Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I beat Dead Aim. Survivor 2 might be the only Resident Evil legit worse than this.

Like for all I dunk on RE3 or RE0 they at least work as games. Dead Aim also is probably the least interesting implementation of the "Nemesis" type character (Other than Survivor 2, again). I bet even if you've played the game before and are reading this post you're not even sure that such a character was in Dead Aim, that's how unremarkable it basically is here.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I preferred Dead Aim to all the other light gun games, not that that's a plus...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Dead Aim sucks but is still better than Survivor and Survivor 2. It also at least has the funniest boss in RE history, I can't take Pluto, the fat blob Tyrant seriously especially the sound it makes when running.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Never played Dead Aim before, so I gave it a shot earlier with the "ah how bad can it be?" mindset and...

--ten minutes into the game--

...okay it's pretty loving clumsy and stupid and even this early on it just feels bad, y'know? I traipsed around like an idiot for 30 minutes (taking the opportunity to tut very loudly when greeted with the stupid semi-recreation of the Spencer Mansion's main hall) without really making any notable progress, then just gave up after the umpteenth room of zombies was put away too easily. I'll put a bit more time/effort into playing it again tomorrow but GOD drat this really does rival the Survivor installments for crud-factor.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Survivor 1 isn't great but I thought the different routes + the lives system at least made it an interesting experiment for the franchise.

Also the stuff with Ark is suitably goofy to me.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Raxivace posted:

Survivor 1 isn't great but I thought the different routes + the lives system at least made it an interesting experiment for the franchise.

Also the stuff with Ark is suitably goofy to me.

The horribad audio quality makes it sound like he has a really severe lisp in places, and I can't stop laughing. Hell, everyone sounds like they have "problems". It's a comedy!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A while ago, maybe in an earlier thread, someone posted a scene from a (possibly Italian) horror movie that was close enough to the village scene from Resi 4 that it was likely that Shinji Mikami was directly referencing it, anyone know what the movie was?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Gymkata, the “Village of the Crazies” scene.

Edit: also it’s not a horror movie, just a hilariously incongruous scene in a goofy martial arts movie starring an olympic gymnast

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks, for some reason that it starred a gymnast had also lodged itself in my brain.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A long time ago I saw this horror movie that reminded me a lot of RE4. Like Spanish cultist dudes in giant red robes in an RE4 like village riding around horses trying to kill these people and I saw it like once a decade ago, burning my brain trying to figure out what it was.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Policenaut posted:

A long time ago I saw this horror movie that reminded me a lot of RE4. Like Spanish cultist dudes in giant red robes in an RE4 like village riding around horses trying to kill these people and I saw it like once a decade ago, burning my brain trying to figure out what it was.

Was it in English, or a foreign film?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

Was it in English, or a foreign film?

Ugh I wanna say it was a foreign film. It's one of those "saw it on 4 AM on a sci-fi channel" kind of movies that somehow I kept a fragment of but I was like "whoa this reminds me a lot of RE4"

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Ugh I wanna say it was a foreign film. It's one of those "saw it on 4 AM on a sci-fi channel" kind of movies that somehow I kept a fragment of but I was like "whoa this reminds me a lot of RE4"

I have no idea but maybe it was a Dario Argento film. I've only seen Suspiria which is more of a slasher flick. He's the one big European horror director I know of.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'll have to go poking around there, thanks!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not a lot to go on, if it was an older film check out Witchfinder General, see if that looks familiar

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the full thing is on youtube, i remember watching it a few years ago and that village scene is out of left field.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Gymkata, the “Village of the Crazies” scene.

Edit: also it’s not a horror movie, just a hilariously incongruous scene in a goofy martial arts movie starring an olympic gymnast

Sakurazuka posted:

Thanks, for some reason that it starred a gymnast had also lodged itself in my brain.

What a weird movie. Imagine if they had modeled the RE4 Merchant after the white robe guy in Gymkata:

"Over here, stranger!"

:nws:

https://imgur.com/oSqyVoF

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

Policenaut posted:

Their robes aren't red but is it this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-S1c5pwFTQ

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy poo poo I must have misremembered that part but I think that's it. Thank you!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo I must have misremembered that part but I think that's it. Thank you!

The series had three films in it. Though I doubt it was Ghost Galleon, so it might have the second one too

Also I now have an excuse to post this, Revenge of the Planet Ape. The retitled us version of Tombs that played in a few drive one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVZdsllpdQ

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The series had three films in it. Though I doubt it was Ghost Galleon, so it might have the second one too

Also I now have an excuse to post this, Revenge of the Planet Ape. The retitled us version of Tombs that played in a few drive one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfVZdsllpdQ

Four films, Tombs of the Blind Dead, Return of the Evil Dead, The Ghost Galleon, and Night of the Seagulls. It's a weird little franchise that I quite like.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

catlord posted:

Four films, Tombs of the Blind Dead, Return of the Evil Dead, The Ghost Galleon, and Night of the Seagulls. It's a weird little franchise that I quite like.

You're absolutely right. I have no idea why I blanked on Seagulls, since I used to own the coffin box set from Blue Underground.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

Regarding their outfits, you may have seen the fourth one (Night of the Seagulls).

If you have Amazon Prime, all four movies are included with Prime and worth checking out. Personally I think 2 (Return of the Evil Dead) and 3 (The Ghost Galleon) suck but a lot of people like them and none of them are like awful, I love 1 and 4. Great series overall and while obviously not as popular as Jason, the Blind Dead themselves are cool enough to transcend their series and be iconic to me. :3:

Maybe just watch 2 on YouTube though, the Prime version is like, it's cropped like someone zoomed in on it vertically on a cellphone, and they captured a recording of that, bizarre.

Edit:
Of course, inspired Resident Evil 4, cultists, RE4-ish village, maybe it really was the epic "Village of the Crazies" scene from Gymkata! :D :D :D That part of Gymkata also has a person pinned to a wall via a pitchfork through their head during the approach just like the approach to the village of RE4, tons of vaulting over stuff like in RE4, and a brawl against a ton of folks that are basically the ganados, with a crowd of them cheering the fight on and everything.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 6, 2017

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I feel like y'all would be kinder to Survivor 2 if your first exposure to it was the arcade cabinet and you tried to play it on this goofy loving gun/joystick hybrid

this is the best way to play survivor 2 and I will hear nothing to the contrary

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played it on that and it was still bad.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I imagine watching The Stage live instead of off a dvd would also be a better experience, but it still would be a terrible play.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Playing Dead Aim with the Guncon 2 was a hideous nightmare, from what I remember. That d-pad is just the worst.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fil5000 posted:

Playing Dead Aim with the Guncon 2 was a hideous nightmare, from what I remember. That d-pad is just the worst.

I keep trying to play Dead Aim between other games and I just cannot get my head around the controls at all. It's loving terrible.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

What's the best way to play RE4 on a PC now? It seems like there's tons of version across consoles and remakes that are all better and worse in lots of ways.

I've never played a RE game before but I'm about an hour into RE7 and loving it so far. I've got RE4 in my sights for the next one to try eventually - it's one where I've heard so much about the reputation over the years but still know barely anything about the actual story/gameplay.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Toast King posted:

What's the best way to play RE4 on a PC now?

The version on Steam has less-than-stellar aiming with the mouse but it's still pretty solid.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Toast King posted:

What's the best way to play RE4 on a PC now? It seems like there's tons of version across consoles and remakes that are all better and worse in lots of ways.

I've never played a RE game before but I'm about an hour into RE7 and loving it so far. I've got RE4 in my sights for the next one to try eventually - it's one where I've heard so much about the reputation over the years but still know barely anything about the actual story/gameplay.

Probably the Steam version (Ultimate HD). Just be warned that while it has (rightfully) earned a great reputation as a classic game, the control itself hasn't exactly aged too well and certain aspects might feel cumbersome at times, ranging from 'slightly', right up to 'infuriatingly' depending on how well you manage to adjust to it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Good soup! posted:

The version on Steam has less-than-stellar aiming with the mouse but it's still pretty solid.

They put in an option a while ago that makes the aiming control normally.

Toast King posted:

It isn't like RE7, that's for sure.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Forgot to mention that I'd be using a controllet still, in case that makes a difference. Seems like I'll be getting both ends of the Resident Evil spectrum of craziness between playing 4 and 7.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 29, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Yeah, re4 is the beginning of the series descent (ascent?) into absolute madness. Everything after act 1 (including every game up till 7) is some kind of bonkers fever dream and I love it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ShineDog posted:

Yeah, re4 is the beginning of the series descent (ascent?) into absolute madness. Everything after act 1 (including every game up till 7) is some kind of bonkers fever dream and I love it.

the series has always been nuts. the layout of the mansion in one, the police station and puzzles in two. i cant really remember much of three to be honest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
3 established that it wasn't just the buildings run by madmen which were filled with bizarre puzzles, but rather the entire city.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mouse+kb controls were decent enough for me to finish the game on pro while only dying once (to a failed QTE), should you find aiming with the controller too much of a pain.

btw if I had to give any non spoilery advice it's this : early on, you will find some blue medalions hanging around, shoot them all for a cool reward. What guns to buy and not to buy is open for debate, but as far as I'm concerned:
- best handun is the red 9, no real need to buy the stock
- best shotgun is the stryker, but until you find it the first shotgun will do just fine
- best rifle is the first rifle, the semi auto is not really worth the money. buying scopes is a waste of money and inventory space
- the TMP is super useful imho, but the stock is unecessary
- you can find the magnum revolver for free if you backtrack a bit in the castle (piggybacking is involved)
- stun and HE grenades are imho the best, but flame grenades aren't useless either

other advice:
- an important part of the gameplay is shooting enemies in specific body parts to stun them so you can melee attack them for some nice damage. The head is a good place to start with, but I found the shins to be good targets too.
- the knife is super useful to finish off enemies when they are on the ground, and it will kill a certain late game boss (with a mutated left arm) much faster than any firearm
- buying the treasure maps is a wise investment for the first playthrough, that way you won't miss anything valuable. by the way some treasures can be combined together for even better payout
- you can always reset to the last checkpoint if you feel a fight is going terribly bad or if you think you could have done much better in a fight that just finished, and there's a lot of checkpoints (everytime you have to load a new area)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

here is a totally non intuitive piece of advise for RE4 that has no spoilers involved: kill all of the birds. save a flash grenade because eventually you will encounter a gigantic mass of birds all together and it will kill all of them and treasure will rain down upon you.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

rabidsquid posted:

the series has always been nuts. the layout of the mansion in one, the police station and puzzles in two. i cant really remember much of three to be honest.

Oh sure, but 4 ups it. Refines it. In 3 you are chased by an unkillable lumbering chump. In 4 you are chased by a loving giant robot stone statue of a dapper 1800s aristocratic dwarf

The layout of the police station is madness. The castle has a special room with a lava crossing puzzle bridge and flamethrowing longboats that can be lowered to roast said bridge.

It's next level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The thing about RE4 is that you don't need to conserve your ammo and place your shots or whatever, the game will throw more ammo at you the more you use it so just go ham !