Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Doom Rooster posted:

Oh snap. Is Split All an option on right click now?

Yessir! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
About time, awesome!

I don't have nearly as much time to play as I used to, so I am running solo with XP and harvest cranked way up, and tame time turned wayyy down. I'm fine dicking around on my own, but are any of the end game options soloable at all? I saw there are easy versions of bosses but assume those are still intended for groups, yeah?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Siets posted:

What do you mean by mass spoiling meat?

I learned last night you can do Split All on a stack of meat to speed up that process greatly if you want spoiled meat for narcos. The flip side is also true where you can keep everything in stacks to greatly reduce spoilage.

Yeah there are mod solutions for spoiling meat faster, but in the base game that's still probably the best option. It sucks because that's a lot of micro, and a lot of inventory spaces. The best (laziest) option is still just letting meat accumulate on your carnivores. But yeah if you need a ton of narcs in a short amount of time it's a bit of a pain.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Turret/Plant X Limit has caused some head scratching with my tribe, trying to work out how to get our bases down to the required limit.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Siets posted:

I'm brand new to the game and still just getting a handle on how things work past stone tier, but I have to imagine there are going to be other solutions to the Steggo + C4 problem than just turrets? Just spitballing but:

-Powerful tamed dinos roaming the perimeter on aggressive
-Extra wall layers / maze structures to increase the C4 requirement
-Strategic placement of rocket turrets

At a certain point, I don't really think a base should be able to automatically defend itself at all hours of the day with zero player interaction either. Unkillable alpha tribes indicate to me that once a server has become established, that's it - the game is over for that server. It discourages new players from wanting to join and try their luck. I don't see that as good gameplay design overall, but I've also never partaken in an end game raid so I don't really have a grasp on how realistic it is to truly overtake an existing alpha tribe.

These giant clusterfuck bases are clearly killing performance too. It's cool that goons have an insane empire, but it melts my GTX 1080 system down to an 8FPS slideshow of an experience. It's the only game where I can hear my GPU's fans while wearing my noise canceling headphones. Even outside the base there is constant rubber-banding with everything else on the map. Not saying turret nerfing is the only solution to this, far from it, but I am glad they are at least taking steps to address it.

I've seen the layered and honeycombed/maze designs before. You're absolutely right about the alpha tribes though. The only problem with the system is that its very realistic in that respect. On the other hand the hammer space of resources means that its nigh impossible for smaller tribes to band together and truly wipe anyone once they get to that point. Spent 6 hours in some last alliance of beach bobs of demolishing a wall? Oh its ok, that dude has half a city's worth of guns ammo and materials stuffed in his pet otter's arsehole, he just has to put them all back down instantly and its like nothing happened. I can't think of any fun way of balancing out cost and reward. There are too many moving parts within the scope of the game that tries to let you do everything to plug all the holes that determined min maxers poke in it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

So my ocean surface water is opaque and I see that’s a known issue with Macs. All I’ve found are posts complaining about it, nothing about a fix. Any ideas?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Siets posted:

-Powerful tamed dinos roaming the perimeter on aggressive
-Extra wall layers / maze structures to increase the C4 requirement
-Strategic placement of rocket turrets

1: The AI is stupid and if your primary defense is tamed dinosaurs I'm just going to scoop them all up in a bird and drown them.
2: People do this already but once you get to the point where you can farm C4 effectively and quickly "A few extra walls" don't really matter. I've seen goon groups completely demolish structures "Just because we could" and not caring about costs at all.
3: Turrets being easy to mitigate is already a problem, it doesn't really matter how you place them. There's a reason turret spam became prevalent, because you needed enough turrets to zot out a soak bronto quickly, which is silly as poo poo.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

HelloSailorSign posted:

So my ocean surface water is opaque and I see that’s a known issue with Macs. All I’ve found are posts complaining about it, nothing about a fix. Any ideas?

I managed to fix it, but good luck fixing performance in general being utter shite on Macs period. I've got a 2016 top spec Macbook with the best possible video card and it was an absolutely slideshow even on medium. It's really honestly meant to be played in a Windows environment. At the very least consider bootcamp if it is your only option.

All that aside...

The fix I found was to go into the game's install directory and locate this specific file:
code:
./Content/PrimalEarth/Environment/Water/Water_DepthBlur_MIC.uasset
I did not have TheCenter downloaded and installed, so what I did was rename the file to Water_DepthBlur_MIC.uasset.bak so that the game stopped loading it. This made the water a little too translucent but it got rid of the horrendous pixelated gray oil slick look it had before.

If you have TheCenter mod/DLC downloaded and installed, then simply copy and place it's water file with the same name from it's directory over the top of the PrimalEarth directory's water file to achieve normal looking water:
code:
./Content/Mods/TheCenter/Assets/Mic/Water_DepthBlur_MIC.uasset

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah I’ve got it set to low - 2014 iMac. Thanks for the tips, I’ll see if that works!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That did it! I have The Center, so it looks like it's supposed to now. Thanks.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking it was unfair that carnivore tames had a superior taming timer reduction technique by feeding them prime meat compared to herbivores which to me was always just "mejoberries, lol..."

Turns out you can feed them stimberries until they are halfway or mostly starved, let them wake up, knock them down again, and then finish with mejoberries. By letting them wake up, it resets the taming efficiency rating to its default but the dino retains their starved status. Pretty neato taming trick I thought.

Also I joined DEA but their base and overall setup is super overwhelming to me as a newbie. (The entire server they are based on is also a rubber-bandy-laggy-mess too unfortunately, which makes for aggravating gameplay for me personally. Not sure if this recently got any better with the turret nerf or not.) A bunch of my RL friends tagged along when I picked up Ark with the Steam sale, so our 7~9 member group is slowly progressing past stone into metal tier (hopefully) and I'm learning the game fairly well with them. I think it helps to be on the ground floor with building up new infrastructure to really learn how things work, so I'm excited to dive into Aberration with DEA goons when that launches.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I play this on a private server i run for my little brother. I had to set him up a private server because he was logging into the pve servers. And driving me absolutely nuts with his complaints about the animal garages that keep the servers at the tame caps and all that drama. Whats amusing is there isnt a way for the pve servers to clean that up, is there? Im listening to his bitching about it, and its coming across as a microcosm of American politics. As the poor and under class (those without any tames and prevented from getting tames by server cap) get prevented from performing any actions against those that ruin it for everyone (tame capped parking accounts) and if you complain, or listen to chat, its not the fault of people at their tame cap, its the fault of new players or the chinese. blaming poor and minorities. so amusing :allears:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

I play this on a private server i run for my little brother. I had to set him up a private server because he was logging into the pve servers. And driving me absolutely nuts with his complaints about the animal garages that keep the servers at the tame caps and all that drama. Whats amusing is there isnt a way for the pve servers to clean that up, is there? Im listening to his bitching about it, and its coming across as a microcosm of American politics. As the poor and under class (those without any tames and prevented from getting tames by server cap) get prevented from performing any actions against those that ruin it for everyone (tame capped parking accounts) and if you complain, or listen to chat, its not the fault of people at their tame cap, its the fault of new players or the chinese. blaming poor and minorities. so amusing :allears:

Yeah I've found myself laughing at the fact that the game makes me worry like some 1940's newspaper about the yellow peril facing the server, they eat you in your sleep you know! Then espousing the trump solution, asking why the alpha's haven't built a wall yet. Its a 24 hour game in a world with 24 timezones. The only problem is that there's only ever room for political intrigue and diplomacy with people who play at overlapping times. There's as many people playing on the island on the reverse timezone that aren't playing the same game as you at all. Its kind of like I am Legend or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzaVd6zl2bA.

KING BONG
Aug 6, 2009
This game is the best survival game out. Are there any Goon PS4 groups/servers?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Aberration is just around the corner. Anyone else excited about it? I’m planning to start on a private server with friends and do a whole lot of building and exploring.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Aberration released today.

How is performance since they had all the issues (on PC)? Wondering if I should grab the xpac or not.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Performance seems the same as it is on any other map. No better, no worse.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Watching a literal CRAB BATTLE with nearly a hundred goons pelting one with arrows was a lot of fun today. :allears:

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I had to reinstall my Ark because it kept failing and telling me there wasn't enough space on the drive to install the update. When I uninstalled it cleared up 230gb, I have no idea where all that was because the game folder was only about half that size.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Depends posted:

When I uninstalled it cleared up 230gb, I have no idea where all that was because the game folder was only about half that size.
Steam is a fucker and updating ARK will often attempt to download another full copy of the game, even when applying a 600mb patch. Game was around 16gb at release but dev bloat quickly ate up my 128gb ssd; had to switch to 500gb. Workshop also eats a chunk.

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/

Jackard fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 13, 2017

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Downloading the update is definitely hosed. I had a 12.2gb update that downloaded many times over until I caught it and killed Steam. I guess I'll validate game files or something and try again tonight, unless anyone is aware of a fix.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm finding it almost impossible to locate loose stones in Aberration. It's hard to get on the tech ladder when you can't even craft a pickaxe.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Gunder posted:

I'm finding it almost impossible to locate loose stones in Aberration. It's hard to get on the tech ladder when you can't even craft a pickaxe.

They do seem rather sporadically placed. The weirdest/dumbest part is that there are numerous areas where you can visibly see rocks on the ground but they simply aren't there.

Overall getting started on Aberration seems much more difficult. There is no "safe" area like the beaches on the Island or other maps, nor the canyon in Scorched Earth.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Colapops posted:

They do seem rather sporadically placed. The weirdest/dumbest part is that there are numerous areas where you can visibly see rocks on the ground but they simply aren't there.

Overall getting started on Aberration seems much more difficult. There is no "safe" area like the beaches on the Island or other maps, nor the canyon in Scorched Earth.

It was a lot harder before they realised they had hosed up with the Aquatic Mushrooms actually decreasing hydration. Now you can actually start in the "Easiest" Portal area and survive for long enough to make it down to the water.

loving Raptors everywhere though. Like regular spawns of 4-8 in a pack every 100 yards.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

My problem isn't typically raptors, but ravagers. The latest patch decreased their damage by 40% so maybe they won't one-shot people anymore.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So the aquatic mushrooms finally give water, but I think they also decrease your food now? Seems like the way to go is to eat a bunch of aggeravic mushrooms first and then eat a bunch of aquatic. This lets me kind of sustain for awhile.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Siets posted:

So the aquatic mushrooms finally give water, but I think they also decrease your food now? Seems like the way to go is to eat a bunch of aggeravic mushrooms first and then eat a bunch of aquatic. This lets me kind of sustain for awhile.

Yeah that's basically what I was doing. Eat food until full, then gorge on mushrooms (I think one restores ~8 water), then finish off with some food to top up. Food increases a lot quicker than water.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Seems like tamed ravagers can't use the extremely damaging+useful gash attack. Am I just missing something?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, the Ragnarok update added the rest of the desert....and may have completely hosed the spawns in the big canyon area in the middle. It is now just Spinos on the private server I play on with friends. We don't have anything running that should really affect that, so I'm 90% sure that it's from this latest patch upping Spino spawns waaaaay too hard.

It's fantastic though. Culling hordes of spinos on a wyvern is a goddamn blast. :black101:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Gate posted:

So, the Ragnarok update added the rest of the desert....and may have completely hosed the spawns in the big canyon area in the middle. It is now just Spinos on the private server I play on with friends. We don't have anything running that should really affect that, so I'm 90% sure that it's from this latest patch upping Spino spawns waaaaay too hard.

It's fantastic though. Culling hordes of spinos on a wyvern is a goddamn blast. :black101:
My guess is that spinos keep finding a place to go to the other level and the game keeps the top population topped up but they survive the fall because gently caress yeah spinos.

e: assuming the rag is now tweaked to consider top and bottom different biomes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gently caress dealing with swarms of Nameless Ones

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

wit posted:

My guess is that spinos keep finding a place to go to the other level and the game keeps the top population topped up but they survive the fall because gently caress yeah spinos.

e: assuming the rag is now tweaked to consider top and bottom different biomes.

Nah, it was a bug, they fixed it the next day. There were literally hundreds of Spinos for a day. Now there's 5 or so at a time, which is way more than before, but not insanity.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

You Am I posted:

gently caress dealing with swarms of Nameless Ones

You know about using a bulbdog/shinehorn to keep them from spawning and deal extra damage to them right? Also megalosaurus tames utterly trivialize even the largest groups of nameless. Only thing that sucks there is that they aren’t nearly as mobile as ravagers.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

It's pretty funny how insanely strong megalosaurs are in Aberration. I think they are legitimately the strongest animal on the map, since they can be bred and saddled unlike the "power" animals from Aberration.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Not being able to breed basilisks or rock drake is lame and I look forward to when the devkit is released and mods are introduced for it.

I'm an idiot baby who plays PvE and just wants to breed hundreds of dinos though

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
PvE is the best way to play this game. I stayed out of the blue area in Aberration for a long time because I assumed that there would be things in there more dangerous than ravager packs. There kinda isn't, I feel like Ravager packs are far and away the most dangerous thing I've encountered on the map. If anything the blue area is easier than the regular area, as long as you have both a light and a hazmat suit. Oh and at least one high level mount, probably a ravager. If you can get two high level ravagers with a mate boost you are gravy as gently caress, you will demolish anything with ease in the blue.

I spent a long time not engaging with breeding and now I regret it. Breeding is the fuckin way to go, gently caress taming each individual thing. Just never ever use vanilla rates, unless you hate yourself. Speed that poo poo up.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 29, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Two years ago is the best way to play this game

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I skipped Scorched Earth but I am loving the gently caress out of Abberation. It completely rekindled my bizarre love with this game.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jackard posted:

Two years ago is the best way to play this game

Pepperidge Farm Remembers :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I skipped Scorched Earth but I am loving the gently caress out of Abberation. It completely rekindled my bizarre love with this game.

I like Aberration, although I always get lost in the hell pit because everything looks the same and it's hard to identify landmarks for getting out