Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

and made up ground on their deficit
I literally cannot comprehend how something like this would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

It was amazing. They had a shot to tie it late. The damnedest thing I’ve ever seen. Minnesota looked like they had no clue what to do. 5 on 3 and they were taking contested shots.

Edit: they also took a lot of low EV long 2 point jumpers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 26, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Letting college kids shoot is the ultimate defensive strategy.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Crazy Ted posted:

Lots and lots of fouls called on the Gophers while defending 5-on-3. Also Pitino told his crew not to press. And the Bama freshman playing out of his drat mind.

:vince:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Crazy Ted posted:

sounds like the Gophers were taking a lot of bad shots, they literally didn't know how to run an offense against three and kept taking mid-range twos

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As someone who only loosely follows college hoops, especially in November, can someone tell me how Minnesota is a top 15 team?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Henchman of Santa posted:

As someone who only loosely follows college hoops, especially in November, can someone tell me how Minnesota is a top 15 team?
Short answer: Returning all but 1 player (and every starter) from an NCAA tournament team last year.

Longer answer:
The frontcourt. They've got Reggie Lynch, one of the best rim protectors in the nation, and Jordan Murphy is well and truly on one at the moment. The depth there is perilously thin as their best bench 4/5 hosed up his knee in a pickup game just before the start of the season.

Their senior PG Nate Mason was the conference's best PG last year and preseason All Big 10 this year. Also preseason all-conference was Amir Coffey, who is expected to be the team's best player. We'll know more after the Miami game, but before the brouhaha they were rolling over #25 Alabama.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Washington on the Gophers kept trying to launch threes without burning clock whenever Sexton would hit a shot, and he bricked all of them. That seemed to be the main problem for the gophers

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Washington on the Gophers kept trying to launch threes without burning clock whenever Sexton would hit a shot, and he bricked all of them. That seemed to be the main problem for the gophers

I was shaking my head while watching the replay.

This is when you drive to the basket.

Sexton and Norris each finished with four fouls. They either have to give up an easy layup or they risk fouling out. The game continues until one player is left.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
trae young might be good yall

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I was shaking my head while watching the replay.

This is when you drive to the basket.

Sexton and Norris each finished with four fouls. They either have to give up an easy layup or they risk fouling out. The game continues until one player is left.

I'm not sure the refs were going to call fouls on Alabama unless it was egregious. Alabama's defensive scheme was largely 'sit right under the basket and make the gophers shoot uncontested jumpers'. They were specifically taking away the easy layup at the risk of fouling out. Minnesota's biggest gently caress up was not burning clock more aggressively, not so much shot selection.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Holy poo poo we actually won a game against Roy Williams

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I know there are some new, highly ranked recruits, but this Mizzou season really throws into relief just how bad of a coach Kim Anderson is. Mizzou's returning players are moving the ball around and shooting so much better, it's insane.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

I know there are some new, highly ranked recruits, but this Mizzou season really throws into relief just how bad of a coach Kim Anderson is. Mizzou's returning players are moving the ball around and shooting so much better, it's insane.

Niggling Counterpoint: Cullen VanLeer

(why does he still play so much? We will never know)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This would be an absolutely maddening loss (and it still kinda is), but being in a position to blow a game against what should be a very good West Virginia team is kind of heartening.

Cuonzo just didn't trust Blake Harris at all I guess? I missed the first 8 minutes or so but I never even noticed him on the court until there were like 10 seconds left. I guess that would be understandable against WVU's press but...man Jordan Geist and Terrance Phillips were just self destructing for like 4 minutes straight there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't want to get too excited about the Aggies just yet, but I think 40-0 is in play.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

This would be an absolutely maddening loss (and it still kinda is), but being in a position to blow a game against what should be a very good West Virginia team is kind of heartening.

Cuonzo just didn't trust Blake Harris at all I guess? I missed the first 8 minutes or so but I never even noticed him on the court until there were like 10 seconds left. I guess that would be understandable against WVU's press but...man Jordan Geist and Terrance Phillips were just self destructing for like 4 minutes straight there.

He had 3 turnovers in the first six minutes of the game.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
ACC-Big Ten Challenge began tonight. Not really the event it once was but still does offer some hilarity like Pitt getting left out and having to settle for playing High Point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

He had 3 turnovers in the first six minutes of the game.

Ah, that makes sense I missed that part of the game. Still man, Geist probably had 3 turnovers in 45 seconds at one point during that meltdown.

Still fairly happy with the showing, ideally the team grows up over the season and wouldn't lose a game like that later on.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

actually it sucks to have a decent team with expectations that gets eliminated from the ncaa tournament in november, bring back bill carmody and a bunch of 6'8" yugoslavians to get dunked on and maybe make the NIT

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

At least you have the Music City Bowl to look forward to.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

ACC/Big 10 challenge was better when it took place over 2 days. gently caress this 4 day garbage

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ungratek posted:

ACC/Big 10 challenge was better when it took place over 2 days. gently caress this 4 day garbage

I was just looking up how the games have gone and :lol: the Virginia/Wisconsin game (and also the Big 10 only winning one game so far)

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lol the Lobos are 3 point favorites over the Purple Aces.

Does Evansville have anybody around 7 foot tall? Or anybody that's mediocre at rebounding? Because our 3 point defense isn't complete poo poo, but we can't stop anybody inside.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not sure if anybody is following the saga with Billy Preston and his magical car but he hasn't played a game for Kansas and word is there's a KU football player practicing with the basketball team. *Insert KU football joke here* This is making people think the Billy Preston Dodge Charger Story is far from over.

I guess he's got some skills though. Maybe he's just practice fodder with a walk-on who conveniently already has a scholarship. He did play in juco. James Sosinski. 6-7, 260. Played at South Mountain Community College and averaged 19 pts, 12 rebounds.

Shot 5-22 from 3 yikes.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

FartingBedpost posted:

Lol the Lobos are 3 point favorites over the Purple Aces.

Does Evansville have anybody around 7 foot tall? Or anybody that's mediocre at rebounding? Because our 3 point defense isn't complete poo poo, but we can't stop anybody inside.

Hey that's the 5-1 Purple Aces you're talking about! I haven't seen them play this year but over the last few years the gameplan is basically "shoot from oustide if we're losing, do whatever you want if we're winning". Their tallest guys are both 6-9 (heh).

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Peanut President posted:

Hey that's the 5-1 Purple Aces you're talking about! I haven't seen them play this year but over the last few years the gameplan is basically "shoot from oustide if we're losing, do whatever you want if we're winning". Their tallest guys are both 6-9 (heh).

Two 6’9” guys?! gently caress we’re gonna lose by 25.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So, USC's most versatile player (Melton) has been held out all season so far due to being implicated in the Addidas bribery scandal. But, there is some weird stuff going with it, since there is security footage that doesn't match with the FBI Agent's claim, mainly that the guy who was the in between never actually took the money.

quote:

The video and the criminal complaint in the case differ on one main point: The complaint said that the undercover agent provided Dawkins an envelope containing $5,000 to give to the family friend at Bland’s direction, and that the friend received the money. The video — clear, in color, stamped with the Aug. 31 date and time across the top, but without sound — shows Dawkins receiving the money and leaving with it.

The complaint also states that the money was provided to Dawkins before the meeting, but the video shows the undercover agent brought an envelope to the meeting.

As other customers eat lunch or relax at the nearby bar, the undercover agent places a light-colored envelope in front of Elliott on the table. Elliott doesn’t touch the envelope. Less than a minute later, at 2:16 p.m., the undercover agent leaves with Sood.

More than an hour later — after Elliott finishes his meal and signals a waiter for the check — the video shows Dawkins reaching across the table, grabbing the envelope with his right hand and stuffing it in his back pocket.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-melton-video-20171128-story.html

It entirely possible that there was some slight of hand going on and he actually took the money, but it is an interesting development

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The FBI being proven wrong would be a hilarious development in something that so far has been pretty not-hilarious so I welcome this.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FartingBedpost posted:

Two 6’9” guys?! gently caress we’re gonna lose by 25.

N:
V: Aces might actually be bad.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Peanut President posted:

N:
V: Aces might actually be bad.

To be fair, I haven’t seen the Lobos play that well in awhile, and Evansville is missing their best player since last game.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So UConn beat Columbia last night... in overtime. This after taking a shellacking to Arky.

Is Arkansas good?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Democrazy posted:

Is Arkansas good?

I don't think they were predicted to be all that great (like middle of the SEC) but Arkansas plays a style where if they get you they can destroy you. I'd chalk that one up to a bad game.

You're on your own explaining Columbia.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
It’s maddening because it seems like UConn always falls asleep against half of its OOC schedule. They’re not a bad team, and even in their loss to Michigan State, they were competitive. But it’s annoying because these performances anger up the blood of a fan base that is delusional about UConn’s stature in a post-Big East Jim Calhoun world.

I think the AAC is a better conference than people give it credit for, but I would just love it if the team just took care of its softer OOC opponents.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
How good of a stat is defensive rating for an individual player? Because Rutgers has 6 players in the top 20 so far.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Why are they playing NCAA basketball games in Belfast?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I’m at the NC State vs South Carolina State game and a SCS player had some kind of medical emergency requiring chest compressions and being hauled out on a stretcher. No idea what happened but this was the damnedest thing I’ve ever seen at a sporting event.

EDIT: They’re resuming the game so I guess he lived, but uh, this doesn’t seem like the best idea

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

I’m at the NC State vs South Carolina State game and a SCS player had some kind of medical emergency requiring chest compressions and being hauled out on a stretcher. No idea what happened but this was the damnedest thing I’ve ever seen at a sporting event.

EDIT: They’re resuming the game so I guess he lived, but uh, this doesn’t seem like the best idea

The official State account just tweeted that the player was conscious and stable by the time they were taking him out of the arena but yeah, don't see much reason why this needs to go on.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

elentar posted:

Why are they playing NCAA basketball games in Belfast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PotatoJudge posted:

How good of a stat is defensive rating for an individual player? Because Rutgers has 6 players in the top 20 so far.

Very bad. DRtg is good when used for lineups or a full team. It is nigh useless for an individual player.

• Locked thread