Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Eurogamer has a review up

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-30-xenoblade-chronicles-2-review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I thought this was released tomorrow. I've heard of some stores selling the day before, will chains do this or is it typically local mom and pop shops?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Corte posted:

I thought this was released tomorrow. I've heard of some stores selling the day before, will chains do this or is it typically local mom and pop shops?

Australians

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Corte posted:

Walmart, Gamestop, Target etc.'s systems absolutely won't allow the game to be sold before its proper release. Toys R Us had been known in the past to release stuff early all the time but I don't know if that's still the case.

It's usually independent shops.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So from what I am reading: Basically good game with absolutely horrible, immersion breaking English dub.

And from what I have seen in videos the dub is about as bad as it gets.

Subs and Japanese for me, I guess.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gamespot 7/10 review: " Once again, the stout and furry Nopon creatures are an annoyance on par with Jar Jar Binks" uhhhhh there were actual jar jar binks aliens in XCX that were really bad. how dare you poo poo on Nopons

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I heard in the Japanese track they're just saying "You don't even know what we're saying you American swine" in different cadences.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I heard in the Japanese track they're just saying "You don't even know what we're saying you American swine" in different cadences.
there;'s a japanese song that is literally an entire joke about that, and it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3V9SJG8Zs

the chorus is him rapping in english and then going 'you don't really know what I'm saying, right?' in japanese

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Waltzing Along posted:

So from what I am reading: Basically good game with absolutely horrible, immersion breaking English dub.

And from what I have seen in videos the dub is about as bad as it gets.

Subs and Japanese for me, I guess.

Pretty much, with the things holding it back being an incredibly cliche' story and an inability to stay focused in the back half.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also poorly done tutorials/explanations that are only on screen once and then gone. That makes no sense.
"make sure you screenshot the tutorials"
wow

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Jeremy Parish over at Polygon (lol) really seems to like it. Says it's the best game with Xeno in it's name by far.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/30/16712882/xenoblade-chronicles-2-review

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, feels like this is very similar to XC1, if you liked that you will like this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lodin posted:

Jeremy Parish over at Polygon (lol) really seems to like it. Says it's the best game with Xeno in it's name by far.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/30/16712882/xenoblade-chronicles-2-review

"this review is only for the first half of the game."

Pussy boi didn't even finish playing the game before submitting a fake news review. Sad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

"this review is only for the first half of the game."

Pussy boi didn't even finish playing the game before submitting a fake news review. Sad.

it literally opens with a disclaimer saying it's a review in progress and it doesnt have a score yet

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Endorph posted:

it literally opens with a disclaimer saying it's a review in progress

Yeah, it's in my quote.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, it's in my quote.

oh, so you're a moron

edit: nice rap sheet

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DLC Inc posted:

gamespot 7/10 review: " Once again, the stout and furry Nopon creatures are an annoyance on par with Jar Jar Binks" uhhhhh there were actual jar jar binks aliens in XCX that were really bad. how dare you poo poo on Nopons
Like Riki and the nopon in general are amazing and Tatsu was the loving worst but the other nopons in xcx were incredible so this reviewer is a dunce

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

Like Riki and the nopon in general are amazing and Tatsu was the loving worst but the other nopons in xcx were incredible so this reviewer is a dunce

Tatsu was good, the issue in XCX was Lyn and the 'hilarious' gags about eating him every 30 seconds. :effort:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
lmao at people who don't understand that this will in fact be in the same world as the previous two games for extremely obscure and obtuse reasons

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tastu can tasteu my balls, and I say that as someone who liked xcx. What a little turd

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zore posted:

Tatsu was good, the issue in XCX was Lyn and the 'hilarious' gags about eating him every 30 seconds. :effort:

My problem also was that he didn't have an interesting background
He was just an alien the aliens captured to eat and sure he's also the oldest brother of a family of so many tasked with providing for them but it's not as good as a deadbeat dad up to his eyes in debt chosen by a raffle to be that year's heropon

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also the dub really should've changed his name to Tots as it was obvious it should've been

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Also poorly done tutorials/explanations that are only on screen once and then gone. That makes no sense.
"make sure you screenshot the tutorials"
wow

They don't keep them in a menu like in XC? That's weird.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
IGN review is out. Overall seems great with some minor complaints about needing a specific blade skill to break down a path barrier at a few points in the game. Normally this just opens up side paths to items, but it stopped their story progression for an hour at one point to unlock what was needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39yAjRk6S_8

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Not watching an entire youtube review, can someone warn me specifically what skill I have to grind up to what level in case I don't do it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Genuinely surprised that Kosmos wasn't the Blade they're selling through DLC.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

They don't keep them in a menu like in XC? That's weird.

Yeah I heard the easy allies guy complaining about the same thing, it's kinda bizarre.

Game sounds like it turned out good overall anyway. Anyone (or reviews) actually liking the English dub so far or everyone just beelining for JP as fast as possible?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Not watching an entire youtube review, can someone warn me specifically what skill I have to grind up to what level in case I don't do it.

Anime tolerance zeta skill.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I heard the easy allies guy complaining about the same thing, it's kinda bizarre.

Game sounds like it turned out good overall anyway. Anyone (or reviews) actually liking the English dub so far or everyone just beelining for JP as fast as possible?

IGN thought the English was great, but there was one scene where the audio desynced so it was 5-seconds late or something like that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The nice thing about the English dub is that you can immediately ignore anyone who says they like it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GameSpot posted:

But rare Blades have unique designs, their own side quests, and a larger selection of skills and stat bonuses than common Blades. It's easy enough over time to fill out your party with rares, but opening Core Crystals becomes less attractive as diminishing returns set in. Opening 50 towards the end of the game yielded zero rare Blades, despite having unlocked only half of the rare roster.

I get that this is kind of a genre staple but I hate this poo poo. I guess it's to encourage replayability? But I'm 30, my days of replaying JRPG's are long behind me.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
just thought of it, but I'd rather have shulk as a secret boss rather than a blade if he has to be in

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So the Polygon review says that this game invokes Skies of Arcadia and DQ9, I think that's good enough for me.

Though he did say a lot of gratuitous blades were too grotesque to be considered sexy, which seems like he might not fully get a lot of the people who play these games.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 30, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can I get some soundtrack opinions please.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The IGN review reminded me that heart to hearts exist, any indication that those are less insane to unlock? In Xenoblade Chronicles I never came across one that I was able to use at the time, and backtracking to find them after building affinity was a pain because the game didn't adequately track/label them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Another thing I saw in one of the reviews is most of the blades are random and there really isn't any way to get them all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Another thing I saw in one of the reviews is most of the blades are random and there really isn't any way to get them all.
yeah, that's the point of the system. probably both to encourage replays and to have people chatting about what stuff they got/how they used it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

The IGN review reminded me that heart to hearts exist, any indication that those are less insane to unlock? In Xenoblade Chronicles I never came across one that I was able to use at the time, and backtracking to find them after building affinity was a pain because the game didn't adequately track/label them.

They were a lot less tedious to grind in XCX.

Waltzing Along posted:

There's a set of randomly-generated "common" ones, the Rare ones are from a pool of 30 (the ones they've been showing off) and are drawn from their own separate Core Crystal so you're not stuck smashing away at that button hoping this diceroll will be one of the cool fancy ones.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Reminds me of Valkyrie Profile 2 in which you couldn't get all the warriors in one playthrough. Which sucked because some were WAAAAY better than the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

Reminds me of Valkyrie Profile 2 in which you couldn't get all the warriors in one playthrough. Which sucked because some were WAAAAY better than the alternative.

Or Crono Cross which had like 50 playable characters, with some being mutually exclusive or only obtainable at certain times.