Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Whiterose’s bosses:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
With the amount of self actualization that took place tonight I could almost see this being the last season. Character arcs are definitely nearing their end, but there’s kind of a lot of plot left for just two more episodes. On the other hand, it’s hard to see how they’d pull off a more satisfying climax than episodes 5-7, which resolved 2.5 years worth of plot tension.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In the beginning scene did kid Elliott shush the empty seat next to him?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This show is SO GOOD

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, that's us. We were always his imaginary friend. That's why Mr. Robot knows about us.

Hey so how the gently caress does this really lead to undoing the hack?

Did they not full on delete data and the data's backup? How would understanding how the hack went down enable a way to undo the hack?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 30, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The original hack didn't delete the data, it locked it up and threw away the key, basically. If Romero actually had keyloggers on all the computers in the meeting place, you could go back through the logs and find the password to unlock everything.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

The original hack didn't delete the data, it locked it up and threw away the key, basically. If Romero actually had keyloggers on all the computers in the meeting place, you could go back through the logs and find the password to unlock everything.
I thought the encryption hack was a separate thing where they locked up the banks with the caveat that it was a ransom hack. Didn't realize they did an encryption hack twice...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't remember if the bank attack from s2 was exactly the same thing but yeah Elliot definitely said the key was set to auto-delete after finishing encrypting everything in s1.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So if that's true... why? Unless you plan on reversing the hack, which Mr. Robot very much didn't want to do and I'm fairly certain nobody else wanted to do either, isn't an rm -rf * going to be faster than an encrypt scheme?

I feel like I have to re-watch season 1 now... which isn't the worst thing to do, considering it's the best.

Also, just saying this because nobody else did: They went with a cinematic widescreen for this episode. For the most part, it worked, considering the weight of the episode, but I think would've worked better in the one-take episode.

Also also, did anyone else notice the camera do a weird thing both times Elliot was "shut out" by his dead friends' families? It kinda refocused the background, bending it a bit. Really super subtle way of making the viewer feel like something's off and I think really well done since it's one of the more original tricks Sam Esmail's played this season.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 30, 2017

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Where was Elliot's scar from the surgery, when he stripped off for that drug dealer?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I like the scene where they just magically drop all of his poo poo off in front of his house.

Like there hasn't been a good few "magical coincidences" already, not the least of which is Elliott managing to survive missing so much sleep without outright dropping dead.

And that latest was a good human episode with feels and a reminder that not EVERYONE is complete poo poo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also, it is SUCH a bloody treat to see someone like Sam really putting the mad craftsmanship into every drat scene. Not to say to everyone "Look at what an auteur I am!" but because it is what the story needs to be told properly.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I'm not crying, you're crying :smith:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mng posted:

I'm not crying, you're crying :smith:

NO! YOU'RE CRYING! :smith:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DaveKap posted:

Also also, did anyone else notice the camera do a weird thing both times Elliot was "shut out" by his dead friends' families? It kinda refocused the background, bending it a bit. Really super subtle way of making the viewer feel like something's off and I think really well done since it's one of the more original tricks Sam Esmail's played this season.

You may have just noticed the natural thing that happens when you pull focus on an anamorphic lens. The background does a weird compression thing. But idk what Mr Robot shoots with, maybe it was a visual effect.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I really love the soft apocalypse aesthetic of this show, nothing I've ever seen really presents a world like this so well. This episode was an especially good example of it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I did like the part where he walks out of the movie theatre and going "they didn't just do that, did they?" (See a movie about time travel, walk out and he time traveled himself)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DaveKap posted:

So if that's true... why? Unless you plan on reversing the hack, which Mr. Robot very much didn't want to do and I'm fairly certain nobody else wanted to do either, isn't an rm -rf * going to be faster than an encrypt scheme?

When you do “sudo rm -rf /“ (or you know, pressing delete) it doesn’t actually delete anything. It just changes the flag on those bits to say “it’s ok to write over me.” There’s a thing called “secure erase” or whatever that does the above and then overwrites that data immediately a few times with random garbage. This takes time, leaves a footprint, and probably interrupt able to some extent.

On the other hand, if you encrypt the drive (or it was already encrypted) then to anyone without access all they can see is random garbage, on the entire volume. If you were to delete the key then there’s no point in doing a secure erase because everything already looks like garbage anyway.

You know how iPhones have a option to “delete data after 10 wrong password tries” at the lock screen? It doesn’t actually delete any of the data, iOS just deletes the encryption key so everything is not recoverable.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

T-man posted:

How is this a mixed feeling episode? The kid is totally another manifestation that'll crush Elliot when he realizes it was a way for him/Mr. Robot to avoid suicide. (The lesbian shoe scene + some of the self consciousness around gay manifesting in the lobby thanks to stereotype drug dealer.) He might've talked to Angela, but she's still seriously hosed up after doing something drat near unforgivable. And our once cleaned up hero has a big bag of morphine to get re addicted with. This is all just salt on the wound, made for worrying be Elliot going back to bad blackmail hacking habits.

ETA: STOP BEING OPTIMISTIC YOU FUCKS

Everything went a little farkakte for a while, but in the end humans actually perservere

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Is there any word at all about renewing? This seems realistically like it could be the final season and I don't see anything to the contrary.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Golashes posted:

Is there any word at all about renewing? This seems realistically like it could be the final season and I don't see anything to the contrary.

When the show first launched, Esmail said he had at least 4 seasons plotted out.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

DaveKap posted:

Yeah, that's us. We were always his imaginary friend. That's why Mr. Robot knows about us.

I took that to be Mr. Robot in the theater next to him, as in Mr. Robot was with him from the very moment his dad died.

He took the jacket with him into the theater, and the jacket represents that persona in the rest of the episode.

E: Right now they operate as a split personality, but remember that in season 1 Elliot could talk to and interact with him.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Modus Pwnens posted:

I took that to be Mr. Robot in the theater next to him, as in Mr. Robot was with him from the very moment his dad died.

He took the jacket with him into the theater, and the jacket represents that persona in the rest of the episode.

E: Right now they operate as a split personality, but remember that in season 1 Elliot could talk to and interact with him.

I always figured Elliot jumped out the window himself, "pushed" by Mr. Robot, before he realized his dad and mr. robot werent the same thing. Like when he jumped into the water at the pier... But that would mean Mr. Robot was around before his dad died, right? So that can't be it.

Still wanna know wtf happened that day

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I thought for sure that kid wasn't real.

Still kinda do...

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

timp posted:

Still kinda do...

I kept having that feeling too.

And we still don’t know the truth about the window incident. Eliot won’t talk about the details of what happened and they’ve never shown it.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
The kid at the beginning was NOT young elliot, at least not played by the same actor that's played him in every other flashback to that time period.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

n.. posted:

The kid at the beginning was NOT young elliot, at least not played by the same actor that's played him in every other flashback to that time period.

How long has it been since we last saw young Elliott though? Kid actors age out of roles all the time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

SpaceAceJase posted:

Where was Elliot's scar from the surgery, when he stripped off for that drug dealer?

Yeah there has to be something to this. No scar from the gunshot?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

n.. posted:

yeah, I'm pretty sure he wasn't the same kid, but he looked a lot more like Rami than the original kid.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
yeah i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if 85% of that episode didn't actually happen.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

timp posted:

Still kinda do...

Thought that too. When we saw the family at the start it looked like they were packing up to leave and weren't coming back. And then later when Elliot went back to the house with the kid, it seemed pretty much abandoned. They wouldn't drive two hours away and leave their youngest child on his own, surely?

I definitely felt like parts of this episode were more dream-like than usual - stuff like the bizarre conversations at the cinema, "Doc" giving Elliot his flux capacitor to hold, the sci-fi rabbi driving an ice-cream van. I rather liked those little vignettes though, I think they were a bit of a necessity to stop the sadness getting too overwhelming, even if they didn't actually happen.

Maelstache fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 30, 2017

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Angela Darlene theories are dumb as hell but it's really weird none of the flashbacks have her in them. In the Angela one he tells her to look after Elliot but not Darlene. I don't think she's imaginary or anything but I'd buy that they're doing that sort of thing intentionally to throw you off

Or maybe there was an explanation for why Darlene wasn't around as a kid that I don't remember

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
They are like 4 years apart. Pretty huge at that age.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe Darlene pushed him out and as a 'gently caress you' he erased her from his existence? so they went like decades before he finally realized who she was again in season 1?

*hacks up bong hit*

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Gonz posted:

Whiterose’s bosses:

I need trump’s mug with his solar eclipse sunglasses photoshopped into the middle guy.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This episode was utterly incredible and I wish I could show it to strangers without a lot of context. I loved that Trenton and Mobley got a stronger memorial than more important characters in other stories would get. The marks that they left behind on the world saved Elliot's life, and might just save the world too.

Does anyone who's thought more about the subject have an idea about the higher than usual number of gay references in this episode? Not that they're alien to the show but they seem to pop up around crises in Elliot's life.

My own tinfoil theory for this week is that the Ice Cream Rabbi was a Dark Army plant. Whiterose seems to enjoy hiring especially idiosyncratic people, and clearly hasn't finished with Elliot's place in her design. She'd want to prevent Elliot from killing himself, and couldn't hand that off to Irving or Leon or anyone Elliot knows (as the principal architect of his misery).

bring back old gbs posted:

Maybe Darlene pushed him out and as a 'gently caress you' he erased her from his existence? so they went like decades before he finally realized who she was again in season 1?

We saw that they had a good relationship by Halloween 2014 in season 2, and she's mentioned he forgot her (and thus remembered her) before when we first figure it out.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mameluke posted:

My own tinfoil theory for this week is that the Ice Cream Rabbi was a Dark Army plant. Whiterose seems to enjoy hiring especially idiosyncratic people, and clearly hasn't finished with Elliot's place in her design. She'd want to prevent Elliot from killing himself, and couldn't hand that off to Irving or Leon or anyone Elliot knows (as the principal architect of his misery).
When he goes to jail, fine, we got someone to tail him and keep him safe until we free him. When he gets beat up by the Warden, whoops, couldn't save him from near death there. When he wanders into a building that's going to blow up in a few minutes, whoops again! What's that, Price, you want to know why I hosed your company up? You made me ask twice.

Nah, there's no way Whiterose is going that far for Elliot. Not without a completely as-of-yet-incomprehensible reasoning behind why/how he could almost-die a couple other times but this super subtle purchasing of a large quantity of Morphies triggered the "get the kid and the rabbi" scheme.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
This show's music game is on fire 24/7.

It's so loving good.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the kid was fake. I feel it would cheapen things if Elliot didn't actually give something to Trenton's family. And if we assume that Elliot has earned some level of surveillance from Whiterose, he spent the whole day up to Muhammad running away doing really suspicious poo poo and wrapping up his loose ends. It would beg her attention.

Elliot can handle himself most of the time. And he didn't run into any buildings that Whiterose planned to blow up.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The kid is certainly meant to feel fake -- the whole episode has a dreamlike quality from movie intro to the return of the jacket at the end. The audience is primed to think that every character could be a figment of Elliot's imagination, which Esmail clearly enjoys playing with. And by starting the episode with kid Elliott, you think that Trenton's brother might just be a version of kid Elliott that adult Elliott has created to deal with his guilt and subconsciously stop himself committing suicide. But the kid was real, and everything that happened was real, but all those dreamlike elements serve to make you feel as disturbed and alienated from the world as Elliott is feeling.

I think this is the first episode of the show I've really thought about how islamophobia plays a big part in the background of the show -- Mobley and Trenton picked as the terrorists by the Dark Army because they're Iranian, Elliott connecting with Trenton's dad and brother on a level I think he couldn't if he weren't Egyptian. And it exacerbates the threatening feel of the military presence as they walk home from the beach.

I missed Dom from this episode but Elliott taking the lollipop from Trenton's brother (did we get a name for him?) clearly says that they'll be working together soon so I'm excited for that.

Also I was surprised Trenton sent that email to Elliott and not Darlene since I got the feeling she knew Darlene a lot better than him, but maybe she "trusted" Elliott more after Darlene went off the rails a bit last season with the kidnapping and murder of that E-Corp woman and everything.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 1, 2017

• Locked thread