Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I get the idea of offering feedback on the game or mechanics

There are so many people involved in Paradox business model and they are a public company that I don't quite understand the constant repetition of "CHANGE YOUR BUSINESS MODEL"

maybe they will and maybe they won't, I'm not sure 100 posts on the topic will change things

apparently I'm in the minority and it's very important to let Paradox know that forum posters know how they should run their business, if they'd only listen

I think consumers should tell businesses that they don’t like how they may do some parts of it, even if they enjoy the overall products. Of all the companies in games, I feel like paradox is one of most likely to hear and listen to criticism and try to make their customers happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

really queer Christmas posted:

I think consumers should tell businesses that they don’t like how they may do some parts of it, even if they enjoy the overall products. Of all the companies in games, I feel like paradox is one of most likely to hear and listen to criticism and try to make their customers happier.

That's understandable, maybe Paradox business discussions would be well suited for the general Paradox thread which seems like the right place for talking about that rather general topic which affects multiple games, and the game specific threads could be used for discussing the various games themselves?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The expensive and numerous DLC issue is most acute in EU4 though, for a variety of reasons

Also who gives a poo poo

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

disjoe posted:

The expensive and numerous DLC issue is most acute in EU4 though, for a variety of reasons

Also who gives a poo poo

I guess nothing can be done, please enjoy the same posts every DLC drop

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I get the idea of offering feedback on the game or mechanics

There are so many people involved in Paradox business model and they are a public company that I don't quite understand the constant repetition of "CHANGE YOUR BUSINESS MODEL"

maybe they will and maybe they won't, I'm not sure 100 posts on the topic will change things

apparently I'm in the minority and it's very important to let Paradox know that forum posters know how they should run their business, if they'd only listen

I mean the devs themselves have at times declared regret at not being able to synthesize things together properly because of them being split between different DLCs that not everyone will have both of.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

You can still convert moderately well with just Feudal Theocracy and various other modifiers which can be managed (edicts, clergy estate, inquisitor advisor). Number of missionaries is typically a bigger restriction on your conversion speed, rather than missionary power, so getting +1 from your government type is extremely powerful. And you can get full permanent 100 legalism bonuses along with the corruption reduction every 5 years in exchange for not worrying about mysticism at all, which seems like a drat good deal to me. I do agree that because of DoWs impacting the slider it's far too hard to actually choose to go for mysticism over legalism. I feel like this might get revisited in the next patch.

Rassids advice: start expanding into SE Africa ASAP, Arabia is just going to cause AE problems. Once you have like 5 gold provinces the game gets a lot easier.

Yeah I'm not too far into the game, I restarted until I got a good pretender (4/5/5 iirc), formed Yemen and took Exploration. I think I'm around 1490 and might be able to spawn Colonialism or at least I'll be have a foothold to start expanding into Zanzibar and pulling trade from Malakka.

I've avoided expanding too much to the north because I'm not nearly big enough to tangle with the Mamluks or Ottomans (Mamluks currently getting stomped by the Ottomans fwiw).

Having full Legalism is certainly nice and Islam has very powerful religion mechanics overall, I just wish it was practical to go Mysticism. Right now you get tons of Legalism from various actions (DoW on other religions and Islamic schools, conversions) but Mysticism is almost exclusively from events. It would be nice if there was a good active way to increase Mysticism so that would be an option. Legalism is very good but it's also your only real choice.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!
Paradox has finally released an updated bundle of all content up through Mandate of Heaven, but 90 bucks is still a hard sell for someone who knows nothing about the game.

edit: nevermind, actually. I think that's just the black friday sale price.

Anarchy Stocking fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 28, 2017

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

disjoe posted:

Also who gives a poo poo

Pretty sure that's CK2 though. It's a side effect though because we didn't loving think people would buy out stupid loving poo poo five years later....

gently caress sake stop buying our poo poo so we can start on the next iteration of the game you damned junkies! It's an old thing we've said since release of CK2, but honestly every DLC release show us that more people play the game.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 29, 2017

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I’m doing my part by not having bought a DLC since Mare Nostrum.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

That's why I can't afford instant noodles anymore you heartless bastard :argh:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Groogy posted:

Pretty sure that's CK2 though. It's a side effect though because we didn't loving think people would buy out stupid loving poo poo five years later....

gently caress sake stop buying our poo poo so we can start on the next iteration of the game you damned junkies! It's an old thing we've said since release of CK2, but honestly every DLC release show us that more people play the game.

NO IT'S YOUR FAULT, STOP BEING GOOD

Idk I think the DLC for EU4 (until recently) was more integral and necessary to the experience that CK2. You might be right that CK2 expansions are more numerous and expensive than EU4's, maybe I just felt more comfortable ignoring them.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I guess nothing can be done, please enjoy the same posts every DLC drop

There’s also still a lot of complaints about ming and moh despite it coming out half a year ago. If people still got complaints they should voice em, the forums aren’t gonna die if people make too many posts about paradox dlc policies.

Groogy posted:

Nope, it’s EU4, at least in USA. Price is $310 for all dlc, and $175 for expansions to EU4; compared to $280 for all dlc, and $163 for expansions to CK2. The CK2 one does include sunset invasion and I didn’t factor in the fact that I can no longer feel human because of it.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

wait, are we supposed to buy the dlc and then not play it or...what is going on here? where can I preorder the new unannounced dlc?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I bought EU3 years ago and couldn't get into it but I just picked up EU4 last weekend on sale. I bought a lot of the discounted DLCs excluding the new one and El Dorado (thanks to everyone to gave their DLC opinions in this thread) and so far I don't have buyers regret. I'd never have payed full price though, the %50+ sales is what made it feasible.

My best start so far has been Ottomans of course. I've mostly just been following reddit beginner guides, learning the different systems all at once is a little daunting but overall it's been fun.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 29, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello i forget. i know you can't declare war on the hre if you're in allied and in a war with the emperor, but you can declare a war if you're already fighting the emperor in a non-hre defense right. so attack ireland, they call in austria, declare on ragusa, whom austria would defend as part of the hre

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

oddium posted:

hello i forget. i know you can't declare war on the hre if you're in allied and in a war with the emperor, but you can declare a war if you're already fighting the emperor in a non-hre defense right. so attack ireland, they call in austria, declare on ragusa, whom austria would defend as part of the hre

I don't think you can declare a war against the HRE if you're already at war with the emperor, regardless of whether that war with the emperor is against the HRE. Probably to keep you from beating up on the emperor twice with only one real truce timer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

rude beyond belief

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

is there a way to make a manchu -> qing game not extremely tedious? being able to beat ming is no problem, but even once i’ve taken beijing and started to conquer down the coast, i’m still fairly behind on tech and barely breaking even money-wise. ming is a paper tiger that i can consistently beat even with a disadvantage in numbers, but they seem to be in no danger of imploding to rebels and it’s going to take forever to conquer them one war at a time given the number of provinces and their high development.

is there a trick to making them implode? even at 0 mandate their revoltrisk is low due to religious tolerance and stability.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eldred posted:

I don't think you can declare a war against the HRE if you're already at war with the emperor, regardless of whether that war with the emperor is against the HRE. Probably to keep you from beating up on the emperor twice with only one real truce timer.

Nah it'll let you do that all you want, it's just so you can't snipe members of the HRE without the emperor getting a chance to intervene.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's fine, i just got austria to break all their alliances in the first war and stomped them when they came to defend ragusa as a broken wreck. the hre is dead

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

It took an unconscionable amount of time for me to get Saladin's Legacy. :smith: Still never had Mysticism get to anywhere beyond 0.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BBJoey posted:

is there a way to make a manchu -> qing game not extremely tedious? being able to beat ming is no problem, but even once i’ve taken beijing and started to conquer down the coast, i’m still fairly behind on tech and barely breaking even money-wise. ming is a paper tiger that i can consistently beat even with a disadvantage in numbers, but they seem to be in no danger of imploding to rebels and it’s going to take forever to conquer them one war at a time given the number of provinces and their high development.

is there a trick to making them implode? even at 0 mandate their revoltrisk is low due to religious tolerance and stability.

I just got done with a run like this and gave up out of frustration. It wasn’t beating Ming that was hard, just that they could just continually shove 100k mercs at me constantly with seemingly little penalty. I gained money mostly by taking it from neighbors until I was able to take Beijing and funnel trade there to start making a profit on my own. As for tech, I took innovative first and that helped tremendously for me to be ahead of time on diplo and mil tech. Admin caught up quick thanks to Confucius bonus and a couple lucky events to lower admin tech cost.

Good luck on imploding Ming.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BBJoey posted:

You need to go to war with them and occupy all their poo poo, and then when they have 20 war exhaustion and as much devastation as you can inflict while call for peace is ticking, sign a white peace. Countries lose war exhaustion and gain revanchism bonuses proportional to any losing peace deals they sign, so making them lose nothing is, ironically, absolutely devastating for them.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 29, 2017

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

BBJoey posted:

I think the real secret is to fully occupy their territory and just let the tide of rebels take it from you. Once you're close to a white peace due to your declining warscore just sign it and watch the fireworks.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

You need to go to war with them and occupy all their poo poo, and then when they have 20 war exhaustion and as much devastation as you can inflict while call for peace is ticking, sign a white peace. Countries lose war exhaustion and gain revanchism bonuses proportional to any losing peace deals they sign, so making them lose nothing is, ironically, absolutely devastating for them.

This only ever worked for me when I waited until the rebels until I peaced out, which took a long time and costs me tons of points for my own WE. It's probably not worth doing with Ming. They just have too much money for mercs to implode to rebels these days.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grinning Goblin posted:

wait, are we supposed to buy the dlc and then not play it or...what is going on here? where can I preorder the new unannounced dlc?

You're supposed to buy it, then be mad about it, then play it for another 300 hours.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

This only ever worked for me when I waited until the rebels until I peaced out, which took a long time and costs me tons of points for my own WE. It's probably not worth doing with Ming. They just have too much money for mercs to implode to rebels these days.

Worked for me a few weeks ago.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

This is how to do it. You can explode pretty much any nation like that, you just have to be really dedicated to it and tank the call for peace for a long time. Whether that's worth it is up to you, but I'd say with Ming it probably is since the cost of a ton of dip points/some WE is probably worth killing your biggest pain in the rear end on the map.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It feels like the AI is way too willing to honor alliances. For instance, Saxony is a OPM minor in my HRE game. I wanted to Force Religion them in a war, but they were allied with the Ottomans, and gently caress that. So I just declared war on one of the other lovely OPMs they were allied to, forced them to Annul their alliance, and then declared war on one of their other lovely allies, and Force Religion'd them in that war. I didn't even have to wait down the truce timer from the first war.

It feels like a tiny nation shouldn't be so willing to get into a ally war that is very clearly hopeless from the get go. Austria, who has most of Europe east of Vienna vassalized or in a union is attacking my ally, and we have three provinces and ten thousand troops between us? Hell yeah dog let's do this, no way this can go wrong

It just makes it so easy to get around alliances. Ditto with Protector of the Faith. The UK was the POF for the Protestants, which should present a huge problem for purging the HRE, but they were not once dragged into my religion wars, because I simply declared war on one of the target's Catholic or Reformed allies.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Call to peace will only trigger if you've occupied the war goal so uh... just don't do that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

reignonyourparade posted:

Call to peace will only trigger if you've occupied the war goal so uh... just don't do that.

I thought it was just 66% warscore and 5 years.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Having gone to check i'm finding a LOT of contradictory information and that strikes me as the sort of thing that's hardcoded rather than in the moddable files, but It would surprise me if they'd revised it being based on the wargoal to prevent exactly that cheese, I guess.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

AnoHito posted:

It is. The only influence the war target has on Call to Peace is that after five years of not taking it you will have the full -25 war score for not taking the war target. If you pick a rich province with a fort as the war target then that single unsieged province can be enough to keep you below 66 war score as long as your enemy is fairly small. Wouldn't work on Ming of course.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

1.23.1 patch notes posted:

Blocked hordes from getting the sheikh ul islam events on new ruler as they would not do anything for hordes. + Fix - for the fix for sheikh ul islam popping without effects on all new rulers for hordes.
Added loc for 3 lines in spanish and french.
Monthly piety and karma now shown as percentages, tweaked previous values to not be insanely high
AI will no longer randomly cancel annexation or integration.
Unit arrival time's accessibility is now larger than 1 pixel (decreased max width for current unit location)
You must now have no provinces outside the British region at the start to be eligible for the 'Around the world in 80 years' achievement.
Fixed potential CTD in CTradeGoodsDataBase::ReadPrices if trade goods were modded.
Fixed potential CTD in CTradeCompanyRegionTrigger if Trade Company Regions were modded.
Fixed trigger switch effect not propagating selected event option (causing e.g. Ruler always getting name from first option).
Added missing text for the mission to establish a colonial country in Brazil.
Added missing loc for colonization of brazil mission in Spanish, German and French as well.
Mamluk government now don't get set to 20 legitimacy when they lose their monarch
Religions will no longer spawn more reformation centers than they are allowed to
Fixed age check of heirs/queens when not used by government form when loading nation designer templates
Fix for CTD related to one province naval trade routes
You can no longer promote advisors if you don't have Cradle of Civilization

How does that "Around The World" achievement work, then? You're not allowed to be England?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Seems more like it was possible to make a custom nation with your capital inside but other provinces outside the British region and cheese the achievement that way. Colonial Range is kind of a key factor for this achievement.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah you could start in england and take some place in tunis as well for mad range

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ah right, it's an achievement for custom nations, I forgot.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Has there been any word on a fix or workaround for the trade company weirdness? It seems if you remove a province from a trade company, you permanently can't add it back. And bonus merchants are randomly disappearing.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

We didn't have time to fix it for the 1.23.1 patch but should be done for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So I got two events that would have been fine normally.

-A priest in Verona has translated the bible into our language, burn or promote?
-The pope is not infallible, he has given Castile colonization rights of the Brazil region.

I am the Papal State. :v:

:catholic:

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 29, 2017