Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

Regarding the input practice talk, there's a technique that I feel is not mentioned very often. If you're a male, you can use your own natural stick to practice inputs. It will teach you how to do most inputs cleanly since you will be able to naturally feel which direction you just pressed instead of having to rely on practice mode to show your inputs. As practice, try doing a DP with it and you'll notice how naturally you will be able to perform it.

Another plus with this technique is that you will also learn to not ride the gate as much, which is good if you use other sticks in the future.

But what if I play on a hitbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Jack Trades posted:

But what if I play on a hitbox?

Practice on your four weird misaligned nipples

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nobody needs to practice hitbox its the sure fire way to win every match that gamers don't want you to know about

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pomp posted:

please source your quotes

i am the source :awesome:

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Poniard posted:

me when i lose big time

https://twitter.com/vlokkin/status/931660392308363264

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Quick note on the SRK / motor function discussion. I don't recommend trying to learn them on SFV. Pop on fightcade or even USF4. That game is really really lax about what it considers correct inputs. Even playing it for a couple hours I can feel myself getting lazy with the motions.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwP2CzhY9ko&t=37s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Modern esports capcom games accept poo poo like 3,3 as an srk and its filth

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

usf4 has the same weird poo poo like 636 is a DP

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Play games with IAD's and learn them. They're good for you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Booyah- posted:

usf4 has the same weird poo poo like 636 is a DP

I think SFV uses the same leniency system as SFIV?
The DP motion in both games is [Any Forward] - [Any Down] - [Any Forward].
Same with 360 motions, for example, I used to do those with 214 698 or 236 478.

I honestly think that it's a good compromise but then again, of course I would think that since SFIV was my first FG.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of sf, im not the biggest vesper fan but i saw the thumbnail on this video calling for the removal of neutral crush counters in sfv and like a dumbass i clicked it out of curiosity. He makes some good points https://youtu.be/wL6AiU14W8k

Outside of the original core cast, who tend to have cc's that whiff crouchers and arent really safe/good pressure tools, most characters in sfv have no incentive to do anything but spam cc's due to priority of heavies over other moves and the severely bad range of lights/mids. The top tier characters also have cc's that are safe on block or allow you to keep pressure on block

The second half of the vid lost me cause he starts talking about fixing it when the whole rest of the game is broke and bad but he makes his greasy living off streaming capcom games so whatever.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kwilty posted:

Quick note on the SRK / motor function discussion. I don't recommend trying to learn them on SFV. Pop on fightcade or even USF4. That game is really really lax about what it considers correct inputs. Even playing it for a couple hours I can feel myself getting lazy with the motions.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwP2CzhY9ko&t=37s

SFV's input interpreter is so weird that sometimes actually makes stuff harder for me. It doesn't seem to care if your QCFs for super are very clean so a lot of the times I do something like 2MP6323MP3 or whatever and get super instead of DP, which sucks. I know that's not the cleanest DP but it literally doesn't happen in any other game.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

CRISPYBABY posted:

Play games with IAD's and learn them. They're good for you.

I ended up getting an arcade stick around the time Persona 4 Arena hit, and it was rough doing IADs. But after learning that a 9 input works a lot better for the jump, getting used to it got a lot easier.

Playing Nine in BB and Ky in GG is also getting me more accustomed of to Super jump and Jump Install stuff. Of course, it took me a few years to get comfortable doing a lot of this stuff without killing my hand.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's possible to do an IAD with an input other than 9 neutral 6? That sounds horrible.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

AFAIK 99 or 77 works in most games for an instant airdash.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Arcana Heart lets you IAD with things like 669 and even 667 I think, it's loose as hell. Backwards too.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Elephunk posted:

AFAIK 99 or 77 works in most games for an instant airdash.

No, that just means you have sloppy diagonal inputs.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
IADs suck all games should have two-button dashes. :colbert:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
9PP is the Good IAD

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mango sentinel posted:

9PP is the Good IAD

My man or girl.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

CRISPYBABY posted:

It's possible to do an IAD with an input other than 9 neutral 6? That sounds horrible.

9 neutral 66 is what I typically do now, but when I first got the stick, I was trying 8 on either side like a dummy. I hold the stick between my ring and middle fingers and going from 8 down to 6 always sucked more than just trying to do a diagonal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

IAD and Slayer's BDC became easy for me after I figured out korean backdashing. I think figuring out the return-to-neutral timing helped.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

9PP is the Good IAD

*29PP for super-jump IAD

god bless marvel 2

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Lynx Winters posted:

No, that just means you have sloppy diagonal inputs.

Really? I have always sucked at them, mashing them out like that always worked better in the old GG games compared to BB/Xrd

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm pretty sure 99 in theory gets you a double jump in Xrd, but I haven't tested it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Elephunk posted:

*29PP for super-jump IAD

god bless marvel 2

The real question there is 293PP or KK,3PP

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CRISPYBABY posted:

I'm pretty sure 99 in theory gets you a double jump in Xrd, but I haven't tested it.

Yeah

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I've been grinding Xrd IADs in the training room. I still only have about a 75% success rate either direction against the dummy, let alone in match. I know it's because I keep inputting sloppy 8s instead of 9s.

Is there something different I should be doing? Should I change my grip or something? Or is it just a matter of chewing bricks until tighter muscle memory develops?

Using a Madcatz TE2+ with factory parts. Currently using a index-middle-ring-on-top-of-the-ball grip.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I change grips for a lot of moves. For iad its easy to just open your hand and slap the lever to 9, catch it at 5 in your grip and throw it to 6.

I find returning to neutral while holding the stick much harder than letting it do it itself.

Ymmv

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Third Strike had the crouching DP shortcut so it's weird when people bemoan that as a SF4 invention. There's much more egregious input leniencies in SF4/SF5 that hurt way more than they help and have no reason to use intentionally. A couple of the DP shortcuts I'm fine with just because they generally don't cause accidental inputs and to Actually Be Good you need to learn to use both inputs in different situations.

Crush counters are the worst mechanic in a Street Fighter game ever. People whined about focus attacks but while those detracted from traditional elements of footsies, they also introduced a new/unique element and a decent risk/reward option to getting around typically "strong" Street Fighter moves. The armor/armor break system in SF4 is really good and I feel like people take it for granted or don't talk about it much. Crush counters just make footsies less fun. The one interesting thing they could've done with crush counters, having high-reward "bad" anti-air buttons, they purposefully designed around by making it so anti-air buttons can only have one active frame that causes crush counter.

They should remove the mechanic altogether or severely revamp it so crush counter is not connected to good footsies or pressure buttons. Even the crazy anime games the mechanic is inspired from got it right by connecting Fatal Counters to buttons that generally have a downside. They should probably only be connected to things like unsafe sweeps, anti-airs and slow close buttons that are hard to use outside of reversal punish situations. It would help a lot if they didn't remove proximity normals, since then you could have long range non-crush counter normals on the same button as short range crush counter normals!

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 29, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Third Strike had the crouching DP shortcut too so it's weird when people bemoan that as a SF4 invention.

Did it really?
Because I remember struggling a lot with DPs in 3S.

Although maybe I'm mixing it up with ST or some other FightCade fighter.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
DPs in Third Strike still want you to end on diagonal and have a much tighter total input window. The reversal window is also very small and there's not very many moves with frame one invincibility in Street Fighter 3 in the first place. Overall it's not very useful in that game, but it exists and you can mash 323232323 and get a DP if you really want to.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gutter Owl posted:

I've been grinding Xrd IADs in the training room. I still only have about a 75% success rate either direction against the dummy, let alone in match. I know it's because I keep inputting sloppy 8s instead of 9s.

Is there something different I should be doing? Should I change my grip or something? Or is it just a matter of chewing bricks until tighter muscle memory develops?

Using a Madcatz TE2+ with factory parts. Currently using a index-middle-ring-on-top-of-the-ball grip.

use whatever grip feels comfortable to you!

one thing that may not be immediately apparent is there is a minimum height you can iad from, on the way up.

your problem may be you are doing it too fast!

try i-no in training mode against a potemkin set to block, put him in the corner and try to do iad KSH. if you are doing it low enough he will block all the hits, if you are too high the S will probably miss

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Crush counters are the worst mechanic in a Street Fighter game ever.

Worse than Slammasters in SF: The Movie or giving every move in Alpha 3 infinite juggle properties and then tying recovery to your opponent's neutral state?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
crush counters would probably be fine if you could actually play footsies and dodge them since they're usually on horrendously slow moves, so they would be inherently more risky to do since whiff punishing them would give you something of around similar damage.

the fact that they're in button rps the game just makes the button rps even dumber.

also even if the damage in sfv is low, the damage you get off crush counters significantly outclasses the average game damage which makes them even stupider. it's like you press one button and you get anime game damage but everything else does like a pixel.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 29, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like the crush counter mechanic in theory but the crush counter buttons really need to be much worse than all non-crush counter pokes and also need to be slow enough to whiff punish and unsafe enough to get at least some minor punish on block.

The fact that crush counter buttons are also good and safe pokes in SFV, coupled with the fact that you can't whiff punish anything in that game, is loving retarded.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jack Trades posted:

I like the crush counter mechanic in theory but the crush counter buttons really need to be much worse than all non-crush counter pokes and also need to be slow enough to whiff punish and unsafe enough to get at least some minor punish on block.

The fact that crush counter buttons are also good and safe pokes in SFV, coupled with the fact that you can't whiff punish anything in that game, is loving retarded.

its really cool that you have no opinions of your own and literally just copied what two people who understand fighting games said verbatim

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Jack Trades posted:

Same with 360 motions, for example, I used to do those with 214 698 or 236 478.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

its really cool that you have no opinions of your own and literally just copied what two people who understand fighting games said verbatim

Totally. We all know that it's impossible for two people to independently reach the same opinion.