Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Nobody else made a thread yet so you are stuck with me.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/
Dominions 5 is the sequel to Dominions 4 (thread).

Dominions is a crazy deep strategy game(?) thing where you take the role of the Pretender God, a powerful sometimes ancient being or maybe sometimes just a really pretty bit of architecture and you lead a nation of pixelmans to glory or defeat by smashing into other pixelmans, or ruin the entire world with horrible evil magic.

Notable new things to Dominions 5 is an entirely revamped bless system where by your pretender god can decide that special people who worship them can fuckin light themselves on fire or be Slightly Taller or see ghosts. Another big change is that battles play out in real time so really fast guys can dodge arrows and spells targeted at them and also you can just walk up to some nerd trying to cast earthquake and stick him with a spear instead dying. Theres already a big community of people who play this dumb game together from something awful because we have been playing this dumb series of games for like a hundred years and we have nothing better to do with our time. Theres #dom4goons irc channel on synirc and also a discord i made thats REALLY loving bad.

Theres also a shitload of ui improvements which are utterly unheard of and unexpected like a research planner

and new map interface and new troop order screens and stuff. and the spell list from research now tells you if something is a ritual or a global or a battle spell at a glance as well as its cost in gems (if any)

New Players
I guess this nerd made a bunch of videos about trying to get new people to play this game but i haven't watched them because i hate him. If you are new to dominions or returning or whatever and just want to figure out what the gently caress is going on the best thing to do would be to talk to people in the irc or discord or whatever and ask lots and lots of questions

edit: this is a thing that makes maps that dont suck poo poo, made by Corbeau. hes a genius its magical please use it. https://corbeau.itch.io/cartographic-revision
heres a discord i made to talk about this game there's a bunch of people in it https://discord.gg/cgCKXZcr6J
heres the think naksu made that hosts games. hes a genius ints magical please use it . https://dom5.snek.earth

jsoh fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I recorded some dominions 5 during the end of the beta, here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vdmgLZhoBc (so far there are like 27 turns, game is in progress and will probably end at about 30-40?)

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I wonder what the new go to thug build will be.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Amuys posted:

I wonder what the new go to thug build will be.

holy water+mace of eruption

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Holy water only blesses sacreds though, no?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

yeah. Theres plenty of sacred and beefy commanders who you never thought of before that you can now recruit 2-3 of from a fort. Jotun Jarls and Zhayden Spahbeds and the like REALLY like holy water

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

violent sex idiot posted:

maybe sometimes just a really pretty bit of architecture

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
This bad game is a lot better than the previous bad game.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Thank you for this beautiful thread

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ugly architecture is welcome too I guess

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Atlanton posted:

This bad game is a lot better than the previous bad game.

Naksu
Jul 22, 2007
I beta-tested this game, kinda.

Ask me about destroying jbrereton

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

What is the middle number with the sword next to it in the battle summary?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MF_James posted:

Dudes they killed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

Kills

MF_James
May 8, 2008

yeah I didn't realize they split PD and army into 2 separate line items, so I looked at just the bottom line, which did not add up to kills.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

for new people thinking about buying this game dominions is very bad but i have like 4000 hours in four so if you've got brain worms go for it.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Multiplayer dominions feels kinda like the board game diplomacy, except with way more poo poo going on.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

I have no money and am a poor student with imminent exams but gently caress it this looks like slightly less micro

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
After playing three games against the AI yesterday I remembered what ultimately made me quit Dom 4, being unable to figure out exactly what was going wrong when it goes wrong. Dom 5 helps a bit in this regard, but it's still really difficult at times. For example, my last game I was playing Tian'Chi (name might be off, it's the nation with the Five Elements sacred units that are ambidextrous. I had a magical weapon bless with a few other minor bonuses, notable animal awe from a throne, and I was fighting Sauromatia (also probably wrong name) that was fielding lots of small hydra's with these insane cavalry that had partial invulnerability. My army was mostly the sacred units, heavy infantry with spears and shields, with Celestial Dogs and Demon of Heavenly Fire summoned units.

In theory, as far as I can tell, I should have crushed the AI. They were fielding more units, but mine were sturdier, I had magical damage to beat their partial invulnerability on the cav, my morale was pretty high to offset the occasional fear unit, and even had the animal awe bless for their hydra's. And yet once I'd secured two out of the four thrones they started throwing a large horde at me with their pretender god and I couldn't put a dent in it. My frontline damage soakers would fail morale checks far often than they should have for the fear being put out, their fliers would somehow target my mages through a couple dozen bodyguard units, and a few points difference in attack/defense skill with their special cav meant I'd lose 3-4 five element sacred to their one cav unit, which was just unsustainable.

And other than that last item, I couldn't figure out what was happening or why. I can only assume some of the buffs and spells they had in their back pocket was making a difference, but trying to figure out that requires writing down the spell, finding it in the school list, and looking it up that way. Some of which may not even be there because they're nation or bless specific. I'm fine with losing but not being able to figure out why I'm losing so I can improve makes it seem pointless to keep playing and work out how to get better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Multiplayer Dominions is very fun and you will have a blast in your noob games. Once you leave noob games you will never get even the slightest enjoyment from it ever again.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Naksu posted:

I beta-tested this game, kinda.

Ask me about destroying jbrereton
Did you ever recover from the battle after where we both killed everything of each other's?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Ground floor I bought the game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I need to see how far a ponyman moves with a gotta go fast bless when I get home.

I want to do xibalba strats but with nordic supermen instead of hosed up tiny bats basically.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can anyone elaborate on how the new bless system works? I'm deffo going to pick this up come the Christmas sale; wanna play some Giant Jews™ so bad.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

i am going to buy this game but i feel bad about it

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Can anyone elaborate on how the new bless system works? I'm deffo going to pick this up come the Christmas sale; wanna play some Giant Jews™ so bad.

games on sale right now actually, only 10% off mind. The new bless system is you get 1 point per path on your pretender to spend towards a bless in that path, but only if you have 4 points or more. So a f10 pretender can choose to spend 1 point on +1 morale (as many times as it can afford) or 3 points on +2 attack, or 5 points on EXPLODING WHEN YOU DIE or 6 points on fire shield, or 7 on awe , or any combination that you can afford. Some things are much more expensive than others and some things stack and some things dont stack. Notably some blesses also require scales (cold weapons requires cold scales, eternal youth requires magic scales) Also some blesses are passive and always in effect, such as wasteland survival, where as most require something to bless your units.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow, that sounds WAY cool if you're going down a bless path. Definitely one for the wishlist then!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I bought game, might return it tho because idk if Dominions 2018 is worth $35 to a scrub like me who builds a lovely pretender, struggles to expand early game, bumbles through mid game, and either gets bored in late game or one time I was Agartha and cast Utterdark and chain summoned Tartarians and that's the only time I actually followed through on killing off the AI, but honestly I'd probably "won" 100 turns earlier because the AI can't actually react to emergent situations. Also all those problems * 10 when it comes to multiplayer.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

i am going to buy this game but i feel bad about it

x2

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol that the last patch included a fix for too many dang units exploding making the game break.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

jBrereton posted:

lol that the last patch included a fix for too many dang units exploding making the game break.

its a feature not a bug!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I bought this game and feel bad about it.

I'm not going to stop.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So...there's a hard timer of sorts on games now, other than simply people getting more power? Everyone can lose? Can someone explain that last screenshot, please?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

So...there's a hard timer of sorts on games now, other than simply people getting more power? Everyone can lose? Can someone explain that last screenshot, please?
If you turn on a special condition called Cataclysm (where you set a turn and horrors attack after then), the game can end if all the thrones get eaten.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Help, I'm screwed! I just purchased this awful game.

It's never too early to start sandbagging.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So just how good is this new realtime battle system thing, is it the bee's knees?

I really love the idea of Dominions but I played about a dozen hours of Dom4 and liked it, but just never really got it.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Drone posted:

So just how good is this new realtime battle system thing, is it the bee's knees?

I really love the idea of Dominions but I played about a dozen hours of Dom4 and liked it, but just never really got it.

There are mysterious pauses where everyone just stops and stares at each other. It may be a bug as it seems related to fliers?

1.) Everyone stops and my big flying lion pretender takes off into the air like a dragoon jumping in Final Fantasy.
2.) After about a two second pause, everyone goes back to fighting realtime.
3.) About 8 seconds later, everyone freezes, and then two seconds after that, the flying lion lands next to something and ganks them.

I did try the cave bat nation which has a ton of fliers and did not notice the issue as dramatically (they seemed to take off and land quickly), but they were small units and not pretenders. Maybe a bug, maybe intended for dramatic tension, maybe a flubbed attempt to hide the seams of a simultaneous turn system running.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

boho posted:

There are mysterious pauses where everyone just stops and stares at each other. It may be a bug as it seems related to fliers?

1.) Everyone stops and my big flying lion pretender takes off into the air like a dragoon jumping in Final Fantasy.
2.) After about a two second pause, everyone goes back to fighting realtime.
3.) About 8 seconds later, everyone freezes, and then two seconds after that, the flying lion lands next to something and ganks them.

I did try the cave bat nation which has a ton of fliers and did not notice the issue as dramatically (they seemed to take off and land quickly), but they were small units and not pretenders. Maybe a bug, maybe intended for dramatic tension, maybe a flubbed attempt to hide the seams of a simultaneous turn system running.

It's the thing actually flying away at some point before the sprite actually goes all goku. I noticed the same behavior. If you have other units they will go attack that instead of just standing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

boho posted:

maybe a flubbed attempt to hide the seams of a simultaneous turn system running.

Probably this, because it's not exactly that everyone is doing their things all at once, I would put it more akin to an RPG active battle where you have speed ratings and fill up your action bar, once action bar is filled, you get a turn, but an enemy might fill their bar up twice before your 1 full bar, so they get 2 actions before you get 1. So the game probably has to resolve the manticore god move before the next move happens, whether it's his ally or on the other side.

There's still a turn order but it's not defender then attacker then defender etc.