Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Xaerael posted:

TECHNICALLY HE DIDN'T LIE *waves hands like crazy*

Technically he's right. Just like they're not selling land, they're also not selling ships. They're selling jpegs of a ship :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen: No, We're Selling The Concept Of Land

That one has my vote.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

MilesK posted:

Does the land stick thing come with insurance for the stuff you build on it, or is that a separate purchase?

:stare:

Never even thought of that. Anyone could just buy the cheapest ship and crash it into your habitat/pioneer/weedfarm.

CiG is going to makes tens of millions selling goon insurance.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Youtube votes are nearly even split atm: 997▲ 849▼

In other news the Anvil Crucible (sold to backers in Oct 2014) is entering whitebox phase which is like a general 3d shape or something. LOL

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wow they really did it, land for sale (gently caress you zyloh mincing words little poo poo)

I expect we will have an official statement from Chris within 24 hours trying to quell the backlash

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Trilobite posted:

A month from now, they'll have forgiven CIG and forgotten whatever hurt feelings they have today.

A month? Motherfucker, Citizens are already reconciling this.

quote:

after reading that, it isnt that bad really, more like a cool feature, i imagine doing something like security firms that would be cool. maybe the prebuy thing is a bit early but thats all

quote:

The problem is kids dont read before using mommys credit card and then expect a secret underwater base in their moon land as well as a burried Bengal carrier.

quote:

I'm really curious how the pitchfork mob are imagining someone buying a land claim license is going to affect their own gameplay in a universe with millions-billions of land plot spaces available.
Not to mention that a claim means nothing without finding the right spot and defending it making any pledge for a claim license now worth nothing more than the UEC it costs to purchase one, which sounds like the easy and cheap part of setting up a base.

quote:

I deal with property as my job. After giving this a little thought, I personally feel that CIG understands the difference between what would be freehold land (deeded) and claimed land, but the average person does not make this distinction and is angry because they feel that people can buy and utilize whole planets.

CIG would have been better to explain or even sell these as "UEE protection grants" or "UEE protection quadrants", because that is more accurate. They are not selling rights to land. They are essentially selling a security beacon to cover a certain area.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

MilesK posted:

Does the land stick thing come with insurance for the stuff you build on it, or is that a separate purchase?

Seperate purchase.

But before that, you'll have to purchase an appointment with the land registry to discuss what you want to build, then you'll have to hire an architect and have a land survey carried out, then seek planning permission and pay the fee's, you'll also have to pay to access the electricity grid and sewerage system which also means paying for access with the health and safety in space brigade, then and only then can you think about sticking your pole into the dirt.

Afterwards it's mostly just fee's and legal expenses.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

The instant they sold the base building jpeg it was 100% guaranteed land selling action, calling that was like calling the sun rising in the east.

AP posted:

It looks like the "great surprise" is a base building concept ship sale.

Called it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Blue On Blue posted:

I expect we will have an official statement from Chris within 24 hours trying to quell the backlash

Only if the media starts to put it in a bad light, Chris doesn't give half a poo poo about backers, he knows they'll keep buying.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

FailureToReport posted:

I'm hoping by the time I finish responding this isn't stupid long and some other people have posted so I'm not flooding the thread, but I really really wanted to respond to this because you nail one of the things I tried sooooooo hard to get across to backers when I was running my channel as an SC backer.

Every time CIG opened up a little and would lay out one of these new "hyper-realism" mechanics they wanted to put in game, I would talk about it in the channel and always try to frame it realistically, not in a dreamy make believe best case scenario.

The Time To Kill is a perfect example, I kept trying to stress to backers "Be careful what you wish for, because it's entirely plausible for you to spend an hour or more on a mission in your ship only to have someone decide they don't like your name, they are having a bad day, or whatever, so they kill you and it's loving over before you even have a chance to react. Now you've not only lost the time it took for you to do the mission up until encountering that player, but you've also lost the time it takes you to get back into a ship if you don't have multiple ships available or the credits to "rush" a replacement, as well as the time it takes you to get another mission, load up, and head back out."

These kind of arguments are almost always brushed aside with "Oh I'd kill them first cause I'm loving Captain Reynolds bitch!" or some version of "That's why you don't fly alone!" or maybe if they are humble something like "Well that's why there are bounty hunters and other pilots out there who will reign those kind of griefers in"...

No, there aren't. If most of the best pilots aren't griefers themselves, do you really think the others give a poo poo about you?

This game is very quickly developing into a griefer's wet loving dream. The amount of rage and suffering someone can inflict with minimal effort is near unprecedented. That never matters though because every backer I've ever argued with about this kind of stuff seems to live in a bubble of "it won't happen to me".

Good post, friend!

I think the thread collectively acknowledged that if SC ever did come out, it would literally be a mess of griefers. If nothing more than to watch people cry over their $1000 fleet getting blown up by twats in the starter ships ramming them to death as soon as it’s possible.

There’s nothing in SC that has ever acknowledged casual play like CR is trying to sell outside of the impossible to implement “PvP Slider” thing.

The imaginative role playing world of honor and authority so many high paying backers think will happen is about as fabricated as CIG making hunting and fishing and giving people the option to sell their procedurally generated kills to random open market buyers for reward and success.

Just like they say “it’s a simulator!” and then there is nothing in it remotely like a simulation. It’s like a badly designed (but very pretty) CoD clone without any of the tactics CoD may actually allow for.

Chris’ dream he thinks he is achieving is Space ARMA. The reality is a third rate “another first person shooter wow!!” game.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
For real though if CIG are going to implement The Settlers-style RTS gameplay for managing your moon fiefdoms I'm going to have to buy in for the first time. Love that poo poo.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

quote:

They sell the items that let you claim land, but so far I haven't seen them selling land itself. Is there something I've missed?

quote:

Give money -> item -> travel to planet -> survey -> place land claim spike -> build (a mechanic we still have zero insight into, much less the in game cost associated to it)
Pretty different from Money -> Land

quote:

Owning land in SWG was awesome, and this is no different. It actually created all sorts of emergent play opportunities with setting up your own shops and combat content.
Rebels would sometimes raid Imperial player owned cities and fight our guards and players. This was awesome.

The only issue that SWG had was how it polluted the landscape, but with how massive planets in this game are, I don't see that being a problem.

We need to hook the subreddit up to a generator, this spin could power Puerto Rico for a month.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Enchanted Hat posted:

For real though if CIG are going to implement The Settlers-style RTS gameplay for managing your moon fiefdoms I'm going to have to buy in for the first time. Love that poo poo.

When you say implement, do you mean

A) actually code it and make it work in game?

Or

B) Gush over it on a weekly talk show paid for by the backers, make lore posts about it, and let the community run rampant with theory crafting for years on end?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

quote:

"Pledging for these claim licenses now allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen game.." (emphasis added).

This makes it pretty clear that they need cash now. It's a veiled threat - if you don't buy these pronto, the game as you see it now is all you will ever get.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Can I own land on that big gas planet?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
THEY loving SAID "DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON REDDIT" AND THEN STARTED SELLING LAND FIVE MINUTES LATER AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

When you say implement, do you mean

A) actually code it and make it work in game?

Or

B) Gush over it on a weekly talk show paid for by the backers, make lore posts about it, and let the community run rampant with theory crafting for years on end?

The latter, obviously. No one makes video games anymore, I just want to pay Chris Roberts for my Dream License.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Milky Moor posted:

THEY loving SAID "DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON REDDIT" AND THEN STARTED SELLING LAND FIVE MINUTES LATER AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No no see it's totally different. You aren't buying the land, you're buying the stick that claims the land. And then different sticks can claim different amounts of land, I guess?

But you still have to go physically stand on the property and also something something pay for claim paperwork something something.

Look just give us the loving money

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Daztek posted:

Both have 21% VAT

The one is twice the price of the other. 8x8 is twice the size of 4x4, right?

I'm 50/50 on this being due to someone not understanding math.

Planetary Development Bureau.

TheAgent posted:

also who the gently caress was the guy that looked at plot pricing and said "well we got a 4x4 for $50, and um so if we are selling an 8x8 it should be just double because 4 times to 2 is 8 and that's double"

like how dumb are you motherfuckers, you're selling 4x the amount of land for 25% of the cost

You could generously say it's a bulk discount, but it feels more like a gently caress up.

TheAgent posted:

yup heres the new narrative of "it's the availability to stake a claim on a parcel that can be worked on by anyone but you own it and can punish other people but really who can own land, land comes from GOD and only THROUGH JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF can you be saved, thank you for tuning in, please donate to get my grandmother out of hell and to heal this sick puppy"

You're not paying for the land. You're paying the filing fee.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hey backers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8mduTEvnU0

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Trilobite posted:

Pretty much this. Most of CIG's remaining customers are rats trapped in a sealed metal box: they can't possibly chew their way out, and they won't even bother to try. A month from now, they'll have forgiven CIG and forgotten whatever hurt feelings they have today.

I don't know if CIG's customers want to see real gameplay from Star Citizen at this point, they're so wrapped up in imagining this Perfect Game that they'll never have to play.

The rats are more like the ones from Skyfall where Javier Bardem trapped them in a drum with out food and eventually they turn on each other and start cannibalizing the weak until there are only two left that have taste for rat meat. The number of faithful is decreasing and participating in their lovely forums and subreddit is turning backer against backer. Eventually there won't be any left except the most awful, devout backers. I wonder who that will be.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Lotta people itt don't understand the difference between freehold land and claimed land.

Good thing CIG does. :smug:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

:siren: SELLING POST CLAIM :siren:

I am selling a LIMITED EDITION claim to this post space.

Send me $50 via paypal and I will edit this post to whatever you want.

THIS POST CLAIM HAS LTI

ALSO I'M NOT ACTUALLY SELLING POSTS, I'M SELLING THE OPPORTUNITY TO CLAIM A POST

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

XK posted:

You're not paying for the land. You're paying the filing fee.

The claim dong also sends more precise atmospheric data to the Myweatherradar app, so you will be able to tell when you are being griefed because your claim's argon levels are low.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Countdown to Clifford posting about the moon he just bought to build a monument to his unhealthy obsession

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The license covers all the ground and all minerals and resources under the ground. Get your license to protect your valuable mining find.

"What happens if 2 people try to claim at the same time?"

"This is where data runners come in."

Wow.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
loving hell to everything

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

hot balls man no homo posted:

The rats are more like the ones from Skyfall where Javier Bardem trapped them in a drum with out food and eventually they turn on each other and start cannibalizing the weak until there are only two left that have taste for rat meat. The number of faithful is decreasing and participating in their lovely forums and subreddit is turning backer against backer. Eventually there won't be any left except the most awful, devout backers. I wonder who that will be.

Chris thinks he is Willy Wonka and the backers are all fighting to be the one to ride the glass elevator at the end.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
lol at Erin asking Chris questions like they haven't been discussing this for months. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baOd4MLeFkM&t=1148s (19:08)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

Did you like forget this is a forum where people can press that ? below your av?
He kind of owned you to be honest. He knows that most people from one forum don't read his posts on other ones so he can just post everywhere saying different things all the time and then when they come true he can just quote whichever one is right.

300 IQ :justpost:ing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

That one has my vote.

I'll hit "Star Citizen: No, We're Selling The Concept Of Land" in a little bit, I'm too busy laughing about the current title.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Virtual Captain posted:

lol at Erin asking Chris questions like they haven't been discussing this for months. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baOd4MLeFkM&t=1148s (19:08)

Unless I'm mistaken that dude on the far right is Dave Haddock

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12779-Meet-Dave-Haddock

This project is not good for your health.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 29, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Lost in all the land grab noise- they apparently are doing a ground up rework on yet another ship, this time the Mustang.

Game is never coming out.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
64 square kilometers

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Allright, so you can claim land. Once you do, it'll just be a barren useless piece of terrain right ? So the only interest in acquiring a piece of land is for housing purposes. So it'd be logical that they'd start selling buildings next.

How much ? Place your bets.

Would be pretty fun if a single building was as expensive as a ship, like $500. Would love to see the face of the guys who got a land claim but couldn't afford a building that goes on it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

XK posted:

The one is twice the price of the other. 8x8 is twice the size of 4x4, right?

Bargain, it is like half off.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen: No, We're Selling The Concept Of Land

This bottom-sniped and i'm going to quote it until it's the thread title

Also I really want to know what the hour delay was, because with the 10 per person limit they obviously expected this to go over a lot better than it did

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 29, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
claim your land 3km away from someone else's claim so you can have a nice buffer between your neighbor where no one can ever claim land

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7g7lwd/star_citizen_land_claim_licenses_now_available/?st=jaka0rzt&sh=2870f098

Threads hitting other subs, expect news articles first thing in the morning and a "Clarification" tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I'm only half way through this video, but already, holy poo poo. Listening to crobbler talk about this, it's just complete insanity.