Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

How many people are actually addicted to using phones compared to people who just check their phone a lot because they're become pretty drat important things since the baby boomer era?
I don't think people are addicted to using the phone per se, they're addicted to the information flow. They feel a compulsive need to stay on top of messages, facebook updates, twitter feeds, etc.

Which means this device is completely useless and designed by someone who doesn't understand the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Collateral Damage posted:

I don't think people are addicted to using the phone per se, they're addicted to the information flow. They feel a compulsive need to stay on top of messages, facebook updates, twitter feeds, etc.

Which means this device is completely useless and designed by someone who doesn't understand the problem.

Yeah, this. A phone-shaped slab with "things" you can touch doesn't address the issue at all. It'd be closer if it somehow had an analogue to notifications that you can clear away. But to do that... well it'd pretty much have to be a phone of some sort, so...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Finally my pocket abacus business is poised to skyrocket.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/935147410472480769?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

So does a preteen mean girl have control of Trump's twitter account today?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Bloop posted:

Judging by the number of people who can't sit through a meal, let alone a movie, without constantly checking their drat phone, I think there's a problem out there.

I check mine a lot too, but I also have no problem going hours and hours without looking at it. Some people would lose their goddamn minds after 20 minutes.

I’m sitting in that weird position where I spent my entire childhood without a smartphone and didn’t get one until I reached adulthood, so I didn’t grow up with it but I’ve had one for more of my adulthood than not.

You know what I did when I didn’t have a smartphone? I carried a book and read it when I had nothing else to do. If I didn’t have one, I would probably be incredibly bored and have no more interest in making random small talk with people or staring at the environment than I already do. If I have my phone out while eating, it’s because I can’t think of anything to talk about and I would otherwise just be eating in silence.

Now that I have a smartphone, I can spend almost all of my downtime doing something. I keep up with my friends, stay on top of the news, read books and comics, do research, etc. I always have something that I’m doing instead of remaining static.

What’s so wrong about that?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SpacePig posted:

You're thinking of Roy Moore's phone

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m sitting in that weird position where I spent my entire childhood without a smartphone and didn’t get one until I reached adulthood, so I didn’t grow up with it but I’ve had one for more of my adulthood than not.

You know what I did when I didn’t have a smartphone? I carried a book and read it when I had nothing else to do. If I didn’t have one, I would probably be incredibly bored and have no more interest in making random small talk with people or staring at the environment than I already do. If I have my phone out while eating, it’s because I can’t think of anything to talk about and I would otherwise just be eating in silence.

Now that I have a smartphone, I can spend almost all of my downtime doing something. I keep up with my friends, stay on top of the news, read books and comics, do research, etc. I always have something that I’m doing instead of remaining static.

Maybe nothing. I was the same re: book and smartphone. Eating alone or on break at work or whatever? Read away. I'm talking about eating a meal with friends, family, spouse etc not randos

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Bloop posted:

Maybe nothing. I was the same re: book and smartphone. Eating alone or on break at work or whatever? Read away. I'm talking about eating a meal with friends, family, spouse etc not randos

Even when I’m at meals with them, I use my phone when I have nothing to talk about. Sometimes I use the things I pull up on social media or the Internet to have new things to talk about, but I wouldn’t be talking more if I didn’t have it.

We tried that a few times, putting our phones away or in the center of the table for a whole meal. All that ends up happening is people sitting and eating in silence exactly as much as before, just without a scapegoat to blame.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Goddamn you have boring friends

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Man, just throw out a current event & talk about that.

Or a movie/tv show/band, or a book you read, or A Thing You Did Recently or a crazy "what if" scenario, or idk the merits of Pascal's wager or whateverthefuck

You're welcome :tipshat:

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Maybe if you werent so boring I wouldnt HAVE to stare at my phone Dad! God its like you dont even!!!!

"Slams the phone his parents bought him onto the table and angrily eats chips and queso."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But what if someone "likes" my selfie with the duck bill filter and I don't see it for two hours?!?! :gonk:

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

The Bloop posted:

But what if someone "likes" my selfie with the duck bill filter and I don't see it for two hours?!?! :gonk:

Nobody on this forum ever has to worry about their selfies being liked.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

dumb. posted:

Nobody on this forum ever has to worry about their selfies being liked.

That one goon posting creepy poo poo on awful yearbook dot jpeg

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

chitoryu12 posted:

the problem is less "people using a new technology" and more "there are people in Chicago who will walk into a busy street without looking up from their phone"

if you can't wait until you're SAFE to use your phone, :getout: of life

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That owl does not appreciate what they just called him.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Powaqoatse posted:

Or a movie/tv show/band, or a book you read, or A Thing You Did Recently or a crazy "what if" scenario, or idk the merits of Pascal's wager or whateverthefuck

Not everyone develops enui if nobody speaks for fifteen seconds.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SpacePig posted:

Does she ever not?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Does she ever not?

Trump barely dodged several lawsuits from teen girls.

Some of them are dead now, but you can't sue the prez, you have to impeach.

Mr Trump you are the company you keep and we know your homeboy killed pageant girls. That's guilty by association.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If you google "trump pageant murder" you will stumble upon Jon Benet Ramsay.

Keep scrolling down though, it gets worse.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Netherlands fishmongers accuse herring-tasters of erring

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Powaqoatse posted:

Or we could just...not talk?

Why do I need to force conversation when nobody has any desire to talk about something?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Why do I need to force conversation when nobody has any desire to talk about something?

Social interaction is good for you.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

There's always something to talk about. If you can't hold a simple conversation with somebody then you're devastatingly boring or awkward.

Pro Tip: People like talking about themselves, ask a question that can't be answered with a "yes" or "no." They taught me this in like 2nd grade, so I'm glad I can pass this knowledge onto, who I can only assume, is a grown adult.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Please stop. I can't take another page of people arguing against exaggerated strawman versions of arguments.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Wait no that was a dumb post.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Nov 28, 2017

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
old, but at least it smells like content

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

GrossMurpel posted:

Please stop. I can't take another page of people arguing against exaggerated strawman versions of arguments.

What, so we should just delete the forums?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Powaqoatse posted:

What, so we should just delete the forums Internet?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I think it's making us stupid.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Early 2000s Japanese Marvel writer turns out to be the same guy as their new Editor In Chief, who is white.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Goat Head Tree Topper Missing From Satanic Temple of San Jose's Christmas Tree

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sad.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It was a nice goat head. Shame.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would play a Mortal Kombat/NBA Jam hybrid game sooooo much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Nah, Scorpion would be way too OP.