Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

FrozenLederhosen posted:

Why was he so adamant this wouldn't be a thing? Or does he just throw in the occasional devil's advocate argument to throw us off?
no no, you'll find he called it like every other thing related to star citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

When waving this claim about you don't actually own a negro, no Sir. What this claim does offer the owner is the legally actionable right to compel a dark-skinned person to comply with their commands. Obviously this allows you to prosper from the labor of others without the burden of feeling like a slave owner.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

drluv posted:

So, will I be able to buy me an immersive space outbox?

If you ask chris roberts, yes absolutely you will. We hope to some day implement realistic movements, both bowel and otherwise, to the universe... *waves hands*

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat the only stage left is selling unity assets straight off the store. We are almost there

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Toops posted:

I can't wait to play "Star and Away"

Can't wait to see a herd of bald-pated citizens standing behind the ribbon on Claim Day, waiting for the Croberts in-game avatar to cut it with a cake knife so they can dash for their piece of the dream!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Well, I just can't wait to be a part of Planet Goon, with it's Twin Dong Towers featuring Goatse portal door flairs...

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TheAgent posted:

just how the gently caress are they going to deal with this poo poo. even if they had a procgen seed it can't also handle a shitload of custom player crafted objects on the surface as well without taking up a ridiculous amount of HDD space

reminder you can see a fuckin flashlight from orbit, every player base is going to absolutely tank your framerate to sub fractions of a single digit

Don't forget, these bases will have to be globally persistent. In a game that can't even remember where you logged out. In a game that shoots you into deep orbit when you step on a rock weird. In a game where the ship doors slowly float away while the whole thing jitters and slides along the ground for no loving reason. In a game that has 2 moons you can fall through and nothing else.

But hey. At least they got the loving Argon ratio figured out.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
this will end up as a hangar module add-on and you still won't be able to have your friends visit

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spectrum is madd, reddit is slightly mad.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
They've essentially just sold the whole project down the river and into loony land

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
This was the option that was directly after 'get another bank loan' I'm guessing

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

They've essentially just sold the whole project down the river and into loony land

No loot crates, so checkmate, guun.

SomethingJones posted:

This was the option that was directly after 'get another bank loan' I'm guessing

Guessing that the 3.0 release is effectively the thing that Coutts was banked on. This is probably the 2017/2018 revenue stream.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also who the gently caress was the guy that looked at plot pricing and said "well we got a 4x4 for $50, and um so if we are selling an 8x8 it should be just double because 4 times to 2 is 8 and that's double"

like how dumb are you motherfuckers, you're selling 4x the amount of land for 25% of the cost

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Guys

GUYS

HOLD ON

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Daztek posted:

Guys

GUYS

HOLD ON

TECHNICALLY HE DIDN'T LIE *waves hands like crazy*

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I suppose they'll expect to be building bases and stuff.

Um, has anyone asked the question of 'how' exactly are they going to get their basterdized version of Cryengine to allow players to alter the landscape and then to make sure every single other player can see a particular plot of land is inhabited?

I mean, at the moment, you can just take someones $1k chariot by standing on a turret and pressing 'use' to clip in, or you can just clip through the geometry to get in, you can steal vending machines from the space station, you can push shop keepers through walls, you can glitch in every perceivable way, and they are brazen enough to start charging money for patches of dirt that you can fall through?

I, I just, this loving game man, CIG, you epic sleaze balls, you have just set a new bar for sleazey money grabbing, you are the loving Arthur Daileys of games development, you are Richard Nixon levels of corrupt, you are walking Juiceros without working wifi, you are a pyrimid of pyrimid schemes stacked up in the shape of a pyrimid, your multi level marketing has so many sleazey corrupt levels that Donkey Kong could spend 1000 years throwing barrels down and never hear a single one hit the bottom, I just cannot find the words.

Scumlords.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 28, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Guys

GUYS

HOLD ON

yup heres the new narrative of "it's the availability to stake a claim on a parcel that can be worked on by anyone but you own it and can punish other people but really who can own land, land comes from GOD and only THROUGH JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF can you be saved, thank you for tuning in, please donate to get my grandmother out of hell and to heal this sick puppy"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

So many shills pointing out there's no advantage and completely sidestepping the fact that all the best plots are gonna be gone day one lol

The mental gymnastics on this one are the same ones they used to explain why buying UEC and ships with real money wasn't pay to win.

Even the FAQ agrees with the backers

quote:

Will I have an advantage over other players if I buy a claim license now?

No. Licenses can be bought for UEC in game and no one will be able to claim land before the mechanic is available in game for all. People that own claim licenses now, during the anniversary sale to support development, and :siren:people that earn the money in-game to buy one will be on equal footing assuming they have enough UEC:siren:, especially as there will be millions of locations for people to explore and claim within the Universe over the life time of the game.

By it's loving definition this is a paid advantage. I went through the extremely simple logic when describing how buying ships was pay2win.

Any backers reading this I'll do it again. Slowly.

Person A pays $100 for a land claim.
Person B earns UEC to buy a land claim over (Time)
Person A uses (Time), that person B is using to simply arrive at their level, to gain (Advantage) in skills, money, items whatever.

You can't just go "There is zero advantage to buying this. None. Absolutely not. Assuming they have the funds to also buy what you did and you ignore the time it took them to earn those funds, the surplus of time you had when compared to them and anything you earned in addition to the land claim.

I mean I get it. CIG is telling lies to scam money and the backers are in a cult but this is some of the most simple logic they are bypassing here. Two people are climbing a mountain. One guy pays for a helicopter to drop him off halfway up. According to CIG the helicopter guy is not at an advantage when climbing the mountain because they are assuming the other guy will eventually be at the halfway point too. What?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

yup heres the new narrative of "it's the availability to stake a claim on a parcel that can be worked on by anyone but you own it and can punish other people but really who can own land, land comes from GOD and only THROUGH JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF can you be saved, thank you for tuning in, please donate to get my grandmother out of hell and to heal this sick puppy"

:smug:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

So many shills pointing out there's no advantage and completely sidestepping the fact that all the best plots are gonna be gone day one lol
Well there's no gameplay so how can there be a good or bad plot. It's all the same featureless void. And I mean gameplay features. None of those.

I mean I guess some of them might fall through the geometry and fire you into orbit but are those the good or bad ones???

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Guys

GUYS

HOLD ON

If this doesn't constitute fraud then that word has no meaning anymore.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

They are selling garden darts!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
taking a page right outta dereks playbook right there

"Go back and read what I wrote. Slowly. I'll wait. Educate yourself before speaking."

all tyler there needs is a "go gently caress yourself" and he could 100% pass as dereks alt, OSC

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

"Please Note: These claim licenses are being made available for pledging to help fund Star Citizen’s development. The ability to obtain these claim licenses will ultimately be available for in-game credits and/or otherwise earnable through play in the game. Pledging for these claim licenses now allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen game, and is not required for starting the game."

"A claim beacon is a staff-shaped piece of hardware used in conjunction with a claim license to procure a section of land. "

quote:

verb: procure; 3rd person present: procures; past tense: procured; past participle: procured; gerund or present participle: procuring
obtain (something), especially with care or effort.
"food procured for the rebels"
synonyms: obtain, acquire, get, find, come by, secure, pick up; More
obtain (someone) as a prostitute for another person.
"he was charged with procuring a minor"
synonyms: pimp
"the police found that he was procuring"
LAW
persuade or cause (someone) to do something.
"he procured his wife to sign the agreement"

Weird word choice for not-land not-selling.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 28, 2017

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

I'm so happy that the stupid as poo poo arguement is the one they've told their CS people to go with.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

FrozenLederhosen posted:

I love how it's $60.50

Because, no really, this was the result of a complex equation to consider all the variables and margins that end up being fair to the consumer.

The price has nothing to do with 'fair'-ness or any of the variables in the market/econ equation when the company in question asserts that it is only and monopolistic presence in selling assets of space dreams. You clearly lack the faith of a blue-blooded Space Resident to understand this

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drunk Theory posted:

I'm so happy that the stupid as poo poo arguement is the one they've told their CS people to go with.

"If someone destroys my beacon what happens to my claim on the land?
The destruction of a beacon is a criminal offense but has no impact on who holds legal title to the land. Because they provide a basic level of remote monitoring capability, though, owners may wish to replace any units that are rendered inoperative."

So the land itself has title. My, I wonder if that means it's 'owned' and not just about the claim staff.

I'm in semiotic and semantic heaven right now.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

also who the gently caress was the guy that looked at plot pricing and said "well we got a 4x4 for $50, and um so if we are selling an 8x8 it should be just double because 4 times to 2 is 8 and that's double"

like how dumb are you motherfuckers, you're selling 4x the amount of land for 25% of the cost

you honestly think the land size was something they considered? They just picked two numbers that sounded big enough and plopped them on the site. They have no intention of ever getting land claims working. Their only consideration is how many beacons they can sell. Price points. Cheap enough that it doesn't look like a cash grab but pricey enough to net them some fundage. Cash only. Land availability be damned.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

"Please Note: These claim licenses are being made available for pledging to help fund Star Citizen’s development. The ability to obtain these claim licenses will ultimately be available for in-game credits and/or otherwise earnable through play in the game. Pledging for these claim licenses now allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen game, and is not required for starting the game."

"A claim beacon is a staff-shaped piece of hardware used in conjunction with a claim license to procure a section of land. "

Weird word choice for not-land not-selling.

Deeper features? As in...

More Argon?

I strongly feel that there just isn't enough ppm of Argon in the alcove where the Big Bennys is,

rectify plz.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Daztek posted:

Guys

GUYS

HOLD ON

There are going to be a few articles about Star Citizen selling land and backers are going to go nuclear buttmad with the already accepted rebuttal

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Logicsol living up to his username.

quote:

They aren't selling land.
They are selling the claim title needed to legally place a claim beacon in the UEE. You still need to physically scout and file claim to use it.
Which also isn't needed outside of UEE space.
And even in UEE space, it doesn't prevent others from using the land, just makes it a crime to do so without permission.

Bonus points for whichever outlet bitches out again and retracts their statements or includes an update at the top of the article explaining how this isn't a bad thing for star citizen guys this is actually a good thing.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hot balls man no homo posted:

you honestly think the land size was something they considered? They just picked two numbers that sounded big enough and plopped them on the site. They have no intention of ever getting land claims working. Their only consideration is how many beacons they can sell. Price points. Cheap enough that it doesn't look like a cash grab but pricey enough to net them some fundage. Cash only. Land availability be damned.
nothing about this project is ever thought out, but still

at least make it 4x the cost of a 4x4 plot, there's a good money bein' a-wasted

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I just wanna say thank you Christ Roberts for making my really lovely day a bit brighter

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Deeper features? As in...

Just read these two paragraphs. They're literally next to each other in the FAQ;

Does a claim license grant give me a specific parcel of land?

No. A claim license enables you to choose the location of your parcel from billions of square kilometers of public land designated for private ownership specifically within UEE space.

How do I scout for land?

Scouting for land is often a multi-step process, with the type and amount of analysis done usually dependent upon the intended purpose. One of the key factors considered is typically location, with different players weighting things like the proximity to other mining deposits, commercial production facilities, and retail outlets based upon their ultimate objective. The grade of the terrain should be considered, as the construction of an outpost requires a fairly even surface. Weather can have a dramatic impact on the commercial viability of an area of land, as frequent sandstorms, electrical storms, high winds, snow, and other environmental factors can significantly impede the potential of an area. Security is a common consideration, as piracy and theft are always a financial drag on those seeking to earn a lawful living. For most, though, the primary determinant as to the value of a parcel of land is what it contains above and below the surface. Obtaining an accurate assessment to this effect may require a considerable investment in terms of both time and money, and may involve taking core samples and having them analyzed, performing seismographic surveys, and other such scientific and engineering challenges.

----

If you're not seeing the logical issue there....You're claiming a parcel that you scout, presumably because it has value, but you can't select the bit you want?

Did an intern come up with this?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheAgent posted:

that's if each one starts in the same quadrant and no one decides to place their beacon in a way that doesn't line up with other people. like so you place yours 3km away from the other guy, that land can't be staked by anyone because it's too small

that's also not counting POIs, or quest areas that are needed for like players to do things

the whole loving thing just won't work whatsoever without years of development time and 10s of millions and millions of dollars

Don't worry. I'm sure CIG will pick up this community idea very quickly: :D

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
listen, thread outsiders, please don't buy crobberts land

go ahead and buy a sex worker something nice from tiffanys, its a far better investment

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Bonus points for whichever outlet bitches out again and retracts their statements or includes an update at the top of the article explaining how this isn't a bad thing for star citizen guys this is actually a good thing.

It blows my mind how skillfully they placed this landmine and promptly stomped on it with both feet with this not-selling-land fiasco.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm so happy I can watch this wreck unfold from the outside.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Did an intern come up with this?
considering that's most of their work force now, probably

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
A week after the thermonuclear meltdown over lootboxes and Chris decides to go ahead with the $60 cash grab. There is no way this could backfire!

I wanna say hes gone too far, but theres really no telling with these spergs. Blatent pay2win hardly phases them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
What does the funding tracker say?