Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We've tried a few different ways to bond them and they're definitely making progress. Part of the problem is that the Himalayan is seven years old and was abandoned, so he has some weird abandoned-rabbit PTSD behaviors. If we put him in a box he gets all stressed out and just sits there trembling. He's only comfortable in open spaces. The Harlequin, about 18 weeks, loves being in a crate or a box and adores car rides. But the Harlequin doesn't like being in open spaces. He also enjoys stomping his feet and provoking the Himalayan into chasing him, which they apparently both find fun.

They're going longer and longer without fighting, which is good. There's less swatting and grunting, and they only nip if it starts to turn into a fight. Nobody's drawn any blood, just some fur-pulling.

Also the older one sleeps outside the younger one's cage all the time and they hang out next to each other all day. They're goofy animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Dude, loving do that and loving crate bond those fuckers.

It’s totally fine, behavior experts recommend it all the time. Put ‘em in like a bankers box or hamper or bin (make sure they can breathe and aren’t smooshed but don’t give them too much space or visibility. Also try not to get spotted too much or they’ll hate you like the devil), and put it somewhere loud and scary like on top of a running washing machine/dryer, near a vacuum cleaner, in a living room where you’re playing music or games or whatever and just leave them there for a while (I don’t do longer than 30 minutes at a time because somebody inevitably has to use the litter box by then). Supervise them the entire time and separate them immediately if they fight. The point is to frighten them into huddling with each other, and as they huddle they forget their differences and come together as brothers. You know, “Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra” and all that....

Anyway- then you put them in a chill pen or shared cage with food, hay, water, a litter box, and ideally a hide or two and just let them hang. Supervise them the entire time and separate them immediately if they fight. Don’t house them together unsupervised at first- you’ll probably need to repeat both steps of the procedure several times over a few weeks.

But it’s far and away the fastest way to bond rabbits and seems to work with animals that initially show aggression to each other too.

See this works because it teaches your rabbits that you're the enemy, and that they need to work together to take you down.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Update: After more box time, the Harlequin will come out of his cage to hang out. However, he will not let the Himalayan anywhere near him. The himmie isn't aggressive at all, the other rabbit is just dumb as a post. Not the stupidest rabbit I've ever had*, but legitimately doesn't seem too bright.

*A Mini Rex too stupid to litter train or figure out toys who tried to have sex with anyone wearing sleeves

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Electric Bugaloo posted:

But it’s far and away the fastest way to bond rabbits and seems to work with animals that initially show aggression to each other too.

Can confirm. We managed to bond our trio with just a few weeks of intermittent stress bonding, and one of ours is a dominant, aggressive female. It's quite amazing just how well it works!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Hey bun thread !

Meant to post some cute pictures here for a while but I kept forgetting. Meet Broussette:

She's a 2 years old lionhead and honestly the chillest bunny I ever had to take care of. She almost never bites cables or furniture (unless you present her with cardboard, she might go berserk then). I adopted her from a neighbor when she was 3 months old.

She can turn into a boat as well :sureboat: :

I'll post some more later. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

We've tried a few different ways to bond them and they're definitely making progress. Part of the problem is that the Himalayan is seven years old and was abandoned, so he has some weird abandoned-rabbit PTSD behaviors. If we put him in a box he gets all stressed out and just sits there trembling. He's only comfortable in open spaces. The Harlequin, about 18 weeks, loves being in a crate or a box and adores car rides. But the Harlequin doesn't like being in open spaces. He also enjoys stomping his feet and provoking the Himalayan into chasing him, which they apparently both find fun.

They're going longer and longer without fighting, which is good. There's less swatting and grunting, and they only nip if it starts to turn into a fight. Nobody's drawn any blood, just some fur-pulling.

Also the older one sleeps outside the younger one's cage all the time and they hang out next to each other all day. They're goofy animals.

That harlequin might never ever really "warm up" to anything. They're a pretty feisty breed outside of cuddling up to a human or two here and there. I raise them for ah. *looks up at thread title, looks back at post* well let's just say I raise them (and standard rex). Every one I've ever owned or bred has been a wild little party bunny with a huge "gently caress you this house is mine" attitude. Mine stomp constantly. Hell, they stomp at me. I stomp back and then they wildly run in a circle and stomp for more chase. Good times.

I love the breed, though. What's yours look like?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That harlequin might never ever really "warm up" to anything. They're a pretty feisty breed outside of cuddling up to a human or two here and there. I raise them for ah. *looks up at thread title, looks back at post* well let's just say I raise them (and standard rex). Every one I've ever owned or bred has been a wild little party bunny with a huge "gently caress you this house is mine" attitude. Mine stomp constantly. Hell, they stomp at me. I stomp back and then they wildly run in a circle and stomp for more chase. Good times.

If you raise them for food just say you raise them for food. This fools nobody.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Splotchy. We got him off a show breeder because he doesn't have the clean markings they need. He's remarkably calm, loves being in the car, loves going to the vet. He's just scared of the older rabbit. He is, however, very stompy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I also find it hilarious that, despite being totally different breeds and ages, both rabbits have little wheezy doofus grunts instead of real ones. My old Holland Lop mix sounded like an angry pig. These two sound like squeaky toys.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Hey bun thread !

Meant to post some cute pictures here for a while but I kept forgetting. Meet Broussette:

She's a 2 years old lionhead and honestly the chillest bunny I ever had to take care of. She almost never bites cables or furniture (unless you present her with cardboard, she might go berserk then). I adopted her from a neighbor when she was 3 months old.

She can turn into a boat as well :sureboat: :

I'll post some more later. :3:

We've found the Anti-Harriet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Himalayan suddenly started grooming the other rabbit today, and the other rabbit didn't run away from him. Progress!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

grack posted:

We've found the Anti-Harriet

She's even colour contrasting!

Never should they meet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Himalayan suddenly started grooming the other rabbit today, and the other rabbit didn't run away from him. Progress!

they’ve probably been doing it for weeks but get spooked whenever you’re watching

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

they’ve probably been doing it for weeks but get spooked whenever you’re watching
They have not. Trust me. These were not bonded rabbits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet teeth update.

Teeth spur on left side of mouth has been worn down some. Needs more wearing down, but it's improving. Gums on both sides no longer inflamed, and are now healthy pink. On right side, one molar is bigger than the others. So, she's still getting the metacam and all the poo poo she can chew.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet teeth update.

Teeth spur on left side of mouth has been worn down some. Needs more wearing down, but it's improving. Gums on both sides no longer inflamed, and are now healthy pink. On right side, one molar is bigger than the others. So, she's still getting the metacam and all the poo poo she can chew.

Please respond when the human skeleton you've tossed her is nothing but splinters.

I wish alucinor posted more. I've been watching videos from a Holland Lop rabbitry run by an 18 year old and wincing because she says that spaying/neutering is completely optional and that wire-floored cages are more sanitary and safer for your bunnies.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Please respond when the human skeleton you've tossed her is nothing but splinters.

I wish alucinor posted more. I've been watching videos from a Holland Lop rabbitry run by an 18 year old and wincing because she says that spaying/neutering is completely optional and that wire-floored cages are more sanitary and safer for your bunnies.

I instead gave her a pile of wood. Will let you know when her doom fortress is built, and the ballista are ready.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

They have not. Trust me. These were not bonded rabbits.

It was a joke.

But also it’s worth noting that it took a certain member of our trio months to lose his aversion to grooming and being groomed if he knew he was being watched.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It was a joke.

But also it’s worth noting that it took a certain member of our trio months to lose his aversion to grooming and being groomed if he knew he was being watched.
That's adorable. Right now we're waiting to see if the Harlequin grooms back. We aren't convinced he's smart enough to understand the social cues.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's adorable. Right now we're waiting to see if the Harlequin grooms back. We aren't convinced he's smart enough to understand the social cues.

Smoosh a little yummy fruit (berry/banana) on the target bun’s head. Not super hard or anything and not too much- the goal is to induce cleaning, not stain a rabbit’s head purple/get a chunk of fruit in a rabbit’s eye/give a rabbit diarrhea/have the buns lose interest and the fruit dry into a crusty pompadour.

Idk, none of that ever happened with us but I’m spitballing worst-case scenarios. We honestly never had much success with it. Jareth’s the pickiest eater to begin with while Spock’s a canister vacuum with ears- so Spock would just end up grooming himself and licking his hands for like an hour, and for about two weeks at one point he had the faintest pink dye job. But I hear it works well with other people’s rabbits.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 16, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Smoosh a little yummy fruit (berry/banana) on the target bun’s head. Not super hard or anything and not too much- the goal is to induce cleaning, not stain a rabbit’s head purple/get a chunk of fruit in a rabbit’s eye/give a rabbit diarrhea/have the buns lose interest and the fruit dry into a crusty pompadour.
The Harlequin hates fruit. :psyduck:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

your bunny is broken, recover it from a backup disk

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Harlequin hates fruit. :psyduck:

Are you sure you have a bunny instead of, say, a really stupid and nervous cat?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grack posted:

Are you sure you have a bunny instead of, say, a really stupid and nervous cat?
Our vet tells us it's a rabbit. I'm not certain he just doesn't like fruit, I think it might be because we had to remove his incisors. He can eat hay, cilantro, spinach, etc easily, anything that he can just pick up and get to his molars, basically. But he can't bite into pieces of fruit, and we think it just frustrates him so he hasn't developed the taste for it. He does love sweets, and we use Craisins as a very occasional treat/reward mechanism. He just won't go for apple or banana or whatever. We'll probably start grating some apple up and see how he likes that.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

FactsAreUseless posted:

Our vet tells us it's a rabbit. I'm not certain he just doesn't like fruit, I think it might be because we had to remove his incisors. He can eat hay, cilantro, spinach, etc easily, anything that he can just pick up and get to his molars, basically. But he can't bite into pieces of fruit, and we think it just frustrates him so he hasn't developed the taste for it. He does love sweets, and we use Craisins as a very occasional treat/reward mechanism. He just won't go for apple or banana or whatever. We'll probably start grating some apple up and see how he likes that.

We had to remove Cilantro’s incisors after a fight with an infected hairline fracture on her jaw that spread to her tooth root. We cut up her fruit so it would be bite-sized and she would nom it all up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pseudonordic posted:

We had to remove Cilantro’s incisors after a fight with an infected hairline fracture on her jaw that spread to her tooth root. We cut up her fruit so it would be bite-sized and she would nom it all up.
Good call, we'll give it a try. What does she do best with?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

FactsAreUseless posted:

Good call, we'll give it a try. What does she do best with?

She mainly ate 3rd cut timothy hay, cilantro, and italian parsley without issue.

Her favorite treats were strawberry, watermelon, banana, and apple cut into pieces small enough that she could get her lips around them. Small blueberries were also a favorite.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Hey rabbit thread I thought you guys might appreciate our rabbit Pancakes. He got a special surprise present in my SASS package of Christmas leg warmers. Except he's a dwarf lop so he doesn't have much in the way of legs so we got creative.

(pellet treats are the only way to get him to sit still)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hello Pancakes, you grumpy-looking doofus.

Edit: Question for other people with pairs, do your rabbits synchronize their grooming? Only one will groom the other, but they'll stand next to each other and groom the same body parts at the same time.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Yep we've had pairs be proper clones at times, doing exactly the same thing (though not necessarily next to each other)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hello Pancakes, you grumpy-looking doofus.

Edit: Question for other people with pairs, do your rabbits synchronize their grooming? Only one will groom the other, but they'll stand next to each other and groom the same body parts at the same time.

Yes. Bonded pairs will mirror each other's behaviour.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Hi Pancakes ! :3:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Our vet tells us it's a rabbit. I'm not certain he just doesn't like fruit, I think it might be because we had to remove his incisors.

My rabbit never had any surgery beyond sterilization and she doesn't like fruit either. I've had bunnies and various rodents for decades and she's clearly the exception in that department but don't worry too much about it, it happens.

Have some cute pictures of Broussette for the holidays:

Camo: doin it right.

"You mean I can poop AND eat at the same time ?!"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

"You mean I can poop AND eat at the same time ?!"

Pretty much bunny heaven, right here.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Gracie has been limping around the last couple of days - last night she was diagnosed with a mass of some sort under her left leg. They're doing a biopsy but it seems pretty likely that it's a cancerous mass. Grace is 11. Anyone got any experience in this sort of thing? She's still behaving happily enough but I'm worried about what the future holds for her.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
In a fit of madness, my wife brought home a kitten on Saturday.

And with him, she brought home Agatha to foster as part of the Humane Society's Home for the Holidays program. Her face looks like she's wearing a Rorschach mask and she's a dalmatian bun with a penchant for crazy antics (like leaping from the floor to my wife to me to the floor in bed) and chewing...everything.

I think she's found her forever home. :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

D34THROW posted:

In a fit of madness, my wife brought home a kitten on Saturday.

And with him, she brought home Agatha to foster as part of the Humane Society's Home for the Holidays program. Her face looks like she's wearing a Rorschach mask and she's a dalmatian bun with a penchant for crazy antics (like leaping from the floor to my wife to me to the floor in bed) and chewing...everything.

I think she's found her forever home. :3:

You say this, but I don't see any pictures in your post :colbert:.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Gracie has been limping around the last couple of days - last night she was diagnosed with a mass of some sort under her left leg. They're doing a biopsy but it seems pretty likely that it's a cancerous mass. Grace is 11. Anyone got any experience in this sort of thing? She's still behaving happily enough but I'm worried about what the future holds for her.

Play it by ear I suppose? 11’s pretty old for a rabbit under great circumstances so I’m not sure that she’d suffer for very long, or that she might even live to see the cancer progress that far. Alternatively, she may wind up living to 14 regardless, either happily or unhappily.

I wouldn’t try to treat her at 11 beyond removing the mass if it’s impeding her movement, but if her behavior seems positive I wouldn’t be in a rush to euthanize her either. She sounds like she’s had a good long life so far.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So it's been almost a year and a half since I lost Chompsky, and this next Wednesday we're going to look at getting another rabbit. My girlfriend has fallen in love with one on the humane society website who is currently being fostored, his name is Carrots and he's a brown and white dutch that's 9 months old. He has a blocked tear duct, so his eyes need to be wiped twice daily, but I'm getting very excited about this. I've missed having a little bun around the house.

https://www.giveshelter.org/index.php?option=com_animaldetail&view=animaldetails&id=37098047&tmpl=component

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

So it's been almost a year and a half since I lost Chompsky, and this next Wednesday we're going to look at getting another rabbit. My girlfriend has fallen in love with one on the humane society website who is currently being fostored, his name is Carrots and he's a brown and white dutch that's 9 months old. He has a blocked tear duct, so his eyes need to be wiped twice daily, but I'm getting very excited about this. I've missed having a little bun around the house.

https://www.giveshelter.org/index.php?option=com_animaldetail&view=animaldetails&id=37098047&tmpl=component

For optimum bun time, get two and bond them! They really open up behaviorally in a way that you don’t really get to see with solo rabbits. But watch out if tear duct dude needs special care around grooming/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Play it by ear I suppose? 11’s pretty old for a rabbit under great circumstances so I’m not sure that she’d suffer for very long, or that she might even live to see the cancer progress that far. Alternatively, she may wind up living to 14 regardless, either happily or unhappily.

I wouldn’t try to treat her at 11 beyond removing the mass if it’s impeding her movement, but if her behavior seems positive I wouldn’t be in a rush to euthanize her either. She sounds like she’s had a good long life so far.

Thanks. It's been diagnosed as a fibrosarcoma, in the connective tissue of her shoulder. in other words, it's going to grow quick and cause her a lot of pain. She's clearly in discomfort right now, even with the meds, but she still seems happy. The one time she was sick with GI issues she let us know, just withdrew completely. Right now she's just as happy as ever (maybe even a little happier with the pain meds), but she does have a bit of trouble getting around and getting comfortable when she lies down.

So yeah. We're just going to enjoy our time with our beautiful rabbit as best we can. Give your buns an unwelcome squeeze today.