Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Godlovesus posted:

OOC: are we going to start selecting where to campaign now?

OOC: I think we should wait until recruitment closes tomorrow, I'm sure AFancyQuestionMark will let us know when and how to kick things off.

Godlovesus posted:

While files are currently classified as State 4 (incomplete, damaged records present) your ‘business’ is lacking more than the average prerequisite documentation. I encourage you to submit relevant forms for business license along with information pertaining to your business and tax practices.

For the record, the business licenses, tax returns, building and health code inspection paperwork, etc., for Kikuzakura is in fact complete and factual, filed as various 'social clubs' under the names of distant relations. This isn't the local biker gang squatting in a flop house; this organization is a corporation onto itself, with their own lawyers, accountants, bankers, etc.

Godlovesus posted:

I will not be visiting due to technical and political requirments during the transition and election periods. Ms. Grey may or may not visit depending on her whimsy, in accordance to existing protocols.

Yes, yes, of course. Perfectly understandable given current events and the upcoming election. Please do extend our invitation to Ms. Gray, perhaps we can look forward to the pleasure of your visit after the election?

By the way, I think its a marvelous thing, what you're setting out to do. The people of Janus IV deserve a functioning government to ease them back into normalcy. And at its core, a professional civil service is the heartbeat by which the government beats.

If there is anything that the Kikuzakura no Kai can do to help you restore the bureaucracy, please do let me know.

After all, I too only exist to service the good people of this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

CourValant posted:

OOC: I think we should wait until recruitment closes tomorrow, I'm sure AFancyQuestionMark will let us know when and how to kick things off.

[i]Yes, yes, of course. Perfectly understandable given current events and the upcoming election. Please do extend our invitation to Ms. Gray, perhaps we can look forward to the pleasure of your visit after the ele.

If there is anything that the Kikuzakura no Kai can do to help you restore the bureaucracy, please do let me know.

OOC: smooth operator you. This is going to be fun

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Godlovesus posted:

OOC: smooth operator you. This is going to be fun

:ocelot: :)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
As the fourth and last in a series of posts about the characters and the setting, here’s the timeline of events on the 7th of May 3061, the day of the regime’s fall:

Background - At this point in time, the war against the rebellious SDF divisions had been going on for more than 5 months, the CLF’s insurgency for two and a half years and the protests in Sard even longer than that. The forces on the regime’s side were the majority of the SDF, the municipal police forces and the Public Security Force, which was the government’s primary tool of repression. It later came to light that, ever since the defection of the SDF divisions, Vivian Grey – head of the Department of Information – and her former subordinates at the Intelligence Service were busy with secretly coordinating between various elements within the regime itself, preparing for this day.

4:40 – The Central Train Station in Sard is unexpectedly seized by the SDF Special Operations Division, which has been considered to be loyal to the regime before this day. The few employees and passengers that were at the station this early in the morning are detained in an underground maintenance room, and all entrances and exits to the station are sealed.

4:51 – An unmarked freight train takes off from a nearby SDF base, despite not appearing on the schedule. All other trains heading to Sard are rerouted back to their previous stations.

4:56 – The entire Sirta Communication Network goes down due to the unexpected failure of critical network infrastructure.

5:02 – A loud explosion is heard from inside a police station on the other side of Sard.

5:14 – The aforementioned freight train arrives at Central Station.

5:34 – Dozens of armored SDF vehicles are seen on the roads around Central Station.

5:37 – A “flock” of unmanned drones is spotted in the sky over the eastern neighborhoods. Similar reports are heard from other areas of the capital.

5:39 – All roads leading to the PSF Headquarters are sealed off by armored vehicles and imposing soldiers in plain uniforms.

5:45 – A series of explosions is heard from all around the city, originating at police stations, PSF barricades and government buildings.

5:58 – Sensing an opening and driven by an “indescribable collective high”, the crowd of protesters at central plaza push through the weakened PSF barricade and, for the first time ever, enter the government district.

6:05 – The SCN goes back online but all devices are only able to receive transmissions broadcast from a single source – an unidentified music channel alternating between classical pieces and Today, We Sing of Freedom – an opposition song popularized by the Popular Resistance.

6:12 – Gunfire is heard from the vicinity of the PSF Headquarters.

6:17 – Taking advantage of the general confusion, the rebellious SDF divisions begin advancing on Sard.

6:25 – A crowd of protestors, led by Lenore Hughes, bursts into the congress building with chants of “The time is now!” and “Long live the revolution!”.

6:38 – A fast moving PSF convoy is spotted swiftly departing the upscale neighborhood housing Robert Greene’s official residence.

6:50 – The only channel broadcasting on the SCN finishes its’ music program and switches to a repeating announcement read by a stern female voice – “Attention all citizens! Attention all citizens! The struggle for our future is underway! I repeat, the struggle for our future is underway! Please remain calm and stay indoors! I repeat, please remain calm and stay indoors!”

6:59 – Several government ships depart from Sard spaceport.

7:05 - The rebellious SDF divisions exchange several barrages of artillery with the Sard garrison.

7:20 – The voice on SCN switches to reading a new announcement – “Attention, Sard garrison! Attention, Sard garrison! The PSF has surrendered! I repeat, the PSF has surrendered! Greene has fled the country! I repeat, Greene has fled the country! There’s no point in fighting anymore! I repeat, there’s no point in fighting anymore!”

7:50 – The rebellious SDF divisions march into Sard unopposed.

8:00 – One final explosion goes off in Sard, this time at the feet of the tall Vallstein statue in front of the president’s office.

8:10 – The voice switches to a final announcement – “Attention, all citizens! Attention, all citizens! The fight is over! The people have won! I repeat, the people have won!” the message repeats three times before the channel goes back to its’ previous music program.

9:00 – The channel switches to a video feed of the floor of congress, which is filled to the brim with joyous protesters. After a few minutes, the crowd quiets down and the person at the speaker’s podium – Lenore Hughes – begins speaking. She speaks for twenty minutes. Her voice is underlined with an excited trepidation, her words genuine and hopeful. She describes her experiences over the last two and a half years – passion, pain, violence and yearning for a better future. She reassures her audience that dialogue with the coup leaders is already underway. She calls for calm and patience. Finally, she implores the viewers to hold on to hope in spite of the hardships facing them and to work towards a better tomorrow.

9:30 – The SCN returns to regular operation.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Over the past month since the new constitution was adopted, a wide variety of social movements and like minded groups have coalesced into the official framework of political parties. The relatively large amount of parties running for Parliament was a surprise for many, and is considered to be a reflection of the citizens’ excitement at the prospect of actually having their voices and opinions affect society as a whole.

What little election polling exists points to a plurality of the vote going to the Sirtan Revolutionary Liberation Front, but there is no past data to build a remotely accurate model on, and the novelty of the concept of a free election to most of the population is bound to frustrate any attempts at accurate prediction.

No possible outcome is perceived as implausible. Almost anything can happen, and everyone knows it.

Party registration for this election is closed. All registered parties are listed at the end of the second post. Registration for citizen seats is still open, and will remain open until the end of the election.

Time to explain how elections are going to work in this game. The general concept is fairly simple – each voter chooses a single registered party to vote for, and at the end the parties will gain seats in proportion to their share of the overall vote. However, party members and leaders can’t vote. Instead, their votes will automatically go to their party. For example, if Party A with 3 players on its’ list receives 5 votes in the election, their total vote count will be 5 votes + 3 player members + 1 leader = 9. So, party size will be reflected in the election result, though it can easily be overcome by enough “real” votes. Parties are strongly encouraged to actively campaign and try to convince voters to grant them their support throughout the entirety of the election.

All that said, let’s commence the first Sirtan Parliamentary Election! In order to vote, write the full name of your desired party in bold.

The election will run until Friday – the 1st of December – at 12:00 UTC.

Important Edit: As of the date this post was last edited, the standard election system is used alongside the new NPC Popular Sentiment system.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 5, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The Sirtan Revolutionary Liberation Front Wants You!

We stand at the precipice of a new world, and it is for us to determine what type of world that will be. Will we constrain ourselves to what has come before? Will we limit our possibilities to the tried and tested, will we quail in the face of the great unknown and seek shelter in restoring the status quo?

No! No! A million times No!

The old order has been swept away, and this is our great chance to build a better one in its place. An order for the people, not those who would be their masters. An order in which every man, woman, and child has the ability to grow to fulfil their potengial. An order in which the resources of humanity are put to work for humanity , not for the few privileged elite.

Give us your votes, and we shall give you the future!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My fellow Sirtans, the work of the revolution is still at hand. The coming months are crucial in defining who we are. Will we be the nation that rose from the ashes of tyranny and spread our wings to bask gloriously in the light of freedom, or will we roll around in the ashes forever, never living up to our potential? Vallstein and Greene may be gone, but the country they created is still alive. Poverty, ignorance, and crime still choke the potential of our citizens. The agenda of the Forward Development Group seeks to unlock the potential of Sirta and of every individual Sirtan. We will found free vocational and technical schools that are open to all citizens, providing a pathway off the streets and onto a good-paying job. And we will create those jobs by attracting foreign investment, so that every Sirtan will have a gateway to self-sufficiency. Vote FDG for a brighter, more prosperous future for all Sirtans.

Further, we support the establishment of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission, a temporary body with broad investigatory powers staffed by judges appointed by the Guardian Council, dedicated to finding abuses committed by the past regime, and empowered to strip illegitimately acquired assets from those who profited off of corruption under Greene and Vallstein and return them to their rightful owners, as well as bar the corrupt from public service for life. More serious human rights violations found by the Commission will be referred to the regular courts system after evidence is gathered. All citizens will be encouraged to submit any instances of corruption they witnessed or were victim of under the old regime.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 29, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
From the Desk of Rutherford Vanderbush

While I am not yet ready to cast my ballot at this juncture, I would like to express my appreciation for the Forward Development Group's decision to articulate clear policy goals. Revolutionary sloganeering may be satisfying, and I can understand the appeal of campaigning on high ideals, there are facts that must be faced. High spirits and camaraderie will not repair our economy, patriotic fervor will not halt the decay of our infrastructure, and wishful thinking will not eliminate corruption.

Therefore, on behalf of all the citizens of Sirta, I humbly request that each party state three policy proposals that they will seek to enact in this historic first session of the Parliament.

Thank you,

Rutherford T. Vanderbush

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
A fine request, Comrade Vanderbush, and one that I'm sure my colleague Cryo will be quick to respond to. Action must be the watchword of the day, firm, decisive, and bold.

But words have their place as well, and I am pleased to announce the establishment of a open forum for minor discussion. I invite everyone to join, that we may amicably hash out the future of our great polity.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The SRLF understands the pressing needs of the people, but we must be cautious not to simply trade one master for another. The people and industries of Sirta must come first in any decision of this government, not foreign investors looking to extract their profit from our labors. It is absolutely critical that the current situation be stabilized with an eye towards ending immediate suffering, projects that will take decades to return a benefit will have to wait until Sirta and her people are on a better footing. As such, the SRLF will pursue these three main policy goals in the upcoming session:

1. Police reform
Every level of the Vallstein apparatus is corrupt, from municipal police departments to the ranks of the domestic intelligence agencies he created. The Revolution has done much to replace top leadership in most organizations with good people, but it's an unfortunate fact that the lower levels of almost all organizations are hopelessly corrupt. As such, immediate action will be taken to reform government services, focusing mainly on municipal police to start. A society that can't maintain basic civil order is one that will inevitably fall, we must immediately begin weeding out the bad apples and restore public confidence in the police apparatus.

2. Infrastructure program
A critical part of the SRLF's platform is repairing and expanding the high-speed train network. The fact that many settlements are cut off from basic trade and resupply is a travesty that must be immediately rectified, and getting the rail net back into working order will facilitate the distribution of much-needed relief supplies to impoverished communities, both rural and urban. In the medium to long term, a well-oiled transport infrastructure will greatly ease logistical strains on government operations and allow local mining, farming, and manufacturing to flourish. In addition to repairing and expanding transport infrastructure, we should use this opportunity to expand the electrical grid to outlying communities, uniting all of Sirta's electrical infrastructure into one smartgrid that will both help rural communities by tying them into the nuclear plants and urban communities by adding the renewable capacity to the grid for times of high load or an unexpected nuclear shutdown.

As for our third proposal, we'd like to reach out to Dawn and the Forward Development Group to work on a joint short-term slate of social programs aimed at relieving poverty and providing a basic standard of living for everyone. If you're not interested, we're still more than willing to try and bring bread and roses to the people alone, but we feel a joint effort would both be more effective and help unite the government in this fractured time.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 29, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The people deserve to know, and must hear what each group is bringing to the table. I commend this initiative by the esteemed Mr. Vanderbush, and I, Arthur Subtallier, am more than happy to spell out the Unity Coalition's position.

Right now, the needs of the ordinary person have gone by the wayside. Every day, people are suffering hardship and privation, and the transitional government has sat on its hands, saying that it must 'wait for a mandate'. Can the single mother trying desperately to piece together enough to feed her children 'wait for a mandate'? Can the hard-working man struggling against the still-extant graft and corruption that garnishes every spare penny he earns suffer uncomplainingly as he 'waits for a mandate'? Can the homeless and destitute, shivering their lives away upon our streets, 'wait for a mandate' before they freeze to death?

We have no need to wait, to hesitate in the face of the thousand and one daily tragedies unfolding in every city! Their suffering is our mandate! Their sorrow and frustration is our call to action, and it is that call that we must heed!

1.: A healthy people! We must ensure our people have enough to fulfil their needs at minimum. Food, shelter, healthcare, implement policies that provide for the problem people are facing right now.

2. A secure people! We must protect not just from the vicissitudes of fate, but from the savageries of those who would use this transition to prey upon and abuse them. Better reportage of and response to organised crime, enhanced powers to act against those who are harming their communities for personal gain.

3. A people who can be heard! We must cut through the clutter and red tape that would prevent those who have the direst needs from getting lost, be it in our bureaucracy, in local misgovernance or even in the noise and tumult of our own parliaments. The voice of the people needs to echo loud and clear in the chambers of government, and woe betide those who claim to be in power if they ever fall deaf to it!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I too will join the many here, though I am of course but one of Dawn's speakers. It fills me with hope to see so many constructive thoughts. Many of them, I will also support. While the field seems far more fractured than anticipated, it is only natural that after so long of people being forced to keep silent, now they want to make their own voice heard. We will work together, and where we disagree, we will find compromise, without rancor.

Now, enough hopeful speech, allow me to give some proposals, starting with one that might be the least popular, but which I believe to be absolutely necessary.

1. Amnesty

Many people have cooperated with the Greene and Vallstein regimes. I myself administered a hospital for many years during Vallstein's reign. In doing so, I not only helped people, but I also aided the stability of his administration. Am I more innocent to people that took arms for Vallstein and Greene, and performed the arrests and the executions? Yes. But only a very few, a very commendable few, can claim to be completely innocent. If among our first steps, we go too far in finding out who was too guilty, and too innocent, we cause a lot of fear to our own population, as who is to say where justice will yield the floor to forgiveness? For many, hope might turn to fear, and they might turn against the state that they fear will come for them. It will cause division, as the few who supported the Greene administration, and the larger number who have good memories of the Vallstein administration might feel themselves outsiders of this society. The Civil War is over. We're all Sirtans now.

It is also important for the sake of reducing corruption. There are a good many people with skills in vital government apparatus who are vulnerable to blackmail. Who performed acts during the Greene administration that might now come back to haunt them, if we do not give people a clean slate. Without an amnesty, these people can be easily pushed into corruption. On this new day, let us bury the crimes of the past. Will some crimes go unpunished? Yes. Will some of us who have lost sons and daughters see the killers roam free? Yes. And that is painful, and an heavy price, but I believe worth the gain.

To make this concrete, I propose that any crime which is lesser than the ordering or executing of 100 severe crimes (including murder, torture and crimes of similar nature, but not kills in combat) within the period of one year is given amnesty. This number is of course arbitrary, and open to shifting. It would be encouraged for those who committed those crimes to step forward, both as a way to give the victims and their relatives at least the knowledge of what happened in cases of people that went missing, and to make sure there is absolutely no doubt about whether a crime was before or after the amnesty. And naturally, this amnesty would also be for those within the Resistance who might have crossed lines, and any people that took advantage of the chaos of the last year in a more personal sense.

2: Bio-pharmaceutical research

When we first gained our independence, this is where we gained our wealth, but sadly also where the seeds of Vallstein's rise to power were sown. We should not go about this the same way, but neither should we carelessly toss away the experience and resources we still have here. While we have lost many of our experts to emigration during these times, their homes are still here, and if we create a flourishing environment for them to work their trade, some of them might return, and we have of course still many who weathered the storm. We are a distant place, and unless we want to be fully autarchic and supply ourselves with everything, we need a compelling reason for outside trade to frequent us. This does not mean we should allow corporations to simply run roughshod over them, indeed, we should have a conversation about whether they should be allowed to set foot on the ground, but we should not close our door to trading with them.

So, I propose we invest in our bio-research labs, and also in our schools and universities, so that, whether as State Run labs, or labs run by coorporations with restrictions by the government, we will haev those labs back, and lead to new discoveries in the medical field that our population would benefit from first.

3: Social Programs The above plans are long term things, but one must not forget that promises and a bright future does not fill plates, does not provide a roof, does not provide medical care. I am eager to work with the SRLF, the FDG and others to work to find the places of greatest lack and need, whobravely bore the burden of a civilian population in a civil war. I myself am of course in a good position to see to the medical part of this outreach, but all primary needs should be seen to.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Amnesty? AMNESTY? No. You don't get to make that decision. You don't get to decide what justice does and doesn't get served. You don't get to decide that families just have to suck it up and let those who killed their loved ones go free.

We're not here to gulag hospital workers, we're here to make sure if you were literally killing and torturing people on behalf of the regime you're getting your due. Minor corruption and graft and the like, ok, I'm willing to discuss. But if you were ever seriously involved in the torture and killing of fellow Sirtans on behalf of the regime you're getting a goddamn bullet unless there are some very convincing mitigating circumstances.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 29, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Obviously, I do not. But I will put this proposal out there. And if it's not what is decided upon, then so be it, we'll deal with the consequences of that as they appear.

But consider this, everyone who laid a finger on another Sirtan? Every single soldier, prison guard and policeman in the last decades has either done that or clearly stated their willingness to do it, and if we include those that faciliated the orders, pretty a large part of the government apparatus. Even if all they did was simply going after normal criminals, or fighting people who were fighting them. Even if in the last six months they helped us bring an end to the regime? Even if they killed less than some of the ones who stand now on the victorious side? You would shed a great amount of blood. And it would not just be their blood to get shed. Do you think they will simply bow their head and take their bullet? Do you think those who did not do it, but consider them their friends or family, will not turn against us? In avenging the wounds of the past, you would carve new wounds.

Justice is a laudable thing, and to strive for, but not at any price. Right now, the people have had years of war, tyranny and poverty. Peace, freedom and prosperity are far more important to them then justice.

I do not do this out of a sense of pity for the guilty. While some of them were simply somewhat weak, others are truly reprehensible, and I do feel dissatisfied with the thought of them escaping their just desserts, but I cannot buy justice if it means innocent blood will flow.

Edit: I see you have slightly moderated your stance, for which I am grateful. A line must be drawn somewhere. Some people have simply gone too far, and I'm sure even those that stood with Greene till the end will agree have no place in a society. We should as a society and as members of government decide where we draw that line. But those who are on the right side of that line, we should provide amnesty, and assure them that at no point in the future will they suffer for their actions during the regime.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Speaking on behalf of the FDG, we are in favor of a suite of short-term social programs designed to get the nation back on its feet, and we welcome the chance to work with other parties to establish it. The nature of our recovery program is long-term, and the immediate needs of the people shouldn't be ignored in the meantime. However, in principle, we wish these programs to remain short term and thus, we would require them to have a sunset, no later than January 1, 3064, just after the next scheduled elections. Further, we'd like to iterate that we'd like to accumulate only a manageable amount of debt in our first years of freedom. We look forward to the first official release of economic data, so that we may work out these programs in detail.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
The following message was distributed via printed flyers in all of Janus IV’s major population centers, as well as broadcasted through local radio stations.

Good citizens, may I be the first amongst many to wish you a Happy Elections Day.

My name is Eli Masamune, and like many of you, I am both excited and apprehensive about the future days to come. The freedom and liberation we have all longed for is finally at hand.

The question is, what do we do with it? Exercising our ‘Right To Vote’ sounded great when they were hushed whispers in the dark while the boots of oppression echoed through our streets. Now that we are faced with the certainty of casting a ballot, how many of us really knows what to do with ‘choice’?

We of the Kikuzakura no Kai are simple folk, and not much for complicated words or flowery prose. We just want to see normalcy returned to the streets, for people to have jobs again, and for trade to flow once more with our partners.

Towards that end, may I humbly propose the following policies to be enacted by the new administration.

Infrastructure Spending – It doesn’t take much looking to see that our cities lie in quiet ruin around us. The years of neglect, protests, and outright war have taken their toll. And who suffers for it? Us, the common citizens. Streets needs to be re-paved, barricades torn down, lights repaired, so that we can all walk our neighborhoods in safety again.

Business Reform – How many of us have been without a regular paycheck for too long? We hardworking citizens need jobs, and we need them now. The state run enterprises of the old regime have brought the economy to the brink of collapse. Innovation, competition, and entrepreneurial-ship have been stifled, and we need to unleash our fellow business leaders to undo the damage; the private sector must be given an opportunity to re-enter the marketplace.

Trade Missions – When was the last time anyone saw a shipment of goods from off-world? Janus IV is part of the wider galaxy, and yet, we have been cut off from our planetary neighbors and partners. Who knows what damage has been done to these former relationships. Fellow citizens, we must again reach back out to the stars. We must welcome foreign trade and capital back to this planet

It is my utmost belief that these simple steps will begin to bring some relief to us, the long suffering citizens.

Ever your humble servant.

-Eli Masamune
Kikuzakura no Kai

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Via leaflet

And So Capital Attempts to Reassert Itself!

Remember citizens, that the antebellum economy was a tool of the elite, the offworld trader and the well-connected. Capital would have you believe that the problem with the economy was too much "state control," whatever that means. Capital demands that "private industry be re-allowed entry to the marketplace," as if they never left, or that it's failings weren't apparent long before the Dictator. Capital demands the immediate re-opening of expensive off-world trade routes with our limited immediate resources, that they may enrich their foreign cronies and once more import the luxuries that keep them happy and fat.

In short, Capital attempts to play you for fools!

This is because Capital fears you, the people!

Join the SLRF and build an economy that works for you! Join the SLRF and prevent Capital from clamping you back in the golden chains that kept them wealthy and you poor. Join the SLRF and build a free, fair, and propserous future for ALL SIRTANS, not just the elite wealthy few!

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 29, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I can't say I'm too eager to 'unleash' the free market on Sirta. Like many animals unleashed, they sometimes go for the throat. IF we are to unleash it, then first we're going to need to set up some good pens and rules, to make sure we do not have a repeat of the years after Sirta's independence. Now, I, and, as I see it, Dawn, are not as ideologically committed to a certain economic model, simply to arranging that the profits will not by and large go off planet, nor go to a small amount of people, but enrich all Sirtans.

Now, here's a question to the SRLF. Would you object to trading relations with the wider galaxy, including coorporations, if this trade is kept 'at arm's length'. For example, than owning business on the planet, the trading would be done by administrators by the democratically elected government, under close auspices to prevent irregularities and corruption?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, of course. We can hardly hope to prosper without engaging in some degree of interstellar trade. Just as long as we always remember that our priority is ensuring that the fruits of Sirtan labor benefit the Sirtan people first and foremost, rather than far-away corporations or a small minority of business owners.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Shogeton posted:

Now, here's a question to the SRLF. Would you object to trading relations with the wider galaxy, including coorporations, if this trade is kept 'at arm's length'. For example, than owning business on the planet, the trading would be done by administrators by the democratically elected government, under close auspices to prevent irregularities and corruption?

I certainly cannot speak for the SRLF, but I cannot see this proposal as anything but hopelessly unworkable. To take an example, there has been a great deal of talk of the need for the revitalization of Sirta's aging railway system, an endeavor I wholeheartedly support. Hypothetically, were Apex Industries to win that bid, we would be sourcing a great deal of the materials from abroad--some of which, yes, could be sourced domestically. But Sirta is not a heavily industrial planet--were we to rely on domestic sources, both the costs and time required would skyrocket, leading to a greater cost to Sirta as a whole, and costing the economy its growth. But as I believe both you and the SRLF would agree, that does not mean that we should simply abandon any effort to develop a domestic extraction industry. It should be fostered for the betterment of all of Sirta.

Your proposal would constantly be inundated with such decisions, and indeed would be tasked with picking economic winners and losers, leading to increased lobbying by corporate interests. Furthermore, this deliberation would severely damage Sirta's ability to be competitive on a galactic level, and the sheer number of transactions would absolutely balloon the size of the government at the expense of the private sector. If you wish to engage in protectionism... well, I can hardly say I would agree with such a measure, but there are ways to go about it that do not simply punish Sirtan businesses.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh, of course. We can hardly hope to prosper without engaging in some degree of interstellar trade. Just as long as we always remember that our priority is ensuring that the fruits of Sirtan labor benefit the Sirtan people first and foremost, rather than far-away corporations or a small minority of business owners.

Very much my position. Isolationism is impractical, but we must ensure that any trade, and indeed our entire economy, is designed to benefit the people first, not the wealthy elite as was in the antebellum period.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Question to the GM: What are the current Sirtan laws on Unions and unionizing?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Besides, how else are we to spread the glorious revolution across the galaxy? Solidarity Forever.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Can I join the crimson party and crack some fascist skulls?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
If that's us, we always welcome comrades to the struggle.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think officially registering with a party is closed right now due to the ongoing election but you're more than welcome to vote as a citizen in the meantime and join up the day it's possible again.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Our Community Seeks to Serve Your Community

Brothers, Sisters, and those who are neither brother nor sister. It is long past due for the people of Sirta to have their voices heard, their communities tended to. Corruption and violence have spread like a weed through a beautiful garden, choking out the flowers and suffocating the crops. Crime organizations grift off of our labor, government officials pocket your coins, the wealthy and powerful ignore your pleas. The Community has a vision though, of a once more thriving landscape, tended to by dedicated caretakers. A world where everyone has their place in the sunlight and room for their roots. Here is how The Community wishes to serve Sirta.

Pluck out the Weeds - All upper level government or military officials that took part in any of the injustices of the dictatorship will be hunted down and executed. Let there be no amnesty for the takers, the grifters, the killers. Lower-level government or military officials shall receive forgiveness. They shall be banned from handling any of the reigns of power ever again, but the blame lies firmly with their superiors. Let them be rehabilitated, after a short prison sentence, they will be free to live their lives, but not as part of the civil service, government, or military.

Crime plagues our cities, but how can the average citizen trust that the same forces that oppressed will help them against criminality? We should establish groups of dedicated and concerned citizens (chosen by lot from the pool of applicants and rotated out every two years) in every municipality, invested with the power to investigate, prosecute, and sentence criminals and crime organizations.

Expand the Roots - We must rebuild our crumbling infrastructure. These shall be done through governmental programs finding labor from the pool of the unemployed. A plant disconnected from its roots withers and dies. Our public services need to be revitalized. Our universities and bio-technical industries will not be neglected. Sirtan scholars should be famous throughout the galaxy. Why, a new enlightenment could start right here!

For everyone, a place in the sun - No member of our community shall go hungry, or without a roof. Social programs should be expanded, including universal healthcare, free tertiary education, and a universal basic income. These will be paid for by taxing heavily the rich, and seizing the assets of crime bosses and former regime leaders, the corrupt grifters that suck the life out of Sirta will be forced to give back!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

all of this free market nonsense sounds counterrevolutionary as h*ck to me

the first ballot is cast, for the Sirtan Revolutionary Liberation Front

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
A hearty welcome to you, Comrade, may you be the first of many!

As for the program of our religious brethren, I'm pleasantly surprised. I think we'll have plenty of room to cooperate going forward.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Why Vote for Sirtan Revolutionary Liberation Front?

Because only by one way may we find our freedom and throw off the yoke of our oppressors.
Only by one way may we seize our right and our prize.
Only by one way may we see our chains rent asunder.
Only by one way may we destroy the ravages of hunger and poverty
Only by one way may we grant our children the morrow
Only by one way may we crush the remnants of bourgeoisie decadence and abuse

Only by unity may we succeed. Unity as comerades! So come, all workers of Sirta! Come, all workers of the world; workers of every world! Stand with us!
You have nothing to loose but your chains, and you have a world to win!

Workers of Sirta, UNITE!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Magnusth posted:

Only by unity may we succeed.

Workers of Sirta, UNITE!

Join the Unity Coalition today!

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
The Union of Civil Services hereby announces it's campaign pledges after having taken into account the position of all relevant stakeholders. While we do not consider ourselves the most idealistic or charismatic, We hope that logic and compromise will triumph over vapid promises that excite the heart but do little to tackle the ills that plague our society.

The Union believes that any government that assumes control must undertake measures to stabilize and repair the social, political and economic fabric of our nation. Building on these three points, The Union pledges that if elected they will.

1. Form a Truth and Reconciliation Commission that allows for the testimony of abuses of those serving either the regime and those rebelling on the basis that those who testify will be given amnesty. This amnesty is conditional on the basis that the testifying party must prove that their actions were dictated from a higher authority whom they could not have reasonably disobeyed. The Commission will receive and screen these accounts on factual basis before accepting them. The accounts accepted by the Commission will be broadcast publicly across the nation in a hearing subject to approval of parties involved.
This purpose of the Commission is twofold. First it allows the healing process to begin through the shared stories of horror and war. While somewhat discomforting and painful to those who would have suffered, I would hope that through the hearings, we can inscribe the atrocities of the regime and civil war into our history while also finding it in ourselves to move forward. Second, as it's purpose is not to pass judgement, or replace the existing judicial system, but to present the truth in order to allow a process of healing, those ultimately responsible for capital atrocities such as war crimes can still be held accountable and assets illegally seized can be returned to their rightful owners. We hope this will help begin the healing of our political schism and help us move forward as a unified nation

2. The Railway and Power Act. While touted by other parties, the Union strongly emphasizes the need for the repair and expansion of infrastructure, particularly the High Speed Train Network and Power Grid. We propose immediate emergency funding and manpower to repair the sections of the high speed rails that were damaged or left to fall into disrepair during the civil conflict. This is to help restore our nation's connections in a literal sense, as well as allowing for the delivery of social services and aid to regions most heavily affected by the strife of the last two years. In the long term, The Union seeks to expand the network so that every town in the nation has ease of access to a cheap mode of transport that can connect them to the rest of the nation, in addition to the linkage of rural and urban power networks in order to further diversify our power base and better allocate energy to where necessary. This repair and expansion will help move people back from a wartime to peacetime economic mindset and lay the foundation towards future sustainable growth.

3. Civil Service Revitalization Project or CSRP. The first two goals would require a strong, capable bureaucracy in order to maximize the gains from their project. Currently, the civil service is critically understaffed, and rife with incompetent cronies as a result of the actions of the Greene Administration. CSRP would fund and encourage the hiring and training of civil servants, utilizing the passion of the people from all walks of life and inspire them to work in the civil service in order to help jumpstart the economy.
While I understand there are skeptics as to the efficiency of government, I would like to remind you that any and all of our projects ranging from taxation to education to healthcare and infrastructure would require a strong civil service core to even think of succeeding. This is why the Union wholeheartedly believes that the CSRP is as necessary as any of their other two key policies.

We look forward to thoughtful and reasoned debate and urge voters to cast a vote for The Union, where Professionalism and Integrity is our pledge to you

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 30, 2017

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Excerpt of street art found in Sard. The art itself depicts a bunch of hands pulling at a SLRF flag

The other parties of the SDF would like to thank the SLRF for giving them their policy!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Having heard the proposals thus far, I believe that the Union of Civil Services is well-grounded, and well-suited to building the foundation that Sirta needs.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Posters of The Union are plastered throughout country.

In Sard they feature a man and woman looking into the distance, head and chest held high

The Union: fighting with heart and mind!

In the city of Opal, the poster of The Union shows a gleaming office city in a blue sky background

A vote for the Union is a vote for the future!

in Topaz, they feature a band of workers cross armed in blue overalls staring determinedly at the viewer

Professional and Integrity are the Union's pledge to you

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 30, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
In a recent live question and answer session with the public conducted through the SCN, Lenore Hughes fielded questions about many subjects: her experiences during the long protests against the regime, her impressions of the current state of Sirta, her views on the transitional government, her hopes for the future and, of course, her party’s policies. The session was quite long, so only a segment of it is transcribed here, for brevity’s sake:

Q - “Recently, your party has received significant attention following the statements of several prominent members, such as Dr. Xavier Dubois, on the controversial issue of amnesty for many of the corrupt officials, soldiers and others who aided the regime in its’ crimes against common citizens. Can you clarify your stance on this issue?”

A - “Well, I think that Dr. Dubois’ stance is too broad and too lenient, but I am fully behind his sentiment. As I see it, administering punishments on this scale – to hundreds of thousands of people – would be an undertaking of immense scope, and is beyond the capacity of our nascent judicial and enforcement systems to handle properly. Such a process is almost guaranteed to stir up powerful feelings of mutual resentment, fear and uncertainty in entire segments of our society. Feelings, that, in time, can lead to a resurgence of violence.”

Q - “What about justice for the victims? How can you possibly justify letting known criminals walk free? What is the point of your revolution, if you are going to protect the enemies of the people?”

A - “You ask how I can justify it. In truth, I can’t. I can’t, because it isn’t just. I promise to hold those most culpable to account, to the fullest extent possible, but countless others would escape punishment. We have to be honest about the reality we live in. We can have justice, or we can have peace, stability and the chance to help still living victims and other vulnerable populations have a better life. This is the choice that we – all of us – have to make for ourselves. I’ve made my choice, and the CLF with their proxies - the DAL and SRLF – have made theirs. The only question left then, is whether you’ve made yours. And this is one question that I can’t answer.”

Q - “What about the proposals from some of the other parties, concerning the establishment of a Truth and Reconciliation Commission?”

A - “I am in favor. The only thing left to fill out is the details, which I look forward to discussing with these parties post-election.”

Q - “A few moments ago, you called the SRLF a CLF proxy. It’s true that it was founded by former CLF officers, but I was under the impression that it’s an entirely separate organization. Can you elaborate on your remark?”

A - “Certainly. I don’t mean to imply that the party is controlled by the CLF, or at least, not directly. Instead, I invite you to look at their stated short-term policies. Aside from infrastructure improvement, which is a matter of near universal consensus, and their vague promises of social-programs, the main planks of their election platform are police reform and “justice, prompt, severe and inflexible”. How do you see them carrying these policies out? By relying on the SDF, the Intelligence Service, and the corrupt municipal police forces? I think not. It seems clear, at least from my perspective, that they are going to ask the CLF to step in. At that point, who do you think will make the relevant decisions, when it comes to who deserves justice and what reforms are necessary? Will it be a political party with no force of arms, distrusted by the existing enforcement mechanisms? Or, will it be the highly motivated and close-knit armed force that openly flaunts its’ willingness to continue “the struggle”? All of us know the answer, whether or not the SRLF wants to acknowledge it.”

Q - “From your answers, it seems that you resent the CLF, despite their, many would say, indispensable contributions to the revolution. Is that true?”

A - “It isn’t. It may seem like that at times, because I can’t help but wonder. You see, I have been striving for a better future for this country’s people, alongside many others, since before the CLF existed. In my mind, the struggle against oppression is behind us, and now comes the important part – actually realizing that better future which we have been striving towards. It’s obvious that the CLF thinks differently, that the struggle is far from over. Which is why I wonder – what exactly is the CLF struggling for, other than perpetuating a cycle of revenge? I don’t know. I honestly, truly don’t know. I can see what the SRLF stands for, and even admire it in a way, but they aren’t the ones who will matter, once the CLF is given free reign. Just between us, the regime’s allies weren’t the only ones committing horrible crimes during the war.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 30, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

In a recent live question and answer session with the public conducted through the SCN, Lenore Hughes fielded questions about many subjects: her experiences during the long protests against the regime, her impressions of the current state of Sirta, her views on the transitional government , her hopes for the future and, of course, her party’s policies. The session was quite long, so only a segment of it is transcribed here, for brevity’s sake:

OOC: This is wonderful, your love of poli-sci shines through clearly. Can’t wait to see where you take this; just to ask the question because I already see where this might be heading, what are your thoughts on how to handle a single popular party running away with the game? Or is that your planned end state?

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

CourValant posted:

OOC: Or is that your planned end state?

I imagine fancy will have scenarios to make it easy to potentially balance power. The first election will at least see how the voters feel. So we can probably compensate if the SLRF fun away with things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

CourValant posted:

What are your thoughts on how to handle a single popular party running away with the game? Or is that your planned end state?

You'll just have to wait and see.