Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/Thebigbadben90/status/931871151151775744

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Waffleman_ posted:

I gotchu. The main source for this is The Art of Shin Godzilla.

Unrelated, I like how the three latest Godzilla movies have been in an arms race to see who can make the biggest G.

The order of these is really funny. Like sometime AFTER it can regenerate from a single cell and produce infinite energy, it can adapt to harsh environments. I like how unrestrained the ideas are

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wait, Hannah Barbera Godzilla is taller than Shin and Legendary?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Legendary: We're gonna make the biggest Godzilla.

Toho: We're gonna make a bigger one!

Polygon: Hold my beer.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wait, Hannah Barbera Godzilla is taller than Shin and Legendary?

Looks like they added an extra 20-30 meters.

“30 stories high” would be like 100 meters, based on a story being a little over 3 meters. (Don’t know if they drilled down further on this one)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waffleman_ posted:

Legendary: We're gonna make the biggest Godzilla.

Toho: We're gonna make a bigger one!

Polygon: Hold my beer.

I hope each new iteration of Godzilla keeps getting bigger to surpass the previous one.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I hope each new iteration of Godzilla keeps getting bigger to surpass the previous one.

To the point where we have a Godzilla so huge he has his own gravitational pull. Of course, the only worthy adversary for Planet Godzilla would be something capable of fighting a planet-Unicron.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 19, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

By the third movie, Godzilla will BE the Planet of the Monsters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/932200973929291777

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tengan Toppa Gurren Gojira looking good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Waffleman_ posted:

By the third movie, Godzilla will BE the Planet of the Monsters.

Please don't fat-shame Godzilla.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yo Godzilla so fat, he doesn't have atomic breath, he's got onion breath

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Need someone to crunch the numbers and see how many tiny original Godzillas can fit inside the new Gigazilla.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rough Lobster posted:

Need someone to crunch the numbers and see how many tiny original Godzillas can fit inside the new Gigazilla.

The reveal at the end of the anime is that there’s a Godzilla piloting the big Godzilla.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ughhhh, I want to visit so bad!

https://kotaku.com/inside-tokyos-go...dium=Socialflow

https://twitter.com/zakiyama424/status/926765454130954245

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why does Godzilla merch have to be so expensive. :negative:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd seriously probably end up just spending all my money on the capsule machines before even looking at other merchandise.

Also, do I see a poster of the Shin Genome chart?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Reviews are coming in for Planet.

Overall, it's pretty solid, with the main complaints being it being too short (89 minutes) making it feel more like a feature length anime episode, which yeah, part of a trilogy and it was originally going to be a TV series before Shin got big, and that the story is serviceable, but more of a way to get from action scene to action scene.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
everytime i see 'zilla it astounds me anew how unlike every real godzilla he looks like, like he's a chinese ripoff character or something

which I guess technically he kind of is

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

mandatory lesbian posted:

everytime i see 'zilla it astounds me anew how unlike every real godzilla he looks like, like he's a chinese ripoff character or something

which I guess technically he kind of is

Hey now. A Chinese ripoff would look more like Godzilla than the American one

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

nvm

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Death Jackal! :black101: Magma Turtle! :black101::black101:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Magma Turtle is 50% of the way there to Gamera so let's hurry the gently caress up and get to that cinematic universe please

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I, Butthole posted:

Magma Turtle is 50% of the way there to Gamera so let's hurry the gently caress up and get to that cinematic universe please

It would make a lot of sense that a lot of these crazy critters are meant to be the in-betweens of normal prehistoric animals and superpowered Kaiju.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But Gamera is made of turtle meat, not magma.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
God drat, the West sucks at giant monster names.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah Big Moth, Gorilla-Whale and Big Shrimp are truly inspired names.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Monarch are scientists, not screenwriters, dammit.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah Big Moth, Gorilla-Whale and Big Shrimp are truly inspired names.

Gojira does not mean "Gorilla-Whale," it means Gojira. The name is etymologically derived from gorira and kujira, but the name itself is not a semantic extension of those two words.

Similarly, Mosura does not mean "Big Moth" and Ebirah does not mean "Big Shrimp." The names are, rather than merely cosmetic or descriptive, quite personal, identifying the monster as a character. Their names refer to something, but the reference is not the point.

Words have meaning.

Waffleman_ posted:

Monarch are scientists, not screenwriters, dammit.

More specifically, the characterization is that Monarch are bad scientists. They see a giant bat, but the scientific name they give it is about giving the impression of how amazing it is that they discovered this "insane" (how?) predator. They seem confident that the creature extends from a heretofore unknown genus, but why would they equate this genus with scavengers? How could they possibly know that all the so-called genus Vulturus are scavengers? Is that really the most important part of the animal? And what makes it insane?

edit:

Monster Name Fight

(Yes, I realize the hypocrisy in using two Western monsters, my point still stands that Monarch are the Image Comics of monster-naming organizations.)

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 30, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Gorgo makes sense in-universe because it was made up on the spot by some carnival conman

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Words have meaning.

You say this after explaining away the meaning of words. Mothra absolutely means big moth because shes a giant loving moth. It can be a character name too and your false dichotomy is really dumb.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HannibalBarca posted:

Gorgo makes sense in-universe because it was made up on the spot by some carnival conman

Which is why it's mind-boggling that Legendary is going with N.O.T.S.H.I.E.L.D. as the glue that holds these films together. Don't get me wrong, there are some strong scientist characters in giant monster history, but Monarch is specifically the absence of an individual. Its interpretations of what makes something monstrous (and thus desirable) is streamlined of risk.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You say this after explaining away the meaning of words. Mothra absolutely means big moth because shes a giant loving moth. It can be a character name too and your false dichotomy is really dumb.

Mothra is not a big moth. It (she?) is a primordial god.

Words have meaning. If the authors of The Luminous Fairies and Mothra wanted the character's name to be "Big Moth" or "Big Butterfly," they would have used those words. They coined the term "Mosura," because they were not in fact interested in telling a story about a giant moth. Indeed, "moth" is not a Japanese word, and there are no dental fricatives in Japanese, necessitating the approximation - but not native translation - "mosl." Naming the character "Mosura" does not describe a "Big Moth." "Big" is not in the name at all. The name implies something superficially like, but, nonetheless, altogether unlike a moth.

I have not explained away meaning. I have explained that you don't know the meaning of a word, because you are conflating the word - or, more precisely, the name - itself with the superficial characteristics that inspired the word, rather than give it definition.

It would be like if I named my son Peter, and you thought he was literally some kind of rock. "Man, your wife must still be hurtin'!"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I agree with him though, that they are inspired names. For instance, Giant Robo is a cool-rear end name, even though it's obviously just "Giant Robot" with the T cut off.

"Monster X" is a very different name than "The Mystery Monster" in terms of dramatic effect, even though they communicate the same information.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But also on a fourth wall level, these are just fuckin' mook monsters, their names don't need to be amazing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Kaijus having proper names also emphasizes the fact that they're singular entities -- it lines up with the idea that they are closer to gods than animals.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Gojira does not mean "Gorilla-Whale," it means Gojira. The name is etymologically derived from gorira and kujira, but the name itself is not a semantic extension of those two words.

Nah, it's sort of like if we called a monster "Whalerilla."

Also, Mothra is a primordial god, but Mothra is also totally just a really fuckoff huge moth.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But is King Ghidorah actually a king?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

But is King Ghidorah actually a king?

Inasmuch as King Kong is a king.