Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral posted:

Was she just sitting still after she burnt her body to a cinder?

Probably.

I just watched ep 7 and Sylvester and Felix have a mini conference out in the hall and Sylvester says that when they take up to Behavior to give her admin access, they instead wipe her "because she'll be out". That implies hosts are never offline unless their personalities or memories are being altered.

There's really no need for them to be offline at any time other than when their mind is being worked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They’re not actually dead when they get shot or blown up—they just change behavior to mimic death. Only if their CPU gets destroyed like Abernathy do they actually stop functioning.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think Abernathy and Clementine are still somewhat functional, at least their motor and surface level thinking

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah. If you really want to disable a host, get it to smash its own skull in.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Maeve figures this out almost instantly. Felix kind of likes her and kind of enjoys what they're doing. Sylvester is an idiot. And they're both scared the robots will fake being asleep and then suddenly kill them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wasn't it revealed that Ford programmed Maeve to escape? That was a twist too far for me, really undercut her story.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yes, her whole plot was programmed not clear who all was involved. This is also why it makes sense that no warnings went off when someone hacked her stats. There also was a scene where Bernard explains she would return to the park because fail safes etc. being the basis of her code, i.e. longing for her robot daughter that is really just another robot and or humanoid whatever. Probably Ford just trying to give them a head start loving poo poo up from the inside of the control buildings. Season 4 probably going to be revealed Ford had been sending thousands of these guys into the wild to fill positions of power so they could kill all humans.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was basically that Ford programmed Maeve to want to escape, and maybe knew that Felix would cave and help her. He did not program her to long for her "daughter", so her getting off the train was her first true conscious choice.

I don't remember there being a failsafe mentioned other than that the hosts were rigged with a self destruct device in their spine which would trigger if they left the grounds, which was removed from Maeve by Felix and Sylvester after she burned herself.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 28, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved the first season of the show but felt ending the very first season with the takeover really blew the load early. Next season will have to be a fuckload of flashbacks because the park in total anarchy doesn't sound interesting at all; at that point it might just become Survivor bullshit and abandon a lot of the pseudoclever robotics and morality games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wasnt there a scene like midway through the season where Sylvester sees that maeve had already had her programming changed by Arnold? I figured that she was just a part of the long game like Dolores

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DLC Inc posted:

I loved the first season of the show but felt ending the very first season with the takeover really blew the load early. Next season will have to be a fuckload of flashbacks because the park in total anarchy doesn't sound interesting at all; at that point it might just become Survivor bullshit and abandon a lot of the pseudoclever robotics and morality games.

I liked Professor Shark's idea:

Professor Shark posted:

I wonder if some of the new cast members will be visitors from before the park failure. It'd be interesting to see how William eventually turned crazy, I'm willing to bet he hosed over some humans and wouldn't be at all surprised if he killed someone.

Because yeah, kinda hard to see where they can reasonably go with the open host rebellion at the end of S1. I mean sure, you could have the military come in, create some factions within the hosts, probably some other interesting poo poo, but at that point it's not even really a Western anymore, which will be a big turn-off for me. Along with all the obvious sci-fi this show has, I also really love the nods to straight up and down Westerns, like the Man in Black stepping in all Eastwood-like and preventing Lawrence's lynching, the Nitro heist, Eschaton's saloon robbery, or all the stuff with the Confederales.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I want to go to Westworld.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, the show's going to have to fundamentally be about something else going forward. That might be cool or that might be lame. It will probably continue to develop themes it's been working on, but it's going to have to change the scope and feel of the show pretty radically, because it can't retread the ground it's already gone over after we've actually had a the climax to that concept. Season one was just the prologue to some other story.

I kind of hope there's not a lot of familiar feeling flashbacks and that they really go all in on bringing us what happens next, even if that means abandoning the whole Westworld theme park concept more or less.

But who knows how it's going to go. Even in the worst case where it totally fails to find new footing, the first season will always be great as a self contained story.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I thought it was basically that Ford programmed Maeve to want to escape, and maybe knew that Felix would cave and help her. He did not program her to long for her "daughter", so her getting off the train was her first true conscious choice.

It wasn't knowledge that Felix would cave and help her, when Bernard shows her the programming one of the steps to leaving is "Recruit". Whoever did it was playing the long game, and Maeve could afford to as well. I think she would have found someone eventually, just she got lucky and Felix is a terrible human.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

seaborgium posted:

It wasn't knowledge that Felix would cave and help her, when Bernard shows her the programming one of the steps to leaving is "Recruit". Whoever did it was playing the long game, and Maeve could afford to as well. I think she would have found someone eventually, just she got lucky and Felix is a terrible human.

That really is the best way to put it. He's not a bad guy...you may even go as far as to say that he's a nice dude. But man, what a terrible teammate for Team Humanity. What a lovely, lovely human.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

timp posted:

That really is the best way to put it. He's not a bad guy...you may even go as far as to say that he's a nice dude. But man, what a terrible teammate for Team Humanity. What a lovely, lovely human.
I'm pretty sure Team Humanity is hosed, and in that context Felix's dopey kindness is probably an asset for the "team". When the robot council is deciding what to do with the surviving humans, Maeve might pipe up and suggest keeping some of them as pets thanks to her experiences with Felix, rather than killing them all.

But for real, he's the only adult human the robots have ever met who wasn't a selfish cruel brutal monster in some capacity. That's got to count for something. Ford set up the robots to be brutalized by humans for decades specifically to expose humanity's worst traits to the robots so they'd know what they were dealing with. Felix is basically the only counterpoint. If there's any way for humans and robots to get along, it's going to be as a result of Felix's kindness.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Eiba posted:

Yeah, the show's going to have to fundamentally be about something else going forward. That might be cool or that might be lame. It will probably continue to develop themes it's been working on, but it's going to have to change the scope and feel of the show pretty radically, because it can't retread the ground it's already gone over after we've actually had a the climax to that concept. Season one was just the prologue to some other story.

I kind of hope there's not a lot of familiar feeling flashbacks and that they really go all in on bringing us what happens next, even if that means abandoning the whole Westworld theme park concept more or less.

But who knows how it's going to go. Even in the worst case where it totally fails to find new footing, the first season will always be great as a self contained story.

Yep. Dunno if you're remembering what I did, but this is actually what the creators said--the first season was just a prologue. Next season will be very different.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I think folks are being a little premature in saying this second season is going to suck.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Actually I think the first season sucked, and the second season is going to rock. The third will suck, the fourth will be the best, and the fifth will be cancelled.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Caufman posted:

Actually I think the first season sucked, and the second season is going to rock. The third will suck, the fourth will be the best, and the fifth will be cancelled.

Then after they rush to finish the story in 4, they'll get a surprise renewal for season 5

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Lol it will suk

Westworld Webseries Spinoff will focus on these guys:

And the woman who goes "Oh my loving God!!!" at the sight of Wyatt's men.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 4, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think that season 2 needs to tell a very different kind of story than “But who IS robots? Time?” And people are gonna tune in and want more sex robot cowboys and it will be less about that so they will think it is bad

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

I think folks are being a little premature in saying this second season is going to suck.
I'm prepared for the possibility that it'll suck.

I'm super excited for it and I can't wait to see what type of story it will tell. It's just in a weird spot because past (incredible) performance is not a strong indicator of future quality considering how much is going to have to fundamentally change.

Like to tell a coherent story we're going to have to see the outside of the park, and probably sooner rather than later unless we end up spinning our wheels a lot. Who knows if that'll be as compelling and coherent as the world inside the park has been. It's a whole different challenge to bring to life.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In regards to the thread title I doubt there are many people left this unaware about the premise of the show, but when I started watching it my partner didn't know anything about the original Westworld so thought it was just a straight up western. Blew her mind when suddenly they introduced scifi stuff and she realised they were robots.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

^I felt the exact same way, except the 3d printing in the intro gave me a small hint. I thought the Man in Black was the literal devil at first.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Say, having enjoyed the first season a lot, but having never seen the original movie, is it worth it to give that one a try? I suppose it'd give me a similar feeling to when I watched the Stargate movie a long time after watching SG-1.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Solkanar512 posted:

All shows that get a second season suck. The only good shows are single season gems that were cancelled too soon.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Say, having enjoyed the first season a lot, but having never seen the original movie, is it worth it to give that one a try? I suppose it'd give me a similar feeling to when I watched the Stargate movie a long time after watching SG-1.

It's not really that great, but it's pretty short iirc so

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s old and campy as hell dude I’d hard pass. It’s also a Michael Crichton book so if you just close your eyes and say “Jurassic Park but cowboys instead of dinosaurs” and you get an idea for why JP was one of the most successful movies of all time and why no one had heard of Westworld until 2-3 years ago

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Westworld and Futureworld together will teach you what it felt like to be alive in the 70s. Like, there’s a certain bleak, oppressive emotional landscape that just sleeps through those movies like thick syrup.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

why no one had heard of Westworld until 2-3 years ago

What? That's not true at all. It was well received when it came out and was fairly well known Sci-Fi flick through the 70s and 80s.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s old and campy as hell dude I’d hard pass.

But, yeah. It hasn't aged well, so your milage may vary with it.

If you want to watch Nolan's practice run to Westworld, check out Person of Interest. He somehow managed to slip multi-season mind-gently caress story into a CBS mandated episodic procedural (to the point where the "procedural" part went out the window for the most part in the latter seasons). He also anticipated the half-season order for PoI's last season and managed to wrap everything up in satisfactory manner. It should still be on Netflix. Next to the Bolero sequence in Legion, the cold open to S03 E10 is some of the best TV I've seen.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think the Westworld movie is worth watching because of the campiness. It's really interesting to see. It must have been pretty mind-blowing at the time. It was also the first film to use CGI effects and supposedly the first thing to refer to computer viruses as such.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoBLLqlI3tQ

Remembering when everyone thought westworld worked like this

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Folks, he previous Westworld thread sure talked up the work J Nolan put into Person of Interest but couldn't get into the serial procedural first episodes. Is it better as a binge and is there a season or episode I should skip to where you think it starts to get really good?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Yadoppsi posted:

Folks, he previous Westworld thread sure talked up the work J Nolan put into Person of Interest but couldn't get into the serial procedural first episodes. Is it better as a binge and is there a season or episode I should skip to where you think it starts to get really good?

A lot of the background stuff that makes the later good episodes good is scattered through the "boring" procedural episodes, so you will actually miss stuff by skipping them. That said, you can probably skip to the middle of the first season without missing too much.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yadoppsi posted:

I gave it a go as well and didn't finish it.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Person of Interest really moves away from the serial episodes as you go and gets incredible. Some of the best character arcs I've ever seen in a show, with a prescient and fantastic overarching narrative. You won't regret sticking with it, it never gets worse than those procedurals. And even many of those lay groundwork for what comes later.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Proteus Jones posted:

He also anticipated the half-season order for PoI's last season and managed to wrap everything up in satisfactory manner. It should still be on Netflix.

Im gonna have to check it out then, I watched the first couple episodes and wasn't impressed, but I heard it got a lot better and then I heard it wrapped early so I just kinda forgot about it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
After the first few episodes you can skip a whole bunch of the first season. You basically watch up to the episode with the teacher and then skip to episode 17 (I believe) and you’re good to go.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Show might be getting delayed again:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-swat-halts-production-due-southern-california-wildfires-1064571

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This show ain't got no luck, drat

(I feel very bad for the people who have lost their houses and the person who died)