Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Here's my King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Here's my King.

lmao nice.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

got completely thrashed in my first online match by a bryan who took off 80% of my life in one combo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You learn Tekken by having that happen and then going into Training mode and remembering all the poo poo the Bryan did to you so you can learn how to respond to it next time. Good luck.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually you learn Tekken by throwing haymakers into your dry wall whenever they do bullshit kicks to you while knocked down.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Actually you learn Tekken by throwing haymakers into your dry wall whenever they do bullshit kicks to you while knocked down.

lmao

he juggled me the whole time. i kept pressing up to get up quickly and defend but there was no window, getting launched is death, ive just gotta learn to defend against them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

extremebuff posted:

lmao

he juggled me the whole time. i kept pressing up to get up quickly and defend but there was no window, getting launched is death, ive just gotta learn to defend against them

Its safer to get up mashing 1 than any stick direction iirc

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Here's my King.

Hell Yea

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

lmao

There's about 6 different ways to get up a lot of which are unsafe so learning how to stand is pretty important

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The art of standing up is called Okazumi.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

There's about 6 different ways to get up a lot of which are unsafe so learning how to stand is pretty important

safest way is to stand up and press the power button on the front of your ps4

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

lmao

i guess ill watch some tutorials tonight while i wait for the new gamepad. the B and A buttons on this 360 pad are mushy and dont always work and im going to blame my loss on that

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff posted:

lmao

i guess ill watch some tutorials tonight while i wait for the new gamepad. the B and A buttons on this 360 pad are mushy and dont always work and im going to blame my loss on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpT4ejbGwk Here's a good series with my second favorite commentator/Tekken streamer. Enjoy.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also, Aris's mod makes tutorial videos of everything useful he says when he streams and puts them on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB7ZEUfF8rg I guess he didn't make a proper playlist for them or I can't find it but you can find them if you look through his vids.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I would watch at least some of them including the Okazumi one because some stuff is different in TK7.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think Aris has a video about standing up.

I haven't played a Tekken in 40 years and I also sucked so maybe we can play after I learn some moves

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Like I think there's an almost always safe, quick stand up now.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-PDc20Jezg

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Like I think there's an almost always safe, quick stand up now.

back roll is usually the safest [hold back when you hit the ground], quick tech roll [press punch or kick as u hit the ground] and plain ol stand up [hold up] are the safest

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

didnt know aris had a series on this stuff, thanks worm. ill be watching these all night probably lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I been using the quick rolls to the side but people will wise up and use a tracking move which can be deadly if they're fast

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

wearing old man reading glasses carefully studying the ins and outs of tekken and how to respond correctly to every move and then yobgoblin panic mashing in a real match

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a good list out there of useful moves by character too since some of the legacy ones have 120+ 75% of which are functionally useless

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This one https://www.google.com/amp/s/drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/amp/

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I always did what Yobgoblin does until I learned the really basicest poo poo about 2D fightmans from a video where ppl taught a wrestler how to play Ryu. Then I realized the real way to learn is to block when you don't know what to do and use the two or three main tools to do the basic poo poo their meant for and you slowly experiment. Then I took that over to Tekken so I remembered King's d+4 and how to do a 1,2 into a Giant Swing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thanks all for the guides & advice. yeah i immediately noticed with katarina that you just need some bread and butter key moves and can forget about everything else, when i looked up a Pro Katarina vid i was completely right lol.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://clips.twitch.tv/EasySavoryWalrusSuperVinlin

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

:worship:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-PDc20Jezg&t=303s watch this bit

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

going through aris vids is the best thing ive ever done. hes talking travel tips for japan and goes "theres a LOT of homeless people. well theres homeless people everywhere. But in japan, these homeless guys look like if some poo poo goes down, they will kick everyone's rear end. They will just pull out big rear end swords"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkxZrMNX3qM

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff posted:

going through aris vids is the best thing ive ever done. hes talking travel tips for japan and goes "theres a LOT of homeless people. well theres homeless people everywhere. But in japan, these homeless guys look like if some poo poo goes down, they will kick everyone's rear end. They will just pull out big rear end swords"

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

lmao

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

extremebuff posted:

Lol. Yeah when I fired up Tekken and saw that there was no tutorial mode and realized that I'd have to watch a bunch of youtubers and crawl horrible forums and twitter posts to figure out how to play, I was like "are you really gonna do this again? loving really?" But then I started watching Aris videos and ended up watching a few hours straight, it's great.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

you actually have to look on the tekken zaibatsu discord since the forum is totally dead now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Geese Howard is out now

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

who wants to fight. i got some hours to kill

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can in about a half hour after I eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GGs IT. theres too many cool characters in this, im gonna learn the lady with chainsaw wrists that can remove her explosive head next.

• Locked thread