Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Also, reposting for the new thread: I made an alternative to the built-in map generator. It's much more restrictive in options, but as a result it won't gently caress your start location horribly. Also it looks different.

Hey, so you also draw roads in some provinces? it has to be done now by the map maker.
Also,it would be nice an option to control map size,like in the official one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Few observations so far..
  • My astral mages are now casting communion master/slave off script. That seems new and very dangerous
  • Some nations (monkeys, not sure who else) have access to a new item called Buffalo Headdress. It's Construction 4, N1 to make, costs 5 nature gems and gives the wearer a buffalo every combat. It's size 4 and tramples.
  • Coral Swords are cheap as gently caress to make and give +8 hp. Haven't seen items give +hp directly yet. May see a lot of important mages dual wielding these bad boys?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

dropkickpikachu posted:

By default, multiple turn move orders aren't enabled in the preferences for some reason. Turn that poo poo on.

It's still buggy, that's why it isn't enabled by default. If you randomly click in provinces, you will see sometimes it doesn't work properly.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
yeah the multiple turn movement just straight up gives up if theres temperature based connections involved

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

It's still buggy, that's why it isn't enabled by default. If you randomly click in provinces, you will see sometimes it doesn't work properly.

It also tends to split armies if they have different movement speeds, which irks me to no end.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hi im going to be that guy that pops in here as is tradition to say that i'll probably never play this game but i absolutely love reading about the dumb stuff that happens in it

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Few observations so far..
  • My astral mages are now casting communion master/slave off script. That seems new and very dangerous

Yeah I think they tweaked the spellcasting AI to use a bit more of a range rather than just cheap spam all the time, but it seems like it's a little stupid about it. I had a mage straight up kill himself in one shot by casting curse of stones at the full 300 fatigue cost.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Against my better judgment, some part of me really wants to get back into this with the new game.

Thankfully I cannot afford to get it right now, sparing me the suffering of playing Dominions once more. Lucky me.

The new stuff really does look good, though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Enjoy posted:

Yeah they pick targets better, although moving units seem to be able to outpace incoming projectiles which is dumb. Arrows should move a lot faster now that you can dodge them.

actually, does the speed boost from blessings and poo poo affect projectiles too? or just guys running around very fast :thunk:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Things the OP should have :

-map generator link by Corbeau. https://corbeau.itch.io/cartographic-revision
-Jbrereton pretender pack for noobs dropbox link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/lovdgxlt9lv2f8w/newlords%20EA.zip?dl=0)
-Jbrereton summary nation list (see last pages of the Dom4 thread)
-Discord link / IRC / llamaserver / whatever links used for MP
-Primer/noob guide (the basics are still same as Dom4, see first two posts)
-Summary of keyboard shortcuts, with the ? key in bold)
-Music guy link: https://petergundry.bandcamp.com
-A pair of sick combat gifts!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Things the OP should have :

-map generator link by Corbeau. https://corbeau.itch.io/cartographic-revision
-Jbrereton pretender pack for noobs dropbox link (https://www.dropbox.com/s/lovdgxlt9lv2f8w/newlords%20EA.zip?dl=0)
-Jbrereton summary nation list (see last pages of the Dom4 thread)
-Discord link / IRC / llamaserver / whatever links used for MP
-Primer/noob guide (the basics are still same as Dom4, see first two posts)
-Summary of keyboard shortcuts, with the ? key in bold)
-Music guy link: https://petergundry.bandcamp.com
-A pair of sick combat gifts!

clown mod gifs

clown mod for dom5 when

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This goes on the list of games I enjoy reading about but will never actually play.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Been watching DasTactic's side-by-side comparison of Dom4 and Dom5. I might cave in and buy it :ohdear: Some of those quality of life things at pretender creation look pretty great.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I just got this game, and copied DasTactic's tutorial build i.e. MA Jotunheim. I tried to adapt it for a bless build with regen and enlarge but am getting extremely annoyed by the fact that my prophet is the only H3 caster. Is there another way to mass bless troops, or am I stuck with a single army plus all the Skaggi thugs I can shroud?

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 29, 2017

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

you can also just bring some regular priests around to throw out blesses

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

you can also just bring some regular priests around to throw out blesses

One at a time like a peasant?? Looking in the dom4 viewer, there are 3 different unique items at Construction 8 that give +H that I could use in the late game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gonadic io posted:

I just got this game, and copied DasTactic's tutorial build i.e. MA Jotunheim. I tried to adapt it for a bless build with regen and enlarge but am getting extremely annoyed by the fact that my prophet is the only H3 caster. Is there another way to mass bless troops, or am I stuck with a single army plus all the Skaggi thugs I can shroud?

This is one of the slightly obscure mechanics that stumpt new players:

There are three basic ways to bless your sacreds:
-Your mere Pretender presence on the battlefield is an automatic bless to everyone
-H3 priests can cast Divine Blessing.
-Other priests can cast normal blessing. It's an area of effect spell (so not one at a time like a peasant). It's recommended for your sacreds to have 'hold and attack' orders, so they have time to receive the bless.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A bless is an aoe effect. More if the priest is H2.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

clown mod gifs

clown mod for dom5 when
It's out and was linked in the last thread!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf645cy7vi9m53w/clowns_dom5.7z?dl=0

e:

Turin Turambar posted:

This is one of the slightly obscure mechanics that stumpt new players:

There are three basic ways to bless your sacreds:
-Your mere Pretender presence on the battlefield is an automatic bless to everyone
-H3 priests can cast Divine Blessing.
-Other priests can cast normal blessing. It's an area of effect spell (so not one at a time like a peasant). It's recommended for your sacreds to have 'hold and attack' orders, so they have time to receive the bless.
For the new Trinity gods, you need all 3 in the same province to autobless, incidentally.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 29, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

cuntman.net posted:

hi im going to be that guy that pops in here as is tradition to say that i'll probably never play this game but i absolutely love reading about the dumb stuff that happens in it

I'm gonna have to ask at least one of you guys to start a Let's Play ASAP. Kitfox? TheDemon? Jbereton?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

gonadic io posted:

One at a time like a peasant?? Looking in the dom4 viewer, there are 3 different unique items at Construction 8 that give +H that I could use in the late game.

When quality fails, quantity has your back, even if it means like 10 priests spread out around your army to get it done.

Turin Turambar posted:

I think that only applies in your Dominion though, which can be an important detail.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

pretender still blesses everything on your team every turn outside of your dominion, it just loses the bless effect on itself.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I did it, I bought this dumb game, jbrereton (or was it jsoh?) are there still slots in your game?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

violent sex idiot posted:

pretender still blesses everything on your team every turn outside of your dominion, it just loses the bless effect on itself.
Your prophet is also not blessed in enemy dominion nowadays but can still cast H3 spells.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I'm gonna have to ask at least one of you guys to start a Let's Play ASAP. Kitfox? TheDemon? Jbereton?

ktifox lp turn 23: finally all twelve of my provinces have 100 pd.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

If I recall, that led to a few surprise wins early on when people moved unsuitable thugs into provinces not expecting anyone to be dumb enough to buy 100 pd.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

the trick to make this happen is to actually take turmoil 3 and luck 3 because then you get ton of money events while still having enough points for your other scales to not suffer :goonsay:

also i sadly can't afford the game right now but when i can darn skippy imma buy it

edit: also i originally in my very first game was not aware of PD at all and never raised it any which lead to hilarious defeat almost instantly. luckily, i learned from that and grew from a new player into one that hates vine shields and aoe attacks.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

nessin posted:

After playing three games against the AI yesterday I remembered what ultimately made me quit Dom 4, being unable to figure out exactly what was going wrong when it goes wrong. Dom 5 helps a bit in this regard, but it's still really difficult at times. For example, my last game I was playing Tian'Chi (name might be off, it's the nation with the Five Elements sacred units that are ambidextrous. I had a magical weapon bless with a few other minor bonuses, notable animal awe from a throne, and I was fighting Sauromatia (also probably wrong name) that was fielding lots of small hydra's with these insane cavalry that had partial invulnerability. My army was mostly the sacred units, heavy infantry with spears and shields, with Celestial Dogs and Demon of Heavenly Fire summoned units.

In theory, as far as I can tell, I should have crushed the AI. They were fielding more units, but mine were sturdier, I had magical damage to beat their partial invulnerability on the cav, my morale was pretty high to offset the occasional fear unit, and even had the animal awe bless for their hydra's. And yet once I'd secured two out of the four thrones they started throwing a large horde at me with their pretender god and I couldn't put a dent in it. My frontline damage soakers would fail morale checks far often than they should have for the fear being put out, their fliers would somehow target my mages through a couple dozen bodyguard units, and a few points difference in attack/defense skill with their special cav meant I'd lose 3-4 five element sacred to their one cav unit, which was just unsustainable.

And other than that last item, I couldn't figure out what was happening or why. I can only assume some of the buffs and spells they had in their back pocket was making a difference, but trying to figure out that requires writing down the spell, finding it in the school list, and looking it up that way. Some of which may not even be there because they're nation or bless specific. I'm fine with losing but not being able to figure out why I'm losing so I can improve makes it seem pointless to keep playing and work out how to get better.

Oh, fair interloper, welcome!

Yeah, if it's anything like Dom4 then basically if you don't have a lot of time to read guides and/or bug the goons on IRC to figure out the deep game, you're toast. If you can't even look up spells and figure out how they're synergising with unit stats to let the AI beat you, you're even more toast. By mid to late game you should be relying on ultra-powerful thugs, summons, cheese tactics where you wipe out most of the battlefield with a single spell, etc. You definitely should not be still be relying on your regular troops in a meat grinder style battle.

This is a bad game for uber-nerds (just ask the experienced players in this thread, if you can make sense of what they are saying).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Enjoy posted:

Yeah they pick targets better, although moving units seem to be able to outpace incoming projectiles which is dumb. Arrows should move a lot faster now that you can dodge them.

Tarpits are even more crucial now.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Amuys posted:

It's like Warhammer Tabletop but as a video game

What? No. Very no. "High fantasy armies sometimes fight in Dominions" is about as close as Dom comes to WHF.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

it should be noted that due to the changes of real time battles, as well as some spells (notably the ones that kill entire battlefields) being slower than others its much harder to have one spell end a fight instantly than previously, unless that spell is divine blessing.

jsoh fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 29, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Also, you don't necessarily need to hold/attack sacred units, and it might not be advisable, in some testing with notable underpowered nation VANHEIM, I just ran my sacreds with attack and my blesser always hit a pack of 10 of them without fail.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Turning water gems into pearls at 1:1 takes a mage-turn. :saddowns:

like, it's not bad, obviously, and rolling pearl mages until you hit the 25% 3W1S option isn't a terrible idea because your only other 3W mage is 1/16 of your princesses, but still disappointing

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 29, 2017

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Here is clowns.dm and theclowngame.dm for Dominions 5. jBrereton already ported clowns to Dom5 for me, but my update includes several new names for clowns, including the name 'Trump' in perhaps the most devastating piece of political satire of the modern era.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I ride bikes all day posted:

What? No. Very no. "High fantasy armies sometimes fight in Dominions" is about as close as Dom comes to WHF.

The setting has some slight similarities. I think the Dominions world is one full of strife and war, I don't think even outside of Pantokrator wars is a peaceful world to be, and Warhammer like Dominions has a 'sword & sorcery' vibe (lizardmen, savage barbarians, chaos with mutated suff and demons, etc).

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Turin Turambar posted:

The setting has some slight similarities. I think the Dominions world is one full of strife and war, I don't think even outside of Pantokrator wars is a peaceful world to be, and Warhammer like Dominions has a 'sword & sorcery' vibe (lizardmen, savage barbarians, chaos with mutated suff and demons, etc).

Now I want to see someone play a Dominions style game of 8e. You deploy completely blind. You write two turns worth of commands for your army during your blind deployment. After those two turns, they run, shoot, and cast basically at random. Why did my Skink Priest just put a Comet of Cassandora on top of the unit of zombies right next to my Slaan and Temple Guard? Why are my Saurus Warriors turning a flank to that unit of Blood Knights? Did my Slaan just cast Wildform on a unit of Chameleon Skinks?!

There's some shared themes, mostly the two very broad ones of "high fantasy" and "battles." Describing Dom as a video game version of WHF is highly misleading. One is a pure tactical game, the other is nearly pure strategy.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Went back to the old font.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Modding question here- I want to move MA Marignon into the LA, and also have LA Marignon in it as well, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. Any help?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Modding question here- I want to move MA Marignon into the LA, and also have LA Marignon in it as well, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. Any help?
#modname "MA and also LA Mari in LA"
#description "Puts MA Marignon into LA, as well as LA Marignon, which remains in the Late Era."

#selectnation 50 -- MA Mari
#era 3
#end

#end

^^ tested it, works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

I ride bikes all day posted:

also nothing is balanced well