Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Vera just skipped town and probably wouldnt come back even if the plot focused on him

also the beeps for minutes still happened in the fishtank room scene, so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Vera's last scene implied that him and Elliot would meet again, either through coincidence or Vera seeking him out. In the back of my mind I'm still hoping he shows up out of nowhere as a surprise twist, but his character has probably been written out of the show for good

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Get your e-coin water bottles!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Booooooo

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Harminoff posted:

Got one! That makes two prizes so far. Hoodie and now this.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
What's the site you guys are getting these swag from? Ecoin rewards?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

At this point, the website is just a weekly update of "look at this stuff you'll never own". :negative:

If only there was a way to time travel to know when to check the page...

I just need a hadron collider, 5 alternate personalities, Kali Linux, and a dream.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Basically every thing is going Whiterose's way right now and she's letting herself relax a bit.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mameluke posted:

Basically every thing is going Whiterose's way right now and she's letting herself relax a bit.

Or she just pulls that trick for the Plebs.

Alex Jones stand in not withstanding.

Edit- Real reason is its a fun personality quirk to introduce the character but would be a loving nightmare to implement every time we see said character.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 28, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also not the sort of thing that would be appropriate in all company. Whiterose is savvy enough not to have her watch beep conspicuously in situations where it would interfere with her diplomatic goals.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elliott should break that incest taboo, if you know what I’m saying

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Now I want an episode where the expat Vera meets Chinese Elliot

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

killmeimmafailure posted:

Elliott should break that incest taboo, if you know what I’m saying

He already did when he kissed Angela.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Snak posted:

A little late on this, but I didn't want to phone post it.

I think that "annexing the Congo" is a story-telling device. I mean, is it something that makes actual geo-political economic sense in the real world? No. But if you want to convey to the viewer some kid of tangible expression of political power, people know what annexation is. This is a show were we're already show and have accepted the level of information control and financial control that the major players have. How do you communicate clearly and concisely to someone that a giant organization with more power and money than can properly be conceived of by the average person has "won a major victory"? You can't just say "China made 10 trillion more dollars" and have it have any real weight as a plot point. Saying "China annexed another country" conveys a sense of tangible conquest.

I think it's a good concession to storytelling over realism.

I agree mostly. Show China is more powerful than irl China. ECorp is more powerful than any real corporation. Though I would say it is not so much 'unrealistic' as it is just that this show takes place in a different reality, if that makes sense.

It also fits with Zhang's character to annex a country for its resources even if they can control them well enough without doing it. Zhang is all about complete control not "enough control to get what I want." He wants all the resources, building his project (which I agree with others is most likely a time machine of some sort) will require more than just cheap access to Coltan. He is likely going to have to adapt most of the country's resources toward completing the project and will need all the wealth and control he can get to pull it off. He will also need to distract others and make it look like it is just a classic money grab when really it is all about his personal project/facility.

Zhang doesn't do the watch beeping but he is still time-obsessed. Like in his meeting with Pryce where he says "I only agree to this meeting because this room happens to be on my way out." To Pryce it sounds like a dickish power-play thing to say but to us we think he's not kidding, he really cares about every minute of each day.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

DrPlump posted:

The Whiterose facility in the Congo is a large multi floor time travel device activated that operates on the principals laid out in the movie Primer. ECorp has their own building sized device that was activated shortly before Washington Township leak of 1993 called the failsafe(1). No time travel is possible before this point. They used advanced knowledge of event to increase their own wealth. Whiterose worked for a secret Chinese government agency like the CIA or KGB except more secret because we dont even know their name. They have their own failsafe(0) device but it much smaller. It was activated before the ECorp device thereby allowing them to travel to a point before and possibly even prevent the activation of failsafe(1). Due to size limitations the Chinese are only capable of sending a much smaller team back to in failsafe(0) so even if they are first they do not have full advantage.

This is only the beginning of course there has been many failsafe devices constructed by both sides since then allowing travel back to key points in the timeline. Elliot has the ability to access memories from deleted timelines due to the Washington Township leak of 1993. Mr Robot is future Elliot from previous reset timelines. Due to his ability Elliot is more valuable alive even if they kill him a version of him would still exist if the timeline is reset. His therapist is working for the dark army and Mr Robot is aware of this.

As much as I struggled to understand what the gently caress was happening in Primer the first few times I saw it (and came to understand it better after just reading about it online) this interpretation of the show's sci-fi meta actually sits pretty well with me.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

At this point, the website is just a weekly update of "look at this stuff you'll never own". :negative:

If only there was a way to time travel to know when to check the page...

I just need a hadron collider, 5 alternate personalities, Kali Linux, and a dream.

I’ve managed to get all but 2 of the rewards. Setting up push notifications for the mr robot twitter account will alert you the fastest. Those seem to come in a good 5 minutes faster than the emails are pushed out and I’ve gotten every reward since turning the push notifications on.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Angela is not Darlene. I was wrong. She is a broken shell of herself though.

Man I hope that time travel theory is right though. Sounds rad.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Benson Cunningham posted:

Angela is not Darlene. I was wrong. She is a broken shell of herself though.

Man I hope that time travel theory is right though. Sounds rad.

I do think that the Angela = Darlene theory is well and dead.
However, with the recent events the whole board is open and we really have very little clue as to what WR/Zhangs true goals are.

Seems like it might be Elliot trying to hack the power away from those really in power, a real revolution to bring the Zhangs and the Prices of the world down. Seems like a hell of a reset to square 1 though.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

empty baggie posted:

I’ve managed to get all but 2 of the rewards. Setting up push notifications for the mr robot twitter account will alert you the fastest. Those seem to come in a good 5 minutes faster than the emails are pushed out and I’ve gotten every reward since turning the push notifications on.

:respek:

This will be the reason I finally make a Twitter account, thanks!

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Elliot is an android. Possibly from the future. My evidence is that he has a 'connection' with Tyrell (think Tyrell Corp) Wellick and that shot at the start of S03E01 which backs out of the high-tech place where White Rose is saying a bunch of mysterious and ominous things and ends up popping out of Elliot's eyes. If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

Also the show is called Mr Robot.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fuckpot posted:

Elliot is an android. Possibly from the future. My evidence is that he has a 'connection' with Tyrell (think Tyrell Corp) Wellick and that shot at the start of S03E01 which backs out of the high-tech place where White Rose is saying a bunch of mysterious and ominous things and ends up popping out of Elliot's eyes. If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

Also the show is called Mr Robot.

So, the gooniest Terminator?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:respek:

This will be the reason I finally make a Twitter account, thanks!

Good luck! Just know that you will now get a message every time they tweet, so be prepared to get 10ish messages a day and hoping it's the one.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

gently caress

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

I know he destroyed the HDD and the RAM, but what did he pull off the mobo with pliers and then microwave?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

cochise posted:

I know he destroyed the HDD and the RAM, but what did he pull off the mobo with pliers and then microwave?

TPM?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have not seen tonight's episode yet but man I am not sure free swag is worth following this twitter and having mini spoilers(?) thrown at me as notifications..

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Do people really cosplay BTTF like Rocky Horror?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Okay the teasing is starting to get loving absurd

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

tomapot posted:

Do people really cosplay BTTF like Rocky Horror?

Nerds exist, ergo yes.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This episode is sad. :(

EDIT: Maybe not. :unsmith:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 30, 2017

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Ah gotcha. Makes sense.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

This episode is sad. :(

EDIT: Maybe not. :unsmith:

It's both. The episode is a eulogy to Trenton and Mobley and definitely how you do characters, even if minor, justice in the narrative. It shows that Trenton and Mobley weren't just brought back to service the plot, but that they really meant something to Elliot.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

geeves posted:

It's both. The episode is a eulogy to Trenton and Mobley and definitely how you do characters, even if minor, justice in the narrative. It shows that Trenton and Mobley weren't just brought back to service the plot, but that they really meant something to Elliot.

Absolutely. I should have seen it a mile away, but finding out Trenton's brother was born in, well, Trenton, hit me hard. And I loved Elliot going season 1 hacker vigilante on Mobley's rear end in a top hat brother.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Oh my God! They played the ending song to Bill and Ted's excellent adventure near the end of the episode!

Robbie Rob - In Time

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 30, 2017

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This episode was really :unsmith:, great pick-me-up from last week's episode.

Also yeah I should have seen it coming but the reason behind Trenton's nickname hit me really hard

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Doctor Butts posted:

Oh my God! They played the ending song to Bill and Ted's excellent adventure near the end of the episode!

Robbie Rob - In Time

I noticed that too. How much more thick can they lay on "time travel" without time travel being a thing.

Edit: Elliot is Bill, Vera is Ted, Darlene and Angela are the princess babes and the key to fixing everything is now on Elliot's WorkSTATION!!!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I noticed that too. How much more thick can they lay on "time travel" without time travel being a thing.

Edit: Elliot is Bill, Vera is Ted, Darlene and Angela are the princess babes and the key to fixing everything is now on Elliot's WorkSTATION!!!

Well this was the show that pulled their fight club reveal with a pixies cover.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Esmail really nailed the “movie theater intro bumper” aesthetic at the beginning. That was straight up 90’s cinema.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

How is this a mixed feeling episode? The kid is totally another manifestation that'll crush Elliot when he realizes it was a way for him/Mr. Robot to avoid suicide. (The lesbian shoe scene + some of the self consciousness around gay manifesting in the lobby thanks to stereotype drug dealer.) He might've talked to Angela, but she's still seriously hosed up after doing something drat near unforgivable. And our once cleaned up hero has a big bag of morphine to get re addicted with. This is all just salt on the wound, made for worrying be Elliot going back to bad blackmail hacking habits.

ETA: STOP BEING OPTIMISTIC YOU FUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I like the scene where they just magically drop all of his poo poo off in front of his house.

• Locked thread