn out to be a great change but with it being a bit of beta experimenting hopefully Obsidian isn't locked in to the change if it doesn't.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Entropy238 posted:

On the bright side, you can now build spellcasting classes that are more or less as equally good at CC as they are dealing damage through spells. Typical stat spread for a Wizard might look like:

Might: 6
Con: 8
Dex: 14
Per: 15
Int: 18
Res: 17

You can also wear a shield and be super-duper tanky and ward off aggro too.
An unintended but not entirely unexpected side effect of this is that a "traditional" caster built up with low Str/Con and high Int/Res will wind up with bottom-of-the-barrel Fort and fantastic Will defenses.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

rope kid posted:

An unintended but not entirely unexpected side effect of this is that a "traditional" caster built up with low Str/Con and high Int/Res will wind up with bottom-of-the-barrel Fort and fantastic Will defenses.

Seems about right to me.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah I'm disappointed in it as well. Having a universal +%damage attribute was a cool bit of unique flavor to PoE's system and I think made building characters a lot more intuitive. And I gotta say I wasn't a fan of separate weapon and spell damage attributes in Tyranny. I dunno maybe it'll turn out to be a great change but with it being a bit of beta experimenting hopefully Obsidian isn't locked in to the change if it doesn't.
No, we're not locked into it.

It's difficult to move active/offensive stats to Resolve without them being taken from somewhere else or winding up being of marginal value to the overall class spread. We discussed a few other ideas, like Resolve accelerating the buildup of "natural" Concentration (i.e. everyone gets Concentration after enough time in combat has passed, but high Resolve gets there/regenerates faster) or the use of Empower being time-gated based on Resolve. The former is still defensive and the latter is of marginal value.

Moving around existing bonuses that are already on attributes tends to drop them in value significantly. Might seemed the most resilient to splitting the bonus.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
With the Concentration stat gone, Resolve had zero value to me in the beta. So I'm pro-this change, though since I'm multiclassing a Barbarian most of my secondary stats were at 10 anyways.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Paladins will be sick with this change. A Pally tank would want deflection, healing, and spell damage bonuses. To get all of that in one stat is kinda nice. Ditto for Priests/Druids.

Multi classes will have to make a choice of what they want to do. If you're a Fighter/Mage for example, you can probably choose between having Str/Dex/Int and basically relying purely on summons and buffs or you sacrifice one of those in order to maintain respectable spell damage.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Druids are gonna be a bit hard up for stats, actually. If you lean on wild shape you need a lot of STR, whereas if you focus on being a caster you need high RES. I guess you can build for both, but that means you're gonna have terrible CON and DEX probably.

I still wish I could get wild shape without having to take the spellcasting side. I'd love to be able to hulk out and claw somebody's eyes out at a moment's notice, but I don't really care about flinging spells. Rope kid, give us a Lycanthropy feat or something :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Woah. Weird to see might go. I was skeptical at first, when the PoE 1 beta dropped, but it grew on me.

RIP might :patriot:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fintilgin posted:

Woah. Weird to see might go. I was skeptical at first, when the PoE 1 beta dropped, but it grew on me.

RIP might :patriot:

Given that it still effects gun damage, I'd have named it Technique or something rather than Strength. But you can argue endlessly about attribute names (and we have).

Samuel Clemens posted:

gently caress. Now I'm imaging Pillars as a three attribute system with Body (Weapon Damage, Health and Action Speed), Mind (Duration, AoE, Accuracy) and Soul (Magic Damage, Healing, Empower). It'd be perfect given the setting.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm against this change but is there really anybody that gets hosed over by it besides Ciphers? (Assuming that damaging Cipher actives are of equal value as other options, which they mostly aren't right now.)
Every other hybrid I've played so far didn't use damaging spells a lot. At most I expect this to be the last step needed to complete the ascension of Perception to the god of stats for offensive characters, Ciphers included.
I guess for some Paladins it'll be an issue to not be able to get a big boost to heals and weapon damage anymore, maybe?

e: I guess Druids really might have some issues here especially since Perception doesn't help their heals (which are good), but I never felt really strapped for stat points with them.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 28, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wizard Styles posted:

I guess for some Paladins it'll be an issue to not be able to get a big boost to heals and weapon damage anymore, maybe?

Depends on the build. You can be an ultimate healy tank with Sacred Immolation running constantly with high Res now. Possibly bad for pure offensive Paladins given the damage of FoD and Sacred Immolation increasing off different stats.

A Res/Int/Con Paladin would be an absolute beast though. Just a wall that things die in front of.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 28, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It kind of makes sense, but now hybrid builds are a little bit harder to pull off. I liked being just as good at meleeing dudes as a druid as I am at blasting them with sunlight and grasshoppers.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gosh, baldurs gate 2 had strength and int as two stats, that must be why fighter/mage multiclasses were the weakest in the game!

I like the idea that 10-20% physical/spell damage is the MAKE OR BREAK for some peoples class choices, oh god I do 18 damage instead of 21

RIP your jack of all trades builds, you can't be good at everything :smugwizard:

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

rope kid posted:

No, we're not locked into it.

It's difficult to move active/offensive stats to Resolve without them being taken from somewhere else or winding up being of marginal value to the overall class spread. We discussed a few other ideas, like Resolve accelerating the buildup of "natural" Concentration (i.e. everyone gets Concentration after enough time in combat has passed, but high Resolve gets there/regenerates faster) or the use of Empower being time-gated based on Resolve. The former is still defensive and the latter is of marginal value.

Moving around existing bonuses that are already on attributes tends to drop them in value significantly. Might seemed the most resilient to splitting the bonus.

I think that's pretty solid reasoning, i'm glad the issues with resolve are being addressed. I think your other ideas are more interesting than splitting Might, though.

What if you, like someone said, have Resolve now affect the length of buffs/debuffs, but then gave your natural concentration and empower time gate ideas to Int?

Lore wise I think that works as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i like this change because now resolve is the goku stat to me instead of the get outta my head charles stat.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 28, 2017

• Locked thread