Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
The way it sounds is that the whole games industry is set to just completely and utterly collapse under its own weight of cost and development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

IronSaber posted:

The way it sounds is that the whole games industry is set to just completely and utterly collapse under its own weight of cost and development.

This but the entirety of capitalism

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm a payday 2 whale, ama.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Discendo Vox posted:

How do we rate whale-ness when it comes to games with Steam marketplace integration, because I'm pretty sure UnknownMerc has you beat there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

John Murdoch posted:

How do we rate whale-ness when it comes to games with Steam marketplace integration, because I'm pretty sure UnknownMerc has you beat there.

OK yeah good point, forget I said anything, I'm a dwarf sperm, he's a blue.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Gearman posted:

The truth is that making games IS very hard. There is no formula, no blueprint, and no real guide on how things should be done.

Oh certainly! I'm well aware of how the sauce is made, and I'm well aware of the challanges. Making games is very hard, not just from a technical standpoint, but from an artistic standpoint as well every step of the way. My assertion is simply that instead of studios / publishers saying, 'our game could have been better', or 'we mis-allocated resources', they instead say, 'Margins are thinner because costs are rising'.

revolther
May 27, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Bungie were talking about wanting people playing around the release of new content and feeling free to take breaks in between with Destiny 2. It’s just an excuse because they hosed up on the amount of content available but it’s not impossible that they could be successful.

I bet a lot of developers would be glad to bring in money but cut back on server costs and content creation.

edit: World of Warcraft is notorious for letting the game rot for long periods of time between the release of the final raid and an upcoming expansion. People hate it but a lot of people keep subscribing during these dry months.
Isn't that a little different though, like WoW, there's a poo poo ton of content there and you know it's an on-going game, so there will be more down the pipeline. Wow is essentially a subscription service like HBO, there will be new poo poo to see every few months, but rabid fans will rewatch/replay everything till then.

But Destiny/Destiny 2 are single shots, there is no subscription service or promise of continued content, in fact you are promised the opposite 2-4 small bursts of additional content then buy another product. So really the only promise is that rabid fans will be replaying content over and over again to diminishing numbers; which sales seem to support.

Mother
Sep 30, 2004

You are help Orz with *parties*.

IronSaber posted:

The games business "collapses" a lot. It's just not 1983 anymore, so "collapse" doesn't have the same magnitude. Segments collapse. You're in the middle of several ongoing collapses right now.

If AAA goes pear-shaped, it'll have impact but a lot of devs and players will just drive on.

There's too much cash and potential here now for all of the big players to truly collapse. Collapse as in "go extinct", anyway. Things can get crappier for them, but that'll just alter behavior. They'll find a way. (A lot of people talk about this stuff and think only about the primarily North American names. There are plenty of others. Tencent is going to drink a lot of milkshake in the coming years.)

The truly big shifts in the business on the short to more distant horizon will probably be around things like net neutrality getting jacked, increased capability of AI in gameplay, AI-backed development (which could reverse the cost trend), the zillion solutions / improvements various people are working on for the visibility problem (possibly also AI-related), AR, solid anti-cheat, eventual platform standardization or dumb terminal streaming-style setups -- that kind of stuff.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Mother posted:

On the loot box / gambling / etc. topic from earlier (sorry I was off the grid for holiday) –
This whole post in general is fuckin great and is exactly the kind of thing which would get downvoted to oblivion on Reddit.

Discendo Vox posted:

Chains is the best heister. Fight me if you disagree

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GC_ChrisReeves posted:

Chains is the best heister. Fight me if you disagree

You mean Wolf

After school, by the flagpole.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Renegret posted:

You mean Wolf

After school, by the flagpole.

*speaks up nervously*

hoxton

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Behold, the death of AAA games:

The Nier: Automata Thread posted:

I wish it had a bigger budget, if only to make it look less like poo poo.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gearman posted:

The truth is that making games IS very hard. There is no formula, no blueprint, and no real guide on how things should be done. When you're making a tool, you know who's going to be using it, what it should do, and you can probably figure out how it should be built. When you're building something like a side quest you have wrangle with that terrible question of "Is it fun?".

Play VTM:Bloodlines and jot down stuff while playing

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ZiegeDame posted:

Thus begins the rise of AAAA games.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ZiegeDame posted:

honestly, I wouldn't really consider Nier Automata an AAA game? like I honestly don't think that "AAA games" as we define them really exist in the Japanese industry, especially now that Konami's dead and Capcom is barely hanging on; the closest you get is stuff like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, and those are massive weird outliers, not anywhere near the norm

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

It's almost like AAA is a vague and arbitrary term.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AAA is one of those terms that's only confusing if you think about it too hard, meanwhile if someone just showed you a slideshow of big budget vs. indie games anybody would be able to understand it implicitly.

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

I'm curious as what devs think of the whole 'games as service' mantra that's been coming from a certain quarter?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, I wouldn't really consider Nier Automata an AAA game? like I honestly don't think that "AAA games" as we define them really exist in the Japanese industry, especially now that Konami's dead and Capcom is barely hanging on; the closest you get is stuff like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, and those are massive weird outliers, not anywhere near the norm

From the man who made Nier: Automata himself.

Yoko Taro posted:

“I think what’s happening at the moment in the Western video game industry is that there’s very much this polarization into the big triple-A games and also the indies, and there’s very little in the middle to fill that space. What’s happening is Japan is you’ve got a lot of games that maybe aim for triple-A but don’t quite make it there, and they actually come into that gap. So when these then go to Europe and America, they’re actually filling in that gap and they fit in really well in that niche market, and I think that’s why we’re seeing a lot of success with Japanese games at the moment.”

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah I was going to say Nier is more of an A or AA game, if that makes sense (similar ambitions to an AAA game, but made for cheaper), and what Taro said is basically the same sentiment in smart-person terms

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Yeah exactly. Valkyria Chronicles 4 if it turns out to be the return to VC1 greatness it is shaping up to be, not only will it rock my world completely, that's likely going to be a blockbuster in japan, unlikely it will that ever register on the scale of Call of Duty or an Assasin's Creed outside of japan but it will still do well. Plus success in a home market means a huge game for japan isn't company-crushing if it bombs in the US.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah I was going to say Nier is more of an A or AA game, if that makes sense (similar ambitions to an AAA game, but made for cheaper), and what Taro said is basically the same sentiment in smart-person terms

Nier Automata would've been AAA in 2005. Now, games like Destiny, Red Dead Redemption, and Assassin's Creed have massive budgets and require over a thousand people to develop them. Something more middle of the road, such as the new Wolfenstein games, still have hundreds of people working on the game and a budget well into the tens of millions.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

When I worked at a game streaming startup we attempted to popularize calling this market segment "midcore". Something between hardcore and casual, or AAA and indie. It...didn't catch on.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mother posted:

The cost to make a AAA game will continue to rise, so AAA will have to find a way to keep the wheels on.
Why is this? It feels like most other software is getting cheaper to make due to commoditized infrastructure, more capable tooling, and reusing common components.

The scope of AAA games has certainly increased as hardware has gotten better and more and more people get thrown at exploiting it (new engines and even more detailed models), but I'm not sure we can expect that trend to keep outpacing software in general.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

General software and video games are VASTLY different in most aspects. I'm sure there's a ceiling at some point, but nothing suggests that we're approaching it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think people tend to treat the games they like as the perfect example of what a game's budget should be.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mutata posted:

General software and video games are VASTLY different in most aspects. I'm sure there's a ceiling at some point, but nothing suggests that we're approaching it.

On the engineering/client side, they’re not that different than any other simulation. Server side is similar to other server problems.

It’s not a CRUD database app, but there are non-games problems that do all the same things. Biggest difference is that frame rate matters for the client, so the specific algorithms (and fidelity) are different.

ShadowHawk posted:

Why is this? It feels like most other software is getting cheaper to make due to commoditized infrastructure, more capable tooling, and reusing common components.

The scope of AAA games has certainly increased as hardware has gotten better and more and more people get thrown at exploiting it (new engines and even more detailed models), but I'm not sure we can expect that trend to keep outpacing software in general.

Content is expensive, and the cost won’t stop increasing until the quality bar stops rising.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

I think a big part of it is where "AAA" games get made. Most of the talent pool and most of the publishers are concentrated in Seattle, the Bay Area, and southern California. The cost of living is overinflated in all of those markets, so even if you're making what would be a low to average salary in one of those areas (let's say $65-70k) that's an overhead cost of close to $100k for the employer when you factor in costs to them (benefits, taxes, insurance, rent, etc.) And that's the *lower* end of salaries.

Put together a team of 80-100 people for a couple of years and you start to get an idea of why it costs relatively more than it has in the past.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'll be the first to point the finger at my own industry and say that the hub system is played out and does immense harm to employees and absolutely needs to change. It's a big, big reason why game industry workers burnout and leave so quickly. It's hard though. For example, there are only a couple devs left here in Salt Lake City, and they have trouble hiring out of state candidates because there's no where else to jump to if things go south. If you get laid off, that means you're rebooting your career or moving. It's really hard to spin up a studio in general these days: if you start in a hub you have to compete with the big boys in town, and if you start in a cheaper place, you can't get people to come to you.

One of my pie-in-the-sky dreams is to start a mostly remote-worker studio where most employees can live where ever they want. That brings plenty of its own challenges, but keeping workers and keeping them happy is a huge drain in a lot of places, especially if you aren't one of the "It prints money" AAA studios.

mutata fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 12, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

leper khan posted:

Content is expensive, and the cost won’t stop increasing until the quality bar stops rising.

this type of received-wisdom logic is why i think Bushamori has been the most insightful poster itt. it's very easy to point to terrible market research that claims "um but content graphics polygons content gamers pixels content" but i don't see any justification for why this garbage research (which imo the researchers should be ashamed that they made) necessarily defines the only possible set of economic concerns that exist in the making of games

maxmandude
Apr 16, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this type of received-wisdom logic is why i think Bushamori has been the most insightful poster itt. it's very easy to point to terrible market research that claims "um but content graphics polygons content gamers pixels content" but i don't see any justification for why this garbage research (which imo the researchers should be ashamed that they made) necessarily defines the only possible set of economic concerns that exist in the making of games

Can you actually point to why it's terrible research or do you just agree with him because you both have the same values and arguments? Because even a cursory look at the market kinda bears the research out.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Bushamori hasn't posted anything insightful, he's just been asking questions looking to validate his point of view. Which is cool, questions is what this thread is for.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It doesn't, it just defines a very important one when making multi-million dollar AAA games. I mean, you can disagree with the research all you like, but if I had to choose between professionally collected research, and some guy on the internet who hasn't actually managed to raise a counterpoint beyond "it's garbage", I'm gonna side with the research.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This isn't a question. It's also incredibly ignorant of a billion dollar industry that has existed long before video games were even a thing.

If you'd like to sample the very tip of the iceberg you're free to do so here: http://www.euromonitor.com/video-games

Prices range from $570 to $1325 for each report.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I recently participated in a student game showcase through a game design course at my school: basically a bunch of people from various companies in the games industry came to judge, give out some swag to a few winners, and hang out. My team's game ended up winning awards from some of the companies, one of which came with an offer for a fast-track interview for whichever (intern) positions at the company I'm most interested in. I previously didn't really think of game design as something I could actually break into professionally, even for an internship - my major is in Social Science, and although I do have some experience with Unity/C# (what I made the game in) as well as some basic knowledge of C++ most of my actual projects/skills are pretty much related to stats/'data science'.

I'm definitely going to follow up with the company that offered the interview. I'm in the Bay Area, so presumably they're flush with more qualified CS people applying for the more technical positions. I would like to do something at least related to game design there, but I'm not sure what else that would look like. 'Game design intern' feels a bit nebulous, are there more specific roles that I should ask about?

I'd also like to try applying more widely for game dev internships in the area to at least give it a shot. My current plan is to polish up my portfolio some, reach out to people that I met during the course, and just generally apply for internships at nearby companies. Is there anything in particular that I should consider when looking at positions/anything in particular I should keep in mind going into the application process?

Sorry for the kind of vague questions, I hadn't considered game dev as a possibility prior to this so I'm not totally sure where to start. I'd appreciate any perspectives on what y'all look for in applicants/any advice you'd give for someone just starting out.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

foutre posted:

I previously didn't really think of game design as something I could actually break into professionally, even for an internship - my major is in Social Science, and although I do have some experience with Unity/C# (what I made the game in) as well as some basic knowledge of C++ most of my actual projects/skills are pretty much related to stats/'data science'.

A few positions that might be up your alley and are in pretty high demand now and in the near future: data scientist, data analyst, and data engineer. There are also general design positions that rely on looking at large amounts of user rest data for balancing, tuning, and general player behavior.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular
I don't think it's necessary to assume that the direction that publishers have been moving in is inherently correct or data-driven, even though they are all doing it. You may remember when the entire industry lost a shitload of money deciding it was time to make MMOs when WoW made bank, or time to make MOBAs when LoL made bank. One problem with pointing to research is that the counterfactuals don't exist - because most companies tend to work off of the same playbook, it's hard to point to the publisher that isn't following it and how successful they were or weren't.

Ultimately, it's not really even a relevant argument to have unless you run a publisher or an indie developer. If you want to work on AAA, you work under the conditions of AAA at the time, which you don't get to dictate and which may or may not be dictated by logic, data or sanity. Thankfully, with indie gaming taking off over the past several years, at least we now get to play things outside of what AAA deems viable!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

djkillingspree posted:

I don't think it's necessary to assume that the direction that publishers have been moving in is inherently correct or data-driven, even though they are all doing it. You may remember when the entire industry lost a shitload of money deciding it was time to make MMOs when WoW made bank, or time to make MOBAs when LoL made bank. One problem with pointing to research is that the counterfactuals don't exist - because most companies tend to work off of the same playbook, it's hard to point to the publisher that isn't following it and how successful they were or weren't.

This was also my thinking.

We could take Apple as an example. This is just an assumption, but I am willing to bet that they spend many millions of dollars on research. Then they do something like release a phone without a traditional headphone jack. Or Microsoft tries to release the DRM machine which was the original Bone. In my simple type of thinking this leads me to one of two conclusions, or perhaps a combination of both:

1: Market research is not as accurate as is claimed
2: Market research is ultimately overruled by the opinions of those at the top

This does not inspire confidence in the process, though I'm likely missing something.

Granted, as long as it does not necessitate the use of manipulative practices such as taking advantage of addiction then I am fine with companies loving their own poo poo up, that's on them.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 13, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Sure, but the problem is you guys aren't actually providing much in the way of counter arguments. It's all very well to say things like "You can't prove the data is correct" and "Companies have made mistakes in the past", in fact it's perfectly valid, but what is your evidence that this data in particular is wrong?

I'm not trying to say that you guys are necessarily wrong, or that we're necessarily right, I'm just saying that you guys need to provide your own arguments because it feels all you're doing is attacking ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Perhaps it's time to leave this topic for the time being? Seems we're getting stuck in a roundabout here.

foutre posted:

I recently participated in a student game showcase through a game design course at my school: basically a bunch of people from various companies in the games industry came to judge, give out some swag to a few winners, and hang out. My team's game ended up winning awards from some of the companies, one of which came with an offer for a fast-track interview for whichever (intern) positions at the company I'm most interested in. I previously didn't really think of game design as something I could actually break into professionally, even for an internship - my major is in Social Science, and although I do have some experience with Unity/C# (what I made the game in) as well as some basic knowledge of C++ most of my actual projects/skills are pretty much related to stats/'data science'.

I'm definitely going to follow up with the company that offered the interview. I'm in the Bay Area, so presumably they're flush with more qualified CS people applying for the more technical positions. I would like to do something at least related to game design there, but I'm not sure what else that would look like. 'Game design intern' feels a bit nebulous, are there more specific roles that I should ask about?

I'd also like to try applying more widely for game dev internships in the area to at least give it a shot. My current plan is to polish up my portfolio some, reach out to people that I met during the course, and just generally apply for internships at nearby companies. Is there anything in particular that I should consider when looking at positions/anything in particular I should keep in mind going into the application process?

Sorry for the kind of vague questions, I hadn't considered game dev as a possibility prior to this so I'm not totally sure where to start. I'd appreciate any perspectives on what y'all look for in applicants/any advice you'd give for someone just starting out.

You should ask this in the Games Jobs thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662&pagenumber=601&perpage=40 You may get more info there since there are a lot of folks in there who don't post in here. :)