Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

listen, thread outsiders, please don't buy crobberts land

go ahead and buy a sex worker something nice from tiffanys, its a far better investment
please include a gift receipt and buy it with cash if you've never done this kinda thing before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Still, after 3+ years, this game keeps delivering. It's just staggering
Delivering on the comic level, but it's still delivering isn't it
This is true development

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Lladre posted:

What does the funding tracker say?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

What does the funding tracker say?
hard to say, the daily tally won't be up until tomorrow

since the hour of announcement tho, $115k has come in. just have to wait at this point

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

considering that's most of their work force now, probably

They're attempting to come up with another currency. They obviously watched the South Park episode.

"Why is the UEE selling claim licenses?
The UEE sells claim licenses for the same reasons as any government – to raise revenue to fund public benefit programs, to liberalize its economy, to spur growth and tax revenue, and to fund the military campaign against the Vanduul."

The other one has bells on.

TheAgent posted:

please include a gift receipt and buy it with cash if you've never done this kinda thing before

Also works with wives.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hahaha goddamn that tracker is loving anemic lol

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

TheAgent posted:

listen, thread outsiders, please don't buy crobberts land

go ahead and buy a sex worker something nice from tiffanys, its a far better investment

On the contrary, buy all the things. Buy land, buy generic-outpost-that-looks-suspiciously-exactly-like-that-one-halo-outpost-no42 thats for sure waiting for you sometime next year, buy your 50$ outhouse, buy your 150$ lawnmower that punches above its weight, while also being stealthy and agile. Keep the dream alive, Citizen.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wuxi posted:

On the contrary, buy all the things. Buy land, buy generic-outpost-that-looks-suspiciously-exactly-like-that-one-halo-outpost-no42 thats for sure waiting for you sometime next year, buy your 50$ outhouse, buy your 150$ lawnmower that punches above its weight, while also being stealthy and agile. Keep the dream alive, Citizen.
also do this

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
reddit: "I have defended CIG at almost every step of the way, but selling land is absolutely idiotic and asking for trouble"

280 comments in under an hour. Yes that is fast.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wuxi posted:

Is that the plan?
Chris is actually directing Trainspotting 3?

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Hav posted:

Just read these two paragraphs. They're literally next to each other in the FAQ;

Does a claim license grant give me a specific parcel of land?

No. A claim license enables you to choose the location of your parcel from billions of square kilometers of public land designated for private ownership specifically within UEE space.

How do I scout for land?

Scouting for land is often a multi-step process, with the type and amount of analysis done usually dependent upon the intended purpose. One of the key factors considered is typically location, with different players weighting things like the proximity to other mining deposits, commercial production facilities, and retail outlets based upon their ultimate objective. The grade of the terrain should be considered, as the construction of an outpost requires a fairly even surface. Weather can have a dramatic impact on the commercial viability of an area of land, as frequent sandstorms, electrical storms, high winds, snow, and other environmental factors can significantly impede the potential of an area. Security is a common consideration, as piracy and theft are always a financial drag on those seeking to earn a lawful living. For most, though, the primary determinant as to the value of a parcel of land is what it contains above and below the surface. Obtaining an accurate assessment to this effect may require a considerable investment in terms of both time and money, and may involve taking core samples and having them analyzed, performing seismographic surveys, and other such scientific and engineering challenges.

----

If you're not seeing the logical issue there....You're claiming a parcel that you scout, presumably because it has value, but you can't select the bit you want?

Did an intern come up with this?

They have no idea why they're doing and scrambling as the money dries up. Phenomenal.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Captain posted:

280 comments in under an hour. Yes that is fast.

They're only going to top this by not having a boob slider on the female avatar.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

So when are they going to have ship-loot boxes. Pay 100$ and get a random jpeg?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Years from now there will be an interview of Crobblers.

He'll either be in a maximum security jail doing the "mindhunter" thing with an FBI person, or in his villa on some tropical island having cocktails with a reporter. The discussion will follow the same pattern:

- And I kept selling *nothing*; concept ships that most probably would never exist, and certainly not in a game..
*both laugh*
- And then, ahhahaha, and then, ahahahahaha, I sold land on the moons too.
*both laugh shaking and spilling some of their drinks around*

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

nothing about this project is ever thought out, but still

at least make it 4x the cost of a 4x4 plot, there's a good money bein' a-wasted

The math is a bit sketch but you know there are some "savvy" citizens who did the math and saw that for a little more than twice the price, you can buy 4 times the land! You'd be an idiot not to go for the more expensive option! So much land!

Land that will never be yours dudes. You got tricked.

and just for reference, the PUBG map is roughly 8x8 kilometers. They are selling whole map sized areas with nothing on them.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
lol if Chris just killed the golden goose. You could have just sold more Javelins, discount carriers, or the 42nd ship that punches above it's weight. Walk this back immediately unless you have to bet the farm.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Aurra posted:

So when are they going to have ship-loot boxes. Pay 100$ and get a random jpeg?

Random jpeg as in, it's a file with a jpeg header and a string of random numbers. If you're lucky, your $100 will resolve into an actual readable image.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hot balls man no homo posted:

The math is a bit sketch but you know there are some "savvy" citizens who did the math and saw that for a little more than twice the price, you can buy 4 times the land! You'd be an idiot not to go for the more expensive option! So much land!

Land that will never be yours dudes. You got tricked.

and just for reference, the PUBG map is roughly 8x8 kilometers. They are selling whole map sized areas with nothing on them.

dreams. dreams are on that land. and they are bigger than anything braben and his vile ilk can produce

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen: Extinction Landclaim Event

Star Citizen: plotting against landwhales since 2012

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Sorry boys. Selling vouchers for land is still selling land. The ability to choose which land you have purchased is just a perk of the type of voucher you are selling.

You can not, in any capacity, at all try and make the argument that you are not selling land just because it doesn't come with specifics.

You have set a monetary value for measurements of land that you are charging people. That is selling land. The distinction that the land location is unspecified is completely meaningless and has no bearing on the conversation other than to describe the attributes of the loving land that you bought.

CIG is apparently Trailer Park Boys now and RickyZyloh-CIG is explaining to the police that he wasn't running an illegal gas station out of garbage cans because nobody paid for gas. They just paid for tickets to park where he happened to have gasoline in garbage cans long enough for their cars to be full of gas.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 28, 2017

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

How long before they start charging rent for forum posts?

Will it be per word or per sentance, will there be discounts for long paragraphs?

Will image links incurr a fixed penalty unless screen space is pre-booked?

How long until they start selling their plasma?

Seriously though, $60 for a plot pole is LMAO!!!!!!

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 28, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheAgent posted:

dreams. dreams are on that land. and they are bigger than anything braben and his vile ilk can produce

at least 2 or 3 skyrims worth of dreams, with as much argon as you can afford

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

I like this reframing:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

TheAgent posted:

also who the gently caress was the guy that looked at plot pricing and said "well we got a 4x4 for $50, and um so if we are selling an 8x8 it should be just double because 4 times to 2 is 8 and that's double"

like how dumb are you motherfuckers, you're selling 4x the amount of land for 25% of the cost

all that matters is getting $100 out of someone instead of $50.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Citizens are funny dumb

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

taking a page right outta dereks playbook right there

"Go back and read what I wrote. Slowly. I'll wait. Educate yourself before speaking."

all tyler there needs is a "go gently caress yourself" and he could 100% pass as dereks alt, OSC

So is Derek going to admit he was wrong or is he going to agree with CIG's definition of selling land?

Today is so good.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Sorry boys. Selling vouchers for land is still selling land. The ability to choose which land you have purchased is just a perk of the type of voucher you are selling.

You can not, in any capacity, at all try and make the argument that you are not selling land just because it doesn't come with specifics.

You have set a monetary value for measurements of land that you are charging people. That is selling land. The distinction that the land location is unspecified is completely meaningless and has no bearing on the conversation other than to describe the attributes of the loving land that you bought.
I swear its like japanese pachinko machines

"you're not gambling! you are playing for a prize of a fluffy little purple ball that you can simply go next door to a place totally not related to us and exchange for real money. BUT ITS NOT loving GAMBLING OKAY"

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm working right now, someone get some good "then and now" screencaps lmao. I'm never letting this one die.

I grabbed a bunch of pre-announcement reddit posts about how CIG is definitely not going to do land claims, and how it'd be a super bad idea if they did. I think I need better things to do with my time tbh

It'll be interesting to see whether any of these people do dramatic 180s.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

at least 2 or 3 skyrims worth of dreams, with as much argon as you can afford
(an aside I opened a bottle of p fuckin awesome chardonnay to enjoy this new loving hilarity and also am anticipating my not so secret xmas gift, skyrim VR on the PS4)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

his nibs posted:

Citizens are funny dumb

Now now. No need for the strike-out — one does not exclude the other

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Abuminable posted:

I like this reframing:

Are there even jpegs of the police who will show up to protect your nonexistent tracker on your nonexistent land?

I mean they're not selling land, right? They're technically selling the dream of someone protecting your dream of owning a beach front house on a dream of a planet in the dream of UEE territory.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Stupid Crowdfunding Accomplishment Mausoleum > Star Citizen: You know nothing about real estate development

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Enchanted Hat posted:

I grabbed a bunch of pre-announcement reddit posts about how CIG is definitely not going to do land claims, and how it'd be a super bad idea if they did. I think I need better things to do with my time tbh

It'll be interesting to see whether any of these people do dramatic 180s.
hahaha those are hilarious

NO NO ROBERTS WOULD NEVER BETRAY US, HAVE FAITH AND STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE GOON FUD CAMPAIGN

*a week later*

um I guess I was wrong? lol! anyway 3.0 is amazing

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

also who the gently caress was the guy that looked at plot pricing and said "well we got a 4x4 for $50, and um so if we are selling an 8x8 it should be just double because 4 times to 2 is 8 and that's double"

like how dumb are you motherfuckers, you're selling 4x the amount of land for 25% of the cost

Which will only make Citizens buy the 8x8 before CIG notice the "mistake". Bargain.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

So is Derek going to admit he was wrong or is he going to agree with CIG's definition of selling land?

Today is so good.

:allears:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Abuminable posted:

I like this reframing:

What will the (as yet unmade) police do once they are called? Blow your ship up and leave the wreckage to block the land anyway. :D

There has been absolutely no thought other than "MILK THE NERDS" put into this. :D

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Are there even jpegs of the police who will show up to protect your nonexistent tracker on your nonexistent land?

I mean they're not selling land, right? They're technically selling the dream of someone protecting your dream of owning a beach front house on a dream of a planet in the dream of UEE territory.
I guess you have to hire players on spectrum who would in no way whatsoever gently caress you completely over and just take your poo poo

I hope they release a prison planet where 95% of all the playerbase would reside, I would actually play the gently caress outta a chronicles of riddic style prison FPS

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
The biggest land claim is 8km x 8km - 64 square kilometres. How are you even going to use all that space? The game can't handle a fraction of the disgusting spacepoor serfs that you would need to farm that kind of land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
crobberts, release the prison planet for my goon brethren

I nominate :pgabz: as our angry prison king