Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm not really familiar with the WON hall of fame, how serious business is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm not really familiar with the WON hall of fame, how serious business is it?

It's voted on by actual wrestling industry people and has rules for eligibility and categories and poo poo so it's kinda serious business but I really don't understand why anyone gets upset about it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The reasons to get upset are Dave understating his own influence with voters and some questionable people from the 1996 class that got in on Dave and basically a veterans committee vs. those who were excluded.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I've just started listening to Bruce Prichard's podcasts after listening to the Lapsed Fan's Montreal shows. I'm really enjoying them and find them entertaining, and Bruce isn't all bad but he appears to be something of a shill for Vince/HHH. His disregard for Dave Meltzer's work is a bit off putting. Should I be taking his word as gospel? He's very defensive during the steroids trial show and it made me question how reliable his recollections are.

It's nice to have on at work to be fair. Passes the time.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Conrad seems to like using Meltzer as a fall guy, instead of presenting his own opinions. Every Schiavone show is “Dave Meltzer says...” followed by Tony burying the star rating system, then Conrad awkwardly sitting on the fence.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The reasons to get upset are Dave understating his own influence with voters and some questionable people from the 1996 class that got in on Dave and basically a veterans committee vs. those who were excluded.

Also sometimes it feels like a "Hall of Very Good" not a Hall of Fame

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

britishbornandbread posted:

I've just started listening to Bruce Prichard's podcasts after listening to the Lapsed Fan's Montreal shows. I'm really enjoying them and find them entertaining, and Bruce isn't all bad but he appears to be something of a shill for Vince/HHH. His disregard for Dave Meltzer's work is a bit off putting. Should I be taking his word as gospel? He's very defensive during the steroids trial show and it made me question how reliable his recollections are.

It's nice to have on at work to be fair. Passes the time.

It’s not that hard to reconcile. Bruce feels Meltzer using plans change is often a cop out for being wrong, and he’s right, but at the same time plans do actual change.

So in a sense they’re both right, it just depends on the individual circumstances.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

52:15 is when the WOR stops talking about the hall of fame if you’re not that interested :tipshat:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What do you guys think about Morales as a HoFer? Seems a bit of a stretch to me based on what little I know but I don't pretend to have enough of a grasp on 1970's wrestling to really judge him

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Dave compared Yuji Nagata with Jun Akiyama as the same as both are borderline and never were quite there. I sincerely hope hes wrong in Nagata.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Tully and Arn got less votes than Edge thats just not right

They deserve less votes than Edge.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Thauros posted:

What do you guys think about Morales as a HoFer? Seems a bit of a stretch to me based on what little I know but I don't pretend to have enough of a grasp on 1970's wrestling to really judge him
Everyone who drew that much for that long in New York is in.
Somebody on the F4W frontpage made the case for him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

MassRafTer posted:

They deserve less votes than Edge.

nope

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's a dumb backdoor attempt to get guys in who had years to break 60% on their own. Edge is fine but his last run was not HOF stuff and I like the idea of Better Than Edge as the standard for Modern US more than I care if he gets in. Not coincidentally this standard puts an end to any consideration of Orton.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, if Jericho and Rey is in, Orton might as well be.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Except Rey did a lot for lucha libre in North America and worldwide and Jericho exists beyond the wrestling sphere. Orton did...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lid posted:

Except Rey did a lot for lucha libre in North America and worldwide and Jericho exists beyond the wrestling sphere. Orton did...

both (esp rey) were also far better workers in their prime and rey was a proven draw. jericho's kinda iffy himself imo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

I have high standards. :colbert:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thauros posted:

both (esp rey) were also far better workers in their prime and rey was a proven draw. jericho's kinda iffy himself imo

Jericho's, and Orton's for than matter, likely best chance to be a top draw was squashed by Hunter.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
It's 20 years on and people can still recall Jericho's WCW heel run, Y2J, first undisputed champion (lol), glitter jacket, scarves, the list...

Orton has...

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Lid posted:

Orton has...

intermittent explosive disorder

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lid posted:

It's 20 years on and people can still recall Jericho's WCW heel run, Y2J, first undisputed champion (lol), glitter jacket, scarves, the list...

Orton has...
his career-long feud with Table

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ramp Snake

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

There’s No Bell To Ring

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Randaconda posted:

I have high standards. :colbert:

Rey is literally one of the best workers in history.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

algebra testes posted:

Also sometimes it feels like a "Hall of Very Good" not a Hall of Fame

Yeah at this point Sting is in so you may as well put every good working WWE midcarder from this era in. Welcome to the Hall of Fame, Sheamus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lid posted:

Orton has...

Murdering Singh brothers

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Murdering Singh brothers

gently caress I knew I forgot something

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah at this point Sting is in so you may as well put every good working WWE midcarder from this era in. Welcome to the Hall of Fame, Sheamus.

Im sorry you didnt get Big Daddy in again

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

They were a team for a short run where Edge had a historically important and influential team, was a great worker and a decent draw.

Lid posted:

Orton has...

A really big successful run after Cena's injury in 2007.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tully and Arn is a blatant case of voters just going "oh Tully is cool, Arn is cool, guess I'll vote for them".

Edge stinks and Dave's hilarious attempts to influence the voting body to get him in are great.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the brainbusters have marginal cases individually, and as a tag team they have none

tenkoji being on the ballot together is also bizarre

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

Eh, if Jericho and Rey is in, Orton might as well be.

Rey is a much bigger star than Orton and frankly Jericho. Rey made WWE the #1 promotion in Mexico for about 5 years and let them do huge drawing house show tours there along with big ratings.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Rey is a much bigger star than Orton and frankly Jericho. Rey made WWE the #1 promotion in Mexico for about 5 years and let them do huge drawing house show tours there along with big ratings.

Rey was also the difference between Smackdown being a top show among Latinos and being average, iirc.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
AJ getting it makes me sad that Samoa Joe will never get in

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

just give Sting a goddamn moment Dave.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Orton and Edge feel like guys that had runs where they felt like HOFer's but it was long enough for them to get in. And for Orton he has too many moments where he was clearly not a HOF'er for him to get in.

Lucha needs a bunch of people going in and the Non-wrestler category shouldn't be taking spots from Wrestlers IMO

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Lucha needs a bunch of people going in and the Non-wrestler category shouldn't be taking spots from Wrestlers IMO

It doesn't.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Edge stinks and Dave's hilarious attempts to influence the voting body to get him in are great.

Agreed. That he'd want Edge to be in and not want someone like Goldberg is his clear bias for work rate over drawing power. Sting was way better and a bigger draw than Edge too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

Agreed. That he'd want Edge to be in and not want someone like Goldberg is his clear bias for work rate over drawing power. Sting was way better and a bigger draw than Edge too.

Edge was a bigger draw than Sting come the gently caress on. Goldberg was a draw for two six month periods in his career. Sting played to empty houses for 90% of his 25 year career. Edge drew consistently above average houses on a brand that had been in the toilet for big periods of the aughts.