Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Who are these people? Some sort of Scientology thing?

A Christian huckster
sitting since 2005
This plane

VVVVVVV
The Flying Death Trap

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

quote:

(for more about the plane, see the sidebar "The 'Flying Death Trap,' " at the end of this article)

:frogon:

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

My consulting firm serves Universal Weather and Aviation. I heard about this story from the CIO but didn't know they're still owed money over the debacle. What a clusterfuck.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

PASCO is, as mentioned above, not a good employer, for a lot of reasons I really don't want to get into on a publicly available forum.

The big thing here is that this is a move by Westjet and Encore (which is in every legal definition a separate company from Westjet) to counter both companies unionising. The same can be said for Westjet's impending ultra-low cost carrier, Swoop. From a pilot's perspective, this is a bad thing because it's going to be used as an excuse to keep wages low for as long as the company is able to hold out, and it also further muddies the upgrade path, especially for Encore pilots, who have now basically had one of their key promises (the upgrade path from Encore to mainline Westjet) made to them in the hiring process completely broken.

If it makes you feel any better, PASCO is about as popular as herpes right now with everyone I've talked to, and Westjet's getting on the poo poo list too (although it's obviously still a goal for a lot of pilots here in Calgary). They are entering a world of pain.

In addition to loving with Westjet's labour relations, PASCO are apparently desperate for pilots and have not accepted that they are in a weak-rear end position compared to other employers who are looking for similar qualifications. My instructor finally got a call back from them this week, but he had already accepted a job with better pay, and better opportunities for advancement, flying nicer aircraft for a better operator.

Also, all the schools around here are desperate as gently caress for instructors, so, god willing, they may eventually decide to pay a proper living wage! As you mentioned, they're still very reluctant to accept that a stronger job market for pilots means actually having to pay more money and offer better working conditions.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is all pro-click, and for those who doubt:

quote:

Kilari's most immediate problem is a civil lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.

The suit, filed by the Friends of the Israeli Defense Forces, alleges that Kilari defrauded the Friends out of $850,000 the group paid him to fly his plane to Poland and Israel for a Holocaust memorial.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That guy really puts the "artist" back in "con artist". :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

That guy really puts the "artist" back in "con artist". :allears:

See: Most ministries like that.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
This piece of poo poo has one of the other few 747SP’s left in the wild.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

Well that's not something you can bring up in every episode. It's more of a "season finale" kind of things.

one of my friends owns and flies a Hatz biplane

the closing "pilot ejected" anecdote has given me an Idea for his christmas present :)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

In the late 1980's I used to fly on United's 747SP's (old PanAm stuff) from SFO to Osaka. Business class was the upper deck. Nice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ausgezeichnet posted:

Nice to see flags of convenience make it into the aviation world.

Didn’t the google founders have a 747 of some variant at one point?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL9sNrOlK-I

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ausgezeichnet posted:

That thing is so out of place when it is chilling at CAK.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

:stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Flikken posted:

That thing is so out of place when it is chilling at CAK.

The other one is really easy to spot on Google Maps at the Tijuana airport.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I love the way they just throw themselves into the plane. And the padding on the interior!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Luneshot posted:

I love the way they just throw themselves into the plane. And the padding on the interior!

Goldeneye did it first.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Apparently American Airlines accidentally gave all their pilots the week of Christmas off.

Oops.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Apparently American Airlines accidentally gave all their pilots the week of Christmas off.

Oops.

Chris Rea: "Goddammit not again."

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Oops.

How can you possibly even business that bad

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Oops.

I would not want to be on the Dev team that screwed up that code. drat..

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I went on a vacation to visit family in rural southern Ontario and just got back. I few both ways, and as my dad had booked my ticket, I charted a MAXIMUM VALUE path from Newfoundland and back again. On the trip back, I flew London (Ontario) - Toronto - Montreal - Halifax - Gander, changing planes each time.

• Flying into and out of London was a Dash-8 100 from the mid 1980s. As I also flew on CRJ 200s going up and back, I can confirm that they are larger on the inside than the CRJs. Also if you sit in the middle of a Dash-8, you can't see the horizon very well, and in a situation where, say, there's an unusually warm day creating turbulence, and you have to fly across a major urban area zig-zagging through a holding pattern and then recross a major urban area with further turbulence, this can create nausea in passengers. Ask me how I know
  • Now on gravol, I drank black coffee in TO and practiced my plane ID skills. Thanks to Major Kong's post a month or two back, I can now tell 777s, 737s, and 787s from each other. 757s and 767s remain hazy, as are A330s. CRJs and the Embraer equivalent are similarly mysterious.
  • I was so relaxed thanks to the gravol I didn't notice that my flight was boarding even though I was literally sitting next to the gate - I made it aboard the 777 for Montreal, but the people at the gate just laughed, as one of them had just paged me as I was walking toward them, so I didn't hold anything up.
  • First time aboard a 777, and the first time I'd been aboard a wide-body since like grade school. It is nice. The Shuttle to Montreal was half-full and I had a row of seats to myself.
  • Montreal airport is mall-ish in its construction, but its bathrooms smell nice and there is art in them instead of ads
  • While waiting for the next flight, I decided that Air Transat is the worst name. That airline also has a weird art-exhibition style ad at one end of the terminal, which sounds of seagulls and has screens embedded into wooden pillars.
  • Like a dummy who's never been there before, I was impressed with the vast Bombardier plants just off the runway.
  • The flight to Halifax was a Embraer 190. Halifax is a terminal that remains depressingly the same from my university days, and has a sort of dying mall feel to it. (Or maybe this is just compared to the very busy TO and Montreal malls terminals.) I bought a sandwich after noticing the three open shops all apparently stocked the same sandwiches. I vaguely wondered about what kinda shenanigans it took to lock up the Halifax International airport concession, but decided the knowledge would blacken my soul.
  • One more thing: if you ever wanted a 1970s camper or RV (y'know, like they use in Stripes,) South-western Ontario is where you want to go. You may have to deal with mice damage, though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

How can you possibly even business that bad

Computer “glitch” let everyone book Christmas off so they all did.

Every major airline has had at least one grounding due to computer problems so it’s not too insane.

*i guarantee the glitch is someone fat fingering something and the minimum number on duty got set to 0 or something along those lines

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I feel sorry for any poor saps who didn’t opt‐out of Christmas before the company noticed.

They’ll have to work the holiday and they don’t have the bargaining power to get paid well for it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 29, 2017

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I feel sorry for any poor saps who didn’t book opt‐out of Christmas before the company noticed.

They’ll have to work the holiday and they don’t have the bargaining power to get paid well for it.

If they hadn’t requested it by now then they wouldn’t have gotten it, glitch or not. Christmas leave is very competitive as it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Prop Wash posted:

If they hadn’t requested it by now then they wouldn’t have gotten it, glitch or not. Christmas leave is very competitive as it is.

I mean that they didn’t even try because they assumed they wouldn’t get it.

Or they didn’t try because they needed the money. Now they’re getting normal holiday rate instead of whatever everyone else is able to hold out for.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Not everyone working on holidays hates it. I love working on holidays because I don't have huge family obligations, so we tend to just all take time off and get together some other time, when things aren't all hosed over and insane by the fact a major holiday is going on. Granted, I'm definitely in the minority, but I'd have no problem working Christmas or whatever so someone who does care about having Christmas off can have it off instead.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

PT6A posted:

Not everyone working on holidays hates it. I love working on holidays because I don't have huge family obligations, so we tend to just all take time off and get together some other time, when things aren't all hosed over and insane by the fact a major holiday is going on. Granted, I'm definitely in the minority, but I'd have no problem working Christmas or whatever so someone who does care about having Christmas off can have it off instead.
Yeah, but they're still missing the chance to negotiate for an even higher rate than normal. That's the really lovely part.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I went on a vacation to visit family in rural southern Ontario and just got back. I few both ways, and as my dad had booked my ticket, I charted a MAXIMUM VALUE path from Newfoundland and back again. On the trip back, I flew London (Ontario) - Toronto - Montreal - Halifax - Gander, changing planes each time.

• Flying into and out of London was a Dash-8 100 from the mid 1980s. As I also flew on CRJ 200s going up and back, I can confirm that they are larger on the inside than the CRJs. Also if you sit in the middle of a Dash-8, you can't see the horizon very well, and in a situation where, say, there's an unusually warm day creating turbulence, and you have to fly across a major urban area zig-zagging through a holding pattern and then recross a major urban area with further turbulence, this can create nausea in passengers. Ask me how I know
  • Now on gravol, I drank black coffee in TO and practiced my plane ID skills. Thanks to Major Kong's post a month or two back, I can now tell 777s, 737s, and 787s from each other. 757s and 767s remain hazy, as are A330s. CRJs and the Embraer equivalent are similarly mysterious.
  • I was so relaxed thanks to the gravol I didn't notice that my flight was boarding even though I was literally sitting next to the gate - I made it aboard the 777 for Montreal, but the people at the gate just laughed, as one of them had just paged me as I was walking toward them, so I didn't hold anything up.
  • First time aboard a 777, and the first time I'd been aboard a wide-body since like grade school. It is nice. The Shuttle to Montreal was half-full and I had a row of seats to myself.
  • Montreal airport is mall-ish in its construction, but its bathrooms smell nice and there is art in them instead of ads
  • While waiting for the next flight, I decided that Air Transat is the worst name. That airline also has a weird art-exhibition style ad at one end of the terminal, which sounds of seagulls and has screens embedded into wooden pillars.
  • Like a dummy who's never been there before, I was impressed with the vast Bombardier plants just off the runway.
  • The flight to Halifax was a Embraer 190. Halifax is a terminal that remains depressingly the same from my university days, and has a sort of dying mall feel to it. (Or maybe this is just compared to the very busy TO and Montreal malls terminals.) I bought a sandwich after noticing the three open shops all apparently stocked the same sandwiches. I vaguely wondered about what kinda shenanigans it took to lock up the Halifax International airport concession, but decided the knowledge would blacken my soul.
  • One more thing: if you ever wanted a 1970s camper or RV (y'know, like they use in Stripes,) South-western Ontario is where you want to go. You may have to deal with mice damage, though

This sounds amazing. I love doing little short(ish) flights on small planes and it would be my jam.

Re southern Ontario do they still have Pontiac 6000s everywhere or have they all died by now?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The only fair thing is now nobody gets Christmas off

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

This sounds amazing. I love doing little short(ish) flights on small planes and it would be my jam.

Re southern Ontario do they still have Pontiac 6000s everywhere or have they all died by now?

I didn't see any when I was there, but then again even Southern Ontario is a big place.

Speaking of old things, these are parked at London international:

A Dash-7 and a Boeing 727.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 30, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah, but they're still missing the chance to negotiate for an even higher rate than normal. That's the really lovely part.

Very true. This situation is still lovely for a lot of reasons, I was just pointing out that not everyone working Christmas is unlucky or somehow forced into it, which is an opinion a surprising number of people hold.

The fair thing to do now is make it so everyone working Christmas gets whatever bonus they offer to even the last holdout.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Same.

Off peak holiday time family holidays are the best.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I didn't see any when I was there, but then again even Southern Ontario is a big place.

Speaking of old things, these are parked at Ontario international:

A Dash-7 and a Boeing 727.

The Dash-7 owns so hard. Someone post that video of one basically going VTOL.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

The Dash-7 owns so hard. Someone post that video of one basically going VTOL.

I found this, will it do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjfU4KtZtc

loving awesome plane. It upsets me on a very deep level that the company that made this eventually became the company that inflicted CRJ-200s on the world.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

PT6A posted:

loving awesome plane. It upsets me on a very deep level that the company that made this eventually became the company that inflicted CRJ-200s on the world.

Reading the history of DhC->Boeing->Bombardier->Airbus on wikipedia is just mind boggling.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ardeem posted:

Reading the history of DhC->Boeing->Bombardier->Airbus on wikipedia is just mind boggling.

See also: Viking

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PT6A posted:

You fly those in and out of Gander :shepface:

I will give it this: it can fly over weather the Dash-8 couldn't, and is faster than the Dash

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Flikken posted:

Goldeneye did it first.

yea that poo poo makes no sense. He base jumps off a dam to get to the facility, then goes down another several levels. Then ends up on a runway that has a cliff at the end. HOW HIGH UP IS THAT loving DAM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ardeem posted:

It’s amazing aviation is a thing at all honestly