Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well I am sure surgeries will just get better but also their growing biological material in labs so I figure that's the future of confirmation surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hollismason posted:

Well I am sure surgeries will just get better but also their growing biological material in labs so I figure that's the future of confirmation surgery

Growing penises: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/04/penis-transplants-anthony-atala-interview
Growing vaginas: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26885335

"Expect 3D printing to revolutionise this field as the technology to precisely place both the cells and the scaffolding improves.

So far for cisgender folks only.

Edit: if I didn't think it was 20 years out, I'd wait for this.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aleph Null posted:

Growing penises: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/04/penis-transplants-anthony-atala-interview
Growing vaginas: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26885335

"Expect 3D printing to revolutionise this field as the technology to precisely place both the cells and the scaffolding improves.

So far for cisgender folks only.

Edit: if I didn't think it was 20 years out, I'd wait for this.

This is kind of my main point. Yes, better medicine will come in the future. Is that worth the pain of doing nothing now? That question has a different answer for every person. For me, I'm going to assume that since bottom surgery leaves all the nerves and blood supply intact that any future grown organ implantation will work just fine for people who already had old-fashioned srs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Senju Kannon posted:

kathoey don't map onto our western ideas of gender and sexuality 1:1, which is something western activists, theorists, and even terfs fail to understand and appreciate. suffice to say; most kathoey don't identify as women but as a third gender, and consider ladyboy to be a proper translation of kathoey

You're much better studied in Eastern cultures than I am so I'll take your word for it. Doesn't assuage my concerns about medical tourism to a less developed country however. I've seen video from Thai surgeons where they just wake you up from anesthesia and make you walk up stairs to a room full of cots after surgery.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Just so we're clear, I'm glad they're doing expirements with 3d printing tissues in such a way that it can help people transition, even if it's not the primary intended use, but I'm honestly surprised we're doing this poo poo so soon.

I guess I just always assumed it'd be the primary organs first (heart, lungs, etc.), then limbs, and then finally once those had been worked out we'd move on to growing surrogate sex organs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Keeshhound posted:

Just so we're clear, I'm glad they're doing expirements with 3d printing tissues in such a way that it can help people transition, even if it's not the primary intended use, but I'm honestly surprised we're doing this poo poo so soon.

I guess I just always assumed it'd be the primary organs first (heart, lungs, etc.), then limbs, and then finally once those had been worked out we'd move on to growing surrogate sex organs.

Well, part of it is that there's genetic abnormalities that can cause people to be born with no genitals but otherwise doesn't harm them, whereas people born with no heart or lungs just die. This research started as a way to help people born with one of these genital defects. There are many other efforts working on growing other types of organs, but peepees and vagines makes for a more eye grabbing headline so it gets more coverage.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keeshhound posted:

Sure seems weird to assume some of the most complicated parts of the body would be where things would start.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Not to mention that fabricating a certain type of specialized tissue in a laboratory, as might be useful in genital surgery, is always going to be easier than fabricating a whole, functional organ. It's not like they just print a whole new dong and sew it on.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Keeshhound posted:

Growing a penis in a lab and successfully transplanting it would mean, at minimum, we've perfected artificial skin. That's a discovery on par with insulin, or penicillin for what it would mean for medicine.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Most of the actual tissues for confirmation surgery are not particularly complex which is why I think you'll see a leap forward in that area before you see something like cardiac muscle tissue able to be 3D printed which is cellulalry pretty complex , the same with something like tissue related to the lungs etcx.

Liver probably as well is being grown now currently.

Like people have said though this technology is still 10 years a way minimum but there may be some break through that rockets it forward.

I'm actually planning on starting a MPH and MSW with a focus in the LGBT community so I've been reading up on health stuff just to familiarize myself again.

I'll have to dig it up but I read there's a huge investment right now in phalloplasty and that process is probably going to take off in a few years. This is mostly related though because of defense spending on it because it's a very common injury in regards to war injuries.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 18, 2017

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Being able to use generated skin/nerves/blood supply without having to use skin grafts from your own body would be an awesome advancement for phallo. Not having to do electro/laser, more control over the type of nerve sensation maybe?, maybe even including the urethral tube to cut down on issues with strictures/fistulas. That would be pretty cool. Sure, it still wouldn't have erectile tissue, but that would still go a long way in improving phallo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yea there's some high end research being done into automated pumps using sensors it's kind of interesting.

I hope to focus.my Masters of public health in LGBT community so trying to really get into all the different health concerns specific to the community , I'm pretty familiar already but there's some stuff I don't know anything about.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 18, 2017

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

there wolf posted:

Growing a penis in a lab and successfully transplanting it would mean, at minimum, we've perfected artificial skin. That's a discovery on par with insulin, or penicillin for what it would mean for medicine.

"Penisillin".

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Well, it’s not like there’s only one lab in the world working on this kind of stuff. I’m sure all areas of the body have some sort of research done on them in this field.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Keeshhound posted:

Tissue engineering actually has more problems with the functionality of stuff than just the structure of it. You can’t just slap together a bunch of heart cells in the right shape and just have a perfect heart. Most of the really successful work I’m aware of has been with cartilage structures like the external part of the ear and such where the only trick really is getting it in the right shape. Sex organs obviously have some functionality issues with making them (erection/arrousal for instance) but it wouldn’t surprise me if those are easier to overcome than getting a created heart to beat right or lungs to breathe correctly.

shadowvine118 posted:

Well, it’s not like there’s only one lab in the world working on this kind of stuff. I’m sure all areas of the body have some sort of research done on them in this field.

Yeah, speaking here as somebody who worked on the heart end of things a while back. As is I’m probably at least slightly out of date even after only a few years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

fishmech posted:

Sure seems weird to assume some of the most complicated parts of the body would be where things would start.

It isn't where they started. They started on simpler structures, like ears.

https://newatlas.com/3d-printed-ear-implantation/41869/

Between this, and the spray-on skin grafts they're working with in some burn centers, we're getting a lot closer to biological replacement bits being doable. Probably not a routine thing within our lifetimes, but still leaps and bounds ahead of where we were at the start of the century.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Liquid Communism posted:

Between this, and the spray-on skin grafts they're working with in some burn centers, we're getting a lot closer to biological replacement bits being doable. Probably not a routine thing within our lifetimes, but still leaps and bounds ahead of where we were at the start of the century.

The ghost of Harold Gillies smiles.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

i'm gonna channel my inner fishmech and point out that post was specifically in response to a dude who said they'd start on hearts and lungs, which are a bit more complicated then ears or skin grafts

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Apparently I have to start doing it too, and clarify that my position was that I assumed that was where the focus would be. Like, I get that there are a lot of labs focusing on different applications of the technology, I just assumed that vital organs would be the parts that got more attention and research.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Skin is your largest organ and pretty vital. v:shobon:v

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Keeshhound posted:

Apparently I have to start doing it too, and clarify that my position was that I assumed that was where the focus would be. Like, I get that there are a lot of labs focusing on different applications of the technology, I just assumed that vital organs would be the parts that got more attention and research.

The really cool thing that is possible to do with marginal advancements on the technology and research we already have is always going to be a big target for time and money because it's the most likely to produce results.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Reposting this from another thread.

So I decided, for the upcoming Trans Awareness Week in my city, to volunteer to put on a presentation on online Safety for Trans people. Part of it is going to cover basic Internet safety stuff. THe kind of stuff you should already know. BUT I want to show people how organized transphobes online work. Where they congregate, how they go about it. Why they do this. Stuff like that. BUT I also dont want this to be scary? I need some advice, how would you pen this?

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Reposting this from another thread.

So I decided, for the upcoming Trans Awareness Week in my city, to volunteer to put on a presentation on online Safety for Trans people. Part of it is going to cover basic Internet safety stuff. THe kind of stuff you should already know. BUT I want to show people how organized transphobes online work. Where they congregate, how they go about it. Why they do this. Stuff like that. BUT I also dont want this to be scary? I need some advice, how would you pen this?

Well, that's grim.

I suppose you'd have to hit on some typical anti-trans tactics, like brigading, misrepresentation, and the like. It might be an idea to frame it around someone like Riley J Dennis or Zinnia Jones. They've had history with bigots flooding them with harassment or abuse for what are pretty innocuous comments about dating. It seems relevant to underline the fact that most of their detractors don't even watch their content; the harassment tends to arrive after someone, or a whole bundle of someones, released a disingenuous video that misrepresents their position.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Vindicator posted:

Well, that's grim.

I suppose you'd have to hit on some typical anti-trans tactics, like brigading, misrepresentation, and the like. It might be an idea to frame it around someone like Riley J Dennis or Zinnia Jones. They've had history with bigots flooding them with harassment or abuse for what are pretty innocuous comments about dating. It seems relevant to underline the fact that most of their detractors don't even watch their content; the harassment tends to arrive after someone, or a whole bundle of someones, released a disingenuous video that misrepresents their position.

Please help kids understand that sharing everything about yourself online just makes doxxing and harassment easier. You don't even have to do anything wrong; the wrong person just has to notice you and decide you are the target. And if you are trans and not everybody knows or you are getting your feet wet before telling your family and someone outs you, you could end up homeless or worse. I'm just drat glad that the biggest thing on the Internet was Geocities when I was a kid.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Edit: sorry, wrong thread.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Australian politics have been very silly recently, but the (non-binding) postal vote survey has results released of 61.6% in favour of changing the law to allow same-sex marriage.

Same-sex marriage bills are expected to turn up in parliament within the week, or even the day.

Live stuff here:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-15/live-blog-same-sex-marriage-survey-results-ssm/9134066

Of the 150 electorates in Australia, only 17 had a No majority.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Breakdown of voting:

All things considered, some really loving good results.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So it looks like Australia is getting marriage equality today.

By the most insane ways possible, and may topple the current government, but it's happening.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If marriage equality causes a government to topple, that government really needed toppling anyway imo.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Gorilla Salad posted:

So it looks like Australia is getting marriage equality today.

It’s only passed the Senate, so it won’t be until next week sometime since Turnbull cancelled the House of Reps sitting. But yes, things look positive yay!

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 29, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DeathMuffin posted:

It’s only passed the Senate, so it won’t be until next week sometime since Turnbull cancelled the House of Reps sitting. But yes, things look positive yay!

Speaking as an American, Australia's loving weird.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Speaking as an American, Australia's loving weird.

As an Australian living in America, everywhere's loving weird in unique and weird ways :)

But it works mostly the same way, two houses of Parliament/Congress, law has to be passed in both houses. The difference is that the sitting schedule can be changed by the government, and has been because the government has lost its majority in the house until a by-election (special election)

Best outcome is that this can be law by Dec 8 - which is woo!

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 29, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
This is why it could gently caress the government.

[effort post incoming]

Recently Australia had a postal plebiscite to say if they wanted LGBT people to be able to marry. It came back with a very strong yes (see my post just above with the handy pic) but the current party in power, the LNP, is a regressive right wing party.

It does have a progressive faction, but the main lot are lovely bigots and they can oust the Prime Minister if he doesn't do what they want. The PM is the leader of the party in power, if the party votes him out, he's no longer Prime Minister and can be replaced by whomsoever the party decides. Sounds messy, and it can be, but it also means we never end up with a Trump situation where the only way to remove him is to impeach him and everyone's too scared to be the first to suggest it.

So! After the plebiscite came back, a huge wave of support for gay marriage struck the country - and parliament, with several of the LNP senators saying they'd vote for it. Mainly because a majority of their electorates did and none want to be voted to the gutter come next election.

It looked like gay marriage was going to rush through the door. The bigots put up all the blocks they could, even pulling out the "Florists and bakers shouldn't have to cater for gay weddings" bullshit that got bandied about in the US before you got the right to marry there. But every lovely amendment they put forward was voted down by a 2:1 margin, much of this just last night.

This really upset the LNP bigots, because they REALLY don't want marriage equality and right now they're looking at their majority evaporating and losing their hold on power. So they did the only thing they could.

They suspended parliament.

Now at the same time as all this, another motion was working its way through parliament - a Royal Commission into banking. You know all the lovely stuff US banks were doing which led to the global financial crisis? Yeah, our banks are quietly trying to do that stuff right now, so a lot of people are worried and angry. Of course, the LNP, being the right wing business party, are pretty much owned by the banks (and mining) and the only thing they want less than gay people being recognised as people deserving of equal rights, is to have all their mates in the banking industry go to jail.

So Prime Minister Turnbull has two bits of legislation the people who keep him in power really don't want to see the light of day, but which are extremely popular. His need to keep his right wing base happy has cost him a lot of influence with literally everyone else, as well as the Independents who help his party keep a majority of seats. Turnbull may end up keeping his position as leader of the LNP but losing everything else, which is loving hilarious to me, but more on that a little later.

Now here's where a quirk of the Australian constitution comes into play. If one quarter of senators say parliament will sit, then it sits. No matter what the government says, no matter if they suspend parliament (which they did), no matter if they lock the doors to the chamber (which they did), if one in four senators decides to hold parliament then they can do so wherever the hell they please.

Sadly, this only applies to the lower house, not the upper. This means legislation can be brought forward and voted on, but no passed into law.

Right now, marriage equality is being voted on but can't be made law until an official sitting of parliament. Ditto with the banking enquiry.

But, having politicians so openly oppose the PM and putting forward this legislation is incredibly, incredibly embarrassing to him and his government and shows he's not in control and this is when all the poo poo of the Australian political system heaps up, ready to hit the fan.

Remember those right wing LNP bigots who voted the PM in? Right now they're probably meeting to decide whether to vote him out.

Several LNP members, who know if they do anything to oppose marriage equality they'll lose their seats, have openly stated they will cross the floor and vote against the party, at least one threatening to leave the LNP over it.

The LNP is a coalition which relies on several independents to keep the balance of power. They're talking about crossing the floor, too.

Those last two points means that the LNP may lose it's ability to govern. At this point, the opposition Labor Party can call a motion of no confidence. This means they believe the government can no longer govern. This goes to the Governor General who can dissolve parliament and call a new election.

Given how lovely Australians get when politicians gently caress about and do poo poo like this and how the current polls are going, this would mean that the LNP would lose power, probably for a very long time.

And, right now, there seems like no other choice than all that happening.

And if the loving bigots who did everything they could to see people denied their basic human rights ending up losing everything, well I'm pretty goddamn fine with that.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 29, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That sounds loving fantastic, and I wish our lovely government worked in a similar way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And because it's loving hilarious:

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Gorilla Salad posted:

Now here's where a quirk of the Australian constitution comes into play. If one quarter of senators say parliament will sit, then it sits. No matter what the government says, no matter if they suspend parliament (which they did), no matter if they lock the doors to the chamber (which they did), if one in four senators decides to hold parliament then they can do so wherever the hell they please.

Sadly, this only applies to the lower house, not the upper. This means legislation can be brought forward and voted on, but no passed into law.

I did not know this - thanks for the clarification.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

The Shortest Path posted:

That sounds loving fantastic, and I wish our lovely government worked in a similar way.

I mean, in a similar manner our government has found itself struggling to pass the most basic legislation, even the stuff their corporate masters demand on pain of death, and anything they do pass they're likely to be severely punished for next year and onward. So you'd be surprised.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gorilla Salad posted:

And if the loving bigots who did everything they could to see people denied their basic human rights ending up losing everything, well I'm pretty goddamn fine with that.

:stare:

also isn't the Governor General a generally ceremonial appointment by Queen Elizabeth, May She Reign A Thousand Years?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also isn't the Governor General a generally ceremonial appointment by Queen Elizabeth, May She Reign A Thousand Years?

The queen just rubber-stamps whoever the Australian PM picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

GreyjoyBastard posted:

They're a generally ceremonial appointment by the Queen on advice from the Prime Minister - which is always accepted. They have to sign all legislation in the same way that the President does, except Royal Assent is never withheld in practice.

They do have one major power, in that they decide who can form government. Unlike the US, the executive is appointed from parliamentarians (so in practice, parliamentarians of the party that has control of the lower house). So, the decision as to whether a particular party has control (or confidence) of the lower house is decided by the GG. If they decide that the government party has lost control of the house, they can invite the leader of the other party (or any parliamentarian technically) to demonstrate that they can command confidence (defined by a vote on the floor of the lower house).

If nobody can, it ends up going to a new election. This power does become relevant in hung parliaments where coalitions can't be formed, and where a party loses half a dozen members through silly stuff like not making sure their candidates weren't dual-citizens *cough*

anyway ... enough auspol derail from me :)

• Locked thread