Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Just use the CGI Spacey from Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare and a soundalike. Boom. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Matt Lauer just got the ax. Can't say this surprises me one bit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was always so glib

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They fired him after a single complaint and said there was likely to be more. I'd be interested in what makes them say that. I guess I'm just surprised somebody's acting decisively on these things for once.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 29, 2017

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vegetable posted:

They fired him after a single complaint and said there was likely to be more. I'd be interested in what makes them say that. I guess I'm just surprised somebody's acting decisively on these things for once.

Don't know how credible this is as a news source, but they're claiming he sexually assaulted someone during the Rio Olympics coverage:
https://pagesix.com/2017/11/29/matt-lauer-allegedly-sexually-assaulted-female-staffer-during-olympics/

He's always given me this real creepy vibe. The way NBC handled Ann Curry's leaving the Today show and his acrimonious divorce (where his wife described him as "cruel and inhumane") helped to cement that for me. Reading up on him I guess it's been an open secret that he's had affairs with quite a few women at NBC over the years.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Well, now Garrison Keillor just got fired by Minnesota Public Radio. I know nothing about him beyond general cultural osmosis about Lake Wobegon, so I can't really say if this was expected.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This certainly puts Lauer's roundly-criticized interview of Hillary Clinton in an even harsher light.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Nucleic Acids posted:

Well, now Garrison Keillor just got fired by Minnesota Public Radio. I know nothing about him beyond general cultural osmosis about Lake Wobegon, so I can't really say if this was expected.

I got a free Lake Wobegon audiobook once and all the stories were about sexual discoveries in the glorious days of the fifties or whatever so I'm not massively shocked.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/935928545183797248

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Keillor's always seemed like a hypocrite and a scumbag to me so good riddance

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Keillor has always been considered a reclusive weirdo, but I've never heard bad stories about him. People usually find the Prairie Home Companion annoying enough by itself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

From that same Twitter feed, Keillor also literally had an op-ed get published last night defending Al Franken, and MPR has been dealing with these allegations for over a month, which means Keillor what his own situation was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dont even fink about it posted:

This certainly puts Lauer's roundly-criticized interview of Hillary Clinton in an even harsher light.

That's really funny, because it's one of the only non-softball interviews either candidate got. Journalism is debased.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Good, I hope they erase his bullshit from the archives too. gently caress Keillor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's really funny, because it's one of the only non-softball interviews either candidate got. Journalism is debased.

Sure, but instead of a substantive interview it was more "BUT YOUR EMAILS" poo poo, while Trump got softballed despite doing his normal absurdist clown routine.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/29/16715478/matt-lauer-today-hillary-clinton-anne-hathaway-interviews

Essentially, Matt Lauer being terrible has been an open secret so long that this firing comes decades too late.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No argument there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, I mean, didn't CBS wind up offering a poo poo-ton of money to get Katie Couric to jump because it was known she hated Lauer, and then Curry was basically bullied off the show (presumably because she wouldn't sleep with him), as I recall.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Yeah, I mean, didn't CBS wind up offering a poo poo-ton of money to get Katie Couric to jump because it was known she hated Lauer, and then Curry was basically bullied off the show (presumably because she wouldn't sleep with him), as I recall.

Somehow it was kept out of the press that it was always sex stuff in so many words, but really the breadcrumb trail is everywhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Lauer investigation had some really creepy reveals, like how he had a goddamn supervillain button on his desk that let him lock the door to his office without getting up. Thus making sure women couldn't escape.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this! posted:

The Lauer investigation had some really creepy reveals, like how he had a goddamn supervillain button on his desk that let him lock the door to his office without getting up. Thus making sure women couldn't escape.

He is Dennis Reynolds in real life

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bobkatt013 posted:

He is Dennis Reynolds in real life

Because of the implication?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Other way around, I think. He could lock the door so that no one could walk in.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

So, like a regular door?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

So not Dennis Reynolds, Ron Swanson.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chili posted:

So not Dennis Reynolds, Ron Swanson.

No, every higher-up at NBC had the button and it was in case of an active shooter or something similar; Lauer was just misusing his. So Dennis.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, every higher-up at NBC had the button and it was in case of an active shooter or something similar; Lauer was just misusing his. So Dennis.

I like this better than the other two stories I read about the button: that it was for higher-ups to close the door for normal non-sexual-harassment conversations; or the implication that he had it installed and his office located in a secluded area specifically to trap women.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I read that button-operated doors were common among NBC brass, but nothing about it being for defense against active shooters besides someone making a guess in the genchat thread. I figured it was a luxury option the contractor upsold the suits into thinking they needed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's something some dipshit thought was cool and anything else is a post-hoc rationalization.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Here's our Geraldo story
https://jezebel.com/heres-bette-midler-in-1991-talking-about-geraldo-rivera-1820856435

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/936761114230181888

Care to speculate?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

According to Variety, he didn't show back up to work after Thanksgiving and no one can get in touch with him.

That's, uh, not at all troubling.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
He's probably out burying the bodies of his rape victims somewhere.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe he had some bad stuffing over Thanksgiving

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
The Danny Masterson situation seems really eerie to me; the church of scientology is well known for protecting their own...

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
That powerful Hollywood guy (Adam Venit) who groped Terry Crews is back at work with a pass, and it looks like Crews' career is over as result for speaking out: https://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2017/11/30/terry-crews.html

Jesus loving Christ. :psyboom:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

viral spiral posted:

Lol, i am not surprised. The guy's agency is William Morris Endeavor and it is a super powerful talent agency. Their CO-ceos are Patrick Whitesell whose whole family is litterally everywhere in Hollywood and Ari Emanuel (Rahm's brother), a certain character from entourage is heavily based on him: Ari Gold. The whole Jeremy Piven's situation makes the whole thing even funnier. This is like a really special episode of Entourage.
Edit: one where no one will bitch in the thread if you dare to say that the show is poo poo.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 2, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, WME is basically the agency (CAA is still up there, but it's no longer the super-agency that it was with Michael Ovitz at the helm). They can and do make and break careers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

viral spiral posted:

That powerful Hollywood guy (Adam Venit) who groped Terry Crews is back at work with a pass, and it looks like Crews' career is over as result for speaking out: https://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2017/11/30/terry-crews.html

I'm not seeing what in the article suggests his career is over. Granted Brooklyn 99 will probably end soonish and then we'll have to see.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm not seeing what in the article suggests his career is over. Granted Brooklyn 99 will probably end soonish and then we'll have to see.

Beyond "soonish," I'd say it's probably over after this season. It was on the bubble after this past season (especially because Fox doesn't own it, which is now one of their huge criteria for renewals) and it's now at the point that no one's watching it despite being as good as ever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Timby posted:

Beyond "soonish," I'd say it's probably over after this season. It was on the bubble after this past season (especially because Fox doesn't own it, which is now one of their huge criteria for renewals) and it's now at the point that no one's watching it despite being as good as ever.

WHAT!? But I watch all of it as soon as it's on Canadian Netflix!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Netflix effect? They gonna launch their own service?

Also what kind of dummy grabs a big buff straight black man's junk?