Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Another memorable quote.

Star Citizen: Cheap and Easy.

$170mil later still no game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Just as long as we're on the same page about which version is the proper version

:kiss:
I saw them in concert a few years ago, and they were every bit as absurd and incredible as I had hoped. Three Finnish cellists sitting in giant stainless steel thrones (featuring backrests in the shape of skulls/cellos), madly headbanging while playing Metallica covers and "Hall of the Mountain King". In the audience, metal fans madly cheering these classically-trained musicians, interspersed with a few chamber music fans who were slowly realizing that they might have misunderstood the nature of the show.

In a year that saw Donald "Dementia" Trump become president and Chris Roberts sell JPEGs of actual (virtual) dirt for $50-$100, it's good to remember that this universe also, rarely, produces something as dumbly awesome as Apocalyptica. It doesn't explain why most of existence is utter bullshit, but it does make it a little more bearable.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Goredema posted:

:kiss:
I saw them in concert a few years ago, and they were every bit as absurd and incredible as I had hoped. Three Finnish cellists sitting in giant stainless steel thrones (featuring backrests in the shape of skulls/cellos), madly headbanging while playing Metallica covers and "Hall of the Mountain King". In the audience, metal fans madly cheering these classically-trained musicians, interspersed with a few chamber music fans who were slowly realizing that they might have misunderstood the nature of the show.

In a year that saw Donald "Dementia" Trump become president and Chris Roberts sell JPEGs of actual (virtual) dirt for $50-$100, it's good to remember that this universe also, rarely, produces something as dumbly awesome as Apocalyptica. It doesn't explain why most of existence is utter bullshit, but it does make it a little more bearable.

I saw them when they were opening for Rammstien about ten years ago! They were good.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

I saw them when they were opening for Rammstien about ten years ago!

That was an awesome Rammstein tour! Rammstein opening bands are awesome most of the time . Got introduced to Combichrist that way, as well as Apocalyptica of course. And that one band I forgot that went on stage like packaged super hero toys. I wasn't that impressed by them (thus forgot their name), but the idea of how they got on stage was awesome....like three "mind in box" superhero figures, which then were "unwrapped".

E: seeing that dude live was awesome...both the left and the right drummer (of the trhee) were loving insane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9moD1dWd_VU

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 30, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I adore their cover of Nothing Else Matters.

Man they've been around forever and a day. Bless them. The concept doesn't always pay out but when it does it pays out big. Regardless of how well their work translates they're just so delightfully weird and cool.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tuo posted:

That was an awesome Rammstein tour! Rammstein opening bands are awesome most of the time . Got introduced to Combichrist that way, as well as Apocalyptica of course. And that one band I forgot that went on stage like packaged super hero toys. I wasn't that impressed by them (thus forgot their name), but the idea of how they got on stage was awesome....like three "mind in box" superhero figures, which then were "unwrapped".

E: seeing that dude live was awesome...both the left and the right drummer (of the trhee) were loving insane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9moD1dWd_VU

I'm not saying you had to be metal to work on the audio team here at Codies (back in the day) but it did help...

See 1:15 for our stupid "band" photo - I'm the idiot with the swords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxQ4Cd-_RNw

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

thatguy posted:

SELLING NEW SUPER MINING SHIP WITH MINERAL RADAR THAT GOES A MILE DEEPER THAN ANY OTHER SHIP COMES WITH FREE CLAIM BEACON

They'll archer a driller from another franchise, of course...

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 30, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

1 jpg = 1 jpg

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Insomnia cure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcBKmLFAm0

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

..like three "mind in box" superhero figures, which then were "unwrapped".

Spinal Tap?

(I joke, I joke)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Spinal Tap?

(I joke, I joke)

Remember, we turned it up to 12 in this thread.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

The Titanic posted:

Has CIG ever done something nice for the sake of being nice? Maybe I’m wrong but they seem to only be nice in ways that let people spend money.

Posting from ~9 pages back, but there was the time they gave all their backers a "war bond" worth exactly one thin US dime.

(If someone has said this I'll post up some catte tax when I come across it)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Remember, we turned it up to 12 in this thread.

Other threads go to 10 and they have no place to go after that. Some places might actually go to 11, but they're still base amateurs compared with our glory.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

I'm not saying you had to be metal to work on the audio team here at Codies (back in the day) but it did help...

See 1:15 for our stupid "band" photo - I'm the idiot with the swords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxQ4Cd-_RNw

That's drat cool. Also saw that picture with you forging a sword or whatever it was (I have no clue about smith-stuff)....allthough I am more of an industrial kind of person (Nine Inch Nails etc.), metal guys are usually among the coolest people you can meet!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hav posted:

Spinal Tap?

(I joke, I joke)

nah, it was some bavarian metal band...cool, but not as cool as some other rammstein vorbands I had the pleasure to enjoy

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

tuo posted:

That was an awesome Rammstein tour! Rammstein opening bands are awesome most of the time . Got introduced to Combichrist that way

Did you know, the vocalist from Combichrist (Andy LaPlegua) was the composer on Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Other threads go to 10 and they have no place to go after that. Some places might actually go to 11, but they're still base amateurs compared with our glory.

It really is an amalgamation of our collective thoughts, CIG's buffoonery and our Dear Leader Warlord discourses. We can go to 13, but at that point the Stimperor would need to step in.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mu77ley posted:

Did you know, the vocalist from Combichrist (Andy LaPlegua) was the composer on Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Seriously? No wonder that game's sound design kicked rear end. I also loved NINs work on Quake and the work they did for Doom 3 (which had to be removed, sadly, but of course is out there...)

Combichrist is such an awesome band. LaPlegua also married the ex-girlfriend of Rammstein frontman Til Lindemann, who by the way was the best man for his own ex-wife when Rammstein's guitar guy Richard Krupse married her. How hosed up is that?

Oh, and Doom VFR; my body is ready

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

tuo posted:

Seriously? No wonder that game's sound design kicked rear end.

Yeah, they covered it in a dev video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSkbpxaE21c

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

Combichrist is such an awesome band. LaPlegua also married the ex-girlfriend of Rammstein frontman Til Lindemann, who by the way was the best man for his own ex-wife when Rammstein's guitar guy Richard Krupse married her. How hosed up is that?

Rammstein were always immense fun, although I walked away from metal when it went 'nu' and keep banging on how everything turned poo poo when Dio died.

Then there's the single most important metal band in the history of the world; MAN'O'WAR

Other bands may aspire, but there is only one MAN'O'WAR.

It's okay to feel a little intimidated. They rock harder than you.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 30, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

:hfive:

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ah but in the Chris Roberts letter to the fandom at the start of this whole shindig he promised to treat YOU, THE CUSTOMER as the publisher and also to release their financials should they go past a certain timeframe which was reach a long time ago.

But, he actually IS treating the CUSTOMERS like the PUBLISHER.

His last publisher was Microsoft: whom he cheated, misled, funneled money to his close friends, lied about the projects and the real state they were in, and made a million promises that never materialized.

So, essentially Chris is totally in the clear here. Star Citizen is right on target. Star citizen is good.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello

quote:

The costs come in for the servers, the projected costs, if we do go ahead and release into beta next year [2018]. I don't know specifics but I know it's a lot. There's been some ask for how we continue to pay for that upkeep since the original deal fell through.
I wasn't exactly sure what they were talking about but no further discussion happened about that

quote:

Most of us feel subscription costs are the only way. There's no possible other way to keep the lights on here. I know a lot of our backers will be upset but, again, that's the nature of game development. Things change. Plans change. How can we cover support for a live game that requires hardware and software solutions still being developed? When the multiplayer blocks are still being built? There's no other way, at least none that I can see.
free-to-play players
  • can access the game
  • cannot own shops / outposts / land / stations
  • cannot own ships or pilot ships
  • can crew for others / take on specific ftp missions with friends or others
  • have a total credit cap earned weekly
  • total credit cap
  • cannot craft items
  • cannot sell on the marketplace
  • no storyline content is available for f2p tier
citizen tier or citizenship
  • full access to the complete experience
  • can own buildings / shops / outposts / land /stations
  • has standard entry on markets and customer service queues
  • can create items
  • can sell on the marketplace
  • can see storyline content in SC
premium or commander tier
  • same as citizenship
  • has priority access on market lists (show up first)
  • priority access on CS queues
  • can ask developers in game about upcoming features
  • has additional storyline content via updates
  • priority choice of base (??)
additional higher tier called internally as royalty
  • invite only by dev choice
  • all content available
  • priority across the board
  • special irl and in game dinners and mixers with devs and staff
  • special promo skins
  • special bases / homes / outposts

quote:

Prices are being still being discussed.
  • f2p
  • $14.99
  • $39.99
  • $249.99

quote:

Additionally, the more accounts you have with a certain level of status grant bonuses to credit production (?? no elaboration here) and your mission queue (?? or here).

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hav posted:

It's okay to feel a little intimidated. They rock harder than you.

I'd love to be a warrior of the world! Playing 40k tabletop games with man'o'war blarring in the background was basically my youth when I was not playing icehockey or coding stuff...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

hello

I wasn't exactly sure what they were talking about but no further discussion happened about that

free-to-play players
  • can access the game
  • total credit cap
  • cannot craft items
  • can create items
  • same as citizenship
  • all content available
  • special promo skins

• f2p
  • $14.99
  • $39.99
  • $249.99

please go f2p, CIG, please, JUST DO IT

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

tuo posted:

I'd love to be a warrior of the world! Playing 40k tabletop games with man'o'war blarring in the background was basically my youth when I was not playing icehockey or coding stuff...

Are you me? Because that sounds like me in the 90s.

Yikes, I'm old.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Slow_Moe posted:

Are you me? Because that sounds like me in the 90s.

Yikes, I'm old.

Possibly. Let's rub. (I'm a goalie though, so as people tend to say I'm a bit "special"....)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Codezombie posted:

I saw them when they were opening for Rammstien about ten years ago! They were good.

Ramstein concert left me with 2 weeks of ringing ears. Worth it

Also metal goons, come to WOA once and crash down at my place for a beer I live very close to it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

Most of us feel subscription costs are the only way.

*cums*

if NN really goes against the wall, even their estimates will be off, and they're talking about fcking subscriptions. Why the gently caress aren't they coupling this with their ingame currnecy? Eve showed that path years ago to kill the currency market and it stimulated a whole different gameplay mechanism around the plex market.

The answer, of course, is normalized deviance. Who is speaking truth to power? Who is the devil's advocate? Who is telling them that they need their backers more than ever to get them through to post-release? Nobody!

It's a cult of personality where anyone who doesn't tow the line is sidelined because they don't understand the (rapidly evolving) vision.

Guessing the real redline is when people start sleeping under their desks.

TheAgent posted:

f2p
$14.99
$39.99
$249.99

_Monthly_?

That last one is car payment money.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 30, 2017

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

TheAgent posted:

hello

free-to-play players
  • can access the game
  • total credit cap
  • cannot craft items
  • can create items
  • same as citizenship
  • all content available
  • special promo skins

• f2p
  • $14.99
  • $39.99
  • $249.99

:pray: please oh please :pray:

Convoluted, restrictive subscription model MY BODY IS READY

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

TheAgent posted:

hello

free-to-play players
  • can access the game
  • total credit cap
  • cannot craft items
  • can create items
  • same as citizenship
  • all content available
  • special promo skins

• f2p
  • $14.99
  • $39.99
  • $249.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h44h6BjxdY

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Ramstein concert left me with 2 weeks of ringing ears. Worth it

Also metal goons, come to WOA once and crash down at my place for a beer I live very close to it.

GOD drat! I'm at WOA since years....it's goons everywhere :D

e: though I have to admit I never was at a Ramstein concert....joined the club much later when they switched to the double "mm" after the controversy....spent most of my earlier time at Einstürzende Neubauten and Deine Lakaien concerts before going to harder stuff

tuo fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 30, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Just as long as we're on the same page about which version is the proper version

So not that one?

Few remakes are better than the original. Like Johnny Cash's remake of Hurt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc , most, like the one above, are inferior in every way.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

TheAgent posted:

• f2p
  • $14.99
  • $39.99
  • $249.99

Tier names:
  • Goon
  • Fandred
  • Wesha
  • Miku

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

And the dance begins again.

Citizens I look forward to your complete denials, then sidelong glances at the possibility that this might be right, then excitement over lore posts fantasizing about the tiers, then dawning realization that oh poo poo this is exactly what they're doing and wow the optics on this look bad, and finally your angry insistence that shut UP this was ALWAYS going to be a f2p + subscription game.

Please enjoy paying $15/month so you can use your $850 ship to build on your $100 plot of land. Because really you just haven't given CIG enough money yet.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

TheAgent posted:

hello

free-to-play players
Chris: "OK guys we need to brainstorm
free-to-play players can:
errm, log on
ehh, umm, mop"
Ben: "restock vending machine!"
Lando: work the loading dock!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Abuminable posted:

VC, why did you touch the poop?

trucutru posted:

He who slains MoMA or touches his poop is forever doomed to become MoMA. You're now toast.

Abuminable posted:

Kramjacks posted:

VC is the kind of person who would jump on a grenade to save their squad.
But this is like going to the munitions locker, getting a grenade, pulling the pin, and jumping on it to save the squad.

Consider this my meltdown post:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Is Ben free-to-play at CIG, or do they still pay him actual money?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheAgent posted:

• f2p
  • $14.99
  • $39.99
  • $249.99

So are people who have bought ships but don't have a subscription now relegated to F2P tier and can't fly the ships they own? Because :laffo::laffo::laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

tuo posted:

GOD drat! I'm at WOA since years....it's goons everywhere :D

e: though I have to admit I never was at a Ramstein concert....joined the club much later when they switched to the double "mm" after the controversy....spent most of my earlier time at Einstürzende Neubauten and Deine Lakaien concerts before going to harder stuff

Ahh sorry my phone auto corrected that. I saw them I think... 3 times? Reise Reise, best of Tour (which was absolutely kick rear end) and at WOA where I was way too drunk to remember the details.

Also :laffo: if we are practically neighbors on the global scale of the thread posters.