Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
There's a Dishoom in King's Cross as well if you want it to be right there. Or just get on a bus or tube for 10 minutes to Soho or Fitzrovia for many excellent options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Went to flavour bastard yesterday - soft launch. Good, interesting food if occasionally a bit too experimental. A little pricey if you aren't getting food half price. Wasn't a fan of the ricecake with Kim Chee, the fried chicken was great, sweet potato dish would be better served hot imo. Smoked goat was tasty.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/it-looks-like-tayyabs-might-have-been-closed-by-the-authorities-083017

If it doesn't re-open anyone is welcome to join me in rioting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tayyabs has been shut down!

https://twitter.com/prashantrao/status/903189403530653696

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Don't panic, apparently it's reopened as of lunchtime today.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Any general recommendations for Covent Garden? Big Easy is tried and true but interested in alternatives. Have a mate coming down who sadly has to be a functioning adult the next day.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
On The Bab is really good and quite different. Good for sharing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BizarroAzrael posted:

Any general recommendations for Covent Garden? Big Easy is tried and true but interested in alternatives. Have a mate coming down who sadly has to be a functioning adult the next day.

There's a Franco Manca virtually opposite Big Easy?

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
Opera Tavern is good for sharing if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Big Easy used to be good.

They have jacked their prices up and the quantity and quality has reduced.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Any recommendations for a good place for craft beer near Brixton area for a first date this Thursday? Want to stay south due to the looming threat of tube strike plus London cocktail week.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Big Easy used to be good.

They have jacked their prices up and the quantity and quality has reduced.

They also charge a 15%(?) service charge and the staff get none of it.

Big easy can go suck a fat one.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Any recommendations for a good place for craft beer near Brixton area for a first date this Thursday? Want to stay south due to the looming threat of tube strike plus London cocktail week.

I really enjoyed the boxpark - good first date food too

lokicubed
May 14, 2009
Ghost whale (beer shop with drink in and 4 taps) if you want to be just about the good beer.

Craft beer co for a more bar like feel and a big range.

Box park is loud and, depending on your personal beer snobbishness, not that interesting beer wise.

If you're willing wander a bit towards clapham along acre lane - king & co is a superb independent craft beer pub.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
When you guys say box park do you mean Pop Brixton? I do like that place and the weather shouldn't be too bad Thursday.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

When you guys say box park do you mean Pop Brixton? I do like that place and the weather shouldn't be too bad Thursday.

Yeah

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the reccos, probably will try King & Co since I've not been and yeah, the beer at Pop is a bit underwhelming. Unless you're getting 4 bottles of Chang for a tenner at the vietnamese place but probably not the best first date plan..

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

But there is also a Box Park in Shoreditch that's full of good food places too.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

The_Doctor posted:

And one in Croydon! The food there is surprisingly good but it may not be a great first date kind of place haha.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Is that Dinerama? I was there a few weeks ago, it's got a lot more going on than Pop but paying cover for the privilege of being able to go buy food feels a bit dirty. The gin stand has some interesting tonic selection however.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Is that Dinerama? I was there a few weeks ago, it's got a lot more going on than Pop but paying cover for the privilege of being able to go buy food feels a bit dirty. The gin stand has some interesting tonic selection however.

No, Boxpark is the row of popup-type places right next to the station. Dinerama is good too, if you go before a certain time (I think it's 7) it's free entry (and there'll also still be spaces to sit down).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

sweek0 posted:

And one in Croydon! The food there is surprisingly good but it may not be a great first date kind of place haha.

Freaking love Boxpark Croydon, some lovely outlets and it's a fun place to get wrecked on cocktails.

I've been trying to visit all the Street Feast venues as well, they vary widely in size and quality. Stuff like that and the Street Food Union market are part of why I like London.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Need a good breakfast spot somewhere in Central (within an hour or so from Heathrow) that will be open at 8 or 9 on a Saturday. Last time I did this I went to Dishoom and was pretty underwhelmed which is weird because everyone else raves about it. Maybe their regular menu is better than their breakfast stuff?

Don't have much on the list right now. I'm eyeing NOPI, but they don't open till 10. I guess I could hang around and have coffee somewhere before they open, but I'd rather find somewhere that'll be open earlier.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

Need a good breakfast spot somewhere in Central (within an hour or so from Heathrow) that will be open at 8 or 9 on a Saturday. Last time I did this I went to Dishoom and was pretty underwhelmed which is weird because everyone else raves about it. Maybe their regular menu is better than their breakfast stuff?

Don't have much on the list right now. I'm eyeing NOPI, but they don't open till 10. I guess I could hang around and have coffee somewhere before they open, but I'd rather find somewhere that'll be open earlier.

The Wolseley. Near Green Park station. You'll need to book.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Dishoom has been pretty good for me, maybe you got unlucky. There's Granger & Co. at King's X which is a possibility. Dean Street Townhouse near-ish Covent Garden. Duck & Waffle at Liverpool Street. Classic option of The Wolseley at Green Park.

Opposite NOPI is Sartoria which is open early, but I've never been. Fancy Italian breakfast does sound slightly intriguing, I guess. I don't think any of these will be better than NOPI, but they are all open from like 8-9am and are convenient for Heathrow.

e: oh snap

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jeza posted:

Dishoom has been pretty good for me, maybe you got unlucky. There's Granger & Co. at King's X which is a possibility. Dean Street Townhouse near-ish Covent Garden. Duck & Waffle at Liverpool Street. Classic option of The Wolseley at Green Park.

Opposite NOPI is Sartoria which is open early, but I've never been. Fancy Italian breakfast does sound slightly intriguing, I guess. I don't think any of these will be better than NOPI, but they are all open from like 8-9am and are convenient for Heathrow.

e: oh snap

Dean St is a pro recommendation but a bit less convenient than the Wolseley.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Woseley and Dean Street Townhouse are both a little pricier than I wanted (saving my pennies for Ledbury in December!) but drat do they both look good.

I'll check out Granger & Co. Feel free to suggest more stuff! I'm trying to keep the commute at or under 1h15m.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Riding House Cafe is good if you want somewhere you can book

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There's also the Rail House Cafe which has just opened opposite Victoria station, same people as Riding House Cafe but I think a smaller menu.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Any birthday lunch suggestions? Was going to be Madame D's but they're not open on the right day.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Any birthday lunch suggestions? Was going to be Madame D's but they're not open on the right day.

That's quite vague. Location, budget, cuisine?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Dishoom.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'm going to Tayyabs, any unmissable dishes?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Bollock Monkey posted:

Lamb chops.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Mixed grill platter.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

sweek0 posted:

Lamb chops.

Seconding this

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bollock Monkey posted:

All the starters are incredible. Make a meal of the starters, forget the curries.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I am not a big fan of lamb and I wanted to eat those chops forever. Gosh.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Beavertown has announced it's closing down Duke's Brew and Que in Haggerston, one of the only good BBQ places in London.

RIP best burnt ends and mac & cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

reality_groove posted:

Beavertown has announced it's closing down Duke's Brew and Que in Haggerston, one of the only good BBQ places in London.

RIP best burnt ends and mac & cheese

Beavertown owned that?

RIP best BBQ in London