Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

good thing they all sit together in an open office now, they can collaborate on a solution even faster than before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
you could say theyre just applying this new open philosophy to their computers. information wants to be free

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

:nsavince:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

when you've lost The Management, you know it's bad

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it only works because the os assumed that you can't enter the root password because your keyboard has been disabled by dust

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it only works because the os assumed that you can't enter the root password because your keyboard has been disabled by dust

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this keyboard is hosed up

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I had a hard time with it for the first few weeks but I think there is some amount of breaking in that happens because the presses seem to have softened and I like it a lot now

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I had a hard time with it for the first few weeks but I think there is some amount of breaking in that happens because the presses seem to have softened and I like it a lot now

its def like half new tactile feel and half paranoid that everything I do willl break it given recent reports

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

that was your soul breaking

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Last Chance posted:

that was your soul breaking

feels gr8

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

good thing they all sit together in an open office now, they can collaborate on a solution even faster than before

lol important people don't sit in an open office. they get a private one.

Also, AirPods and iPad were the best selling electronics on cyber monday. iPad is back baby!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

eric posted:

who was it who said "show me a c-level who proudly has a desk in an open plan office, and ill show you an unbookable conference room nearby"?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
amateur hour, you release that tweet at 5pm on a Friday just before a holiday weekend so the fucktards responsible have to work instead of being off.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

trialling their process to make faceid faster

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lmaooooo

https://twitter.com/0xAmit/status/935646410820726784

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 29, 2017

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

ok but this guys twitter handle is not even valid hexadecimal

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

probably not a very good hacker man is all I’m saying

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
how likely is it that changing the root password to "fix" this will gently caress up something internal that relies on a root with empty password

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
isn't the issue that a root account doesn't exist until you do this, then it creates one with a blank password?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

infernal machines posted:

isn't the issue that a root account doesn't exist until you do this, then it creates one with a blank password?

idk, you're probably right, tho that is somehow even stupider?

osx has been "rootless" since el capitan, has anyone tried this bug on an older osx?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

poty posted:

was a public tweet to apple support really the best way to disclose this

hard to build a ~*~personal brand~*~ with private disclosures

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

you could say theyre just applying this new open philosophy to their computers. information wants to be free

good to see rms back in mainstream programming after so many years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eric posted:

the new spaceship is like 95% open plan

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

in some underground hydroponic bunker nestles ive and timb enjoying the one proven medical herb steve ever knew

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

qirex posted:

so sad

I have fond memories of cubes and apple should too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I don’t even believe this

are you all guys in on the joke ?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I don’t even believe this

are you all guys in on the joke ?

i’m so sorry

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79235#234143 last answer

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

It's a feature!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol just over 2 weeks ago

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

qirex posted:

turns out 95% of employees are unimportant

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
idea for a youtube viral video: discreetly root all the macs in the apple store and install goatse screensavers on them

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

poty posted:

was a public tweet to apple support really the best way to disclose this

its better than it being a secret and getting ignored

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the funny part is that unless you do the thing in the tweet (elevate as root so the system un-disables the account), you actually can't log in as root because the account is disabled.

:thunk:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

uncurable mlady posted:

the funny part is that unless you do the thing in the tweet (elevate as root so the system un-disables the account), you actually can't log in as root because the account is disabled.

:thunk:

i thought people were triggering it other ways as well, without having first done the method in the tweet

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

idk, you're probably right, tho that is somehow even stupider?

osx has been "rootless" since el capitan, has anyone tried this bug on an older osx?

rootless is misnomer. what it actually means is that the root privilege level is no longer equal to kernel privilege level. that is, root (sudo, whatever) can administer the system, but they can't damage the kernel integrity anymore (by loading random drivers, scribbling memory, deleting system files).

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

infernal machines posted:

i thought people were triggering it other ways as well, without having first done the method in the tweet

idk, seems like you need to get authd to try and elevate and then something happens and boom

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so it could hypothetically be scripted, but probably not triggered remotely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Linguica posted:

when you've lost The Management, you know it's bad

i'm sure they still have Last Chance though