Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This is why I quit doing design work. Some of my first websites or graphic assets turned into a never ending grueling slog because of the people that hired me.

Sometimes people have no idea what they actually want and they only know that what they have been given isn't good enough. So you get stuck between someone's imagination and reality and become the outlet for the customer's frustration as they try and make the two the same thing.

I legit feel bad for anyone who still has passion for creativity and art that is dealing with Chris Roberts. I've worked in exactly the same type of situation a bunch of times. That's why the leak about Chris Roberts taking an entire day to describe how a bomber jacket should look rings extremely true.

You’re spot on, especially with the Chris assessment. I worked with Chris years ago at DA, and was so frustrated (as was the entire team) with him coming in every 4th day to work and changing everything based whatever he had seen the night before from some movie or tv show.

One of the things we used to laugh about (and his coding skills were at this level back then too) was him sitting at avid suite editing console and slowly pushing a random button, then looking up at the screen for a minute, then slowly pushing another random button and looking at the screen (this would go for hours). And yet Robert Rodrigues would swing by, sit down at the avid, and start typing on it like a 1950’s secretary on meth and then walk away 20minutes later with several shots completed.

I’m here because I know the pain that is in his studios, and I was genuinely curious if he would *actually* make a game this time. Turns out I was completely wrong about where his skills are: He makes money, not games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wuxi posted:

I can appreciate the sheer balls to go "Don't trust everything thats on reddit", then announce land sales, then straight up deny that land sales are actually land sales, even though its glaringly obvious that they are in fact land sales.

Look you FUD spreading PIECE OF poo poo they are not selling land they are selling plots, and these are not plots of land, OK?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

happy page 2900, only 100 to go!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Lladre posted:

I am going to predict that they will introduce "Bit coin mining while you quantum travel!"
Pay for your constellation in one lucky trip as you fly through quantum travel mining bit coins as you go.

That would explain the performance shortcomings, SC turns your client into a bitcoin miner. But gently caress off if you think CIG is going to share the profits with shitizens. SC is just the front, masquerading the background miner stealing your cpu cycles.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Daztek posted:

I'm selling slots on pages 2950, 2951, 2952 and 2998 for posting

100 space dollah love you long time

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

ManofManyAliases posted:

By your own example, would it not be "against the soul of the game" to force everyone starting of in the SC PU on a rail to say: do it this way and perform these functions before you can go out and buy basic starter ships and work missions and upgrade those to get where you want eventually? Let's take away the fact that SC is not yet a true game in the parlance as we know a finished game. Let's also set aside any preconceived notions about what a free-form open-sandbox type of universe SC claims to become.

That said, let's say we want to play a game that is a quasi-simulation in space, but one that has elements of "cool factors" to make sure there is a balance of ultra realism and fun. Let's say that this universe is modeled after real-world mechanics in that the game creators want to give people the ability to do some functions in-game as you could do in your life (such as law enforcement, or farm, trade, etc.). Why would the ability to purchase a ship to explore the sandboxed universe be viewed as P2W anymore than someone who buys a yacht to travel to Morocco? Couldn't the same argument be made that one should just buy a ticket on a liner heading to Africa (or that someone should just acquire a 325a to explore - no need to pledge for the 600i)? In life, there are those much more wealthy than anyone in this thread who can buy all the things that they want.

They have acquired or were given their wealth and are using it, but some modicum of time or effort was involved in acquiring that wealth, whether it was done by the individual or by someone else and gifted to that individual. The same is the case for someone buying a ship. Sure - they'll have a ship bigger and better than others to stat with upon game release, but that person expended time/effort in his/her job (or someone did on that individual's behalf) and that translates into a ship purchased with funds from that effort. The time was spent outside of game, no different than if someone spent time in-game to acquire the same.

If the end-goal of a game is to win at a level, beat a boss or kill 19 people left on a team of 20, then I can see how "paying to win" to acquire a weapon better than the rest is an issue. But when the goal of a game is that you can make and shape a universe that's essentially persistent and interactive, then what is all the fuss?

I don't know where to start to try untying this gordian knot of terrible logic but lets see what I can do. I've refuted much stupider and lazier defenses of pay to win.

quote:

Why would the ability to purchase a ship to explore the sandboxed universe be viewed as P2W anymore than someone who buys a yacht to travel to Morocco? Couldn't the same argument be made that one should just buy a ticket on a liner heading to Africa (or that someone should just acquire a 325a to explore - no need to pledge for the 600i)? In life, there are those much more wealthy than anyone in this thread who can buy all the things that they want.

You have zoomed in on the broad concept of exploration at it's most simple definition. Finding new things. Therefore it doesn't matter what ship you use therefore it's not pay to win to buy a ship different than anyone elses. This ignores the entire concept of what a video game is.

What is the exploration?
What mechanics are involved?
What will you find there?
What perks will you get for finding them?
How will you monetize what you find?

I can come up with a million hypotheticals about how buying a ship is pay to win, but

You've created a barebones hypothetical that says they aren't. It's dumb especially considering the act of purchasing game assets is pay to win by definition regardless of if you have created a situation where two ships are identical by ignoring 99.9% of everything to do with the wider issue.

Also your real world analogy is terrible because you have zoomed in with your microscope boiling everything down to "Get to Morocco" arguing that it's immaterial how people choose to get there. Nevermind that if you look at the 99.9% of reality that you have ignored in this case the person with the Yacht has better benefits in everything to do with travel, including their experience in Morocco. The biggest reason your analogy is dumb is because real life is pay to win which is why it sucks so much. You are arguing that your videogame isn't pay to win because it's like something that is pay to win. It's dumb.

Reality is also not videogames. This is where we are forced to live and we don't have magical angel dollars we can redeem for experience boosts to learn skills faster or automate going to work or get assets without spending any reality based currency.

quote:

They have acquired or were given their wealth and are using it, but some modicum of time or effort was involved in acquiring that wealth, whether it was done by the individual or by someone else and gifted to that individual.

No bearing at all on anything.

quote:

The same is the case for someone buying a ship. Sure - they'll have a ship bigger and better than others to stat with upon game release, but that person expended time/effort in his/her job (or someone did on that individual's behalf) and that translates into a ship purchased with funds from that effort. The time was spent outside of game, no different than if someone spent time in-game to acquire the same.

No, it isn't the same thing. We aren't talking about real life. The specifics of how you are paying to win do not somehow use intellectual alchemy to change lead into gold here.

We are talking about a video game. Someone that buys an idris instantly without playing the game has won over someone who must earn the idris in game. They received a representation of game time without expending any and now have that time as an advantage. And guess what, they can just go work their real loving job for more money with the time they no longer have to spend making the game.

This is incredibly simple. I'm running out of ways to phrase it.

In the context of a videogame

where people trade time for assets

acquiring assets by paying while expending no time

pay to win

How you got the currency to pay to win and whether or not you can create a hypothetical where paying isn't winning have literally nothing to do with anything.

Your entire argument is so wrong that it's obvious you are just trying to defend Star Citizen with no regard for the specifics of the current way in which you have to do it.

quote:

If the end-goal of a game is to win at a level, beat a boss or kill 19 people left on a team of 20, then I can see how "paying to win" to acquire a weapon better than the rest is an issue. But when the goal of a game is that you can make and shape a universe that's essentially persistent and interactive, then what is all the fuss?

Trying to twist yourself into pretzels to redefine what the specific definition of "Win" is or in what cases it apply don't make you right either.

It's a game. Exploring takes time. Mining takes time. Earning money takes time. Running missions take time.

Buying ways to explore faster, buying ways to mine faster, buying money instantly and eliminating the need to run missions is pay to win.

The fuss is that you and the other CIG employees are extremely vocal with the world's stupidest arguments. Star Citizen is the very definition of pay to win and this can not be argued yet here you are talking about trips to Morocco.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Look you FUD spreading PIECE OF poo poo they are not selling land they are selling plots, and these are not plots of land, OK?

Get your facts straight, there is no selling going on here. You donate money to CIG like you would to any other charitable organisation and in return CIG donates a plot of landplot to you, that will not give you any meaningful advantage but commemorate your journey during development of the BDSEE.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Wuxi, your AV triggers my claustrophobia, I need to exorcise this poo poo. Where is it from ?

fake edit: i'm claiming this spot on page 2900 and intend to speculate on it shamelessly.

also: taxxe

Sassy Sasquatch fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 29, 2017

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Daztek posted:

I've been to the Page 3000,
Not much has changed but they live underwater...

(Something about Bishop's Speech water droplets)

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Can somebody TLDR the entire last 15000 posts

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Faithless posted:

star citizen is bad and derek smart called it

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Wuxi, your AV triggers my claustrophobia, I need to exorcise this poo poo. Where is it from ?

fake edit: i'm claiming this spot on page 2900 and intend to speculate on it shamelessly.

Bad news I'm afraid page 2900 just sold out

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Faithless posted:

They are selling jpegs of land contracts for non-existent land. MOMA defends it as not P2W because you're shaping the universe and in no way competing with other players.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Spectrum is insanely garbage but it sounds like Kraiklyn's been having a rough morning.

Are there many more of these? They'd make for a great "Star Citizen devs comments on Land Claim Licence drama" Reddit post
[/quote]

Honestly I couldn't tell you. I was trolling around Spectrum this morning but the interface is so hosed it's almost impossible to find old posts.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

This is why I quit doing design work. Some of my first websites or graphic assets turned into a never ending grueling slog because of the people that hired me.

Sometimes people have no idea what they actually want and they only know that what they have been given isn't good enough. So you get stuck between someone's imagination and reality and become the outlet for the customer's frustration as they try and make the two the same thing.

https://clientsfromhell.net/ - I heard all of these within the first decade of freelancing, and that was late nineties, early 2000s. Some poo poo never changes.

Also {{{hug}}}. Freelancing loving sucked.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

ManofManyAliases posted:

By your own example, would it not be "against the soul of the game" to force everyone starting of in the SC PU on a rail to say: do it this way and perform these functions before you can go out and buy basic starter ships and work missions and upgrade those to get where you want eventually? Let's take away the fact that SC is not yet a true game in the parlance as we know a finished game. Let's also set aside any preconceived notions about what a free-form open-sandbox type of universe SC claims to become.

That said, let's say we want to play a game that is a quasi-simulation in space, but one that has elements of "cool factors" to make sure there is a balance of ultra realism and fun. Let's say that this universe is modeled after real-world mechanics in that the game creators want to give people the ability to do some functions in-game as you could do in your life (such as law enforcement, or farm, trade, etc.). Why would the ability to purchase a ship to explore the sandboxed universe be viewed as P2W anymore than someone who buys a yacht to travel to Morocco? Couldn't the same argument be made that one should just buy a ticket on a liner heading to Africa (or that someone should just acquire a 325a to explore - no need to pledge for the 600i)? In life, there are those much more wealthy than anyone in this thread who can buy all the things that they want.

They have acquired or were given their wealth and are using it, but some modicum of time or effort was involved in acquiring that wealth, whether it was done by the individual or by someone else and gifted to that individual. The same is the case for someone buying a ship. Sure - they'll have a ship bigger and better than others to stat with upon game release, but that person expended time/effort in his/her job (or someone did on that individual's behalf) and that translates into a ship purchased with funds from that effort. The time was spent outside of game, no different than if someone spent time in-game to acquire the same.

:laffo:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I only take the very best of the best, so I used google image search and took the first properly goony looking cat.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/935833339264716800

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

SELLING LAND.
Just send me $10 and you can pick the building of your Dreams
Think of all the things you can do in your land building, play computer games, entertain friends, eat food*

And it actually exists, now!** and it has a higher FPS than other land buying games I could mention too.

(* Food not included, purchased separately.)
(**you can't have a copy of the source code, but you do have your Dreams!)

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Jpegs of land are called landscapes.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Quavers posted:

Are there many more of these? They'd make for a great "Star Citizen devs comments on Land Claim Licence drama" Reddit post

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...ility=nonerased

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You just don't understand pay-to-win development, commando :smuggo:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Codezombie posted:

SELLING LAND.
Just send me $10 and you can pick the building of your Dreams
Think of all the things you can do in your land building, play computer games, entertain friends, eat food*

And it actually exists, now!**

(* Food not included, purchased separately.)
(**you can't have a copy of the source code, but you do have your Dreams!)

75fps? What a scam

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Faithless posted:

Everything is retarded.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Wuxi posted:

I can appreciate the sheer balls to go "Don't trust everything thats on reddit", then announce land sales, then straight up deny that land sales are actually land sales, even though its glaringly obvious that they are in fact land sales.

big nipples big life posted:

This whole sequence is truly amazing. The citizens falling for it are the icing on the cake.

Chris Roberts really is the Donal Trump of game devs and citizens really are the redhat cultists of gamers (and often actual redhats)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

This ignores the entire concept of what a video game is.

To be frank, so has CIG. Chris Roberts has no idea what constitutes a "game" and neither do any of the people left working for him. Your post is technically correct, but it ignores the fact that Star Citizen is not a game. Not only is it not a game in the obvious sense that Chris Roberts is in charge and it is therefore doomed, it's also not planned to be a game. It is what it is - a platform to exchange real-world currency for imaginary social standing amongst the lowest members of society.

You can't pay to win in Star Citizen, because simply playing it invokes a lose condition.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Krycek posted:

That would explain the performance shortcomings, SC turns your client into a bitcoin miner. But gently caress off if you think CIG is going to share the profits with shitizens. SC is just the front, masquerading the background miner stealing your cpu cycles.

:aaaaa:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Any time you add money to something that is supposed to be for fun, friendly competition with other people it always ends with people pissed off at each other at some point.
Whether it's playing poker with your buddies for real money, doing fantasy leagues with a cash pool, buying DLC for a beloved game franchise, getting new editions of rulebooks for tabletop games, microtransactions, or loot boxes - it will always happen.

The only thing that changes is which friend is mad at which other friend, or which company you get mad at (or defend to your friends). The extent to which people get mad is dependent how much money is involved, the proximity to the other parties to the transaction, and the rate (and perceived equity) of the money transfer.

For example: if you have a friend who has a pool that he lets you come over and use with him on the weekend, you'd probably be okay with bringing over a 6 pack of beer if he asked. If he asked for $10 when you showed up (instead of beer), you would probably get mad, but you might pay. If he suddenly started asking $30 every time you come over, you might still pay just come over less. If he just said, "hey look, Give me $1500 up front, and I won't ask you for beer OR money any time I let you come over" - that would probably end up in a fistfight.

You can work a similar analogy with board games, badminton, croquet, chess, etc.

When money is involved, the relationship never lasts without being negatively impacted. In this case, it is now a faceless corporation that you can't influence in any way other than internet arguing or voting with your wallet - so that's what people are doing.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Putting stuff in your cashshop that will never be available is actually a pretty obvious ripoff of SC and if Elite ever does that they might be in serious legal trouble.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Virtual Captain posted:

Closest I could find: It is a soundbyte somewhere around 30 mins into an interview.

:cheers:

To be fair, I flew my techs/engineers business class to Australia or Asia for installs or meeting with our big clients there back in the day. However that was built into the costs the clients were paying though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I guess my question is can I buy a claim and use it as a parking lot for a hypothetical used ship dealership franchise?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The grey bits and pieces everywhere are my head, who just decided to explode due to irony overload

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

So I guess my question is can I buy a claim and use it as a parking lot for a hypothetical used ship dealership franchise?

Yes, duh

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Depends on who you know on the zoning board.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Chris Roberts really is the Donal Trump of game devs and citizens really are the redhat cultists of gamers (and often actual redhats)

A venn diagram of citizens, trumpets and pc master racists is a slightly lumpy circle.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gradis posted:

can confirm. thanks for the nipple tormentors agent.

From Tiffany's 'masochisto' range.

Sarsapariller posted:

Polygon has been shilling so hard lately that it's actually started to sour my opinion of Griffin McElroy which I really didn't think was possible

Everyone's chasing mobile first, and NN is going to mean evil empires like my own crush the little guy.

G0RF posted:

I know we all have our private too 10 lists of greatest thread moments but I will forever take enormous quiet pride in the knowledge the we Goons, we lowly losers with our obsessive fixation on this godforsaken project helped in our own not trivial way to get the ball rolling that lead to the huge Kotaku U.K. series that remains the single most intensive outside look at the project in distress. It didn’t produce the laughs of so many other great thread moments but it fired a shot across the bow of CIG in a big way, and they forced Chris Roberts, armed with too many quotes from too many sources, to finally acknowledge the truth about Star Marine.

The overall problem I have is that we got this far down the pike without a major expose because there's literal fear out there post the event that we do not speak of that was never about integrity in journalism, and the relatively small poles of cash that allow the outfits to pay their guys. More simply, we're heading towards a system of patronage that libertarians love until they realize that they're not the ones patronizing. The complete lack of any accountability ~ and bearing in mind that publishers _usually_ have a longer lifetime arc than developers ~ is kinda worrying because literally the only thing they actually have at this point is _future_ gameplay and _future_ features after the proclamations from one, two years ago that people had actually _played_ part of the game.

Odd thing is that I know that the process is largely invisible until they lock the gates and file papers, but dude....fanboys terrify me. I get the signal boosters and the people trying to get on the publisher tit, but it's the guys that 'just believe' that worry me because they backfill justification all the time.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
I am hoping this back-and-forth with SC shills about what is and is not a land deal will eventually become a conversation about how all property IRL is in fact only enforced by government violence and not inalienable rights, and also death to capitalism.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

I know we all have our private too 10 lists of greatest thread moments but I will forever take enormous quiet pride in the knowledge the we Goons, we lowly losers with our obsessive fixation on this godforsaken project helped in our own not trivial way to get the ball rolling that lead to the huge Kotaku U.K. series that remains the single most intensive outside look at the project in distress. It didn’t produce the laughs of so many other great thread moments but it fired a shot across the bow of CIG in a big way, and they forced Chris Roberts, armed with too many quotes from too many sources, to finally acknowledge the truth about Star Marine.

That one tiny victory didn’t mean much in the grand scheme but I will cherish t nonetheless, simply savoring the satisfactions all but demanded by Chris Roberts’ completely inexcusable mismanagement of that project and his toddler-like tantrums and the voices calling for him to account for the whole thing. Since the whole affair proved a microcosm of CIG’s macro problems with scope creep, project mismanagement, and the hype and deceit cycles of their marketing department, the entire affair outlined by Kotaku U’K.’s in-depth look will one day be seen for the omen it truly was. For our small part in helping to make that happen I will forever be thankful, regardless of how little good it did.

I feel the same way about the entire Streetroller saga, even though I was more skeptical of his motives at first and booted him from the discord server due to suspicions he was try to con us. But he wasn’t, he was a straight up guy, a fighter, the best kind of troll and smartass end he joined the ranks and landed a major blow that put CIG on the well deserved hot seat with the spotlight overhead.

Charlie Hall wanted to dox him for the sake of his precious “games journalism” (and the noble work of defending the morally upright gaming studio under unfair siege by evils goons) but alas, he got forced to do the right thing and leave him be. And Streetroller did his part, as Kotaku UK did, to sound alarms and remind backers of their own legal rights. And while that story too wasn’t the laughathon so many other thread moments were, it still lead to the gut busting Streetroller / Derek Smart / James Brand livestream event that IS in my top 10 funniest moments of the Goon War.

Sorry to be getting all nostalgic and wistful. But drat what an incredible story this whole bloody mess has been... what a privilege to watch it all unfold from the best seats in the house in the good company of funny, clever and mostly quite decent people.)

You should check discord sometimes you have lot of catching up to do.
Also we are missing those long effort posts you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Virtual Captain posted:

Wait why would you build a launchpad or a military installment of any description on a beach.

Star Citizen: Sandi Foundation

Im glad they were able to capture the grace of another celestial body in close proximity as it falls towards its neighbour and they disintegrate into a bajillion pieces in the subsequent collision.

PLANETARY BODIES DON'T WORK THIS WAY!