Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Meat is murder. :hai:

And murder, of course, is the best problem solving tool. Eat the Fartcrabs it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Zaodai posted:

And murder, of course, is the best problem solving tool. Eat the Fartcrabs it is!

To kill a FartKrab is not murder it is the path to dinner!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
These are the victuals of the starship Indigestion.
It's five course mission:
To explore strange new tastes,
To seek out new livestock and new seasonings,
To boldly eat what no gourmand has eaten before!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

10 Jan, 1103hrs

Repairs are ongoing on the few remaining damaged ships.

Word arrives from Ranginui on the latest discoveries, nothing major this time around.

10 Jan, 1633hrs

Cornucopia picks up the Alien survivors and begins attempts to communicate - stay tuned!

The DE Rapid Unplanned Disassembly is still adrift after the first encounter with the Aliens. The Cornucopia moves to tow her back to Ranginui for repairs.

11 Jan, 0036hrs

Triiton fleet arrives at the Jump point and secures the entrance to Ranginui. Due to their obsolete ships an having no way to bring back the larger ones and their missile heavy loadout they are tasked to provide overwatch and facilitate communications to the Exploration fleet until the Dreadnoughts arrive.

12 Jan, 0036hrs

Damaged and non-nebula combat capable ships are withdrawing to Ranginui as the fleet redeploys from peaceful exploration to war footing.

13 Jan, 0736hrs

Another day passes. SS Farseeker is approaching the unexplored jump point.

Survey reports trickle in from the moons of the gas giant in the Pit. The large 12th moon is an excellent colonisation prospect and is extremely rich in several sorts of TNE.

14 Jan, 2226hrs

SS Farseeker transits the unexplored jump point in the far south of the Pit.

As the jump disorientation wears off her crew come round to the screaming of multiple proximity alarms.

She has performed a combat jump and the automatics have kept her engines burning hard. As the sensors recover information starts to stream in.

Thirteen thousand kilometers away is a large Terran task force built around two battleships!

The Terran commander is yelling at them over the comms and ordering them to stand down and surrender. As she turns on her active a flight of five fighters appears at point blank range already painting her with ranging lasers!

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 30, 2017

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

They're like rats. Bloody everywhere.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
If its war they want, war they shall have!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
No, gently caress this. Stand down. Share our Jump-Map. Show them we came from the Pit. Ask them where they came from.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
At least they have minds that can be reasoned with.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So do we just scream on all frequencies that we're an unarmed exploration vessel and don't loving shoot you idiots we're humans? Seems like the simplest solution.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Just hail them back and sort this poo poo out. This doesn't need to be complicated.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

UT Falcon doesn't seem to have active sensors. Interesting.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, don't make this more difficult than necessary.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

LLSix posted:

UT Falcon doesn't seem to have active sensors. Interesting.

My guess is it's a bomber that relies on AWACS (the Owl) just like the acquisitions and profits of the IC. The Harrier's sensor makes it look like a beam interceptor.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah back when we saw a flight of UT fighters after Second Titan that was the conclusion we reached based on size and numbers. The Owl is an AWACS, the Harrier is a beam interceptor, and the Falcons are bombers. Still, nice to get some more data and confirm that.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Lower shields, stop, and turn on the transponder? Seems like the best way to sign peaceful intentions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, yeah, activate our transponder. I forgot that was a thing in Aurora, but it should definitely help.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
I mean, it's not surprising, we knew they were likely in the system and they had to come from somewhere.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"Sorry, we just jumped in from one of our systems, we had no idea the jump point led here :v:"

(Seriously though, the Pit is ours. It's only one jump from Rangi, and at least two if not more from Nova Sol. Ours.)

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Do the fartcrabs not get a say in that matter?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

mossyfisk posted:

Do the fartcrabs not get a say in that matter?

Fried or steamed?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dress up as Fart Krabs and Gank Prank the Terran Battlegroup!

Lets see how well their Battleships stand up to Ranginui and Hellas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can we rename the ranginui and the hellas to Thousand Island and Hollandaise?

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Added Space posted:

Lower shields, stop, and turn on the transponder? Seems like the best way to sign peaceful intentions.

Quoting this! No need to complicate things further.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Oh, for gently caress's sake! HOW GRID-LIKE IS THIS loving JUMP GRAPH?!

Added Space posted:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Guys I think we are all missing the most important point about fart crabs here. They are sentient (presumably) and can thus be used to pay the jump tax. Lock some up in cages on an otherwise automated (but not full AI) ship and use that to jump through resources and components without anyone we care about getting hurt.

There is no way this plan can possibly go wrong in anyway whatsoever. Start farming with our live specimens immediately.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Pharnakes posted:

Guys I think we are all missing the most important point about fart crabs here. They are sentient (presumably) and can thus be used to pay the jump tax. Lock some up in cages on an otherwise automated (but not full AI) ship and use that to jump through resources and components without anyone we care about getting hurt.

There is no way this plan can possibly go wrong in anyway whatsoever. Start farming with our live specimens immediately.

We will use the whole buffalo fartcrab.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pharnakes posted:

The best plan yet.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

The moment where the horrors from beyond the veil recoil and say "what the hell, mortals?"

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 30, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Rawkking posted:

The moment where the horrors from beyond the veil recoil and say "what the hell, mortals?"

That means they're not wiping us out. Sounds like a win to me!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

LLSix posted:

The best plan yet.

I've just had an even better one.

Forcing jump points is always bloody right? Well, fully AI controlled ships with the requisite complement of fart crabs. The AI may or may not go crazy on transiting the jump point but we don't care since the only thing they can express said craziness on is the fart crab defenders on the other side. In addition to the AI the ships are also fitted with suicide devices totally independent of the AI and controlled with minimalist routines that will render the ship safe by lobotomising the AI core on receipt of a signal from any of our ships. We send in the AI ships, give it a few hours for the dust to settle then jump in ourselves and either finish off the weakened crabs if they won or else send the signal to destruct the AI cores if our brave crab warriors carried the day.

Such a system would also allow us to upgrade our current fleet of interplannetary missiles into truly inter system missiles. We can just sit on our side of the jump point and throw endless hordes of missiles at the other side until we know all resistance is suppressed before we move in.

The applications of this concept are truly limitless. Rapid multi jump couriers. First to jump scouts. Automated mineral delivery hooked up to mass driver networks. Insanely evil torture device. The list goes on.

And the best part? assuming that they work remotely like earth invertebrates do, we can probably get hundreds if not thousands or even millions of eggs from each female example and thus we will rapidly be able to meet the demands of even a project of this scope.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Jump drives are still big and expensive, jumpcraft will still get the gently caress punked out of them after jumping into a fortress, and we're still fanatics so there's no shortage of volunteers for suicide missions anyhow.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Or the Jump Point Gods have a sense of humour and will turn the things hostile on contact with the jump points but still on our side.

Besides we still eat the TNE costs and it's not like crews are scarce. And salvage is a pain.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Y'all act like these things aren't already jump slaves for some hostile AI.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Not Alex posted:

Y'all act like these things aren't already jump slaves for some hostile AI.

Tasty tasty Jump slaves.

We could mitigate the risk of rogue ships by just going for a simple scripted response system. AIs are vulnerable. The automated systems on our animal farm jump probes did not seem to have the same problems.

Jump, engage actives, IFF check for friendlies, destroy all other targets. After some time, send one vessel to call in the fleet.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Or we can use all those +/- fanatics we have on hand, who are capable of making decisions when faced by a new situation, also, that'd spare us the effort and keep more resources not making weird designs.

(And if we had used an autoprobe, it would have shot up those UT ships if they weren't running their transponders.) (Also it might not be worth risking the diplomatic incidents with other space faring empires that are just hanging about.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
+/- xenovores

cannonfodder43
Jul 15, 2004
We need to make sure Terra understands the pit is the exclusive domain of Mars Off-World Fisheries. If any of our livestock comes through their wormhole, we expect it to be returned immediately.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Do ships jumping need to do it on the point, or can combat jumps allow for immediate jumps back?

Either way I feel like the diplomatic corps really needs to hash something out with Terra about these kinds of situations so that there's no wars started from exploration.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Do ships jumping need to do it on the point, or can combat jumps allow for immediate jumps back?

Either way I feel like the diplomatic corps really needs to hash something out with Terra about these kinds of situations so that there's no wars started from exploration.

Jumps out need to be on the point, combat jumps can arrive distant from the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Ok, thanks.